Photo

World War III & North Korea (split from original thread)

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#41 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

In defense of the States I must say here that in Europe the British were much more keen on the latter idea than the yanks. USAAF did carry out much more day time bombing attacks aimed at industry than the RAF.

The US liked to "claim" it only did strategic "precision" bombing which is a joke considering the accuracy of bombs during World War Two meant they would commonly land upto 2 miles away from intended target due to numerous reasons.

Member Awards ()

#42 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Uhhhh.... you can see stealth planes? 

Oooh! ooh! and they make a lot of noise! :D

When they fly subsonic so they don't break the sound barrier. The B-2 is designed to fly at about 550 mph as a result of this; the F-35 can, as well. However, it can't be targeted by missiles, with noise, so, it should be fine. 

Edited by Manoka, 28 December 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Member Awards ()

#43 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

In defense of the States I must say here that in Europe the British were much more keen on the latter idea than the yanks. USAAF did carry out much more day time bombing attacks aimed at industry than the RAF.

The US liked to "claim" it only did strategic "precision" bombing which is a joke considering the accuracy of bombs during World War Two meant they would commonly land upto 2 miles away from intended target due to numerous reasons.

Right, which means trying to target these groups and accidentally missing was easy. 

They didn't deliberately go out of their way to kill lots of innocent people, and in fact it's not believed most casualties weren't in the military or weren't associated with creating weapons and such. 

That's why modern day accurate bombs like JDAM's tend to be a much better alternative. 

Member Awards ()

#44 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

Stopped reading when you tried to legitimize the firebombing of Dresden. 

If you're going to ignore everything I said because you disagree with one part... then it's easy to see how you believe the things you do. 

Member Awards ()

#45 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

a) In case of North Korea and other similar countries an argument is often used "They're more crazy than they are sane, they'll use the A-bomb first, because they're that crazy etc." .... At times I'd make the same argument about the United States. Their not sane, their crazy. In the end of the day it's just hysterical lobbing of dirt around based on no real assessment aside propaganda. 

b) Fire bombing of cities. After the World War I Italian General Giulio Douhet wrote very important book, called Command of the Air  which imminently got famous over the world. In that he states that for future wars aerial warfare will assume much greater role. He stated that an objective in war must from then on be gaining air supremacy and caring out strategical bombarding. His idea was that through this you can reduce your opponent to the level where he is unable to carry on the fight. 

Allies, much like the rest of the world, were quite influenced of the works. Well basically every air force was. The problem about it however was that Douhet forgot to specify which targets to aim. Later thinkers developed two plans for that. First of all the "bottle neck effect." Meaning you bomb specific industrial complexes creating a shortage of that particular asset across the enemy nation. For example ball bearings or oil. Both worked well in WW2. 

The other line of thinking said that the previous suggestion is not possible. Bombers flying over 5000m high are extremely inaccurate. Moreover to bomb factories you'd have to go in at day time to even have any chance of accuracy, which is much more dangerous. Instead they argued that allies must target German civilian population. The plan was to demoralize them. End of story. Demoralized people are less effective workers, demoralized nation's soldiers are less effective and all in all it can call on a coup perhaps. 

In defense of the States I must say here that in Europe the British were much more keen on the latter idea than the yanks. USAAF did carry out much more day time bombing attacks aimed at industry than the RAF. Nevertheless you were part of the terror attacks on civilian population as well, especially in Pacific theater. On a side note, that's where your nutjob General Cutis LeMay learned all his tricks. He later wanted to preemptively bomb the crap out of the USSR, with nukes.

Anyway the bombing missions aimed at civilian populations had very different signature. They were launched at nights, they used fire bombs (napalm predecessors) instead of General Purpose bombs. The firestorms created by the firebombs burned the cities and the people but left the industrial equipment quite intact, brick building walls, bunkers - left standing. 

