not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Welp, they struck down traditional marriage here and the gov won't appeal it. Good thing I didn't go vote for this fuck in the primary yesterday.

Where do I go now?

Member Awards ()

#2 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

To find someplace that reflects your social views?  Iran.

Member Awards ()

#3 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

And gay marriage will soon be the law of the land all across this nation, so the haters better grow up and get used to it.

'Murrica.  If you don't like it, leave.  Sound familiar?  :)

Member Awards ()

#4 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

That's fine, I'm waiting for my chance to get married to a 14 yr old.. It's coming.

Appalled by that? Welcome to my world.

I'll accept it once all other crazy world shit (i.e. eliminating age of consent, allowing multiple wives, allowing relatives to get married, etc, etc, etc..) is accepted.

Member Awards ()

#5 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Lol, so afraid of change Thrash~?

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Lol.  I'm not sure what makes you think that is coming, but I'm really starting to think you play this part up for fun, Thrash.  Archie Bunker wasn't as misanthropic as you.  :P

Member Awards ()

#7 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Misanthropy is the general hatred, distrust or disdain of the human species or human nature.

How is that even me in the slightest bit??????? I don't hate/distrust/hold disdain for the entire human species. Only like 45%.

And also, I don't see how you don't think gay marriage will lead to those other things..   maybe not in our lifetime, but it will and they will use gay marriage as justification for it.

Member Awards ()

#8 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

(i.e. eliminating age of consent, allowing multiple wives, allowing relatives to get married, etc, etc, etc..) is accepted.

I don't get how any of these affect you. You're married if I remember correctly and it's not like you're forced to have more than one wife. And it's up to you whether you'd want to bang your sis/bro/cousin, etc.

I don't get the anger really. lol 

Member Awards ()

#9 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

It's not anger, per say, it's looking out for future generations.

Go back 30 years and see if anyone even thought or considered gay marriage being acceptable.

My Utopia is being destroyed. When I was young, I always imagined getting married, REPRODUCING to create 2 kids, wife being able to stay at home and me being able to provide for the entire family with just my job. Those days are long gone. It's either a time machine or suicide for me.

Yet, here I am 42 years old, married for 10, no kids, both of have to work to just be able to pay the bills.. no chance of a kid EVER in my lifetime. And even if I was able to afford a kid, I wouldn't have the time to give them the care they deserve.

Member Awards ()

#10 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Eh well, my condolences to your dreams man. However gay marriage and incest are not the things stopping you from having that. It's just the system isn't geared toward your happiness, but the happiness of a few. It's quite depressing, I will say that, but if there's one thing that has kept me going although most if not every single one of my dreams have been shot down is my curiosity. How's all this shit gonna play out? Is it gonna get better or worse? 

You actually start to smile when you think of all the possibilities. Even the bad ones. Then again, I could just be psychotic. 

Member Awards ()

#11 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

The problem, Thrash, is that your Utopia is unfair and even oppressive to others.  Once again, you refuse to see the world through anything but the prism of what is best for you and you alone.  It's selfish, petty, trivially moral, and small — things I never considered you to be.  Go back 30 years before interracial marriage was legal and see if anyone even considered it being acceptable.  Go back 30 years before women got the vote and see if anyone even considered it being acceptable.  It's called progress.

Member Awards ()

#12 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

I'm not sure how you equate Gay marriage to all that... but whatever. If you really want to look at traditional "marriage" you need to go somewhere ekse, or back hundreds, or thousands of years. America has very few "traditional marriages" if you are arguing on religion. A "traditional marriage" would be one that a virgin man and a virgin women dated and got married later on, then had sec for the first time for the both of them. No oral sex, no anal (some Christians pretend they are still virgins if they only have anal), no mutual masturbation, no seeing each other undressed, no fondling or touching each other, etc... actually about the only things you could do is hug, hold hands, and kiss. As long as the kissing didn't get too intimate. And divorce? Nope. That's not traditional. Also, while we're are religion and marriage. Everyone seems to forget marriage is a legal contract between two people. Legal. Meaning government. So all that nonsense about government interfering in religion is bull shit. In the past the marriage contract was between a man and a woman, but legal things change. Now women can sue people, not just white men. Matrimony is the religious "marriage" people are thinking of. Priest even say "in holy matrimony" when doing services. Government isn't forcing religions to have a religious "marriage" they are just making it where Gay couples can get the same rights as straight couples. That's what this is about Thrash. Not pedophilia, not beastality, none of that. Its letting people who love each other and just want it to be legal, protected, and official so they can get the same rights and benefits. They just want to live happily together for the rest of their lives and under the bill of rights they are allowed the pursuit of happiness and equal rights as and straight couple.

