Photo

Aliens, Truth, or real?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Aliens, Truth, or real? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Aliens, Truth, or real?

1. Yes. (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No. (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Maybe. (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Hail Satan. (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. ...roll legion. Or Invicta. (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

Aliens, Truth, or real? The answer to that question is a definite, resounding maybe. 

Since the dawn of time, it is probable, if not almost certain, that aliens have existed in some form or another. While their likelihood on earth is considered rather low, the chance of alien life in the universe, somewhere, is considered so high it's almost statistically certain. It would make less sense that, when chemicals are effected in such a certain way, that they wouldn't respond the same way everywhere in the universe, such as with the right temperatures, ingredients, and so on. While many put forward the goldilocks zone as a reason as to why life might be rare, I personally believe it's a lot more common. The goldilocks zone only determines the temperature of a planet, on it's surface. 200 miles beneath a frozen ocean surface could be much warmer, just like how the core of the earth is warmer, and certain planets, such as Neptune, if they were just slightly closer to the sun, could likely support life, and may already in some small form of another. Not only this, but various animals, termed extremophiles, are capable of surviving a much wider variety of temperatures. Even large animals, such as tardigrades, otherwise known as water bears (such as the one in my profile), are known to exist! In fact, their genetic lineage is incomparable to any other species on earth, and science has had trouble classifying them as a result, which means, they may in fact be alien life, themselves! 

However, the prevalence of intelligent alien life, at least comparable to ourselves, may be less common. While it would be difficult to explain why we haven't been contacted yet, in geological times, 1 alien visit per few hundred years would be incredibly common, which means we may have been visited by aliens as of yet. In fact, we may have mistaken them for Gods, which is where many of the biblical stories come from. In fact, just a single UFO touching down would have been dismissed as a fake or hoax, and thus garnering widespread belief for it would be low, even if it had occurred. 

Aliens may not be allowed to interfere with our development. Like with Star Trek, where they aren't allowed to interfere with fledgling aliens, so wouldn't an intergalactic coalition of planets be allowed to, either. They may be forced to leave us alone, until they're ready, and so they may just be monitoring us, for the most part. A hyper drive bends light and other forms of radiation along with the fabric of spacetime, so if you could theoretically build a hyper drive, you could become virtually invisible from nearly all forms of detection, except for maybe the lense that views earth. 

So, this is a no holds bar, unrelinquished view of alien life, where I will not judge your opinion! For the most part. 

What is your belief on aliens?!

Member Awards ()

#2 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

no, hail satan, roll legion

Member Awards ()

#3 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

Science.

Member Awards ()

#4 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

Triple Agent for the Queen

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Ruler Name:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Name:Dal Riata
  • IRC Nick:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

Where's the vote for this to be placed in the Strip Club, where it belongs?

Member Awards ()

#5 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

Where's the vote for this to be placed in the Strip Club, where it belongs?

Narc.

Member Awards ()

#6 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

Aliens exsist. Because Stephen hawking said so. Its mathematically impossible for their not to be other life out there in space. Now, I'm not a math guy, I prefer regular olde logic. So logically speaking, the universe is fucking enormous. Every star in the sky is another sun out in the universe with its own planets and star systems and the like. Also, the nearest sun to us other then our own is what, 35 light years away I think it was. So even if we could travel the speed of light, it would still take 35 years to get there. So basically, I'm saying we don't know shit. We can't even get near all the stars in the sky. And with all those damn stars in the sky, you gotta know one of them have life. They just have to. Maybe not those Grey guys. But there is other life out there. I think its kind of ignorant to say there isn't, since we are so ignorant ourselves about the universe.

Member Awards ()

#7 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

There may also be no life but ourselves, as the universe may be biased.

#8 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

Stephen Hawking has said a lot of stuff that turned out to be wrong.

I wouldn't say it is mathematically impossible that there is no life anywhere else in the universe, but it is highly, highly improbable. So improbable as to be all but impossible in practical terms. Still, in science it's important to be precise. And that usually means avoiding absolutes like "impossible."

Member Awards ()

#9 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Ruler Name:wildbillhkhk
  • Nation Name:Bilee
  • IRC Nick:WB
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

I'll believe in aliens when I poke one with my finger. Untill then I can't know for sure.

#10 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

I'll believe in aliens when I poke one with my finger. Untill then I can't know for sure.

well of course you cant know for sure. But with the size of the universe being what it is, to believe life only exists in this one teeny tiny part of the universe is well....bold. But then again that kind of sense of entitlement should be expected from homo sapiens.

Edited by HordeLorde, 22 October 2015 - 07:42 PM.

#11 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

well of course you cant know for sure. But with the size of the universe being what it is, to believe life only exists in this one teeny tiny part of the universe is well....bold. But then again that kind of sense of entitlement should be expected from homo sapiens.
It would be bold, that's why I'm undecided. My best guess though, life is out there but nowhere close to abundant.
I know it doesn't make me an expert of protien folding, but I used to run Folding@home on my PS3 alot, and it just seems like something that can't happen spontaneously. On the other hand, I consider the possibility that arthropods are from outer space.

