• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1722 posts
  • Ruler Name:Rogal Dorn
  • Nation Name:qwerty nation
  • IRC Nick:RogalDorn
  • Alliance Name:Sengoku
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

since the other one turned into a couple page long debate/discussion on religion i figure this thread can go back to being about iraq.

The Judge who sentenced Saddam Hussein to death was captured and executed by ISIS.

http://www.dailymail...cuted-ISIS.html

#2 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

Yeah.

Mixed feelings there. I'm opposed to capital punishment, I would've been good with a life sentence for Saddam in the first place. Still executing judges ... is a very bad thing.

Member Awards ()

#3 Rogal Dorn

Rogal Dorn

I say old boy, jolly good show! *puff*

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1722 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

Also, new situational map.

_75756179_iraq_isis_control_country_area

#4 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

I'm fine with capital punishment, but the way it was applied in Saddam's case could really hardly be called due process, same as this execution. If you're gonna implement capital punishment, do it right ffs.

Member Awards ()

#5 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

I just don't like ISIS :P

#6 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

Well, I am too, but part of the reason why is that they do things like executing judges and POWs.

Member Awards ()

#7 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

Anyways, ISIS isn't quite as bad as a lot of people think. As terrible as what they have done is, they've only get a few thousand members and only have killed a few thousand people, so the scale of hundreds of thousands by Saddam for instance is significantly greater, more or less two orders of magnitude higher. 

Things aren't good but they don't really have that much power. The territories they've "taken over" more or less are just occupied by them, and even so it's not quite as large as previously indicated, it's more sporadic and fragmented. The whole area isn't under control by them; furthermore unconnected Kurdish forces have sprung up behind them that don't actually support them, so since they're not working with them that territory isn't ISIS's, as well.

Edited by Manoka, 24 June 2014 - 12:28 AM.

Member Awards ()

#8 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

The ISIS death toll doesn't make them less awful than Saddam, because we both know if they had his political power they'd outpace him in a matter of weeks. 

I think working with Iran is the world's best bet in this case. You know, something we should have done in 2003. 

#9 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:28 AM

Yeah but Iran doesn't want to work with the us :<

#10 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

The irony of this whole situation being that US and allies over thrown Saddam who was a Sunni and suppressed Shi'a and Kurds. Now they want to over throw a Shi'a leadership that is suppressing Sunni and Kurds...

It would be laughable if ISIS wasn't riding on the coat tails of sectarian disputes.

Member Awards ()

#11 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

Iraqi Kurdistan is, for all intents and purposes, an independent state — and a much more successful one than the rest of Iraq.  Not surprisingly, they are using the current situation to press their case for full independence.  The rest of Iraq is an ethno-religious hodgepodge of peoples who despise one another.  Not exactly a recipe for a successful country.

I am surprised that the ISIS rebels executed the judge who sentenced Saddam, because Saddam was almost as big an enemy to Islamists as the United States.  Maybe they were just mad that they didn't get the chance to kill him themselves.

Member Awards ()

#12 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

Iraqi Kurdistan is, for all intents and purposes, an independent state — and a much more successful one than the rest of Iraq.  Not surprisingly, they are using the current situation to press their case for full independence.

All the more power to 'em, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a strong proponent of Kurdish independence.

I am surprised that the ISIS rebels executed the judge who sentenced Saddam, because Saddam was almost as big an enemy to Islamists as the United States.  Maybe they were just mad that they didn't get the chance to kill him themselves.

This has nothing to do with ISIL's own ideology. It's a publicity stunt: many of the footsoldiers in ISIL's ranks—and a big source of their support even from outside their organization—are not Islamists at all, but Ba'athists and others who were supporters of Saddam's regime who are now seeing ISIL as a way to reclaim Iraq from the Shi'a-dominated government. It's certainly an interesting alliance, but I'm sure to ISIL's leadership, anyone disaffected with the current government is useful as a pawn in their grand strategy. Appealing to Ba'athists by making a spectacle of punishing those seen as responsible for Saddam's demise is propaganda, effective propaganda, nothing more, nothing less.

Member Awards ()

#13 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

Interesting.  Ba'athists and Islamists are usually diametrically opposed.  So, basically, if ISIS wins look for another bloodbath in short order.

Member Awards ()

#14 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

Interesting.  Ba'athists and Islamists are usually diametrically opposed.  So, basically, if ISIS wins look for another bloodba'ath in short order.

Couldn't help myself lol

By the looks of things, win or lose ISIS will cause a bloodbath.

I mean, haven't they already?

Member Awards ()

#15 m3g4tr0n

m3g4tr0n
  • Former Member
  • 1422 posts
  • Ruler Name:m3g4tr0n
  • Nation Name:Megatopia
  • IRC Nick:m3g4tr0n|Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

They have, but it'll increase once they have cleared out what little resistance they've faced so far.

Member Awards ()

#16 Rogal Dorn

Rogal Dorn

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1722 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

http://www.iraqinews...er-planes-iraq/

Iran transfers 88 Russian Sukhoi fighter planes to Iraq. Now the Iraqi Air Force just needs training on how to fly them I imagine.

Edited by Rogal Dorn, 24 June 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#17 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

Yeah but Iran doesn't want to work with the us :<

They do. They've offered to in the past and they've started discussing it recently as well. 

http://www.iraqinews...er-planes-iraq/

Iran transfers 88 Russian Sukhoi fighter planes to Iraq. Now the Iraqi Air Force just needs training on how to fly them I imagine.