A reason why Dresden has been the symbolic actions here, is quite simple. That city had no military importance what so ever. It was late in the war, they had no significant military installations not factories. Only possible target there was the railway - on the edge of the city. It was left untouched by the allies. German propaganda indeed blew up the numbers here. But it's not the only such attack that has happened: Hamburg (40 000 dead), Sweinemuende (23 000 dead), Pforzheim (20 000 dead), Darmstadt (12 500 dead), Kassel (10 000 dead). 

In Pacific in Operation Meetinghouse, Tokyo living areas, built of wood, with extensive civilian population per sq mile, were bombed by over 300 B-29s carrying fire bombs. 100 - 150 000 civilians died. No military importance what so ever. By the way, we're talking about same casualty number here as nuclear attacks already.

Thus horrible attacks against civilians were carried out. They were not collateral damage, they were the targets. It was a decision made in the allied HQs. And in the end of it - their plan failed. While according to US Senate's launched survey after the war the morale in Germany did in fact decrease, German economical output achieved its' height in 1944. The nation wasn't brought do its' knees by aerial bombarding but by the Red Army.  

Now fuck Korea. Just don't destroy my writing by quoting it 5 million times twisting it by demagogy. Write something nice and long in reply, it would warm my heart :) (I'm really into that WW2 aerial warfare shit) 

At the very best, according to your numbers, they didn't really kill a lot of people. The Nazis killed over 11 million in concentration camps, and countless millions more in direct attacks on civilians and mass murders. If the U.S. killed a few hundred thousand, it's awful, but it fails in comparison. It's possible that a few generals here and there got stupid and ordered bombing attacks on different cities and they were never punished for it since it was mid war and everyone figured it was likely military targets, when it turned out not to be, and whatnot, but since it's not a well established trend in general the Americans were good; holding a grudge on a handful of attacks compared to the 10's of millions killed by the enemy is stupid; accidents and mistakes will happen, but the systematic slaughter of millions is hard to deny or forgive. In comparison, we'd be a far lesser evil, and this would be a fairly rare occurrence. 

However, Dresden in particular was a military target. While estimates up to 500,000 or more casualties have been made, it was likely closer to 25,000. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II

Dresden was Germany's seventh-largest city and, according to the RAF at the time, the largest remaining unbombed built-up area.[27] Taylor writes that an official 1942 guide to the city described it as "one of the foremost industrial locations of the Reich" and in 1944, the German Army High Command's Weapons Office listed 127 medium-to-large factories and workshops that were supplying the army withmateriel.[28] The contribution to the Nazi war effort may not have been as significant as the planners thought.[29]

The US Air Force Historical Division wrote a report in response to the international concern about the bombing, which was classified until December 1978.[30] This said that there were 110 factories and 50,000 workers in the city supporting the German war effort at the time of the raid.[31] According to the report, there were aircraft components factories; a poison gas factory (Chemische Fabrik Goye and Company); an anti-aircraft and field gun factory (Lehman); an optical goods factory (Zeiss Ikon AG); as well as factories producing electrical and X-ray apparatus (Koch & Sterzel AG); gears and differentials (Saxoniswerke); and electric gauges (Gebrüder Bassler). It also said there were barracks, hutted camps, and a munitions storage depot.[32]

The USAF report also states that two of Dresden's traffic routes were of military importance: north-south from Germany to Czechoslovakia, and east-west along the central European uplands.[33] The city was at the junction of the Berlin-Prague-Vienna railway line, as well as the Munich-Breslau, and Hamburg-Leipzig.[33] Colonel Harold E. Cook, a US POW held in the Friedrichstadt marshaling yard the night before the attacks, later said that "I saw with my own eyes that Dresden was an armed camp: thousands of German troops, tanks and artillery and miles of freight cars loaded with supplies supporting and transporting German logistics towards the east to meet the Russians."[34]

An RAF memo issued to airmen on the night of the attack said:

Dresden, the seventh largest city in Germany and not much smaller than Manchester is also the largest unbombed builtup area the enemy has got. In the midst of winter with refugees pouring westward and troops to be rested, roofs are at a premium, not only to give shelter to workers, refugees, and troops alike, but to house the administrative services displaced from other areas. At one time well known for its china, Dresden has developed into an industrial city of first-class importance.... The intentions of the attack are to hit the enemy where he will feel it most, behind an already partially collapsed front... and incidentally to show the Russians when they arrive what Bomber Command can do.[35]

