• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

And yes, I believe the fact that Trayvon Martin was black played a part in Zimmerman's identifying him as "suspicious."  Had he been a white kid, who knows?

Member Awards ()

#42 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

The legal wrangling might not be over, by the way.  As in the OJ Simpson case, there could still be a civil trial.  There could even conceivably be a federal civil rights case, although my sense is that would be a difficult one to prove.  But the point is that George Zimmerman may not have seen the last of the inside of a courtroom.

Member Awards ()

#43 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

http://www.reddit.co...ttal_of/cb2dzq4

The best people on the internet give you the case.

I'm seeing a strong case of self defence here.

#44 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Again, though, it's self-defense based on a situation in which he willingly placed himself, i.e. confronting Trayvon Martin.  I don't think the stand-your-ground law was meant to let you pick a fight with someone and then shoot them when they fight back.  Oddly the prosecution decided not to go at it this way.

Member Awards ()

#45 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Again, though, it's self-defense based on a situation in which he willingly placed himself, i.e. confronting Trayvon Martin.  I don't think the stand-your-ground law was meant to let you pick a fight with someone and then shoot them when they fight back.  Oddly the prosecution decided not to go at it this way.

I was fishing at my gated community today. Someone came up with a car and got out of it. They proceeded towards me. I went to the other side of the lake to continue my fishing w/o being bothered. They started coming towards me again. I ran up to them and drowned them in the lake. It was their fault for following me. I'm good right, you won't report me, right?  Yea there's a body floating in the middle of the lake in my community, but they shouldn't have been following me.

edit, oh btw, they were white.

Member Awards ()

#46 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yes, but in the situation you described you're Trayvon.  Zimmerman had no business confronting him, and had been specifically instructed not to do so by the police dispatcher.

Member Awards ()

#47 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Zimmerman is a low-level insurance agent, essentially self-employed. I've seen nothing that indicates he's got any significant money, and there is no way any lawsuit against him could implicate other people or organizations; as you mention, the police dispatcher told him to do the right thing, get out of there. I don't think a lawsuit is likely in this case. With OJ, OJ had millions, so there was a point in suing him.

Member Awards ()

#48 Shotgun Willy

Shotgun Willy

Rat Bastard

• Advisor
  • 2333 posts
  • Ruler Name:ShotgunWilly
  • Nation Name:Klein Republic
  • IRC Nick:ShotgunWilly
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

Zimmerman was also the neighborhood watch captain - it's basically his duty to keep an eye on anyone who's acting slightly suspicious. Also, the dispatcher's line about telling Zimmerman that he didn't need to keep an eye on Martin was a canned line and not binding in the slightest. If you were about to get shot by another person in front of me and I called 911 to tell them about it and they said "Well the closest police cruiser is 5 minutes away" and I said "Well, this guy is gonna shoot my friend in 30 seconds, I'm gonna go stop him" they will actually respond "You don't need to do that" - it's nonbinding and non-authoritative and ignoring such instructions is perfectly legal.

Here's a video I might suggest some people take some time and watch. Now, I have no doubt that this guy is at least somewhat biased (mostly because of his little pot-shot at Obama towards the end), but he presents a lot better case than I've seen anybody else present. If someone wants to check his sources and other reputable, non-media sources and rebuke this guy's arguments, please feel free - in fact, I eagerly await your rebuttal.

https://www.youtube....Ax5E8EJc#at=442

Member Awards ()

#49 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

Zimmerman was the sole member of the "neighborhood watch."

Member Awards ()

#50 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

He was a self-appointed captain.

Member Awards ()

#51 Shotgun Willy

Shotgun Willy

Rat Bastard

• Advisor
  • 2333 posts
  • Ruler Name:ShotgunWilly
  • Nation Name:Klein Republic
  • IRC Nick:ShotgunWilly
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Which doesn't change anything or any facts. Self-appointed or not, the same laws and such still applied, the only difference is that he felt he had a duty to keep an eye on Martin who, by reports, was apparently not terribly sober in a neighborhood which isn't exactly crime-free.

Besides, hindsight is 20/20. I firmly believe that nobody here has the right to say what Zimmerman should or should not have done in the lead-up to those events because we weren't there and we had no input into what happened. Our sources of "information" are, for the most part, incomplete at best. The mass-media has been twisting things about this case left and right in order to sensationalize this case. It's difficult at best to know what the real facts are. 

Member Awards ()

#52 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Which doesn't change anything or any facts.

Member Awards ()

#53 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Florida is a fucked-up state   :P 
The wonderful state of Florida  on the stand your ground law- (good job with this law J.Bush)

In West Palm Beach, Christopher Cote started pounding on the door of neighbor Jose Tapanes at 4 a.m. after an argument over Cote's dog. Tapanes stepped outside and fired his shotgun twice, killing Cote. A jury acquitted him. 

In Winter Springs, Owen Eugene Whitlock came home on Christmas Eve 2009 to find his daughter's boyfriend, Jose Ramirez, angrily stalking up his driveway, flexing his muscles and swinging his fists. Whitlock stood his ground and fired a fatal shot. He was not charged.

When Gerald Terrell Jones shot his marijuana dealer in the face in Brandon this year, he was charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault. A jury later acquitted him.

A Seventh-day Adventist was acting erratically, doing cartwheels through an apartment complex parking lot, pounding on cars and apartment windows and setting off alarms. A tenant who felt threatened by the man's behavior shot and killed him. He was not charged. 

Two men fell into the water while fighting on a dock. When one started climbing out of the water, the other shot him in the back of the head, killing him. He was acquitted after arguing "stand your ground."

Member Awards ()

#54 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Huh? There was no signs of intoxication according to the autopsy.

Member Awards ()

#55 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Guys I am thoroughly disappointing in all of you. This is just absurd and absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe no one commented on my joke about the street being only for cars. Jorost surely you must remember that topic. You and Haf argued about what streets were for. I am upset and on the verge of tears right now. Do you have no common decency.

Member Awards ()

#56 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Self-appointed or not, the same laws and such still applied, the only difference is that he felt he had a duty to keep an eye on Martin...

Regardless of what he felt, George Zimmerman had no "duty" to confront Trayvon Martin.

Member Awards ()

#57 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Guys I am thoroughly disappointing in all of you. This is just absurd and absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe no one commented on my joke about the street being only for cars. Jorost surely you must remember that topic. You and Haf argued about what streets were for. I am upset and on the verge of tears right now. Do you have no common decency.

Oh I noticed.  I just didn't want to get into it again.  I like to deprive Haf of any chance to go on another anti-car rant.  :)

Member Awards ()

#58 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Oh I noticed.  I just didn't want to get into it again.  I like to deprive Haf of any chance to go on another anti-car rant.   :)

But it was hilarious the first time I was just hoping to start it up again.

Member Awards ()

#59 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

lol

I'm not keen on starting another anti-car rant either; I noticed it too B-)

Member Awards ()

#60 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Self-appointed or not, the same laws and such still applied, the only difference is that he felt he had a duty to keep an eye on Martin...

Regardless of what he felt, George Zimmerman had no "duty" to confront Trayvon Martin.

Well that's the thing, I think that by being an accepted neighborhood watch captain, he believed it was his duty to try and protect his neighbors. And I think that importantly his neighbors will back him up. So, for all intents and purposes, it was his duty to do just that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users