• Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

No right is without it's regulations. 

Rights aren't designed so that anything even remotely interpreted to be said right can be done without consequences or restrictions, but so they can provide a general guideline for what people are allowed to do. 

The right to free speech is a general concept that today, applies to the internet. But, the founding fathers couldn't have known that the internet would have turned out like this, so, calling it a "right" based on the very vague notion of freedom of speech requires new interpretation. 

More so than anything the interpretation of these rights predicts what we will be doing with them rather than some exact article. The idea that we have an exact figure of how voting should exactly be because it's a "right" is just as silly as any of our other rights. Being a right doesn't mean there aren't some kind of associated change with it. 

Further, foreigners aren't exactly protected by American law, since, we don't govern say, Australia, the UK etc. so, the fact of the matter is voting is only an American right, or a domestic right. Having to at least prove that you are a local person doesn't really infringe on the rights for an American to vote, just potentially a foreigner. 

Member Awards ()

#42 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

I stipulate that voter fraud is a nonexistent problem. But that doesn't change the principle. If you are going to assert a legal right, I believe there should be a means of determining whether you are entitled to that right. This is why I am so conflicted about the issue. I'm too anal retentive for the honor system.

The problem with figures like this is that they use a very specific definition of voter fraud. There are a large amount of forms of voter fraud, including ballot tampering, electronic ballot tampering, voter intimidation, voters being misled, and deliberate "miscountings". Even fake persons voting or voting in multiple elections, such as illegal immigrants voting, who should not be allowed to vote at all yet do in the hundreds of thousands. It may not be fraud per say, that is stealing someone else's identity, but since in many cases identities aren't even checked, just anyone could walk in there and vote without being checked to see if it's the same person. Or even a registered voter at all. Or to see if they have already voted. 

How many double counts, triple counts and the like have occurred? There are places with over 3,000% votes in some areas. 110% and the like. They may not count as voter fraud in some people's mind, but nonetheless it's the same type of manipulation that leads to corrupt entities getting power. The single greatest threat to our democracy is someone manipulating the very foundation of the voting system. "The government by the people, for the people, and for the people" turns in to "And the government for the people who voted 16 times in the last election". When micky-mouse and spiderman are voting 10's of thousands of times in an election, you know something is off. 

They barely even check and compare the voters to see if they are real people. 

Now, the difference may only be 1-4%. But consider that virtually all major presidential elections have been won by that much, With Obama winning by 4%, and George Bush by less than 1%. Consider that the electoral college is far more easily manipulated, and if states like say, Texas, went a few percents the other way, that's 30 some odd votes for a candidate, or California 50 etc. Which means their ability to win dozens of members in the electoral college is predicated on just a few small percents. It's enough to throw an entire election. 

Now while I believe most presidents likely would have become president one way or another, even George Bush, some candidates such as JFK might have won the election with various methods of fraud. I like JFK, but the fact of the matter is if the people's voice is being robbed, it doesn't matter who you vote for, and that just makes it a dictatorship by the choice of a small oligarchy who knows how to throw off elections. Places like detroit who are billions of dollars in debt but are getting corrupt person after another easily could have their votes manipulated. In some cases more than 100% of people voted, and it's extremely unlikely that 100% of people would have voted at all. Even more than 70%. So, at local levels corruption is far more profound. The truth is the problem is far more nuanced than people like to admit. While many elections might not have been determined, many more in the future could be, even if it's just local cities or precincts. Minority votes are the most easily washed out, and they're the groups that need their voice heard the loudest. Thus voter fraud stands to hurt them the most. 

Edited by Manoka, 24 March 2016 - 01:33 PM.

Member Awards ()

#43 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

You could say the same thing about postal voting too which you can also do instead of walking into a polling station.

Postal voting brings up many of the same problems as voter ID laws. How do you know the ballot was filled out by the voter and not someone else?

Member Awards ()

#44 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:54 PM

This whole situation shows a misunderstanding of rights. Which is interesting since it's coming from a place that coined the phrase, often yelled "I KNOW MY RIGHTS". Clearly not.

This is a storm in a teacup. There is nothing wrong with the current voting system as implemented in the UK/Australia/New Zealand/Canada. The US has a problem cause computers.

#45 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

You could say the same thing about postal voting too which you can also do instead of walking into a polling station.

Postal voting brings up many of the same problems as voter ID laws. How do you know the ballot was filled out by the voter and not someone else?

Probably because you have to be registered with the council to vote and it would be a bit suspicious if there where more votes than registered constituents.

In theory the only way you could stop any potential fraud is if your vote was traceable to you and not anonymous.

Member Awards ()

#46 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:10 PM

Why wouldn't the numbers add up? (By the way, we don't have "councils" in the United States.) When you get your blank ballot in the mail, someone other than you fills it in and mails it back. Election officials literally have no way of knowing whether the person who fills out the ballot is the person who is entitled to do so.

Member Awards ()

#47 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:29 AM

Why wouldn't the numbers add up? (By the way, we don't have "councils" in the United States.) When you get your blank ballot in the mail, someone other than you fills it in and mails it back. Election officials literally have no way of knowing whether the person who fills out the ballot is the person who is entitled to do so.