Member Awards ()

#13 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

Anyway, "traditional" marriage is not as traditional as people think.  Read Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe.

Member Awards ()

#14 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Again, as I've said in the past, no problems with civil unions.

You may argue that there is no difference between a civil union and marriage, so why do I care? Well, I throw the same thing back at you.

I'm sorry that I was brought up in a religious background, but that's the way it is. I'm entitled to my views.

Member Awards ()

#15 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

I have a question for you, Thrash. I ask that you not take this in the wrong way, as it's not my intention to be rude, and if you find it to be such, I do apologize in advance.

My question is, 'What is it about gay marriage being accepted that threatens you?'

I'm picking on you to ask simply because yours is the most prominent voice I know speaking out against it, but I ask because I really want to understand your position. To me, the debate on gay marriage has always seemed to me to be... somewhat silly, I guess. I think a lot of this stems from the religious roots of the debate, because people speaking out against it seem to go back to the 'marriage is between a man and a woman because the Bible says so' argument. The reason this seems silly to me is not because it's not the whole story, but because the Bible would also see gays executed for their actions. Yet, it seems as though very, very few people who actively oppose gay marriage would also advocate recriminalizing homosexuality. This speaks to some sort of cognitive dissonance, as somehow there's been an acceptance of the societal shift away from homosexuality being a deep cultural taboo, but some collective decision to hold onto the word 'marriage' as though it's some sort of floodgate, and without the sanctity thereof, all will be lost.

This also leads me to think that it might be less about marriage itself, and more about the so-called "gay culture", or, more broadly, "queer culture". An objection thereto certainly exists, regardless of the marriage debate, and I find it far more understandable. I can see that one's "utopia vision" is fundamentally different the image of "gay culture". Mine certainly is. My feeling is that, perhaps at the heart of the opposition is a fear which is less religious, and less even about marriage, but just that perhaps there's some image of the "white picket fence" neighborhood of yore, with one house on the block draped in rainbow flags with a twelve-foot inflatable penis anchored on the front lawn: that is, marriage is thought of as a bulwark around which the rest of Western society is built, and so by extending it to gays, all the most foreign parts of "gay culture" will be incorporated into what is seen as normal society.

Now, the following is my own opinion only; I'm not a sociologist, and I don't identify with "queer culture" despite my bisexuality, so take it with that disclaimer. It seems to me, though, that "queer culture" is artificial. What do I mean by that? I mean that it has none of the hallmarks of what are traditionally viewed as cultures, which grow out of shared circumstances such as language, geography, history, and the common experiences of the masses, into which religion generally plays a big role. "Queer culture", on the other hand, exists (by appearances, anyway) solely to differentiate itself from what is seen as the prevailing culture of the region in which those who identify with it live. This creates an interesting situation, as what is called "gay culture", or what is seen as its hallmarks, is different in every part of the world in which it can be seen. The "hijra culture" of South Asia, for example, is fundamentally different from what Americans or Europeans probably think of most when considering transgender people: flamboyant crossdressers such as Dame Edna or Conchita Wurst. Is there a "gay culture" in North Korea? I don't know, but if there is, I can guarantee it's not going to be the same as America's. You get my point, hopefully.