Ace Combat time!

#18 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

The ISIS death toll doesn't make them less awful than Saddam, because we both know if they had his political power they'd outpace him in a matter of weeks. 

I think working with Iran is the world's best bet in this case. You know, something we should have done in 2003. 

My main point is that they're really not that big of a threat, not that they're not evil or whatevsz. xP

It's been blown up in the media but the majority of Iraq is more or less doing fine. 

Member Awards ()

#19 Rogal Dorn

Rogal Dorn

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1722 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

My main point is that they're really not that big of a threat, not that they're not evil or whatevsz. xP

It's been blown up in the media but the majority of Iraq is more or less doing fine. 

i dispute both of your opinions here.

They aren't a threat? how are they not a threat? they easily have at least 1/3 of iraq under their control and have billions in the bank, military hardware and they're battle hardened versus a fledgling army who's already largely collapsed in most of the north and west of iraq. they're allied with the remnants of the baath party and sunni militias bolster their numbers further. they're disrupting oil production on a large scale in the north as well.

maybe the south of iraq (basra etc) and iraqi kurdistan is doing alright but the rest isn't.

#20 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

i dispute both of your opinions here.

They aren't a threat? how are they not a threat? they easily have at least 1/3 of iraq under their control and have billions in the bank, military hardware and they're battle hardened versus a fledgling army who's already largely collapsed in most of the north and west of iraq. they're allied with the remnants of the baath party and sunni militias bolster their numbers further. they're disrupting oil production on a large scale in the north as well.

maybe the south of iraq (basra etc) and iraqi kurdistan is doing alright but the rest isn't.

Again, I never said they weren't a threat or aren't as bad morally, that aren't as big a threat as Saddam was, relatively speaking. They don't actually control 1/3 of Iraq or have it under their control, the map doesn't show the more sporadic and fragmented nature of their territory, nor the fact that their small numbers are insufficient to actually control the area with millions of people in it (in full force, they'd have about 1 person per 1000 people in these areas, at best). Billions of dollars is really small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, and they rely predominately on extortion and theft to fund their operations, which are mostly just guys with guns. 

They don't have tanks, aircraft, or anything like that, so it's primarily just firearms and home made explosives. 

The Kurdish individuals have taken over the oil fields and are trying to make their own country, but ISIS isn't really responsible for or even connected to that. 

As for allying with the old party, or trying to, the remnants of the shattered Baath party numbers in the thousands at best, meaning they aren't that formidable of a force. 

ISIS has about 3000 members, according to the largest realistic estimates; the highest estimate is around 6000. They've been cut off from the primary group, making them a smaller sub sect of an already failing organization, a consequence of sectarian internal conflict. The casualties they've inflicted measure in a few thousand, as terrible as it is for anyone to die, and that's cost them a large chunk of their troops in suicidal attacks. They maybe are responsible for 2% of the casualties in Iraq, with criminal homicide, that is just random people committing crimes, being higher than them.

It's not nice, but they're not quite as powerful as they're being portrayed as.

They have 2 billion dollars. Most of which can't be used to purchase regular goods, meaning it will only be good on the black market, which has limited goods available. Not only have their primary forces cut them off (such as Al Qeada), but they now conflict with other groups who are fighting the same enemies, such as the Islamic Front and the Free Syrian Army, whilst simultaneously fighting the Syrian government and Iraq government. Iran is getting involved in directly fighting them, as well, and Hezbollah already fights them; they're being attacked from virtually all sides. Even the Russians are showing some support for the new Iraq government. They mostly use ex soviet weapons and possess a handful of captured U.S. weapons, most of which they don't even know how to use, as they've demonstrated in their videos and general combat. 

Their biggest victory in terms of finances came from robbing a single bank, and now they act in desperation in a final move to try to take over territory. They've released large amounts of propaganda, executed civilians, and are increasingly hostile, but even so, it's mostly just posturing. As terrible as it is for anyone to die, they practically have a 1 to 1 kill ratio against unarmed civilians, meaning against a real army they're not going to do too well. The Iraq Army is really not in shambles. They possess some of the better equipment of 2nd world countries, including both U.S. M1 abram tanks and Russian upgraded T-72's, and while a 10-20% absentee rate might seem bad (as in, they can only gather about 80-90% of their forces at any given time), Mexico has about 1/16th to 1/8th of it's forces deserting a year, and America saw that high of an Absentee rate when we entered the Iraq war. They have one of the largest military's in the world, with advisory support (which provides generals, up to date satellite and CIA intelligence, and so on) by the U.S. and multiple country's, in addition to our direct support still in their country. Combined with this is the fact that they've successfully launched operations without our assistance at all, meaning they're still a fairly well standing army. Desertion rates are low, and they have support practically from the whole world, a force numbering hundreds of thousands vs. a unit of a few thousand, said broken off unit possessing enemies from almost all sides. They only get by, by sheer ruthlessness and suicidal attacks, with reluctance to attack largely in fear of a civilian response if the Iraq military were to mobilize on them (and we've already seen some kurdish movements), which may be waning soon given the support they're receiving. Basically meaning ISIS doesn't even compare. 

Edited by Manoka, 24 June 2014 - 05:09 PM.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users