• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I need some psychiatric work too, but that's another thread.

Anyway, I bought some vector images (.eps) from Shutterstock to use as the basis for a Lord Protector's crest and Office of the Lord Protector banner.  The problem is that I don't have a program to edit a vector image, and while I could download one I'm terrible at that stuff.  Here's what I'm looking for...

On the crest:

Bq7NJaF.png

The Invicta horse head logo on the shield.  Ideally JUST the horse head, without the wreath, since there's already a wreath on the image.  Two wreaths would look weird.  And if there's a way to better integrate the horse head logo with the image, i.e. make it look like silver, that would be epic.  The banner should read INVICTUS REX.

On the banner:

wkJF9v0.png

Instead of LOREM IPSUM it should be INVICTUS REX.  Instead of DOLOR SIT A MET it should be OFFICE OF THE LORD PROTECTOR.  The red tone to the shield should be purple (if that's even doable; is that doable?) and instead of that Zapf Dingbats thing in the middle of the shield some iteration of the horse head logo & wreath, in whatever manner looks best with the image.

If anyone's interested, I can give you the original .eps files.

I can't make any promises, but I've been awfully loose with the Amazon gift cards lately...

:grin:

Member Awards ()

#2 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Unfortunately I have no method with which to edit EPS files, so I can't help you out. I take it you didn't like any of the proposals I sent you (twice!) before, since you never got back to me (and have since deleted the conversation), but those were vectors made in SVG, an open-source format. This means they can be edited with open-source programs that aren't at the mercy of Adobe's licensing restrictions.

Member Awards ()

#3 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

I did?  I have no memory of that.  I probably lost track of it and bulk deleted it.  I am very sorry about that!  Can I see them again?

Member Awards ()

#4 GeniusInc

GeniusInc

Resident Genius

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 757 posts
  • Ruler Name:GeniusInc
  • Nation Name:Aurecaelo
  • IRC Nick:GeniusInc
  • Alliance Name:NPO
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

I might be able to do it. At least the top one. Assuming of course that MVP did not already make acceptable ones.

Member Awards ()

#5 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Sure. The context you'd given me for inspiration was, firstly, the coats of arms of Kent as well as your own family's. This was augmented by the following, which you later made a topic out of, but I can't find it, so here I go copying and pasting from your PM:

As for symbolism, the white horse is a big one, for sure. But not the only one. We could use a rising sun to represent dawn, i.e. Dawny, our founder. She was also (and remains) a policewoman, a fact which was generally well known. So perhaps there is some symbolism there. The other founder was DoubleU, about whom I know very little. His was not a huge presence as I recall. Maybe a letter W subtly worked in somewhere? I dunno. Don't feel bound to any of these things, I'm just spitballing.

My conception of Invicta is as a modern nation-state based on the boundaries of the old Kingdom of Kent. Somehow it managed to exist side-by-side with England while retaining its independence. I don't know how; you can't overthink it. Anyway, the idea is that I am "Lord Protector" because the royal line has long since died out, sort of like the Steward of Gondor. When we had them, our kings were called "Rex Cantiae," King of the Kents.

Again, I don't know if any of this helps you, but I'm on a roll now.

We see Dawny as our liberator, our modern-day founder. So perhaps we won our independence after a long struggle. Given the real-world geo-context, the logical course of events would be for Kent to have been like Scotland or Ireland, i.e. a "conquered" region that long struggled for independence from England. That being the case, Dawny would be the one who led us to freedom, and founded the modern nation of Invicta. At first we were a republic with an active and vibrant democracy. But then I became president and set about recreating the country in my image. The office of Lord Protector was born as part of an overall push to return to our more "traditional" culture and values. This led, as you know, to that famous picture of me addressing the crowd, fist in the air, declaring "We are not English! We are INVICTAN!" Ah, those were heady days.

This was also the period of the official name change to "Regnum Invictorum," but that event has now been expunged in all Invictan history books. In the current edition of the CIA World Factbook our official country name is listed as "Realm of Invicta."