In the raid, major industrial areas in the suburbs, which stretched for miles, were not targeted.[6] According to Donald Miller "the economic disruption would have been far greater had Bomber Command targeted the suburban areas where most of Dresden's manufacturing might was concentrated".[36]

While many people died, there's little evidence to suggest that the majority of people were unconnected to the target, that there weren't any military targets there, and that that had no significant military importance. If the U.S. just wanted to kill people, they could have easily, easily targeted the main cities just to kill lots of people, such as munich, or even sectors in the cities where there were a lot more people and the economic impact could have been substantially more devastating. Instead they targeted, specifically, the factories, and while civilians might have been working in them, they were unfortunately supporting the war effort by the germans. The german Army at the time was being tricked by Hitler, that is 17 million or so of their soldiers, so that's a tragedy, as well. It's horrific, but at the time we had to defeat them in order to prevent them from taking over more places and doing more damage. If left to rebuild there likely would still be a nazi threat, today. 

With the U.S.'s capabilities at the time, they could have easily specifically targeted civilians at the time, and killed way more people. Each city had distinct military targets, including soldiers and factories; sadly, in the case of hamburg, the city was unusually dry at the time, and went up in flames. 

Since the U.S. wasn't just targeting economic targets, but military targets, the purpose wasn't to destroy Germany, but ultimately to liberate it. Eventually, you had to remove the guns and the soldiers to be able to do that; the attacks could have easily focused on more expensive areas or areas that had no military significance, but it was apparent they didn't do that. 

While awful, it's one of the reasons I support more military spending. With more precise and accurate bombs, this type of thing can be avoided. It is inevitable that we must stop the nazis, and thus must stop their means of production for weapons in the first place; with modern conflicts, this is going to remain true regardless of the enemy. That means accuracy is paramount and key, which takes advanced technology. 

Edited by Manoka, 28 December 2013 - 02:58 PM.

Member Awards ()

#46 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

I'm willing to believe that the U.S. had done horrible things, even on purpose. Slavery, Genocide of native Americans, the civil war, there has been a history of bigotry and violence in this country dating back to it's very foundation. Even worse accidental things, like asbestos, radiation contamination from the atom bombs, and hell, all the people killed by dumb medical practices and police officers are all tragedies. 

Any potential leak of harmful substances could kill thousands, and it's quite possible we've dumped enough toxic chemicals to inadvertently kill millions, although thousands is more likely. There are plenty of bad things we've done; hell, most corporations tend to be out of control in this country, and any attempt to regulate them is met with fears of government power expanding, or the thought of communism. There's blind ignorance and stupidity abound by people who do want to help. Did you know that the Green eco people put in taxes that make it 8 times more expensive to put in new coal plants, and that this actually supports the existing infrastructure by cementing it into place and removing any competition; or that photovoltaic cells require a tremendous amount of electricity to produce, at times just as much if not more then you'll get out? Or perhaps that "clean coal", which can produce zero emissions since it's absorbed by algae and then turned into ethonanl to be burned in the tubine, was protested, shutting some of these new plants down, but that none of the normal, very inefficient over 50 year old coal plants were? Stupid things like this help to support the people they view as the enemy without realizing it. 

But! These particular incidents were not exactly that bad. I don't see why bombing Dresden = North Korea making atom bombs. Granted we attacked these places, and it's likely, if not for certain that innocent people were killed. But not really in that huge of amounts, and not really with the systematic purpose of slaughter. We could have easily slaughtered all the Germans if that was our goal, with poison gas, newly developed atom bombs, or even soldiers given we had taken over Germany, and had over 20 million deployed soldiers at the time, a 1/3rd the population of Germany, who was demilitarized. 

But we didn't. If we really just wanted to kill them all to demoralize them, it would have been really easy to do, and we tried to avoid it, and mostly did. But that's just my perspective on it. 

