Photo

What's Your D&D Alignment?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: What's Your D&D Alignment? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your D&D alignment, as described?

1. Lawful Good (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Neutral Good (1 votes [10.00%])

3. Chaotic Good (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. Lawful Neutral (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. Neutral (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Chaotic Neutral (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

7. Lawful Evil (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Neutral Evil (1 votes [10.00%])

9. Chaotic Evil (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

In Dungeons & Dragons, a character's alignment defines his or her moral outlook. The classic D&D alignments are:

Lawful Good

A Lawful Good character typically acts with compassion, and always with honor and a sense of duty. A Lawful Good nation would consist of a well-organized government that works for the benefit of its citizens. Lawful Good characters include righteous knights, paladins, and most dwarves. Lawful Good creatures include the noble golden dragons.

Lawful Good characters, especially paladins, may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or good when the two conflict: for example, in upholding a sworn oath when it would lead innocents to come to harm; or where legal injunctions conflict, such as between their religious law and the law of the local ruler.

In the Complete Scoundrel sourcebook for D&D 3.5, Batman, Dick Tracy and Indiana Jones are cited as examples of Lawful Good characters.

Neutral Good

A Neutral Good character typically acts altruistically, without regard for or against Lawful precepts such as rules or tradition. A Neutral Good character has no problems with co-operating with lawful officials, but does not feel beholden to them. In the event that doing the right thing requires the bending or breaking of rules, they do not suffer the same inner conflict that a Lawful Good character would.

Examples of Neutral Good characters include Zorro and Spider-Man.

Chaotic Good

A Chaotic Good character favors change for a greater good, disdains bureaucratic organizations that get in the way of social improvement, and places a high value on personal freedom, not only for oneself, but for others as well.

Chaotic Good characters always intend to do the right thing, but their methods are generally disorganized and often out of sync with the rest of society. They may create conflict in a team if they feel they are being pushed around, and often view extensive organization and planning as pointless, preferring to improvise.

Robin Hood, Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica, and Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly are examples of Chaotic Good individuals.

Lawful Neutral

A Lawful Neutral character typically believes strongly in Lawful concepts such as honor, order, rules, and tradition, and often follows a personal code. A Lawful Neutral society would typically enforce strict laws to maintain social order, and place a high value on traditions and historical precedent. Examples of Lawful Neutral characters might include a soldier who always follows orders, a judge or enforcer that adheres mercilessly to the word of the law, and a disciplined monk.

Characters of this alignment are neutral with regard to good and evil. This does not mean that Lawful Neutral characters are amoral or immoral, or do not have a moral compass, but simply that their moral considerations come a distant second to what their code, tradition, or law dictates. They typically have a strong ethical code, but it is primarily guided by their system of belief, not by a commitment to good or evil.

James Bond, Odysseus, and Sanjuro from Yojimbo are listed in Complete Scoundrel as examples of Lawful Neutral.

Neutral

A Neutral character (a.k.a. True Neutral or Neutral Neutral) is Neutral on both axes, and tends not to feel strongly towards any alignment. A farmer whose primary overriding concern is to feed his family is of this alignment. Most animals, lacking the capacity for moral judgment, are of this alignment, since they are guided by instinct rather than conscious decision. Many roguish characters who play all sides to suit themselves are also of this alignment (such as a weapons merchant with no qualms selling his wares for profit to both sides in a war).

Some Neutral characters, rather than feeling undecided, are committed to a balance between the alignments. They may see good, evil, law, and chaos as simply prejudices and dangerous extremes. Mordenkainen is one such character who takes this concept to the extreme, dedicating himself to a detached philosophy of neutrality to ensure that no one alignment or power takes control of the Flanaess.

Druids frequently follow this True Neutral dedication to balance, and under Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules, were required to be this alignment. In an example given in the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook, a typical druid might fight against a band of marauding gnolls, only to switch sides to save the gnolls' clan from being totally exterminated.

Lara Croft, Lucy Westenra from Dracula and Han Solo in his early Star Wars appearance are neutral.

Chaotic Neutral

A Chaotic Neutral character is an individualist who follows his or her own heart, and generally shirks rules and traditions. Although Chaotic Neutral characters promote the ideals of freedom, it is their own freedom that comes first; good and evil come second to their need to be free. Chaotic Neutrals are free-spirited and do not enjoy the unnecessary suffering of others. A Chaotic Neutral character does not have to be an aimless wanderer; it may have a specific goal in mind, but its methods of achieving that goal are often disorganized, unorthodox, or entirely unpredictable. If a Chaotic Neutral joins a team, it is because that team's goals happen to coincide with its own at the moment, but it invariably resents taking orders and can be very selfish in its pursuit of personal goals.

A subset of Chaotic Neutral is: "strongly Chaotic Neutral", describing a character who behaves chaotically to the point of appearing insane. Characters of this type may regularly change their appearance and attitudes for the sake of change, and intentionally disrupt organizations for the sole reason of disrupting a lawful institution. This includes the Xaositects from the Planescape setting, and Hennet from the third edition Player's Handbook. In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Chaotic Neutral was mistakenly assumed to refer to this subset.

