• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

In another thread I made mention of a 1995 book by Jeremy Rifkin called The End of Work, which posits that technological advances will render labor obsolete. The following article is a good summary of the thesis.

I think this is a fascinating topic. Without paid labor there can be no capitalism, so what do we do when paid labor is a thing of the past? How will people live? What will they do all day? What will a moneyless society look like? These questions and others like them are not merely intellectual exercises, they are they very real challenges that we as a society face moving forward.

The Beginning of the End of Work

by Brian Dean (originally printed in In Business magazine)

The workerless society may be much closer than we think. 75% of the work force, in most developed countries, engage in work that is little more than simple repetitive tasks. Most of these jobs are vulnerable to replacement by automation. But that’s not all – technology is increasingly taking over tasks previously thought to require human intelligence. Office workers and managers are now under threat as corporations restructure to take advantage of the huge productivity gains made possible by the new technologies.

Economists have traditionally argued against the likelihood of the decline of work, believing that productivity gains produce wealth, which is used to expand markets, thereby creating new jobs. Admittedly, this has been the case in the past. For example, when technology began to displace agricultural workers, a new growing sector – manufacturing – was able to absorb those displaced. Then, between the mid fifties and the early eighties, as manufacturing became increasingly automated, displaced factory workers were absorbed into the growing service sector (banking, insurance, accounting, law, airlines, retail, etc). In most modern cities today, nine out of ten jobs are in the service sector.

As we approach the millennium, however, service sector jobs are increasingly falling to advanced technology – without the emergence of any new growth areas of the scale required to absorb the redundant office workers. It has been estimated, for example, that human secretaries currently spend more than 45% of their time filing papers, photocopying, delivering messages, posting letters and waiting for assignments. Electronic office systems make all of this redundant.

Sophisticated labour-saving technology is being developed at an accelerating rate. Hundreds of companies now use computer systems to screen job applications. One such system, called Resumix, optically scans incoming CVs, reads and evaluates the applicants’ details, and makes decisions concerning applicant suitability (field tests have shown the Resumix to be as skilled as human personnel managers in evaluating job applicants).

Speech recognition software is already being used to replace human customer service telephonists in many companies. These companies face a simple choice: use the new technology or lose competitive advantage and go out of business. In either case job losses will occur.

In 1993 the US retail giant, Sears, cut 50,000 jobs from its merchandising division. That same year, its sales revenues rose by 10%. General Electric, a world leader in electronic manufacturing, reduced its global workforce from 400,000 in 1981 to 230,000 in 1993, whilst tripling its sales. The tyre company, Goodyear, cut 24,000 jobs between 1988 and 1992, and increased productivity by 30% in the same period. During the writing of this article, Electrolux announced they would be eliminating 12,000 jobs over the next two years. Large layoffs such as these are becoming increasingly common as the electronic revolution forces corporations to ruthlessly restructure in order to stay competitive.

According to renowned management expert, Professor Charles Handy, we are losing more jobs than we can replace. This is inevitable, he says, because developed countries can’t sustain the level of growth needed to create sufficient jobs to replace those lost through technologically enhanced productivity. Automation is shedding jobs faster than markets can expand to create new jobs. Handy remarks that we all need the equivalent of an earthquake to remind us to take nothing for granted in the world of work and economics.

Another economic commentator who believes we need a shock to awaken us, is Jeremy Rifkin, president of the Foundation on Economic Trends, in Washington, DC. According to Rifkin, “not a single world leader seems willing to entertain the possibility that the global economy is moving inexorably toward a shrinking labour market with potentially profound consequences for civilisation”. He criticises the logic behind ‘trickle-down technology’ – the theory, held by most conventional economists, which says that advances in technology and productivity create falling prices, generating greater demand, and thus leading to the creation of more jobs than are lost.

In his book, The End of Work, Rifkin presents evidence showing the steady rise of unemployment in most developed nations: “With demand seriously weakened by rising unemployment and underemployment in most of the industrial world, the business community has turned to extending easy consumer credit in an effort to stimulate purchasing power.” (See also Rifkin’s article, ‘Vanishing Jobs’).

Consumer debt has rocketed to alarmingly high levels in both the US and the UK, coinciding with increasing losses of full-time jobs. Unemployment has doubled in Britain since 1979, and the vast majority of new jobs created have been temporary or part-time (since 1992, 90% of jobs created have been temporary or part-time). One of the most notable growth areas during this period has been the credit card companies, which have experienced phenomenal success.