Edited by Manoka, 28 December 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Member Awards ()

#47 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

I fail to see how even 10 000 people would be a small amount.

Fact remains US and British leaders intentionally targeted civilian population to kill. It was the stated, written down, documented objective. Some details differed here and there I covered it shortly in last post. 

For larger cities. See Tokyo that I just mentioned. One night. 100 000 - 150 000 dead. Living district. 

I'm not aiming here to slash out the US, though it is great fun. Sometimes I debate Russian nationalists. They're quite similar. One of them tried to explain to me how the man made famine in Ukraine in 1930s was not that bad, because unlike estimations in 1980s stood at 7-15 million dead, modern estimations are at 0.7-1 million. That's not bad at all. 

But I didn't write that WoT to point out how bad you are. I would have tackled your other things for that. But it's wrong to dismiss things like bombing of Germany, Japan, North Korea, Vietnam irrelevant. That sort of actions have huge impact. And to dismiss them as purely military action is wrong. Your armed forces have intentionally targeted civilian populations. And to clarify that was the point I wanted to make. 

This was one of the issues Chax mentioned as why Koreans hate Muricans. I understand them. 

Edited by Alyster, 28 December 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#48 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• Invicta: Knight
  • 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Stopped reading when you tried to legitimize the firebombing of Dresden. 

If you're going to ignore everything I said because you disagree with one part... then it's easy to see how you believe the things you do. 

Everything you posted was speculation and wikipedia pages. Besides, you mainly argued about the F-35 and Pakistan, neither of which was the main point of my post. 

#49 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

They didn't deliberately go out of their way to kill lots of innocent people, and in fact it's not believed most casualties weren't in the military or weren't associated with creating weapons and such. 

Wow....

General Cutis LeMay remarked that had the U.S. lost the war, he fully expected to be tried for war crimes. Presidents Roosevelt and Truman justified these tactics by referring to an estimate of one million Allied casualties if Japan had to be invaded.

Burning the majority of 67 cities down to the ground and nuking a further two cities isn't deliberately going out of their way to kill lots of innocent people?

I can see your answer now being "they were non American so not innocent"

Member Awards ()

#50 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

"At the very best, according to your numbers, they didn't really kill a lot of people. The Nazis killed over 11 million in concentration camps, and countless millions more in direct attacks on civilians and mass murders. If the U.S. killed a few hundred thousand, it's awful, but it fails in comparison."

Wait, so because the bombing of Dresden wasn't literally the Holocaust, it's okay? That's a horrible thing to say, and I hope you understand that you just made 9/11 "not a big deal" because 11 million people didn't die. 

"They didn't deliberately go out of their way to kill lots of innocent people, and in fact it's not believed most casualties weren't in the military or weren't associated with creating weapons and such."

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were chosen as targets BECAUSE they were largely civilian targets. It was to inflict civilian casualties. This may be hard for you to understand, but the United States isn't exactly the beacon of truth and justice in the world you may think it is. 

#51 Daniel P

Daniel P

Can Grant Wishes

• Minister of Internal Affairs
  • 1715 posts
  • Ruler Name:Daniel Chrono
  • Nation Name:Neutrality Force
  • IRC Nick:DanielChrono[INVICTA]
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

"At the very best, according to your numbers, they didn't really kill a lot of people. The Nazis killed over 11 million in concentration camps, and countless millions more in direct attacks on civilians and mass murders. If the U.S. killed a few hundred thousand, it's awful, but it fails in comparison."

Wait, so because the bombing of Dresden wasn't literally the Holocaust, it's okay? That's a horrible thing to say, and I hope you understand that you just made 9/11 "not a big deal" because 11 million people didn't die. 

"They didn't deliberately go out of their way to kill lots of innocent people, and in fact it's not believed most casualties weren't in the military or weren't associated with creating weapons and such."

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were chosen as targets BECAUSE they were largely civilian targets. It was to inflict civilian casualties. This may be hard for you to understand, but the United States isn't exactly the beacon of truth and justice in the world you may think it is. 

If that so. It is a war. In a war their can be no rules. The only way to win the war is to make your enemy not to fight anymore.

