Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

So we can talk about all the suprehero movies we want. When it comes to movies that have already released. What did you like? what didnt you like? What do you think couldve been done different?

With movies that are yet to be released, What would you like to see from it.

Im gonna start with Wolverine 3. This could end up being a decent film if they do it right. At least better than the other two.
If the rumored Old Man Logan story is true, we have the makings of a decent film. For those who never read the comic, Its set in a parallel universe 50 years in the future where all the villains banned together to destroy most superheros. In the story Logan accepts a job from a now-blind Hawkeye- to help him travel east to the capital of New Babylon, and deliver a secret package (which Logan assumes to be drugs).In the story he fights Red Skull and Hulk.

Ok so im sure we all already noticed some of the problems with making this into a movie. Marvel properties and Fox Properties. Hawkeye, Red Skull and Hulk all belong to Marvel/Disney; while X-men and the Floptastic 4 belong to Fox. So obviously Fox is going to either make a compromise with Disney or just stick with characters from the X-Men universe. So who might we see then? For  antagonists and protagonists(other than Wolverine), i would suggest characters who A.) would have had the power set to survive a hero haulocaust B.) Could have lived 50 years and/or C.) Havent been introduced and could be safely transplanted into the time  period.

Ill Start with Antagonists as they are usually more exciting. Personally I'd love to see Dakken kill Logan in the end with the aid of 1 or more other villains. Given my forementioned criteria; Omega Red, Sabertooth, and Wade Wilson all make sense. Not saying no one else could fill the role(Sinister, Taskmaster, Dr. Doom). It would just fit nicely together. Could you imagine if Red, Victor and Wade approached Logan and his son Dakken to try and reunite the Weapon X crew? Dakken having a thirst for some action powered by the bad attitude he inherited from his father would accept. but logan wouldnt have anything to do with it. He then enlists the help from an old friend to try and save his sons soul from turning evil.

Which leads us to  who is gonna be his counter part. I think this mostly depends on what kind of personality you want them to have and how Fox wants that personality viewed by  the audience. Nightcrawler, Gambit, Colossus, Angel, Cyclops, Quicksilver, Polaris, Rouge, or Storm could all make interesting choices for different reasons. Cable Bishop and Forge could all be part of the process as well or maybe even a a more unique character that hasnt had much page prescence in the comics but has alot of potential.

What do you guys think?

#2 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:49 AM

Idk, the wolverine films have been rather meh or silly from my experience. They were okay, but way too played up. 

I'm hoping something as legit as deadpool or cable comes in, but that's wishful thinking, and given that deadpool like, was horrible in wolverine 3... yeah...

Member Awards ()

#3 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

well Supposedly fox has made deadpool great again..... and rumors are floating around the interwebz that deadpool will become a part of te big X-men picture later on. With time travel already introduced and apocalypse coming, Cable is not to farfetched an idea to at least be easter egged and maybe even cameo'd. Theres alot to be excited about. 

As far as your comments on wolverine movies i will agree with you they were a bit silly. kinda pissed me off a bit too. Especially when they claimed Deadpool was coming at the end of the first one and Baraka showed up instead. But they exist, and they made enough money to constitute 1 more film....at least with hugh jackman. If they tried hard enough, they could loosely tie the first 2 in with little elements. Such as a Weapon X reunion and saying Wolverines little crush in the orient led to the conception and birth of Dakken. There ya go connections to first and second films made. woohoo.... now to kill hugh jackman....i mean wolverine. I seriously think this will make lots of fans happy especially because it would END this lackluster Wolverine stand-alone series.

#4 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

I like Hugh Jackman, though D:

Just not in the horrible movies, and I think that was more of a production thing. xP

Member Awards ()

#5 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

I don't really like superhero films as a rule.

I mean: Yes, I like a few of the Batman films. And I saw the first Darkman film and liked it.

But honestly, superheros come from comics. They're written as series. They work way better on TV. Most superhero films - even ones with really good casting like The X-Men - essentially are a bunch of giant explosions strung together on the screen, with not nearly enough build-up time to make the explosions properly dramatic.

I like the cast of The Flash, but they don't hold a candle to guys like Stewart and McKellen. Still I was far more moved by the kinda tear-jerking end of season one than any of the X-Men films, and I think it's simply because of the time factor. When the big explosion happens after you've been watching these people for twenty-odd hours, you're involved.

After ninety minutes, it just feels like watching the fireworks on Canada Day. (Or Independence Day. Whatever.)

With that said, I still haven't watched any of the Whedon Avengers films. Mostly because I can't wrap my head around the idea of watching Captain America and Thor, two of the dumbest superheroes ever written. Maybe they're great. I do like the S.H.I.E.L.D. show, even if the title is stupidly long. And apparently Peter MacNicol, one of the best actors of the last fifty years, appears in them, so that's good. But... Captain America?!

