Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

Edited by HordeLorde, 19 October 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#3 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:45 PM

Wow this is incredibly old. What is this 2012? 

Member Awards ()

#4 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Ruler Name:wildbillhkhk
  • Nation Name:Bilee
  • IRC Nick:WB
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:16 AM

America is too the greatest nation ever.

#5 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:29 AM

Wow this is incredibly old. What is this 2012? 

No, the debate just happened earlier this month.  :awesome:

#6 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:09 AM

i think hes referring to the OP.....thats terribly old

#7 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:18 AM

I know, but he also posted it right after your post about the dem debate.

texplainthejoke.jpg

#8 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

Let's make America great again! Give everyone guns!

#9 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

That clip (the original OP) is great.

As for the "greatest country in the world" stuff, what does that even mean? It's just mindless patriotic chest-thumping. Everyone thinks their country is the best. 

Member Awards ()

#10 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ellis
  • Nation Name:Straccia
  • IRC Nick:Ellis
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

No, mine really is, though.

Member Awards ()

#11 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

No, mine really is, though.

Oh, you live in Norway? :P

Member Awards ()

#12 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

The entire series (Newsroom) is great. 

#13 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

"Watch this video on YouTube. Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner."

Member Awards ()

#14 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

I was a huge fan of the show and thought it's run was way too short. I don't know if it was Sorkin that pulled the plug after 3 years or he took the PR hit for HBO by not renewing. Either way, the show was great. I thought the whole Genoa storyline ran a little long but that was my biggest gripe about the series.

Member Awards ()

#15 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:10 PM

I was a huge fan of the show and thought it's run was way too short. I don't know if it was Sorkin that pulled the plug after 3 years or he took the PR hit for HBO by not renewing. Either way, the show was great. I thought the whole Genoa storyline ran a little long but that was my biggest gripe about the series.

The show was running out of fresh material as it started catching up to real time. 

#16 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• Invicta: Knight
  • 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

“And yeah, you... sorority girl. Just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know, and one of them is: There is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're seventh in literacy, twenty-seventh in math, twenty-second in science, forty-ninth in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies. None of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are without a doubt a member of the WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about! Yosemite?”

Starting strong with some sexism, gotta love that. Let’s just dismiss the girl asking the question because she’s not what you think an intelligent woman looks like. We don’t really rank literacy by that metric, it’s measured by the percentage of the population which is literate. In that regard, the United States comes in at a healthy 99%, and bear in mind North Korea is counted as 100% so the definition of “literacy” is debatable. I don’t know how you rank a country’s math and science, but I’d love to read those statistics. Life expectancy is measured by various different organizations, but most of them agree that the United States lies around 25-30th place. Not great, but not 49th.

178th place in the infant mortality column actually goes to Mali, but the United States is very close, coming in at spot number 34 in terms of lowest infant mortality being the lowest score possible. We do lead the nation in persons incarcerated, that much is true. The next line I imagine is a comment on organized religion, which is again false; only 60 percent of Americans believe that religion is an important part of their life, making us one of the least religious nations on the planet.
In terms of defense spending, yes, we do spend more than anybody else. However, in the next 26 countries you do not see 25 allies. You see Russia and China, direct adversaries of ours; you further see Saudi Arabia, Israel, Colombia and Afghanistan who, while friendly to the United States, do not share an official defense treaty with America (excepting the de facto defunct rio treaty with Colombia). Then we have India, Brazil, the UAE, Algeria, and Singapore, nations who, while still on good/friendly terms with the US, also do not have military ties. So the point about the rest of the nations being allies of ours falls flat on its stupid face.
He then goes on to say that none of this is the fault of the student, and then tells her that she is part of the worst generation ever. So if none of this is her fault, how is she the worst generation? Wouldn’t the generation responsible for said issues be the worst? Or is it a trait of a well-educated populace to blame all their problems on people who, by their own admission have only been able to vote for 2 years, at best?

“We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons, we passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and we cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men. We aspired to intelligence; we didn't belittle it; it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.”