Numbers wouldn't add up if ballot box stuffing or similar happened as you would end up getting higher than normal turnouts or even more votes than registered voters....

For postal voting, don't you have to sign your name? Be hard pressed for someone who is using your vote to know your signature.

Member Awards ()

#48 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

In the US you don't need a photo ID to get a driver's license, which for most people is their primary photo ID.

Are you sure that's true in every state? I mean, I'd guess it's true in Massachusetts, but there are all the others.

As for birth certificates, there are very few people born in the United States (and, I would imagine, Canada) who do not have a birth certificate on record somewhere. And those people are probably quite elderly. In the US, the municipality where you were born keeps a copy of your birth certificate forever. And in most places they are free for the asking.

They are not. There's a fee nearly everywhere for a replacement birth certificate.

Member Awards ()

#49 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:31 PM

There's no fee in Massachusetts, at least not the last time I got one (which admittedly was quite a few years ago). But maybe that's changed. In New York — likely one of the more expensive states — it's $30. Hardly an amount that's going to break the bank for most people.

If Mass. doesn't require a photo ID it's probably unlikely that any other state does. We're generally at the top of the bureaucracy pyramid! A quick look at some of the states that popped up on a Google search (New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, California) finds that they do not have any such requirement. Since a driver's license is the primary (and in many cases only) form of photo ID that most Americans possess, it would be kind of self-defeating to require a photo ID to get one.

Member Awards ()

#50 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

Numbers wouldn't add up if ballot box stuffing or similar happened as you would end up getting higher than normal turnouts or even more votes than registered voters....

For postal voting, don't you have to sign your name? Be hard pressed for someone who is using your vote to know your signature.

Again, why wouldn't the numbers add up? Elections never have anything approaching 100% turnout. Hell, in the US a 50% turnout would be overwhelmingly huge. No, all a ballot stuffer would have to do is make sure they don't overdo it. But it wouldn't be hard.

As for the signatures, who's going to check? They don't have poll workers looking at every absentee ballot and comparing it to a known signature sample. No one will ever know if the handwriting doesn't match.

The only 100% foolproof way to ensure that the people entitled to vote — and only the people entitled to vote — actually cast ballots is to require IDs.

This is why I'm so torn on this issue. My OCD simply will not accept that you need a photo ID to do virtually everything else in our society, but NOT to vote? It makes my head hurt. Heh.

Member Awards ()

#51 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

When I voted in the primary there was a voter there who had to tell the poll workers to take his mother off the rolls because she's been dead for years. You can see people who are listed around your last name because you have to sign a page in the book with your name. That's the only thing required. You could pick anyone's name off any of those pages, sign the name and be allowed to vote.

I proudly whip out my ID when I go to vote, #1 - it proves who I say I am and #2 - I don't have to spell out my last name for them, they can just read it off the ID.

Member Awards ()

#52 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

In Mass. you don't have to sign the list, but it's not hard to look at it while they're searching for your name. I tried to produce my ID the first time I voted (1992) on the assumption that it would be required, but they wouldn't even take it.

Member Awards ()

#53 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

Heh, wow, free birth certificates. Manitoba charged $60 last time I got one from them.

Member Awards ()

#54 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:48 AM

Heh, wow, free birth certificates. Manitoba charged $60 last time I got one from them.

How many times have you needed to get a birth certificate? Maybe you shouldn't throw it in the garbage and save yourself the $60 each time you need one.

Member Awards ()

#55 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

I lost my birth certificate at the Detroit airport, the worst-designed airport I have ever been to, possibly in the world. US Customs got it.

Member Awards ()

#56 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

The only 100% foolproof way to ensure that the people entitled to vote — and only the people entitled to vote — actually cast ballots is to require IDs.

I could use your pessimistic outlook with IDs as well because there is nothing stopping people using fake IDs or the poller even checking IDs..... I know the only fail proof way is mirco chipping!

Member Awards ()

#57 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:34 PM

Generating fake IDs for the purposes of voter fraud is probably too cumbersome to be realistic. It's not individual weirdos that are the problem, it's coordinated, large-scale voter fraud. Think Illinois 1960 (the Kennedy campaign almost certainly used voter fraud to steal that election).

Again, just to be clear: I do not support voter ID laws because they disenfranchise poor voters, and that's inherently unfair. But as an obsessive-compulsive freakshow of a human being, the idea that you don't need an ID to vote is jarring to me.  :jester:

Member Awards ()

#58 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

I lost my birth certificate at the Detroit airport, the worst-designed airport I have ever been to, possibly in the world. US Customs got it.

Why didn't you ask for it back if you know they had it? Did they hold it for a ransom higher then $60?

You complain about the $60. Why don't you ask where that $60 goes to? I'll tell you where it goes. The $1 goes for the ink and paper to print it. The $59 goes for the government beuracracy and social programs which you support wholeheartedly. So you should be happy about spending the $60. You're supporting your cause.

Member Awards ()

#59 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

They destroyed it, Thrash. You don't know much about how your customs department works.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users