(Full disclosure: I did like the X-Men movies enough to own the first two on DVD. However I bought them both used for about five bucks. I wouldn't have paid more. I would probably also spend five bucks to buy a DVD of Stewart & McKellen shampooing a horse together, were such a thing to become available.)

Member Awards ()

#6 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:49 PM

I don't really like superhero films as a rule.

I mean: Yes, I like a few of the Batman films. And I saw the first Darkman film and liked it.

But honestly, superheros come from comics. They're written as series. They work way better on TV. Most superhero films - even ones with really good casting like The X-Men - essentially are a bunch of giant explosions strung together on the screen, with not nearly enough build-up time to make the explosions properly dramatic.

I like the cast of The Flash, but they don't hold a candle to guys like Stewart and McKellen. Still I was far more moved by the kinda tear-jerking end of season one than any of the X-Men films, and I think it's simply because of the time factor. When the big explosion happens after you've been watching these people for twenty-odd hours, you're involved.

After ninety minutes, it just feels like watching the fireworks on Canada Day. (Or Independence Day. Whatever.)

With that said, I still haven't watched any of the Whedon Avengers films. Mostly because I can't wrap my head around the idea of watching Captain America and Thor, two of the dumbest superheroes ever written. Maybe they're great. I do like the S.H.I.E.L.D. show, even if the title is stupidly long. And apparently Peter MacNicol, one of the best actors of the last fifty years, appears in them, so that's good. But... Captain America?!

(Full disclosure: I did like the X-Men movies enough to own the first two on DVD. However I bought them both used for about five bucks. I wouldn't have paid more. I would probably also spend five bucks to buy a DVD of Stewart & McKellen shampooing a horse together, were such a thing to become available.)

well rdj carries the first one pretty welll, the second one was weird because i was like "Look Ironman is fighting James Spader! plus an unneccesary leap into Hawkeyes home life....plus a bunch of set-up for Civil War....and Ragnarok....and Black Panther....and Infinty War parts 1 & 2.... ill agree its already insane and im worried about where this clusterfuck is headed.

I do like Superhero TV but now thats everywhere too.... Arrow i just cant watch. Its boring to me. Flash is good. Gotham is cool enough. Idk about supergirl tho..... SHEILD was cool...at first. never seen agent carter. Daredevil is interesting. Id like to see an Iron Fist show but eh.... 

See for awhile i liked movies made by marvel/disney. But then all of the sudden things got really deep and involved and tied together. So to keep up i have to see them all. And now they have spiderman back.  Now im looking at FOXs marvel movies and am glad at least The X-Men continue to do well. The originals were cool specifically the first 2....Last stand was a stretch for a trilogy. First Class was an unexpected surprise for me. Days of Future Past was totally badass. Apocalypse is gonna be sweet. Yeah Origins: Wolverine was upsetting, The Wolverine was visually cool for me but the story was so-so. I think if 3 is done right an salutes the performance of hugh jackman Wolverine 3 could be amazing. But to do properly i think that you have to spiritually seperate the Jackman from the Wolverine by killing him off in an alternate reality. 

On the DC side of things. ive been disappointed with every film other than Batman(any batman)

#7 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Arrow has really, incredibly, seriously bad actors in it. I tried watching it when it was new, didn't like it, didn't analyze why. The Flash is a spinoff from it, a fact I didn't know when it started, but found out halfway through season one when they had some crossover shit going on.

I tried watching Arrow when they had crossover episodes on. I was struck by the amazing difference in acting quality. It's like a show that was cast by people who think Van Damme is the height of cinematic excellence. The actors on The Flash aren't the best, it's not a Star Trek show or anything, but they're not like that.

Member Awards ()

#8 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

Captain America is awesome for the same reason wolverine is awesome, they're not the most powerful, so that makes their struggle more believable and real, which ends up making them bad ass as well. Also have got military roots. 

Sort of like with Batman. Wolverine is Samurai trained so, that's also pretty cool. He's also secretly a ninja! Just like Batman.

Member Awards ()

#9 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:54 AM

It's not his lack of power that I criticize, but his intense stupidity. Reading his comics as a kid, it always felt like I was reading Bullwinkle (from Rocky & Bullwinkle) but meant to be taken seriously somehow.

Thor has the same problem. And it's confusing, because Marvel gave us The Incredible Hulk, an interesting comic about a dumb superhero where being dumb is actually a problem for him.

Member Awards ()

#10 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

How are they dumb? xP

Captain America is supposed to be super smart, although not Thor.

Member Awards ()

#11 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

I mean, he's just ... an idiot.

He says shit like "I'm loyal to nothing, General ... except the Dream." and "Keep flying, son. And watch that potty mouth!"

Urrrgh. The guy's like Dubya's dumber brother.