We stood up for what was right and fought for moral reasons? Please, show me the war we entered for moral reasons. We didn’t enter WWII to stop the Holocaust, mind you. We only entered that war after we’d been attacked. Or is he referring to such glorious, righteous wars as the Spanish-American war? Or perhaps when we forcibly exterminated the majority of the native population of our country in an act of war, was that a moral war?

We continue to strike down immoral laws and pass moral ones at a more steadily-increasing pace than ever before, largely because of that generation the narrator seems to hate so much. We never beat our chests? I’m sorry, we’ve been beating our chests ever since this asshole’s generation was born after their parents fought World War II, it’s not a new phenomenon. We continue to build great things and make ungodly technological advances, in fact at a faster rate than ever before! What used to take us 10 years to develop and advance now takes us 5, and soon it will be reduced to 1, and then 6 months, etc.

We still explore the universe. We just created an Ebola vaccine, and we continue to lead the world in both economics and the arts (in many aspects). We “acted like men” is a stupid thing to say because it doesn’t really mean anything. A country cannot “act like men”, and insinuating as much is absolutely ridiculous. Intelligence today is more appreciated and cultivated than ever before, with “nerd culture” being a thing that is accepted by the mainstream. And the speech from there devolves into a series of buzzwords and attempted cynicism mixed with a nice dose of misogyny and revisionist history.

Edited by Cappin' Pissflapps, 21 October 2015 - 05:58 AM.

#17 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

“And yeah, you... sorority girl. Just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know, and one of them is: There is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're seventh in literacy, twenty-seventh in math, twenty-second in science, forty-ninth in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies. None of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are without a doubt a member of the WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about! Yosemite?”

Starting strong with some sexism, gotta love that. Let’s just dismiss the girl asking the question because she’s not what you think an intelligent woman looks like. We don’t really rank literacy by that metric, it’s measured by the percentage of the population which is literate. In that regard, the United States comes in at a healthy 99%, and bear in mind North Korea is counted as 100% so the definition of “literacy” is debatable. I don’t know how you rank a country’s math and science, but I’d love to read those statistics. Life expectancy is measured by various different organizations, but most of them agree that the United States lies around 25-30th place. Not great, but not 49th.

178th place in the infant mortality column actually goes to Mali, but the United States is very close, coming in at spot number 34 in terms of lowest infant mortality being the lowest score possible. We do lead the nation in persons incarcerated, that much is true. The next line I imagine is a comment on organized religion, which is again false; only 60 percent of Americans believe that religion is an important part of their life, making us one of the least religious nations on the planet.
In terms of defense spending, yes, we do spend more than anybody else. However, in the next 26 countries you do not see 25 allies. You see Russia and China, direct adversaries of ours; you further see Saudi Arabia, Israel, Colombia and Afghanistan who, while friendly to the United States, do not share an official defense treaty with America (excepting the de facto defunct rio treaty with Colombia). Then we have India, Brazil, the UAE, Algeria, and Singapore, nations who, while still on good/friendly terms with the US, also do not have military ties. So the point about the rest of the nations being allies of ours falls flat on its stupid face.
He then goes on to say that none of this is the fault of the student, and then tells her that she is part of the worst generation ever. So if none of this is her fault, how is she the worst generation? Wouldn’t the generation responsible for said issues be the worst? Or is it a trait of a well-educated populace to blame all their problems on people who, by their own admission have only been able to vote for 2 years, at best?

>>>“We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons, we passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and we cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men. We aspired to intelligence; we didn't belittle it; it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.”

We stood up for what was right and fought for moral reasons? Please, show me the war we entered for moral reasons. We didn’t enter WWII to stop the Holocaust, mind you. We only entered that war after we’d been attacked. Or is he referring to such glorious, righteous wars as the Spanish-American war? Or perhaps when we forcibly exterminated the majority of the native population of our country in an act of war, was that a moral war?