In the end, I only know what I know for sure, I've seen UFOs, but I never poked one. I also wonder if the "grays" are actually demons or residents of another dimension.
[cue song: Beastie Boys - intergalactic]

Edited by wildbillhkhk, 22 October 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

Why arthropods?

Member Awards ()

#13 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

I like the options here. Hail Satan. 

tumblr_njpumu2Dyc1tgstpfo1_500.gif

#14 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

Why arthropods?

If life is abundant in the universe and there are millions of planets supporting life, perhaps some of them had an atmosphere that for some reason faded over a few billion years. there are a variety of situations where that can happen. Life on such a planet may adapt to survive under ground, in low pressure environments by evolving an exoskelton. Then since the planet has little or trace atmoshere, it gets impacted more and flings debris into space.
So perhaps not "from" outer space, just of extraterrestrial origin

Edited by wildbillhkhk, 23 October 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#15 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

That's an interesting idea. How would you account for the fact that arthropod nucleotides are composed of the same materials (adenine, guanine, cytosine, and thymine) as every other living thing on Earth? Wouldn't you expect a lifeform that evolved on a different planet to have different genetics?

Member Awards ()

#16 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

That's an interesting idea. How would you account for the fact that arthropod nucleotides are composed of the same materials (adenine, guanine, cytosine, and thymine) as every other living thing on Earth? Wouldn't you expect a lifeform that evolved on a different planet to have different genetics?

Some don't, such as Tardigrades, which are our new alien overlords! icon_kirakira_zpsnn1clgr0.gif

HAIL OUR NEW OVERLORDS! 

One of them is in my avatars! :D

Member Awards ()

#17 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

That's an interesting idea. How would you account for the fact that arthropod nucleotides are composed of the same materials (adenine, guanine, cytosine, and thymine) as every other living thing on Earth? Wouldn't you expect a lifeform that evolved on a different planet to have different genetics?

If alot of the same facors are required for life to thrive, perhaps life throughout the cosmos is not as alien as we imagine it to be.

#18 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

THAT would be really interesting, if it turns out that not only is there life all throughout the universe, but that it shares the same genetic building blocks.

Member Awards ()

#19 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

THAT would be really interesting, if it turns out that not only is there life all throughout the universe, but that it shares the same genetic building blocks.

I think more likely, it's simply a matter of what's "simplest" or able to happen with the resources available. The universe is a set age. As we understand the basic building blocks of matter, there are certain rules everything is governed by.

It's the same thing, that people in certain environments will act certain ways. Other 'types' of lifeforms are surely possible (surely?) but they're likely more 'difficult' and not the first type of species that would develop.

Member Awards ()

#20 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:19 AM

Life has been found living in Volcanoes, living in the bottom of the ocean, even living in space (although we put them there). 

The idea that life can only survive when the earth is in the goldilocks zone seems silly. 

Easily a number of things can happen. First, they could be living underground, so if the surface is too warm or too cold, they could just live underground. Second, they could live in the ocean, so if the surface is ice or what have you, life could be below the surface.

Thirdly, life can survive in extreme environments, even if they're too cold or too warm. The idea that is has to be in this perfect Goldilocks environment has more or less been blown out of the water. 

Finally, people look at it too narrowly. There could be say a moon that is ideal for life, even if it's not just like earth, which uses a larger planet's magnetosphere to block out radiation. Neptune has the same gravity of earth (about 15% greater), and a silicate surface, which means other planets like it could potentially be harboring life. They have all the ingredients necessary, nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen, even oxygen. If neptune was just a little bit closer to the sun, it likely would have life on the surface. 

Planets naturally seek homeostasis. Venus is too hot, now, but back when it had an ocean, it had a very thick atmosphere of water. People get worried that the earth will warm up if say, water vapor is created from the oceans, since water vapor is a greenhouse gas. But water vapor also blocks out sunlight, in the form of clouds. If the entire earth was covered in clouds, it would block out a lot of sunlight, and thus make the earth cooler. So, if the earth ever got too hot, there'd be tons of water vapor turning in to clouds, cooling the earth back down. The closer we get to the sun, the warmer we get, the thicker atmosphere we'll produce. Granted, this will burn out faster, which means in billions of years we'd not have life on us anymore, but also it means life would have formed faster. Neptune would produce a thicker atmosphere from the natural gas and ammonia, which would block out more sunlight, cooling it down. Venus is one the most brightest objects in the night sky due to the sulfur atmosphere, which is highly reflective. If the planet warms up, it will produce sulfur, that will reflect more light. Eventually, even the earth will "burn out" and become uninhabitable. But for a while, it will be ideal to harbor life. Mars and Venus likely were at some point. The idea that life, even intelligent life, can't exist unless under very specific conditions, also ignores that the universe naturally moves towards such conditions. It naturally seeks equilibrium, hence entropy. Hot turns cold, cold turns hot until everything reaches in the middle. The universe naturally falls in to this path. The universe naturally leans towards the creation of life. There's no reason to believe there isn't life elsewhere. It's probably just hard for humans to reach with our technology. 

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users