Photo

The Trump Show

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: The Trump Show (17 member(s) have cast votes)

How long will it be until Donald Trump's presidential campaign flares out?

1. < 1 month, i.e. a matter of days or weeks (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 1 month (he'll be out by Halloween) (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. 2 months (he'll be out by Thanksgiving) (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. 3 months (he'll be out by Christmas/New Year's day) (3 votes [17.65%])

5. 3+ months (he'll stay until the last moment) (3 votes [17.65%])

6. Sometime during the primaries (3 votes [17.65%])

7. He won'r flare out, he will become the Republican nominee and the GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

It's pretty fair at this point to say that the race for the Republican nomination has become The Donald Trump Show™. There were a few chinks in his armor the other night at the debate, in particular when Carly Fiorina shot invisible beams of pure hatred at him and put him in his place. The subtle little eye roll at Trump's subsequent clumsy attempt at flattery was just icing on the cake.

For most of the debate the other candidates treated Trump like your drunk, loudmouthed, vaguely racist uncle (we've all got one) at Thanksgiving. And it was clear that Trump was out of his league, details-wise. But what these other guys are missing is that none of that matters. A candidates' ability to cite facts and figures or deliver canned lines about their records or the future of America, blah blah blah. All of that is what typical politicians do. Good ones, like everyone on that stage, do it very well. But Trump is not a politician. He is, as was said in the debate, an entertainer. He is not coming at this from a politician's point of view; he is coming at it like reality television.

Trump's antics did not play well in the Reagan library, where the debate audience consisted of 500 establishment high rollers. That's not his crowd. He got only tepid applause for most of the night, and at times looked distinctly awkward, as when he tried to "high five" Ben Carson, only to have it descend into some sort of weird handshake/victory sign. I'm not sure. I'm not sure Trump knows. He was just doing his best to save face.

But Trump soldiered on, despite the lack of support in the room, because he was playing to the cameras. To his legions of adoring fans, it doesn't matter that the snobs looked down on him. In fact it probably helps him, making him even more sympathetic and therefore likable. They like watching Trump act like a bully to the GOP Old Guard (for example, spending the entire night laying the smackdown on Jab Bush like an errant baby brother, to the point of provoking a tantrum when Trump criticized Jeb's REAL brother). Most thinking people would say that Trump came off as a misogynistic ass, but a big chunk of the American electorate doesn't meet that standard.

Despite the mainstream media's desperate attempts to whip up controversy over Trump's failure to correct a racist yahoo in the audience, his support seems undiminished. His poll numbers, at least nationally, have only grown, at least according to Breitbart. But Carly Fiorina has leaped to second place, and Fox has her ahead in New Hampshire. A chink in Trump's armor indeed.

I think we're going to see Trump flare out, the only question is when. My hunch is that it will be before any actual votes are cast, i.e. before February 1, 2016, the date of the Iowa Caucuses. There are 135 days between now and then, so we could be in for another four months of the Trump Show. But I don't think it will be that long. I bet it's over by Thanksgiving.

Member Awards ()

#2 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

I'm with you on this one. I'd say probably by Thanksgiving. It was an interesting debate though and Trump held his own okay. Rubio actually stuck out a little more to me. And carly, something about her I really don't like.

Member Awards ()

#3 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

John Kasich should prevail at the end of all this Trump bs. (I hope so anyway)  ;) ((or Im jumping ship and voting for Bernie))  :P

Member Awards ()

#4 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:27 AM

i wouldnt mind a paul/kasich team running against the dems...with either one as the nominee and the other as his running mate....would be interesting

#5 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:19 AM

I'm not going to interfere in your internal politics, but just want to say that the pool options of this thread should be adjusted, by splitting the last one into at least two. It's one thing to get the nomination, quite another to win the Presidency, and yet a totally different thing to be a great president (let alone "the greatest"). As they are now, the pool's options seem politically biased.

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

The latter half of that option was kind of a joke, Draculea. :P

What's the Romanian take on all this? Does Trump get any coverage there?