We continue to strike down immoral laws and pass moral ones at a more steadily-increasing pace than ever before, largely because of that generation the narrator seems to hate so much. We never beat our chests? I’m sorry, we’ve been beating our chests ever since this asshole’s generation was born after their parents fought World War II, it’s not a new phenomenon. We continue to build great things and make ungodly technological advances, in fact at a faster rate than ever before! What used to take us 10 years to develop and advance now takes us 5, and soon it will be reduced to 1, and then 6 months, etc.

We still explore the universe. We just created an Ebola vaccine, and we continue to lead the world in both economics and the arts (in many aspects). We “acted like men” is a stupid thing to say because it doesn’t really mean anything. A country cannot “act like men”, and insinuating as much is absolutely ridiculous. Intelligence today is more appreciated and cultivated than ever before, with “nerd culture” being a thing that is accepted by the mainstream. And the speech from there devolves into a series of buzzwords and attempted cynicism mixed with a nice dose of misogyny and revisionist history.

I would honestly argue that defending oneself is as moral reason, and the U.S. was already considering entering the war based on the massive civilian causality tole, even though they weren't aware of the death camps just yet. 60 million people died in that war, easy, about 2% of the earth's population at the time or more. Without the holocaust, it sitll would have been a good idea to stop Hitler's open massacres, even if we didn't know about the secret one's. 

I also support the Afghanistan and Iraq war, and even believe that Korea and Vietnam were morally justified, even if the execution war poor. Grenada, Panama etc. were also more or less justified.

Otherwise I agree with the rest. xP

Member Awards ()

#18 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

This discussion brings up an interesting question: When is military action justified?

I think most people would agree that nations have the right to defend themselves, and that military action is justified in the event of invasion or attack. But what if the threat is less direct? Take Iraq, for example. The American justification for invasion was that Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction, which it turned out he did not. But what if he had? Would that have been sufficient cause for military action? Don't lots of countries possess weapons of mass destruction? Why don't we invade all of them?

As the most powerful country in the world, does the United States have a responsibility to use that power for a greater good? (Think Spider-Man, "With great power comes great responsibility" and all that.) Or should we follow a more hands-off approach, like the Prime Directive in Star Trek? (See how I make it all about nerdy stuff?)

Member Awards ()

#19 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

This discussion brings up an interesting question: When is military action justified?

I think most people would agree that nations have the right to defend themselves, and that military action is justified in the event of invasion or attack. But what if the threat is less direct? Take Iraq, for example. The American justification for invasion was that Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction, which it turned out he did not. But what if he had? Would that have been sufficient cause for military action? Don't lots of countries possess weapons of mass destruction? Why don't we invade all of them?

As the most powerful country in the world, does the United States have a responsibility to use that power for a greater good? (Think Spider-Man, "With great power comes great responsibility" and all that.) Or should we follow a more hands-off approach, like the Prime Directive in Star Trek? (See how I make it all about nerdy stuff?)

Actually Iraq did have WMD's, but it was more about the fact that they killed at least 500,000 innocent people and began waging a war of genocide on the kurdish population. I believe we have a moral obligation to help when we can. Few countries can do it or are willing to so, that basically puts us at the front lines.

Like the whole, hurricane in Japan. We would have had a global nuclear catastrophe on our hands if it wasn't for the U.S. and specifically our military, no-one else could have done that. Or in Haiti, or in the Philippines. We're the world leader at this kind of stuff.

Member Awards ()

#20 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• Invicta: Knight
  • 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

Actually Iraq did have WMD's, but it was more about the fact that they killed at least 500,000 innocent people and began waging a war of genocide on the kurdish population. I believe we have a moral obligation to help when we can. Few countries can do it or are willing to so, that basically puts us at the front lines.

Like the whole, hurricane in Japan. We would have had a global nuclear catastrophe on our hands if it wasn't for the U.S. and specifically our military, no-one else could have done that. Or in Haiti, or in the Philippines. We're the world leader at this kind of stuff.

Iraq had chemical and biological weapons that the US gave them, yes. And they used them against the Kurds and the Iranians with tacit US approval. 

We do have a moral obligation to help, but what about when our attempts to help do more hurt than good? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users