This weapon is to be used against Japan between now and August 10th. I have told the Sec. of War, Mr. Stimson, to use it so that military objectives and soldiers and sailors are the target and not women and children. Even if the Japs are savages, ruthless, merciless and fanatic, we as the leader of the world for the common welfare cannot drop that terrible bomb on the old capital [Kyoto] or the new [Tokyo]. He and I are in accord. The target will be a purely military one.[75]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

Does not help your statement of the U.S is immoral about targets. I don't aceppt the idea they chose the traget due to the cilivan factor.

Heck I take the A-Bomb then having millions of casualties on both sides. The japanese will fight to the last being.

Member Awards ()

#52 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:21 AM

If that so. It is a war. In a war their can be no rules. The only way to win the war is to make your enemy not to fight anymore.

r />

>This weapon is to be used against Japan between now and August 10th. I have told the Sec. of War, Mr. Stimson, to use it so that military objectives and soldiers and sailors are the target and not women and children. Even if the Japs are savages, ruthless, merciless and fanatic, we as the leader of the world for the common welfare cannot drop that terrible bomb on the old capital [Kyoto] or the new [Tokyo]. He and I are in accord. The target will be a purely military one.[75]

Does not help your statement of the U.S is immoral about targets. I don't aceppt the idea they chose the traget due to the cilivan factor.

Heck I take the A-Bomb then having millions of casualties on both sides. The japanese will fight to the last being.

Oh no no, by no means take my comment as being of the opinion that the a-bomb was the wrong choice. I think it was the right choice, but I still see it as immoral and realize full-well that had the allies lost the war, our military leaders would have been tried as war criminals. But regarding the a-bomb over a land invasion, I agree. Hell, a land invasion would have cost more Japanese innocent lives in all likelihood. 

e: we're way off topic here, by the way. My original point in bringing up Dresden was in comparing it to the destruction of North Korean villages and cities in the Korean War. Whether or not the attacks were justified, were war crimes, or were effective in the war is immaterial. If somebody firebombs your hometown, you're going to want blood. That was my point; the North Koreans do have some background for their "hate America" shit. A lot of it's propaganda, but there was a war fought and there were civilians killed. That will always breed hate. 

Edited by Ernesto Che Guevara, 29 December 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#53 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:10 AM

Double standards are strong in the Yankees. 

When we do it, it's war. When Binladen (anyone) did it, it's a crime. 

Edited by Alyster, 29 December 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#54 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

Technically there are rules, just from WW2 onwards they have got blurry and only seem to apply to the weaker opponent.

This weapon is to be used against Japan between now and August 10th. I have told the Sec. of War, Mr. Stimson, to use it so that military objectives and soldiers and sailors are the target and not women and children. Even if the Japs are savages, ruthless, merciless and fanatic, we as the leader of the world for the common welfare cannot drop that terrible bomb on the old capital [Kyoto] or the new [Tokyo]. He and I are in accord. The target will be a purely military one.[75]

That was self-deception on Truman's part to help himself sleep easier at night.

--------------------------------------------------

Direct threats of nuclear attacks is what made North Korea start developing nuclear capablities in the first place.

"Washington’s Stimson Center identify six overt warnings by high-ranking American officials since 1976 that the U.S. would resort to nuclear weapons against North Korea if warranted. But U.S. threats go back more than a half-century, to long before North Korea split its first atom."

Member Awards ()

#55 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

The Kim regime had its own reasons for wanting nuclear weapons; these reasons were not based on any realistic threat of nuclear attack.

If North Korea uses nuclear weapons it is suicide.  They know this.  The current regime cannot go on indefinitely; indeed, in recent weeks we have seen signs that it is much weaker than we previously thought.  The danger is that if their way of life is threatened, North Korea's leadership might make a suicidal decision.

Member Awards ()

#56 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

At best we can hope that China annexes them.

That would be a fun thing to see.

NK nukes China.

China turns NK into a parking lot.

Member Awards ()

#57 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Technically there are rules, just from WW2 onwards they have got blurry and only seem to apply to the weaker opponent.

