Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

What is your opinion on Chainsaws, and other forms of similar cutting instruments? It seems everyone has opinions about things today, and I wondered, what about Chainsaws, and what they do?

On the one hand, they are a significant leap in technology compared to handsaws or even two-man saws, simplifying the task of cutting things, particularly trees, by using modern technology to create a form of fast flowing engine to move to the teeth blades, rather than human power. Not only does this take the work off of a human, but it makes it possible to get up to speeds and consistencies simply impossible to do before, even with maximum human assertion. While chainsaws are just another symbol of technological development, there are many potential viewpoints on Chainsaws. 

Speeding up the Rate of Work
A chainsaw (or chain saw) is a portable, mechanical saw which uses a set of teeth attached to a roller chain that runs along the blade. It is used in activities such as tree felling, limbing, bucking, pruning, to fell snags and assist in cutting firebreaks in wildland fire suppression, and to harvest firewood. Where large industrial chainsaws can't work, hand held chainsaws and people are sent in to take down large trees, so as to clear these trees that are in otherwise hard to reach places that a large vehicle can't get to. Since they are controlled by a machine, they are somewhat of a danger since a person can use against themselves and have a hard time turning it off; however, with various safety measures, automatic sensors and guards to prevent the blade from turning back on the user, they are much more practical to use regularly, but typically more expensive. Special chainsaws can cut concrete, brick and natural stone. These use similar chains to ordinary chainsaws, but with cutting edges embedded with diamond grit. They may use gasoline or hydraulic power, and the chain is lubricated with water, because of high friction and to remove stone-dust. 

Most often however, they are used for logging, and maintenance work. Chainsaws can remove a lot of the human work; where as a typical saw requires multiple people and the right set up, chainsaws can do several times the work, eating through trees, and can also do it faster. Not only this, but it takes the work off of the person, meaning they can cut down more trees, say those blocking the path of a road, or even other obstacles in their immediate area. They also can work at weird angles, such as high up in a tree, and their speed additionally reduces the problems associated with being at the awkward angle for extended periods of time. While they tend to be worse at larger trees, their ability to go back over other cuts allow them to still be useful. In fact, with large enough trees, say those unable to be cut down in a single swipe by a chainsaw, you want to make sure you allow it to fall the proper direction, and thus need to cut down the tree incrementally, like this, making multiple angled cuts, or else it won't fall in the ideal direction. Thus it's actually ideal for that purpose, as well.

Environmental Impact
Some people take issue with the Chainsaw's potential environmental issues. Ranging from the gasoline powered engine's consuming fossil fuels, to the dangers of logging, many people's primary complaint against Chainsaw's revolve around this and safety. While the safety varies depending on the model, meaning there are more and less safe models (with admittingly some being extremely dangerous), however the environmental impact is somewhat harder to solve. 

Even when using an electric chainsaw, it still consumes electricity, which can potentially pollute the environment if that energy is gotten from such a fuel (a problem known as a "longer tailpipe"). While easier to control in many ways, with sophisticated safety features, they also tend to be more expensive and carry additional complications, largely regarding power. Still, it is significantly more efficient to use a turbine than a smaller, simpler engine. 

As for the dangers of logging, it really depends on where and how often you log. While logging in and of itself can be dangerous due to the weight and height of the obstacles they are clearing, illegal logging (and the illegal crime it brings up) as well as over logging by corrupt or careless individuals can cause problems by deforesting an area; when all the trees are gone, no more new trees are found, and loggers can move on to new areas. Due to the fact that this method of logging would put the loggers out of business, and for some consideration of the environment they too have begun slowing their activities or growing tree farms, allowing them to compensate for the environment. The long term problem with this objective is soil depletion however, although trees generally don't need key nutrients available to ordinary food crops. Despite the fact it makes such activities as forest depletion and illegal logging easier, they could likely use other similar materials to complete their objective, and it speeds it up for your average logger or person. 