Interesting new poll out today still has Trump in the lead, but by a significant 8 points less than before, from 32% to 24%. Carly Fiorina has jumped to second at 15%, and Ben Carson is now in third at 14% (although the statistical difference between the two, given the margin of error, is nonexistent). All outsiders who have never held office, as the mainstream media LOVES to keep telling us.

Marco Rubio also did well for himself in the debate, apparently, because he is now in 4th place at 11%, while poor Jeb Bush is now in 5th at 9%.

Heh.

So Carly Fiorina definitely inflicted some damage on Trump. But I don't think the polls are yet reflecting the fullness of the anti-Muslim flap and Trump's response to it, which I think is actually going to help him. I wouldn't be surprised if we see his polls go back up. We'll know in a couple of days.

Member Awards ()

#7 Molagbal

Molagbal

AWESOME

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 217 posts
  • Ruler Name:XxHouseArrestXx
  • Nation Name:Poland
  • IRC Nick:Molagbal
  • Alliance Name:North Atlantic Defense Coalition
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

John Kasich should prevail at the end of all this Trump bs. (I hope so anyway)   ;) ((or Im jumping ship and voting for Bernie))   :P

This, hes my favorite candidate and it pains me to see him polling so low, Most of the other republican candidates have no chance to win a general election.

Anyway going back to the trump show, as soon as people will start asking for policy details more he will start to fall.  We saw in this previous debate even he had trouble with that, Trump has very few solid policies in place.

#8 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

John Kasich is far too reasonable to get the Republican nomination.

Member Awards ()

#9 Molagbal

Molagbal

AWESOME

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 217 posts
  • Ruler Name:XxHouseArrestXx
  • Nation Name:Poland
  • IRC Nick:Molagbal
  • Alliance Name:North Atlantic Defense Coalition
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

John Kasich is far too reasonable to get the Republican nomination.

This truth saddens me so :(

This is in part because the media loves to cover the republican primaries, its like a circus show and everything will be public.  These recent republican debates got record numbers of people tuning in...why?  Because the circus show called trump.  The democrats on the other side get far less media coverage for their primaries (at least recently) so people don't hear about whatever absurd things they say over there, I imagine democrats have to go stronger "left" in their primaries.  

Edited by Molagbal, 20 September 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#10 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, we get coverage. There are much hotter issues going on in Europe right now, trust me.   :)

#11 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

I think Trump might make it to the Primaries. I also think that some shifty backroom dealing is going to need to be done to prevent him getting the nomination.

Also, even if he gets the nomination, I have a vague but unshakeable feeling that the Republican senators will just vote in Marco Rubio or something instead. Cause the Republican hierarchy know he's bad news. It's just their grassroots pleb army that's with him.

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

Senators do not have that power. The nominee is chosen by a majority of delegates to the nominating convention, and once chosen there is jack shit the Senate can do about it.

Ironically, a few years ago the GOP set up a system of rules and front-loaded primaries that benefited frontrunners, who up until then had always been the Republican Establishment's guy. This time it's not. If Trump makes it to the primaries and doesn't self-destruct, the very system the party leaders put in place could be their undoing. Trump could run the table and lock up the nomination by the end of March.

I don't think that is going to happen. I think Trump will self-destruct before then. I don't think he even really wants to be president, except maybe for the ego trip. But I doubt he even seriously wants the nomination and the kind of financial scrutiny it would bring. Then again, maybe he's as delusional as he looks.

Member Awards ()

#13 Allant

Allant
  • Former Member
  • 207 posts
  • Ruler Name:Allant I
  • Nation Name:Paxico
  • Alliance Name:The Legion
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

I don't think that is going to happen. I think Trump will self-destruct before then. I don't think he even really wants to be president, except maybe for the ego trip. But I doubt he even seriously wants the nomination and the kind of financial scrutiny it would bring. Then again, maybe he's as delusional as he looks.

So I have been wondering how many are actually in this to be president and not to become so called "Brandidates" either to establish a wacky following of people that will watch/listen to the radio/tv show they are wanting after the race or just hoping to snag roles in the administration. 