So, why do I bring all this up, or even think it's relevant to consider its similarities or differences? Because of how and why "gay culture" developed (and for simplicity, I'll focus on "gay culture" rather than "queer culture" in this paragraph). The reason we see gays identifying with a culture which distances themselves from the prevailing society isn't because it's inherent to their sexuality. These sorts of identity choices developed because of how homosexuality was marginalized and seen as taboo by society at large. "Gay culture" developed because gay people were seen and treated as freaks and perverts, because there were no protections for them against discrimination, and, yes, because they weren't afforded the ability to express their love and commitment to members of the same sex through what society itself saw as the center of family life, the marriage. Because gays were shunned by the prevailing culture of the societies in which they lived, they sought refuge with other gays, and formed communities which looked upon the culture from which they were exiled and, seeing that they were excluded from that culture, formed their own in response.

It is fully my belief that if queer individuals had always been afforded the same rights as everyone else, and treated as equals in society, what we see as "queer culture" and its various facets and hallmarks would never have developed. So while I understand the fear that whatever you view as traditional American culture, or whatever you see as your "utopia", may be threatened by "queer culture", and I posit that this might have a lot more to do with an opposition to gay marriage than religion itself does, I also feel that the best way to encourage the integration of queer individuals into the larger cultural of your "utopia" would be to treat them as equal members of society. This view is probably heavily-dependent on my view of "queer culture" as artificial, or being fundamentally different from other cultures, being correct, of course, but it seems to me that that's also a view a lot of people opposed to gay marriage tend to share, consciously or not.

Member Awards ()

#16 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

POPULAR

You may argue that there is no difference between a civil union and marriage, so why do I care? Well, I throw the same thing back at you.

I'm sorry that I was brought up in a religious background, but that's the way it is. I'm entitled to my views.

Well, here we actually agree.  In fact, I think all marriages should technically be civil unions in the eyes of the state.  "Marriage" should be left to churches and synagogues and whatever.  But that religious ceremony should have no bearing on legal status; that's a private matter between the married couple and the purveyors of their chosen mythology.

Member Awards ()

#17 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Well, here we actually agree.  In fact, I think all marriages should technically be civil unions in the eyes of the state.  "Marriage" should be left to churches and synagogues and whatever.  But that religious ceremony should have no bearing on legal status; that's a private matter between the married couple and the purveyors of their chosen mythology.

This. I'm a strong supporter of marriage privatization, and feel the only role of the state should be to enforce such terms as private marriage contracts specify, such as relate to inheritance, childcare, and so forth. And for what it's worth, I think restrictions on these civil unions should also be loosened far beyond just giving gays equal treatment. If someone wants to marry her dog or her sister or her dog and her sister, well, in the words of Pierre Elliott Trudeau, 'There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation.'

Member Awards ()

#18 Locke

Locke

True and Righteous Hero of CN!

• Former Member
  • 497 posts
  • Ruler Name:Locke
  • Nation Name:Alestor
  • IRC Nick:Locke
  • Alliance Name:Global Order of Darkness
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

in the words of Pierre Elliott Trudeau, 'There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation.'

On the contrary, I bet you'd very much enjoy a few members of the state in your bedroom.

Member Awards ()

#19 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

I guess I would disagree with the dog and sister examples.  Dogs are not sapient beings; they cannot give informed consent.  And there are solid genetic reasons why it's a bad idea for siblings to marry.  Just look at the Targaryens.   :)

Member Awards ()

#20 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

I guess I would disagree with the dog and sister examples.  Dogs are not sapient beings; they cannot give informed consent.  And there are solid genetic reasons why it's a bad idea for siblings to marry.  Just look at the Targaryens.   :)

I guess my example with the dog was probably more from a view that such a civil union wouldn't have to be seen as equivalent to marriage, or wouldn't have to encompass sex. Not that zooerastia is universally banned even in the United States, let alone the world at large. But that's an entirely different can of worms I'm not going to be the one to open.

Even if you do consider civil unions to only be able to be used as a substitute for marriage under the law, and even if you consider sex integral to marriage, it's not like we're in a world without access to effective birth control, and North America on the whole is seeing decreased birth rates as some married couples choose not to have children anyway. Of course, the religious argument here is that the purpose of marriage is to reproduce and raise a brand new generation of [insert religion here], but again, since we're not using the term 'marriage' to refer to these sorts of unions, I'm not sure how much that enters into it.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users