the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

Nice article, though its not a myth I could go in some areas of Manchester in the UK and get dirty looks by the locals, I could go in those same areas at night and get attacked.

Member Awards ()

#82 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

Well, that actually depends on what you understand by "cultural". When groups of young Muslims start organizing themselves as patrols of the "Sharia police" and start terrorizing girls and women in their neighborhood that are not wearing the niqab, is that "cultural" enough for you?

I'm good with arresting people who do this, but I'm also not good with having groups of young white people organizing themselves into patrols terrorizing girls and women in their neighborhoods that are wearing the niqab. Which is exactly what's happening in France now.

I don't really care about whether people who immigrate here assimilate into my culture or not, whatever that might be. Honestly I don't really know what my culture is supposed to be. I mean, I'm a white Celtic male; most of the food I eat is Caribbean, Arabic or Far Eastern in origin; there's a big poster of Kurt Cobain on the main door to my flat; I play a lot of videogames, most of which are made by companies in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France or Japan. I love Chinatown, most of my fondest memories of Toronto are from Spadina, which is full of people originally from China who most definitely have not assimilated.

I don't happen to think requiring women to wear the niqab is a good idea. But I don't think requiring people to wear uniforms of any sort is a good idea, and yet I'm not going to go out there and burn down the Catholic schools we have here.

Member Awards ()

#83 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

Well, that actually depends on what you understand by "cultural". When groups of young Muslims start organizing themselves as patrols of the "Sharia police" and start terrorizing girls and women in their neighborhood that are not wearing the niqab, is that "cultural" enough for you?

I'm good with arresting people who do this, but I'm also not good with having groups of young white people organizing themselves into patrols terrorizing girls and women in their neighborhoods that are wearing the niqab. Which is exactly what's happening in France now.

Both this and the article brought by Jorost are good examples of PC deflecting when it comes about uncomfortable issues going on. But wishful thinking and hiding our heads in the sand, for the sake of PC or whatever else, won't make the problems go away.

As for the "groups of young white people", I'm not making a racial point here. They are just as disgusting as similar Muslim groups, but they emerged as a reaction. As I said in another post, whenever there's an action, you can expect a reaction. And before you know it, you're in the middle of a religious/racial/fundamentalist war. I think that's where we're heading anyway.

#84 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:12 AM

I don't really care about whether people who immigrate here assimilate into my culture or not, whatever that might be. Honestly I don't really know what my culture is supposed to be. I mean, I'm a white Celtic male; most of the food I eat is Caribbean, Arabic or Far Eastern in origin; there's a big poster of Kurt Cobain on the main door to my flat; I play a lot of videogames, most of which are made by companies in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France or Japan. I love Chinatown, most of my fondest memories of Toronto are from Spadina, which is full of people originally from China who most definitely have not assimilated.

How about abiding by the law for a start? I think that would make for a first & most important step for someone who's really wishing to integrate in our "culture".

As we all know, our kind of society has a high degree of acceptance for anyone who's willing to play by its rules. Nobody's going to question you or make an issue of what you eat (unless it's human brains with garlic), or how you dress (unless it's with your genitals exposed, and not even then in some places). Also, we can give anyone credit for something they may be doing wrong due to circumstancial factors, or based on the underlying motivation. However, that degree of sophistication and tolerance didn't come out of thin air, it's a cultural achievement of the greatest civilisation in history - the modern society. As politically incorrect as it may sound!

What puzzles me mostly is how many people don't seem to realize that all that marvellous construction isn't given for granted. Take away the mental conditions and the basic principles that make it possible, and everyhing will come tumbling down, back to the age of tribal segregation and mutual hunt down between the tribes.

#85 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:33 AM

Nice article, though its not a myth I could go in some areas of Manchester in the UK and get dirty looks by the locals, I could go in those same areas at night and get attacked.

So? There are neighborhoods like that everywhere. Some of them are even full of white people.

I could just as easily accuse Draculea of right-wing deflecting. But I still haven't seen any data to back up any of these claims.

I do agree that people should respect the law. I also believe that immigrants should learn the native language of the place to which they are immigrating.

Ultimately the problem is one of highly religious people living in a secular society. The good news is that secular society is winning. What we are experiencing, both in terms of Islam and, here in the US, far-right Christianity, are religion's death throws. But of course that's the long view. In the short term it's going to be messy.

Member Awards ()

#86 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

So? There are neighborhoods like that everywhere. Some of them are even full of white people.

Ding ding ding, due to lack of integration.

Member Awards ()

#87 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

Ding ding ding, due to lack of integration.

And economics, and a whole host of other things. The old Combat Zone in Boston is a good example. This was a neighborhood, now gone, with a well-earned reputation for crime and violence. The population was mixed, and changed over the years, but generally consisted of a lot of Boston Irish, Italian, black, and Hispanic people, among others. 

Just because groups choose to live in certain neighborhoods does not mean they aren't assimilated into the larger overall culture.

Member Awards ()

#88 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

Both this and the article brought by Jorost are good examples of PC deflecting when it comes about uncomfortable issues going on. But wishful thinking and hiding our heads in the sand, for the sake of PC or whatever else, won't make the problems go away.

This isn't political correctness. Political correctness is the crap you're spewing. "They're not like us, I want to arrest them!"

As for the "groups of young white people", I'm not making a racial point here. They are just as disgusting as similar Muslim groups, but they emerged as a reaction. As I said in another post, whenever there's an action, you can expect a reaction. And before you know it, you're in the middle of a religious/racial/fundamentalist war. I think that's where we're heading anyway.

It's not a reaction. There aren't any Sharia police in France. There haven't been. This is just good old-fashioned xenophobia.

How about abiding by the law for a start?

The only law I see frequently broken around here is the ban on marijuana possession, and I see that broken by people of all races. Curiously, I never see it broken around my local mosque. (Yeah. There's a small mosque about two blocks from where I live. There are also several Christian churches within walking distance, most either Anglican or Catholic but there's an African church not too far away as well.)

Of course if we were stupid enough to outlaw the niqab, there'd be a lot of people breaking the law. But the same would be true if we outlawed people wearing jeans.

Member Awards ()

#89 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

Justin Trudeau will take care of that pot problem for you soon enough...

Member Awards ()

#90 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

Just because groups choose to live in certain neighborhoods does not mean they aren't assimilated into the larger overall culture.

That's where we will have to respectfully disagree.

Member Awards ()

#91 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

You know, it would be good if he did, but I have a feeling he's going to set up a Royal Commission To Investigate What To Do About Pot Laws that will submit a report sometime around 2030 instead.

Member Awards ()

#92 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:27 AM

You know, it would be good if he did, but I have a feeling he's going to set up a Royal Commission To Investigate What To Do About Pot Laws that will submit a report sometime around 2030 instead.

Sometimes I love the government.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users