Or sell a lame ass political book 

#14 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

The Trump Show

You mean Fox news?! :awesome:

Member Awards ()

#15 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:48 AM

So I have been wondering how many are actually in this to be president and not to become so called "Brandidates" either to establish a wacky following of people that will watch/listen to the radio/tv show they are wanting after the race or just hoping to snag roles in the administration. 

Or sell a lame ass political book

I wonder the same thing. I think it takes a certain amount of ego to run for president, so probably on some level all of them think they could win. But for a few of them it's got to be little more than a daydream. Ben Carson is a good example. Or Mike Huckabee. Even Rand Paul, for that mater, while he might like to win, must surely know that it is the longest of long shots. 

On the other hand, I suppose there's nothing to lose. As long as they don't embarrass themselves (coughcoughrickperrycoughcough), a run for president can only increase their visibility, their "brand," and thus their ability to raise money and have an impact on the national stage. It turns them into celebrities, and who wouldn't want to be a celebrity?

Member Awards ()

#16 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:32 AM

Senators do not have that power. The nominee is chosen by a majority of delegates to the nominating convention, and once chosen there is jack shit the Senate can do about it.

Ironically, a few years ago the GOP set up a system of rules and front-loaded primaries that benefited frontrunners, who up until then had always been the Republican Establishment's guy. This time it's not. If Trump makes it to the primaries and doesn't self-destruct, the very system the party leaders put in place could be their undoing. Trump could run the table and lock up the nomination by the end of March.

Wait really? I thought the Senators were elected, and then they elected the president.

#17 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

Wait really? I thought the Senators were elected, and then they elected the president.

Oh my no. It's WAY more complicated than that.

Senators are directly elected by the people of their state. Whoever gets the most votes wins. That part is simple enough.

Presidents, however, are elected by a clunky and old-fashioned system called the Electoral College. The way it works is this: Each state gets a number of electoral votes equal to its total number of senators and representatives. So, for example, my state of Massachusetts gets 11 (2 senators + 11 representatives). All states have two senators, but the number of representatives varies according to population. California has the most electoral votes (55), and a few states, like Wyoming and Alaska, only have 3 each (2 senators + 1 representative).

Whoever wins the most popular votes in a given state (not necessarily a majority, just the most), wins ALL of that state's electoral votes. (There are two exceptions to this rule, Nebraska and Maine, which divvy up their electoral votes according to popular vote percentages.) So think about that for a minute. If a candidate wins California by only ONE popular vote, they get all 55 of the Golden State's electoral votes. Or they could win 100% of California's popular vote and they'd still get 55. It makes no difference.

The end result is a system in which it makes no sense for a candidate to spend any time campaigning in a state they have no hope of winning. That's why Democrats rarely spend much time in Texas or the South, while Republicans don't do much campaigning in the Northeast or California. It's a waste of their time. Even if they managed to win 49.9% of the popular vote in a "hostile" state, they would still lose in the electoral votes, which is what counts. It also means that a candidate can be elected president while actually losing the popular vote, as happened in 2000 with George W. Bush. More people voted for Gore, but Bush got more electoral votes.

It takes 270 electoral votes to be elected president. Because of the nature of "red" and "blue" states, we have a pretty good idea of what the major parties' baseline electoral totals are going to be even months before the election. Massachusetts is sure not going to vote for the Republican, for example. No more than Alabama is going to vote for the Democrat. So presidential races are decided in the dozen or so "swing" states that can go either way. For 2016 the map looks like this:

swing-states-20161.jpg

As usual, Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania are key. That's why presidential campaigns spend so much time in those places.

Member Awards ()

#18 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

It turns them into celebrities, and who wouldn't want to be a celebrity?

You are joking here, right? B-)

Member Awards ()

#19 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

It turns them into celebrities, and who wouldn't want to be a celebrity?

You are joking here, right? B-)

Not at all. Most people would love to be celebrities. Or at least they think they would.

Member Awards ()

#20 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

I think I'm just going to chalk that up to the fact that you live altogether too close to Cape Cod for comfort.

Alternatively, you're an actor.

Anyway pretty much everyone I have ever known who wasn't an actor (to be fair I've known a lot of actors) didn't want to be a celeb. Even the musicians (well except for those musicians who were also actors).

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users