That was self-deception on Truman's part to help himself sleep easier at night.

--------------------------------------------------

Direct threats of nuclear attacks is what made North Korea start developing nuclear capablities in the first place.

"Washington’s Stimson Center identify six overt warnings by high-ranking American officials since 1976 that the U.S. would resort to nuclear weapons against North Korea if warranted. But U.S. threats go back more than a half-century, to long before North Korea split its first atom."

The United States has also threatened to use nuclear weapons, most notably during Korea and Vietnam. 

http://hnn.us/article/9245

http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB195/

Threats are just that; threats. Of course the North Koreans talk big. They're the little pip on the block trying to be a big man. That doesn't mean we beat them down for it. 

#58 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

The United States has also threatened to use nuclear weapons, most notably during Korea and Vietnam. 

Threats are just that; threats. Of course the North Koreans talk big. They're the little pip on the block trying to be a big man. That doesn't mean we beat them down for it. 

Indeed

Sure threats are just threats, but when a nuclear capable country which has followed through on their threats with nuclear weapons before then you take them seriously and work to counter act the threat with your own nuclear capablities which is what China and N.Korea ended up doing.

N.Korea may talk big with their empty threats, but at the end of the day it seems they want to be left alone and have been for the most part (sanctions and grumbles from US and others) since attacking them would make S.Korea burn in retaliation is a good enough deterrent. Having a nuclear program is just the icing on the cake.

Member Awards ()

#59 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Double standards are strong in the Yankees. 

When we do it, it's war. When Binladen (anyone) did it, it's a crime. 

Well Bin Laden targeted the civilians just to kill them. We targeted a naval base and a military base. 

While more people died of radiation poison than the actual explosion, the effects of radiation were not well known at the time. If they just wanted to scare people, bomb Tokyo, right?

WWI saw far more effective and more potent chemical weapons used than in WWII, and so if the target was just as many people as possible, far superior methods were already widely available.

We bombed the factories and the bases specifically to destroy them, and it's tragic that innocent people died. I mean secretaries, even soldiers who didn't really know what was going on, it was still tragic. It's never a good thing to kill people. 

Edited by Manoka, 29 December 2013 - 11:02 PM.

Member Awards ()

#60 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Nagasaki was the only remaining naval base in Japan, after they had faced what, historians called, "annihilation", that is a complete destruction fo all their ships. This had all their remaining ships, which were newly made, and predominately kamikaze weapons, sadly. No more ships = no more power projection, no more airplanes, no more boats to carry soldiers, no more foreign attacks. Hiroshima was the base of the only remaining foreign attack infantry force by Japan. We had two options, nuke as many footsoldiers as possible, about 400,000, or their base and their command. Since Japan was heavily focused on things like, generals, and leadership, and killing yourself out of honor, we decided that killing the generals *and* completely obliterating the training facility was more ideal than killing all the soldiers, since it would effectively defeat them. 

This was to, if the Japanese didn't surrender, prevent another foreign attack, and essentially end the world war, and at least make it focused in Japan. A few more bombs could have been dropped on their armories and a few other locations, which at the time had over 80% of their guns. But we chose to refrain from this unless absolutely necessary, when we could have dropped, easily, over 20 bombs. 

If it was just to kill innocent people, we could have easily, easily done much worse, and much more powerful chemicals existed at the time. Additionally, the targets were military.

As awful as it is, we had to stop the Japanese. Imagine if the Nazis, or the Japanese, were still in control today. We're talking, another North Korea, but, actively waging war against us. I mean idk. They had to be stopped, bottom line, and completely replaced. As sad as that is, it took killing, even good men, good soldiers, to show the German soldiers what they were doing. I mean propaganda campaigns. It's crazy to think of what today would be like if they were still around. Even for their own people. 

Kyoto, which housed the emperor at the time, wasn't chosen, since it wasn't considered a very important strategic target. In addition, we made 120 fat man, and 32 little boy atom bombs. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki#Choice_of_targets

Edited by Manoka, 29 December 2013 - 11:18 PM.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users