Photo

What time is it?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: What time is it? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you wear a watch, and if so where?

1. I wear a watch on my right wrist. (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. I wear a watch on my left wrist. (7 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

3. I wear a watch somewhere else. (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. I do not wear a watch. (12 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

I wear a smartwatch on my left wrist, palm side.

#22 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

Ewww you're one of those people.

#23 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

A smartwatch is one of those things that I might get if I had a lot of disposable income, but there are a lot of other things I would want first. I have a feeling I wouldn't use it any differently than I do a regular watch. How do you use it, Red?

Member Awards ()

#24 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

just made me think of this

Member Awards ()

#25 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

Used to in middle school. Grew out of that.

And/or just don't. I could wear one, but I don't. I'm bad at fashion. Then again I did recently start wearing a belt to be more adult....

Shokkou, thoughts?

You wear a belt to look more adult but not a watch? I bet you don't even own a briefcase.

Obviously joking. But I won't lie about having those thoughts at some point in my life.

A belt just makes my pants fit better. At least the jeans I regularly wear (and I own the same jeans, just 6 pairs of them).

Now for a watch, I don't remember why I started, but it might've been to be "older" when I entered middle school. I think I stopped (or lost my watch) by 8th grade, and never wore one once I entered high school.

Member Awards ()

#26 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, the palm side master race. Got a problem with that, peasant?

#27 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, the palm side master race. Got a problem with that, peasant?

I don't know who you're talking to here.

#28 Molagbal

Molagbal

AWESOME

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 217 posts
  • Ruler Name:XxHouseArrestXx
  • Nation Name:Poland
  • IRC Nick:Molagbal
  • Alliance Name:North Atlantic Defense Coalition
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

Smartwatches are pointless.  

#29 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

For you perhaps, I like discreet notifications. I like not being able to tell the difference between checking the time and checking that new message that came in. I like being able to change the music playing without having to pull my phone out of my pocket.

#30 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:22 PM

For you perhaps, I like discreet notifications. I like not being able to tell the difference between checking the time and checking that new message that came in. I like being able to change the music playing without having to pull my phone out of my pocket.

While for the most part I think a smartwatch would drive me nuts, the one thing I absolutely love about them is the wrist-tapping notifications and navigation. Having my wrist tapped when I need to turn left or right is just such an amazing application.

Member Awards ()

#31 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

How about not needing an electronic pacifier and being in constant contact? Try it some time. It makes life a lot more fulfilling. You also might begin to appreciate things around you and pay more attention to them, rather then being a zombie.

Member Awards ()

#32 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

While for the most part I think a smartwatch would drive me nuts, the one thing I absolutely love about them is the wrist-tapping notifications and navigation. Having my wrist tapped when I need to turn left or right is just such an amazing application.

God forbid you have to use your brain and think for yourself.

Member Awards ()

#33 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:59 AM

This thread right here is the future of our country folks.. people relying on electronics to survive. I fear getting old so bad because millenials will be running this country eventually. No wonder the suicide rate is so high. Had a kid today who was working in a department with me mocking me at work because I took short breaks.

It's like #1 - I had to take short breaks because you have no work ethic and #2 - I do what's needed to get the job done.

The saddest part- we both make the same amount of money.

Member Awards ()

#34 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

I mean, if I'm in a situation where I'd need help navigating, the alternative is to look at a map: either a physical map, or one on some other, clunkier smart device. I really don't get how that's any better, and especially if I'm walking with someone else, what's preferable: having to interrupt our conversation to look at a map, or having my wrist subtly tapped to indicate the direction I should be moving? I'm not convinced it's the former, I'm really not.

Member Awards ()

#35 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

I mean, if I'm in a situation where I'd need help navigating, the alternative is to look at a map: either a physical map, or one on some other, clunkier smart device. I really don't get how that's any better, and especially if I'm walking with someone else, what's preferable: having to interrupt our conversation to look at a map, or having my wrist subtly tapped to indicate the direction I should be moving? I'm not convinced it's the former, I'm really not.

By conversation, do you mean actually talking to someone while you're right next to them or texting them?

Member Awards ()

#36 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

By conversation, do you mean actually talking to someone while you're right next to them or texting them?

Actually talking to someone. If I was texting someone it wouldn't be much of an issue, would it?

I don't know why you're determined to be such a dick about this issue, but it's not really working. I'm not some techy fangirl who can't live without her phone; I don't even have a phone, nor do I have a smartwatch, and I've already expressed my opinion that by and large I feel they're useless. It just so happens that they do have one feature I could see being useful*, and I'm not going to be shamed for that.

*Smartwatches also have a lot of features I could see being useful for people with disabilities, but as those don't affect me directly, I'm not going to bother defending them for those.

Member Awards ()

#37 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

No need to name call, I don't really consider you one of "them." I've seen enough of your posts to know.

I do wonder though if you have any idea of what the fear of being lost is. It's not fun.

Member Awards ()

#38 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

Once upon a time people decried the "future of our country" because ball point pens made writing too easy. Some day today's teenagers will be old and crotchety and complaining about direct neural interfaces making it too easy. "In my day we had to take our smartphone out of our pocket! And sometimes there wasn't a signal!"

Member Awards ()

#39 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

How about not needing an electronic pacifier and being in constant contact? Try it some time. It makes life a lot more fulfilling. You also might begin to appreciate things around you and pay more attention to them, rather then being a zombie.

Okay you know what? Fuck off Thrash, you don't know shit.

Sure, there are people who love their tech to the point of not talking but texting, and that's fine, whatever. But how dare you suggest that Anna or I are that shallow just because we use technology that seems unusual or unhelpful to you.

I hate talking to people via text, but not as much as I hate talking to them over the phone. I actually actively go places (like bars, who would have thought) to talk to people in person, because otherwise it's horrible.

I actually love my smartwatch because it decreases the need to take my phone out of my pocket. If I get a phone call while in a conversation, instead of pulling my phone out and checking to see if it's important, I can check my watch, like I'm checking the time, and hang up from there! Nobody even knows that I'm managing calls or messages, I'm actively avoiding breaking the conversation. Compare this to someone who gets a call and pulls it out of their pocket, the entire conversation pauses for a good three seconds.

I can change my music, I can respond to texts, I can start phonecalls, with my headphones on (and by on I mean "usually around my neck") I basically never have to touch my phone, which is awesome, cause it means that I can spend more time interfacing with the real world. I try to spend all of my meatspace time appreciating the world around me, cause due to my line of work, I spend so much time in a concealed room on computers that I'd miss it.

So yeah, I dunno about Anna, but I think her interest in this kind of tech would be similar to mine. We want to be able to function in the future, without losing touch with the world around us. This stuff lets us do that.

Tl;dr: Fuck off, don't generalize Anna and I based on your own fears and prejudices, we want the same thing as you.

#40 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

Try it some time. It makes life a lot more fulfilling. You also might begin to appreciate things around you and pay more attention to them, rather then being a zombie.

Couldn't agree more.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users