Member Awards ()

#12 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

Idk, being loyal to ideologies seems like being better than loyal to a country; for your morals and ideology. That's the general message, which is pretty smart. 

He's also a boy scout so he doesn't like swearing. 

Seems like a bad ass to me. dramallama.gif

Member Awards ()

#13 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:23 PM

I think Captain America doesnt have the same "mmph" in the movies as he does in the comics. But as far as im concerned Captain America films are just filler til the next avengers comes out, then when it does hes amongst two scientists by nature, a god like being who knows more about the universe you could ever imagine. Thor is culturally stupid,in other words earth peoples customs and shit confuse him so he just abides as best he can. but you can blame that inadequacy on growing up in a completely different space culture and having to fight frost giants and aliens in shit all the time. Who has time for getting smart when the universe is always needing to be saved. So in my book Thor is excusable. Wolverine is an animal. He is the anthropamorphized representation of desire. Desire for vengence or love or companionship or feeling like he is a part of something bigger and better than he is or remembering his past....pick whatever you want. Sure he isnt as smart as Hank McCoy but he sure can throw down just  like Beast. Sure he isnt Professor X with all that excellent mind reading and intuition and so on but his animal like intuition is almost as good I mean how many times have the Prof and the X-Men been fighting a villain on location and Professor X gets all Darth Vader "I sense something...a precence i have not felt since....." NEVER. Its always Logan chiming in with "Someone is wearing alot of cheap cologne" In a universe filled with superhumans, i ask, do they all have to be intelligent? No Deadpool is by no means intelligent. Sure hes a smart-ass but there is a difference. Sure hes creative alot but thats not necessarily  intelligent. Hell he uses looney toon laws of physics just to pull off half of his stunts and antics. People enjoy him tho. 

#14 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:28 PM

I like Wolverine, he's an interesting character with some depth. Captain America and Thor are just symbols (of courage and strength, respectively).

Member Awards ()

#15 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

Captain America is supposed to be corny, he's a man from the 1940s. He is meant to symbolize all the (admittedly two-dimensional) aspects of being a "goodguy" that we remember from childhood, i.e. "truth, justice, and the American way" and all that (okay, that's Superman, but you get the idea). The conflict comes in when you take a character like that and place him in a modern, morally ambiguous world. We've seen a little of that in the Captain America and Avengers movies, and we'll probably see more with Civil War.

Thor is just a big strong guy. In the comics he has a whole back story about humility, with Odin sending him to Earth in the form of handicapped physician Dr. Donald Blake. But except for a brief reference in the first movie, this entire back story has been expunged from the movies, leaving him little more than a hammer and a strong right arm. Still, Chris Hemsworth does a decent job, especially given how little he has to work with, character-wise.

Fun fact about Wolverine: As originally conceived by Chris Claremont and John Byrne, Wolverine was not intended to be a mutant. He was actually going to be a genetically accelerated wolverine. Heh.

EDIT: Also, topic moved. The Geek Room is really for games and game-related stuff. Movies are really a topic for the Chat Room. :ninja:

Member Awards ()

#16 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:45 AM

Well, he would still have been a mutant. What you mean is that he was originally going to be a mutant wolverine, instead of a mutant Canadian.

Member Awards ()

#17 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

No, in Marvel parlance a mutant is someone whose powers are naturally occurring; in other words, no one did anything to them to give them their powers, it just happened. As originally conceived Wolverine would have been a mutate, specifically one of the High Evolutionary's Ani-Men.

Member Awards ()

#18 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

No, in Marvel parlance a mutant is someone whose powers are naturally occurring; in other words, no one did anything to them to give them their powers, it just happened. As originally conceived Wolverine would have been a mutate, specifically one of the High Evolutionary's Ani-Men.

Which is why Deadpool is not accepted as a mutant as his only naturally occuring power is his motormouth.  That is a cool fact about Wolvy. SO as far as comic book movies go whats something that either hasnt been made that youd like to see made(including stuff in the works) or something youd like to see remade/rebooted. Personally id LOVE to see a new Spawn film. we have the technology to make all the visual and special affects dope, other than Todd Macfarlane being a stuckup d-bag i dont see why this isnt a thing yet.

#19 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

But Wolverine had his hand implant thingy so that makes him not a mutant by that definition, doesn't it?

Member Awards ()

#20 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

But Wolverine had his hand implant thingy so that makes him not a mutant by that definition, doesn't it?

Wolverine still has his healing factor and claws and animal characteristics that occured "naturally". when they experimented on him and grafted him with adamantium they made a mutant/mutate hybrid. A Mutantate if you will....or a Mutatent ....whichever you prefer. Liger/Tion same difference right? Anyways. Who would i like to direct Wolverine 3......hmmmmm.....Clint Eastwood......yep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users