While I personally wouldn't mind concrete construction becoming common, wood is one of the most common house and furniture building materials in existence. Mahogany is particularly prized due to it's high strength and preferable characteristics, however all wood is used frequently in construction. Concrete could be superior in many ways, as it is a better thermal battery; while not a good thermal insulator per say, it retains heat and resist heat changes fairly well, meaning it's hard to cool down or warm up, making it ideal for areas with variable temperatures for staying consistent, such as deserts. However, stacked with insulation it can produce extremely high heat retention values, increasing the efficiency of warming and cooling. It's also stronger and fireproof, and could prevent many structure fires, as well as being around the same price as wood for something fairly considerable, such as 8-12 inches of concrete). In addition, concrete homes would be easier to build in some ways, more resistant to environmental issues such as hurricanes or tornadoes, and when removing brick likely even cheaper; with fiberglass added and sealants to prevent water erosion, the life of such a structure could easily be more than 50 years (such as with a bridge), meaning they could last a much longer time, as well. However wood is simply cheaper and at the present more widely available, as well as the preffered material. 

So Invicta?

What do you think of Chainsaws?

Edited by Manoka, 27 October 2014 - 03:00 PM.

Member Awards ()

#2 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

I have 2

Homelite 16"  42cc 

Stihl model MS 390 64cc

Manly  :)

Member Awards ()

#3 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

Why is this even in the politics forum?

Member Awards ()

#4 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

Why is this even in the politics forum?

Becuase dis is sirz bizness. 

Member Awards ()

#5 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

Why the fuck don't I have mod powers. At least I'd move these to the chat room where they belong.

#6 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

Why the fuck don't I have mod powers. At least I'd move these to the chat room where they belong.

It's obvious you don't understand the intricate nature of Chainsaw politics. 

Member Awards ()

#7 Dre4mwe4ver

Dre4mwe4ver

Screaming Red Ass

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 729 posts
  • BJ Points:2
  • Ruler Name:Dre4mwe4ver
  • Nation Name:Fidensgen
  • IRC Nick:Dre4mwe4ver
  • Alliance Name:GATO
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

Manoka, I'm not saying I'd let TheRebel have his way with you if I were Invicta gov't, but I am saying I'm not Invicta gov't.

Member Awards ()

#8 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:28 PM

Manoka, I'm not saying I'd let TheRebel have his way with you if I were Invicta gov't, but I am saying I'm not Invicta gov't.

This whole time D,:

YOU LIED TO ME! 

I thought you were Gov :(

Member Awards ()

#9 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

Seriously. Fuck off to the chat room.

#10 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

Done.

Member Awards ()

#11 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

Done.

Nuuuuuu why?

This is political. 

I added stuff about the environment and everything. o_o

So I c how it is, now the political lords get to tell me if my ideas are important or not. 

Member Awards ()

#12 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

Nuuuuuu why?

This is political. 

So I c how it is, now the political lords get to tell me if my ideas are important or not. 

The environmental stuff is why I didn't move it this afternoon when I first saw it. However, so far, it seems that it's not spawning conversation relevant to that.

And yes, I do get to :awesome:

Member Awards ()

#13 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

Nuuuuuu why?

This is political. 

The environmental stuff is why I didn't move it this afternoon when I first saw it. However, so far, it seems that it's not spawning conversation relevant to that.

<3

#14 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:21 PM

Nuuuuuu why?

This is political. 

But isn't that everyone else's fault for the moment, why does it get moved D:

Member Awards ()

#15 Jumbo

Jumbo
  • Former Member
  • 203 posts
  • Ruler Name:Jumbo
  • Nation Name:General Police
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:23 PM

I don't wont a The Rebel 2.0 :)

Spoiler

#16 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

Nuuuuuu why?

This is political. 

But isn't that everyone else's fault for the moment, why does it get moved D:

Cause the lords of the forum and popular demand says so. Story end.

#17 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

Chainsaws are great if you need to massacre people. Especially in Texas.

Member Awards ()

#18 Dre4mwe4ver

Dre4mwe4ver

Screaming Red Ass

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 729 posts
  • BJ Points:2
  • Ruler Name:Dre4mwe4ver
  • Nation Name:Fidensgen
  • IRC Nick:Dre4mwe4ver
  • Alliance Name:GATO
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

I like hatchets.

Member Awards ()

#19 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

Chainsaws are great if you need to massacre people. Especially in Texas.

Member Awards ()

#20 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is a great movie. :)

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users