lissa
  • Invicta: Knight
  • 175 posts
  • Ruler Name:Fantasia
  • Nation Name:Fantasia
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

So...I have not read the books YET - but I really like the show.  I can't help if it I wish I lived in a world like that.  It is neat that it is not set in the past- but in the future .. loved the buildings with their grass and moss.

And I am sure someone is going to be like- its just like the LOTF, but it is different. 

930246_ori.jpg

shannara-chronicles-villain.jpg

Member Awards ()

#2 BlackOut227

BlackOut227

Someone save me

• Minister of War
  • 323 posts
  • Ruler Name:BlackOut227
  • Nation Name:Bloodlust
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

I've read a few of the books over the past few years and didn't know they had a show until a few days ago. I'm about to put it on now! I enjoyed the books and I've yet to see if I'll enjoy the show.

Member Awards ()

#3 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

The show's gotten a lot of good press. I haven't read the books either but it's definitely on my "to check out" radar.

Member Awards ()

#4 lissa

lissa
  • Invicta: Knight
  • 175 posts
  • Ruler Name:Fantasia
  • Nation Name:Fantasia
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

I've read a few of the books over the past few years and didn't know they had a show until a few days ago. I'm about to put it on now! I enjoyed the books and I've yet to see if I'll enjoy the show.

Awesome- - fill me on the differences.  I have to DL them still.

Member Awards ()

#5 BlackOut227

BlackOut227

Someone save me

• Minister of War
  • 323 posts
  • Ruler Name:BlackOut227
  • Nation Name:Bloodlust
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:22 PM

So I've watched all 4 episodes, which are really good. They're based off of The Elfstones of Shannara in the year 2050 after The Swords of Shannara and before The Heritage of Shannara. I'll have to reread it though because the show seems fairly accurate and I read the book years ago.

Member Awards ()

#6 Allant

Allant
  • Former Member
  • 207 posts
  • Ruler Name:Allant I
  • Nation Name:Paxico
  • Alliance Name:The Legion
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:02 PM

Can someone give a quick summary? What is this? Are those vampires? I dont like vampires. 

#7 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

I watched the pilot.

I dunno... I mean, it has John Rhys-Davies. This is always good. He gets to stand up straight, which is probably welcome for the guy who had to play Gimli on his knees. And as a show, it is much, much better than Once Upon a Time. (Don't get me started.)

But Poppy Drayton's performance is flat like pancake. I keep on getting the feeling that what was running through her head was "Oh wow, this is great, I'm playing a strong female role model character!" Which is fine and all, but one of the things about being an actor is getting people to believe you're actually in character. She's not so good at that.

Austin Butler turned in a noticeably better performance. If they had hired a woman as talented as him instead of Poppy Drayton, it'd be a good show, even with no other changes, maybe a very good show. I just can't believe his character. I mean, he's supposed to be this descendant of legendary heroes right? I kept on getting the feeling that this was the kind of idiot who would bring a bank statement instead of a receipt when trying to get a refund.* But Butler was so good that when he was actually talking, I could almost believe in his character, even with the terrible lines the screenplay gave him.

The world is kinda interesting. Also ridiculously Welsh. I mean, I like that part lol.

* Mass Effect reference. You should play the games if you don't get it.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users