Captain Jack Sparrow, Al Swearengen from the TV series Deadwood, and Snake Plissken from Escape from New York are Chaotic Neutral characters according to Complete Scoundrel (3.5e).

Lawful Evil

A Lawful Evil character sees a well-ordered system as being easier to exploit, and shows a combination of desirable and undesirable traits; while it usually obeys its superiors and keeps its word, it cares nothing for the rights and freedoms of other individuals and is not averse to twisting rules in its favor. Examples of this alignment include tyrants, devils, undiscriminating mercenary types who have a strict code of conduct, and loyal soldiers who enjoy the act of killing.

Like Lawful Good Paladins, Lawful Evil characters may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or evil when the two conflict. However, their issues with Law versus Evil are more concerned with "Will I get caught?" versus "How does this benefit me?".

Boba Fett of Star Wars, and X-Men's Magneto are cited examples of Lawful Evil characters in Complete Scoundrel (3.5e).

Neutral Evil

A Neutral Evil character is typically selfish and has no qualms about turning on its allies-of-the-moment, and usually makes allies primarily to further its own goals. A Neutral Evil has no compunctions about harming others to get what it wants, but neither will it go out of its way to cause carnage or mayhem when it sees no direct benefit for itself. Such a character abides by laws for only as long as it is convenient. A villain of this alignment can be more dangerous than either Lawful or Chaotic Evil characters, since he or she is neither bound by any sort of honor or tradition nor disorganized and pointlessly violent.

Another valid interpretation of Neutral Evil holds up evil as an ideal, doing evil for evil's sake and trying to spread its influence.

Examples are an assassin who has little regard for formal laws but does not needlessly kill, a henchman who plots behind his or her superior's back, or a mercenary who switches sides if made a better offer. An example of the second type of Neutral Evil would be a masked killer who strikes only for the sake of causing fear and distrust in the community.

Complete Scoundrel cites X-Men's Mystique, and Sawyer of the early seasons of Lost as Neutral Evil characters.

Chaotic Evil

A Chaotic Evil character tends to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but its own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. It sets a high value on personal freedom, but does not have any regard for the lives or freedom of other people. Chaotic Evil characters do not work well in groups, as they resent being given orders, and usually behave themselves only out of fear of punishment.

It is not compulsory for Chaotic Evil characters to be constantly performing sadistic acts just for the sake of being evil, or constantly disobeying orders just for the sake of causing chaos. They do, however, enjoy the suffering of others, and view honor and self-discipline as weaknesses. Serial killers and monsters of limited intelligence are typically Chaotic Evil.

According to the Complete Scoundrel sourcebook, Carl Denham from King Kong and Riddick from Pitch Black are Chaotic Evil.

Member Awards ()

#2 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

I've never played D&D, nor any tapletop RPG, but I feel I'd have trouble if I'm meant to be ascribing one of these alignments to myself, personally, based solely on self-analysis of the descriptions provided—different aspects of many of them influence different areas of my life and my persona. Politically, I'd say I'm Chaotic Neutral, with a tend towards Chaotic Good. In my personal relationships, however, I'd describe myself as Lawful Good.

Member Awards ()

#3 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

batman-alignment-chart.jpg

Option 10: Batman

Member Awards ()

#4 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

I live my life as lawful good, I play my games as chaotic evil

1328311067918_2850416.png

#5 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

I just choose chaotic. 

Because I'm pure crazy. xP

Nah, Chaotic good or so. 

Member Awards ()

#6 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:15 AM

I've never played D&D, nor any tapletop RPG, but I feel I'd have trouble if I'm meant to be ascribing one of these alignments to myself, personally, based solely on self-analysis of the descriptions provided—different aspects of many of them influence different areas of my life and my persona. Politically, I'd say I'm Chaotic Neutral, with a tend towards Chaotic Good. In my personal relationships, however, I'd describe myself as Lawful Good.

The law/chaos spectrum has more to do with how you are in general in relation to actual laws. For example, I have a strong personal idea of what is right and wrong but if it doesn't fit with what is expected of me I will tend to bend the rules and favor my own internal ethics and morality. I also favor greatly personal freedom over going with the flow to avoid rocking the boat. This makes me chaotic. My personal ethics and morality are generally altruistic, so that makes me good. Most likely you would also be chaotic good.

I could go off on a long tangent about how being lawful can mean something slightly different to a good, neutral, and evil person but suffice to say there can be a difference based on where one falls on the good/evil spectrum. :v

batman-alignment-chart.jpg

Option 10: Batman

Option 11: CIA

ND6JcH7.png

I live my life as lawful good, I play my games as chaotic evil

1328311067918_2850416.png

Switching around the law/chaos spectrum, this is pretty much how I am. I'm chaotic good in real life, lawful evil in games. Evil because I am absolutely the super-cutthroat type. Lawful because I want there to be some reliability to my methods in games so people know that no matter how bad things might be for them, I can (and will) make it so much worse if they cross me.