Technological advances continue to have the effect of reducing the commodity value of human labour. Economic rewards have traditionally been distributed on the basis of contributions to production (at least in theory). As human contributions to production reduce in significance and quantity, relative to automated contributions, employment wages will become inadequate to live on. This is already occurring – most reports of the last few years indicate that the low-paid are becoming financially worse off.

Every technological advance implemented in industry effectively increases wealth - otherwise it wouldn’t be utilised. Wealth is piling up all around us. The technological revolution which brought this wealth should be seen as a social phenomenon – it was not created by any one individual or group; neither is it a creature solely of the marketplace – it rightly ‘belongs’ to everyone.

In a world of decreasing demand for human labour, the economic rewards derived from technology will need to be distributed to people in ways that have nothing to do with the amount of work, if any, they perform.

Member Awards ()

#2 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I really hope something like this comes to pass.

Because then computer scientists like me will be gods among men :P

Or in my case a goddess. Cause that's more awesome. Not only all powerful, but mysterious and somewhat sexy at the same time. At least, to the people I don't know. People I know find me sexy and not mysterious at all. Or psychotic. Cause yeah :P

Anyway, should be cool. Watch out, your computers could be watching you so I can watch you :D

#3 Princess xR1

Princess xR1

Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Ruler Name:xR1 Fatal Instinct
  • Nation Name:Brotherhood of Steel
  • IRC Nick:xR1_Fatal_Instinct
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Just something I've been pondering: If we were to replace most of the jobs by machine/robot we could technically eliminate poverty. The thing is, millions and millions are given out via lottery to individuals. So much over time we could give every family in the United States an unlimited amount of currency. That being said, in today's affairs this wouldn't work due to the fact that everyone would up and leave their jobs and there would be no manufacturing of goods.

I haven't fully developed this idea, but its something that would be interesting.

Member Awards ()

#4 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

If you're going to start giving away money you might as well just do away with money altogether. Just off the top of my head, maybe we go to a system where everyone is allocated a specific amount of resources. So maybe you'd go to the grocery store, select your items, go to the check out, enter some sort of identification info, and the "value" of those groceries is deducted from your allotment of "food resource credits" for the week.

But it gets even more interesting, because many thinkers, not least of which Ray Kurzweil, believe that nanotechnology will soon allow goods to be manufactured so cheaply as to make them effectively free. So those resource allotments I mentioned, however they are determined, could easily allow for a level of comfort, even luxury, out of reach for most people today.

Member Awards ()

#5 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I can see robotic devices replacing most jobs but never make labour obsolete. I don't like the idea of not working and getting hand outs from the government so I can live. For some that is the dream but I do not share that dream. If given the opportunity to work I will work I will even if it is absolutely unneccesary.

Member Awards ()

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

You're still stuck in capitalist thinking. It wouldn't be "handouts from the government," it would simply be the way society functioned. And just because you're not working for a paycheck doesn't mean you wouldn't be productive, just that money would not be the motivating factor.

Member Awards ()

#7 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

You're still stuck in capitalist thinking. It wouldn't be "handouts from the government," it would simply be the way society functioned. And just because you're not working for a paycheck doesn't mean you wouldn't be productive, just that money would not be the motivating factor.

I am stuck in the capitalist way of thinking but I'm happy.

Member Awards ()

#8 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

But that's kind of the point -- the world is changing around us. That kind of thinking is going the way of the dinosaurs. We are moving into a new world where work as we know it will cease to exist, and we will have to figure out a way to organize ourselves without it.

And let's face it: work sucks. That's why they call it work. If you love what you do, if you wake up every day eager to get to it, then that's not work. But most people are not in that boat. Most people spend forty years slaving away at something they hate, trying to squeeze in a life in between working hours, and waiting for the day they can retire and finally live. Assuming they have enough money, of course. That's a shitty way to set up a society.

Member Awards ()

#9 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

But that's kind of the point -- the world is changing around us. That kind of thinking is going the way of the dinosaurs. We are moving into a new world where work as we know it will cease to exist, and we will have to figure out a way to organize ourselves without it.

And let's face it: work sucks. That's why they call it work. If you love what you do, if you wake up every day eager to get to it, then that's not work. But most people are not in that boat. Most people spend forty years slaving away at something they hate, trying to squeeze in a life in between working hours, and waiting for the day they can retire and finally live. Assuming they have enough money, of course. That's a shitty way to set up a society.

Thats a really pessimistic view on life and I'm sorry you feel that way. Don't forget though I'm a freak.

