• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

I've been binge watching the latest season of House of Cards, which has proven to be remarkably prescient about the tumultuous nature of the 2016 race, if not the actual details. It has gotten me thinking of some House of Cards-like scenarios based on current events.

Sanders/Clinton

Bernie Sanders' upset win last week in Michigan has set the political world on its head. It has been rightly described as one of the greatest political upsets in history. If the Bernie Sanders phenomenon has a second act, Hillary Clinton's inevitability evaporates (again). Let's say Bernie comes on with a vengeance over the next round of primaries, and they fight it out all the way to the convention. In the end, Bernie comes away with more won delegates, i.e. those awarded based on the results of primaries and caucuses. Hillary Clinton still has the nomination "locked up" because of her superdelegate pledges, but those pledges aren't worth the paper they're not written on. If Bernie had more won delegates, it would be difficult for the superdelegates to give the nomination to Clinton. It's a dilemma.

Solution: Hillary Clinton runs as Bernie Sanders' running mate, but with a special caveat. Bernie will ask Hillary to give him two years to get the money out of politics and reign in the big banks. During this time she will serve as a kind of "co-president," particularly taking the lead on matters of foreign policy. After two years, in exchange for her support, he will resign citing health reasons, making her president. If they time it correctly, just a shade over two years into the term, Hillary could be president for nearly ten years.

Romney Ascendant

In this scenario, Marco Rubio wins Florida, John Kasich wins Ohio, and the whole GOP shitshow rolls on, all the way to the convention, without a nominee. Trump has the most delegates, around 40-45% (about 1000), followed by Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich is descending order of importance. The Republican "establishment" (most of whom would be superdelegates on the Democratic side), determined to deny the nomination to Trump, cobbles together a deal in which Mitt Romney becomes the nominee, Marco Rubio his running mate, with promises to Cruz and Kasich to be Attorney General and Secretary of the Treasury, respectively.

Enraged, Trump launches an independent campaign, eschewing messy state ballot laws by conducting an unprecedented write-in campaign. A whole bunch of his angry supporters (aka the Republican base) rightly call bullshit on the Republican power brokers' machinations. Trump makes it his personal mission to destroy Mitt Romney and the Republicans.

And he tries. He comes at them hard. But Mitt Romney is not as dumb as he seems. He plays it straight, keeping it dignified and presidential. He stays above the fray, managing to look strong and confident while Trump rants and raves and Hillary tries to defend herself. In the end, a sizable portion of Democrats, fed up with the Clintons and dead-set against Trump, defect to the "moderate" Romney. Standing between a raving madman and a shrill shill, Romney looks good by being boring. Talk about playing to his strengths.

The election, as expected, is a mess, and ends up being thrown to the House, where the Republicans, still in control, give the presidency to Romney. But there is a wrinkle: The Senate chooses the vice president, but the post-election Senate goes back to Democratic hands after the Supreme Court refusal-to-consider-nomination fiasco. So Mitt's VP is Julian Castro, Hillary's running mate.

If either of these scenarios seem far-fetched, I urge you to watch House of Cards. :)

Member Awards ()

#2 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

I need to watch House of Cards it sounds like.

Is it bad, that either situation I would be more than happy with, only based on entertainment value.

Member Awards ()

#3 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

Either of those scenarios are bad ideas.

#4 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

Well, the Sanders one is out after tonight. But the fun continues on the Republican side. :)

Member Awards ()

#5 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:31 AM

Clin-Ton DESTROOOOY

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Mitt Romney's kind-of support for Ted Cruz (he is urging people in Utah to vote for him in the primary, but not outright endorsing him) is surprising and a little puzzling. He says he likes John Kasich but that a vote for the Ohio governor is tantamount to a vote for Donald Trump, a refrain that Cruz has been repeating ad nauseum. But, like much of what comes out of Republicans' mouths, it is untrue. A vote for John Kasich is a vote that Donald Trump is not getting. The idea is that everyone needs to unite behind Cruz in order to deny Trump the 1,237 delegates needed to clinch the nomination, but that's not true. The only reason to unite behind Cruz is to try to get him to that magic number instead.

But Ted Cruz doesn't need to win in order for Donald Trump to lose. In fact the most likely scenario (at the moment) is a contested convention, in which no one gets to 1,237. Trump has won 46% of the delegates so far; at that rate he will go into the convention around 100 short. Cruz has won about 30% of the delegates so far. Assuming Trump and Cruz are each at or near their vote ceilings, that leaves the remaining 24% to go to Kasich.

Tactically, if Mitt Romney hopes to have any chance of emerging as the nominee from a contested convention, it would make more sense to back Kasich. While unlikely, Cruz could still theoretically get to 1,237 (he'd have to win 78% of the remaining delegates, a task so daunting as to be virtually impossible, yet still within the realm of mathematical possibility). I would not think Romney would want to take a chance, no matter how small, of anyone locking up the nomination. If Romney had supported Kasich in Utah it would have all but guaranteed the Ohio governor's victory there (where Romney is looked upon with the kind of reverence once reserved for Greek gods). Kasich's politics are closer to Romney's too.

I know Mitt Romney. He was my governor for four years (not by choice). I even met him once, before he became governor, when he was running for the Senate against Ted Kennedy. (If anyone's curious, he is tall, handsome, polite, and utterly vacant. There is just nothing to the guy.) I cannot believe that Romney would actually like Cruz. Most likely he would find the Texas governor boorish and uncouth. So why support Cruz over Kasich?

Member Awards ()

#7 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:52 AM

Because he's vacant. He's a vessel for the GOP establishment. Their best hope is Cruz, because they can control Cruz, they can't control Trump.

#8 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

I guess you're referring to the Netflix House of Cards, not the original.

Sanders/Clinton gets interesting if Sanders wins New York.

Member Awards ()

#9 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

If he wins New York, no matter what else happens, Hilliary will have "lost".

Member Awards ()

#10 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

Well that didn't happen. Looks like history will record both a President Bush the Second and a President Clinton the Second.

Member Awards ()

#11 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

Well that didn't happen. Looks like history will record both a President Bush the Second and an Emperor Trump

Fixed

#12 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

Trump will find himself a guest of a black site before he ever gets to be President.

Member Awards ()

#13 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:56 PM

Pshhhhh nah.

#14 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

Trump will find himself a guest of a black site before he ever gets to be President.

You guys are adorable, you know that?

tlCFXYW.jpg

#15 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

Spoiler

Member Awards ()

#16 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:37 AM

I hadn't been able to save a copy of the superior version of that image yet, thanks. I respect the amount of effort you put into that post. If you would like to test my gudness, feel free to come invade me in that spot right after Pontiff Sulyvahn and I'll bestoc you into the ground.

#17 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

Well, so much for the HoC scenarios! Trump and Hillary got it effectively locked up, respectively.

Member Awards ()

#18 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link