Of course you know the rest. Eventually I grew tired of being absolute dictator, and handed off the reins of government to the, well, Government. But I retain a healthy cult of personality, which is what's really important.

And that's the history of Invicta if it were a country, courtesy of Jorost's imagination.

We would be similar in many ways to the Duchy of Grand Fenwick from The Mouse That Roared.

Ooh, and the color purple in our flag (instead of the traditional red) is because Dawny's independence movement used purple as its color. Maybe it was even known as the Purple Revolution. Thus leading to potential Prince tie-ins...

:)

Can you tell I'm wired?

Yes, yes I could. There were numerous back-and-forth replies which led development, which I can paste here if you'd like, but it got a bit long-winded, so to save anyone else who cares to read through this, suffice it to say that the important parts were incorporating British tradition for a crown or coronet, the sun rays from the Lord Protector's Standard, the horse from the Flag of Kent, "Invicta" as a motto, and some sort of representation, symbolic or otherwise, of Dawny, as our founder. From this, I designed three possibilities:

Horo-sama_1362083382.png

Horo-sama_1362143996.png

Horo-sama_1362075185.png

Member Awards ()

#6 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

I might be able to do it. At least the top one. Assuming of course that MVP did not already make acceptable ones.

Inkscape claims to be able to save SVG files as EPS. I'm not sure how good it is at it, but if you need EPS versions of the horse logo or whatever, I can send you whatever it generates.

Member Awards ()

#7 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

Those are... large... I like them.

Member Awards ()

#8 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Ruler Name:Learz
  • Nation Name:Eridani Empire
  • IRC Nick:Learz
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

You can't hear it, but there's a choir of angels singing right now.

The lead angel is playing a bitchin' guitar solo, too.

Member Awards ()

#9 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

I like #2.

Member Awards ()

#10 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

If we pick that one we will have to have an Dawny University class discussing all the symbolism, hidden meanings, and of course the hidden supposed hidden cock

Member Awards ()

#11 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

I think the sword is supposed to symbolize Dawny's legendary strap on that she destroyed enemies with. Confirm / deny?

Member Awards ()

#12 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

I feel this is definitely an appropriate question to ask her someday.

Edit: You know, for you to ask her. I'm just here for the popcorn and inevitable murder.

Member Awards ()

#13 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

Can Jorost post for us the next time we put *anything* on the OWF?

Member Awards ()

#14 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

I think the sword is supposed to symbolize Dawny's legendary strap on that she destroyed enemies with. Confirm / deny?

Confirmed.

Woman was a destroyer of anuses she was.

Member Awards ()

#15 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Jorost you should Link Dawny to this thread :P

You can see it without being logged in

Member Awards ()

#16 lennybronx

lennybronx
  • Advisor
  • 260 posts
  • Ruler Name:lennybronx
  • Nation Name:Dominica Isle
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Either the first or the third one would be nice.

Member Awards ()

#17 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I believe Inkscape can convert both ways actually.

Member Awards ()

#18 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

I believe Inkscape can convert both ways actually.

If it can, I've not worked out how. My attempts to open EPS with Inkscape have proven most futile. :P

Member Awards ()

#19 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

I've only ever used Inkscape on OS X, it might be different.

Member Awards ()

#20 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

Oh, I LIKE those!  Yes indeed.

#1.  This is now the official Coat of Arms of the Lord Protector of Invicta.  An announcement is forthcoming.

NOW what we need is stuff integrating it.  I'd love some sort of banner that could serve as a signature-image for use on official documents.  Something like, "By the Grace and Government of His Highness Jorost of the Invicta Crownlands, First of His Name, Lord of the Invictae, Protector of the Realm, and Defender of the Faith," with the appropriate ornate flourishes and hoo-ha.  And maybe another for use on official statements, with a "From the Office of the Lord Protector," or whatever wording seems appropriate.

This is the one, by the way:

J3OMCr6.png

One request:  Could the two outside horses be black, like the one on our flag? 

Member Awards ()

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users