Member Awards ()

#10 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thats a really pessimistic view on life and I'm sorry you feel that way. Don't forget though I'm a freak.

...I see nothing pessimistic about that. lol

That's saying we won't have to work anymore! I'm pretty sure that'd fall into the optimistic category. Trust me, I know pessimism. Not only am I the Prince of all Saiyans, but I am also the Prime Minister of Pessimistia. :awesome:

Member Awards ()

#11 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I think Jorost just became a communist in my book.

Posted Image

We started on this evolution 5000 years ago when we invented the wheel. Sure now more things get done with less effort, but in the end of the day you'll still need someone to make the calls of what to produce, where to sell, come up with an idea, fix the machinery, dance on a pole, sing an opera, cook a good dinner or make a complex surgery. So instead of simple man-hours you're selling an idea or a skill on the market. Life's just more competitive.

Edited by alyster, 03 January 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

But that's the thing: you won't. Yes, there will still need to be a few high-level decision makers, but that's about it. And realistically, how many of those do we need?

And it's not communism. Communism is by its very nature obsessed with money. What I'm talking about is the elimination of that mindset altogether.

But you do bring up an interesting point. Even in a world without work, people will still enjoy food, music, art, literature, performance, etc. The people who produce those things would likely still continue to do so. In fact many more people could become such "cultural producers," to coin a term, because they would be freed from the tyranny of time clock.

Which brings up another point: We are by nature a hierarchical species. Without wealth, what would become our measure of success? Education? Artistic achievement? Number of friends on Facebook? Who would be the alphas in a moneyless society?

Member Awards ()

#13 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's still communism that you describe. Currently however we produce something we need tools and raw material. These are owned by someone. The owners collect the profits. Just like Marx described it. If you want to abolish the ownership, abolish the money, distribute things to everyone according to their need you've got a pretty good case of marxism right there :thumbsup:

Edited by alyster, 03 January 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#14 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Who would be the alphas in a moneyless society?

The Immortal God-Emperor!

Member Awards ()

#15 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I mean besides me.

Member Awards ()

#16 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

But that's the thing: you won't. Yes, there will still need to be a few high-level decision makers, but that's about it. And realistically, how many of those do we need?

Then I shall strive to take my place among those chosen few. I refuse to let myself succumb to a world where my skills are no longer needed in society and I have been replaced by a machine. It goes against the very fundamentals of my personality. I need to work to feel good about myself. When I have nothing to do I feel like I am being wasteful so I create something to do. That's why I have a 7-6 school day plus hours of homework after that. It's sad but it's what I need to do to stay optimistic and strong.

Member Awards ()

#17 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Again, I think you're misunderstanding me. No one said your skills would no longer be useful, nor that you would be unable to make a positive contribution. Merely that those things would be decoupled from the need to make a living. Working to better yourself and your community would still be a motivating factor for many people.

When I have nothing to do I feel like I am being wasteful so I create something to do.

Kind of like that. :)

Member Awards ()

#18 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Again, I think you're misunderstanding me. No one said your skills would no longer be useful, nor that you would be unable to make a positive contribution. Merely that those things would be decoupled from the need to make a living. Working to better yourself and your community would still be a motivating factor for many people.

When I have nothing to do I feel like I am being wasteful so I create something to do.

Kind of like that. :)

Ok...so what would be our measure of progress besides education. Will every one be the same kind of like the society in the Giver.

Member Awards ()

#19 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Eh, progress is techmological :3

#20 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Ok...so what would be our measure of progress besides education. Will every one be the same kind of like the society in the Giver.

That's the question. I doubt everyone would be the same, that's just not in our nature. So what would become the measure of success?

A tabletop RPG called FreeMarket attempts to answer that question. Here's a description of it from RPGnet:

FreeMarket is transhumanist science fiction roleplaying game set on the FreeMarket space settlement in the Saturian system. Originally built for 10,000, the station hosts a population of 80,000. Residents include the children of the Originals, immigrants from elsewhere in the solar system, and humans fabricated using 3D printers. There is no death, sickness, or laws. Resources are competed for with a reputation-based economy: look for all the Attaboys! you can, while avoiding Frownies. Don't worry, though: as long as your Flow is positive, your basic needs are accounted for.

The basic premise of the game is: With phenomenal resources and all the time in the world, what are you going to do?

The game posits a society in which social clout, called "Flow," has taken the place of currency. Maybe that's where we're headed. Maybe someday the richest person in the world will be the one with the most Facebook friends.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users