#7 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

I voted Batman. I never played D&D. I was to busy playing Asteroids and Galaga.

Member Awards ()

#8 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

There's a Galaga at a laundromat by me.

I wanna get a hold of a Dragon's Lair or Space Ace.

ya know, I friggin wonder how many awesome video games have just been destroyed.. makes me sad..   

I haven't seen an Arcade outside of being down the shore forever, and even the ones down the shore suck now, they have like 3 games and no old ones... and it costs like $5 to play a game that lasts 1 minute.

I'd like to open one up, but I think the liability would be too much. Perhaps if I could make it adults only.

Member Awards ()

#9 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

It doesn't matter if you've ever played D&D. I posted the descriptions of the alignments. The concepts are not specific to the game; they are completely generalized and applicable to real life.

I'm Chaotic Neutral. Sure, I try to do the right thing, but not if it means risking my own neck. Give me liberty or give me something else.

Member Awards ()

#10 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

ya know, I friggin wonder how many awesome video games have just been destroyed.. makes me sad..

I haven't seen an Arcade outside of being down the shore forever, and even the ones down the shore suck now, they have like 3 games and no old ones... and it costs like $5 to play a game that lasts 1 minute.

I'd like to open one up, but I think the liability would be too much. Perhaps if I could make it adults only.

There is no money in it anymore unfortunately. Games are pretty much no longer made in format and the ones that are either are niche or mass produced for other venues like bars or movie theaters. I have inquired myself into their nature because I thought there may be a market for it. They are a complete novelty in this day and age and would likely only survive in a major urban center.

Member Awards ()

#11 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:08 AM

It doesn't matter if you've ever played D&D. I posted the descriptions of the alignments. The concepts are not specific to the game; they are completely generalized and applicable to real life.

I'm Chaotic Neutral. Sure, I try to do the right thing, but not if it means risking my own neck. Give me liberty or give me something else.

As a Big Guy once said: "Give me Baneposting, or crash my plane with no survivors." For, as long as but a hundred of us are in the wreckage, never will we on any conditions be brought under hothead rule. It is in truth not for lulz, nor salt, nor 10bux that we are Baneposting, but for you – for you alone, which no big guy gives up but with life itself.

There is no money in it anymore unfortunately. Games are pretty much no longer made in format and the ones that are either are niche or mass produced for other venues like bars or movie theaters. I have inquired myself into their nature because I thought there may be a market for it. They are a complete novelty in this day and age and would likely only survive in a major urban center.

You pretty much have to have something else as your main revenue stream and the arcade just as a novelty. There's a retro game store by where I live that has an arcade set up in the back half of the store. They keep it off by default, but you can ask them to turn on the power to that part of the store and play around with the games they have back there.

#12 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

I'm a chaotic neutral person for sure. Cause you just don't know what I'm all about. Yeah I can be a real nice guy! But I can also be a real bastard. Depends on what I'm feeling at the time! I'll stand up for what's right, well what I think is right and important. Otherwise I'll just tell ya to fuck off. Whatever the situation calL's for. I'm mainly just about what I'm doing. I can really relate to Snake Plissken I wanna watch that movie now.

Member Awards ()

#13 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

In games I usually play as a hero, like a Paladin, who's more of a Chaotic Good kind of guy, crazy, but devout in his ways, or a tragic villain, similar to a paladin or a batman like character, perhaps most similarly to Bane or the Punisher, who thinks what he's doing is right, but is too extreme or Authoritarian to ultimately be the good guy.

He'd save a little kid's life right in front of him, but vies for world domination. Not for his own power or sense of megalomania of course, but to right the wrongs in the world by making it secure, and make the world understand the raw might and way of Cthulhu! Usually believes in security over freedom, that sometimes the only way to protect people is to remove their free will. 

A man who is enlightened can never be free, because he knows the truth set about before him, and therefore realizes there is only one true path, one can take. 

The Illusion of free will blinds humanity into making bad decisions; but the greatest joke of democracy is believing that just by voting one can choose their fate. One cannot move the mountains, start to fly, become invincible or live forever just because one decides it should be so, he is bound by the physical way of the world. There is only one path of right and wrong, one way to achieve our goals. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking we can actually choose what happens in the world, much of it already is set into stone, and predetermined before we've ever had a chance to change it; all we can do is adapt and go along with the world throws at us.

Why fight what you already know is done? Join us, the enlightened, the Bright, the Illuminated

"Blood and destruction shall be so in use, and dreadful objects so familiar that mothers shall but smile when they behold their infants, quartered by the hands of war! All pity choked from custom deeds. And the spirits, come hot from hell, shall in these confines cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs of war... shall these deeds smell above the earth, with carrion men, groaning for a burial."

Member Awards ()

#14 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

Except for Funspot, the biggest arcade in the world, located in the middle of god's country in New Hampshire. :P If you've seen the movie King of Kong, it took place mostly at Funspot. In complete fairness, though, that area is a big family vacation destination, so they have a built-in audience.

Member Awards ()

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users