• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

2 main quests done and owning 4 power armours and like 5 or 6 villages.

#2 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Ruler Name:wildbillhkhk
  • Nation Name:Bilee
  • IRC Nick:WB
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

It's Fallout 4. Or IV if you insist on numerals.

Can't to wait play it. Fallout 3 was epic.

Edited by wildbillhkhk, 14 November 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#3 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

It's Fallout 4. Or IV if you insist on numerals.

Can't to wait play it. Fallout 3 was epic.

But my clock says IIII

#4 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

... and here I was expecting a retro thread.

I dunno. I'm split on it. Fallout 3 was a good game, but ... it lacked the Falloutiness that made the first two so special in my heart.

... and I miss the turn-based combat. VATS is similar but it's nowhere near as fun as combat was in 1 and 2. And, apparently, VATS no longer freezes time, which pulls it even further from the old system.

I loved NV though. Yeah, it crashes so damn much, but it feels so much like the old Fallout. I don't think I've ever laughed as much as I did when I played through Old World Blues. Maybe Obsidian will license the F4 engine for an NCR game or something.

Still someday I'll probably upgrade to next-gen and buy Fallout 4 used. The same way I got Fallout 3, with all its DLC on the disk. That was worth it.

Member Awards ()

#5 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Ruler Name:wildbillhkhk
  • Nation Name:Bilee
  • IRC Nick:WB
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:58 PM

I dunno. I'm split on it. Fallout 3 was a good game, but ... it lacked the Falloutiness that made the first two so special in my heart.

... and I miss the turn-based combat. VATS is similar but it's nowhere near as fun as combat was in 1 and 2. And, apparently, VATS no longer freezes time, which pulls it even further from the old system.

I loved NV though. Yeah, it crashes so damn much, but it feels so much like the old Fallout. I don't think I've ever laughed as much as I did when I played through Old World Blues. Maybe Obsidian will license the F4 engine for an NCR game or something.

Still someday I'll probably upgrade to next-gen and buy Fallout 4 used. The same way I got Fallout 3, with all its DLC on the disk. That was worth it.

Just gotta say, I thought new vegas wasn't so good. Didn't play it too much though. Found it kinda hard to get into. 3 however had me hooked.
I played a lil bit of the first two, and I can see why it made fans, they just aren't for me

#6 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

Oh please do talk about the classics their great.

#7 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:24 AM

I've actually changed my mind on NV, it's a very good game. I think my first few playthroughs I didn't play it properly and got bored.

Plus I've got all the DLC now so, that helps.

#8 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:49 AM

I've actually changed my mind on NV, it's a very good game.

Shit, I misread that as IV at first and not NV.

Edited by Shokkou, 16 November 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#9 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

You can own villages?

Member Awards ()

#10 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:52 PM

I've actually changed my mind on NV, it's a very good game. I think my first few playthroughs I didn't play it properly and got bored.

Well, that's nice to hear. :) What do you mean by properly?

Plus I've got all the DLC now so, that helps.

Yeah. Honestly the DLC are the best part, especially Lost Hearts and Old World Blues. (Not so much a fan of Dead Money, even if it does have Laura Bailey in it. Still good though. I mean, Laura Bailey. There are a few genuinely scary scenes in Lonesome Road but overall the story doesn't pack that much oomph; I always think the Ulysses character comes across as more Creepy Stalker than Arch-Nemesis.)

You can own villages?

Yeah, it's been in all the previews. You can build them up and set up trade routes and things. SimFallout; or perhaps TropicoFallout :)

Sigh. I did kinda get my hopes up when I found out there was body customization. Now the game's out, and I find out it's basically just Saints Row 3 body shaping without Sex Appeal. <_<

I want a game with the avatar customization features of Dragon's Dogma and a big game world, dammit!

Member Awards ()

#11 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

You can own villages?

Build shit, assign people to jobs like farming or running a shop and once in a century get some lame raid. The max 20 people just makes it a handy unlimited dumping ground that can be linked with several locations.

Your usual Bethesda sprawdinly city with just 4 people pretty much.

#12 Molagbal

Molagbal

AWESOME

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 217 posts
  • Ruler Name:XxHouseArrestXx
  • Nation Name:Poland
  • IRC Nick:Molagbal
  • Alliance Name:North Atlantic Defense Coalition
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:44 AM

I think the game is pretty good, namely because I didn't listen or buy into the hype train which always leads to disappointment.  Imo the story is much better than previous Bethesda titles.  The game still has problems and issues but overall I think its good.

Edited by Molagbal, 17 November 2015 - 12:44 AM.

#13 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:54 AM

I think the game is pretty good, namely because I didn't listen or buy into the hype train which always leads to disappointment.  Imo the story is much better than previous Bethesda titles.  The game still has problems and issues but overall I think its good.

nN6RBGS.jpg

#14 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:04 AM

Well, that's nice to hear. :) What do you mean by properly?

>Plus I've got all the DLC now so, that helps.

Yeah. Honestly the DLC are the best part, especially Lost Hearts and Old World Blues. (Not so much a fan of Dead Money, even if it does have Laura Bailey in it. Still good though. I mean, Laura Bailey. There are a few genuinely scary scenes in Lonesome Road but overall the story doesn't pack that much oomph; I always think the Ulysses character comes across as more Creepy Stalker than Arch-Nemesis.)

When I first played it, I didn't go too hard on the side quests, to be honest I was trying to figure out who the hell my character was and why they were found in a grave. Then I took the No Gods or Masters option at the end of the main quest, having pretty much ignored the NCR/Legion conflict entirely, and got to the end going "Well, that was short. Let me try that again"... and proceeded to do very nearly the same thing, instead taking over the Legion. I still thought it was too short.

I've been playing a new game where, now that I've got the DLC, I have reason to go wandering about looking for it, and ho boy, found the content. 

Just going to say, Old World Blues is the best bit of game I have played in a while. It's somewhere around the same level of lolwtf as Farcry III: Blood Dragon for me, which is awesome.

#15 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:37 AM

Yeah. From looking at Random Achievement Lists on XBox Live I think a lot of people have made that mistake actually. No Gods or Masters is very much the dominant achievement, and while I kinda like it as an ending, you can get there without doing an awful lot of the open world stuff, especially if you just skip the sidequest launching in Side Bets by going "I've decided to ignore X" for everyone. But even without doing that, a lot of the more interesting sidequests and locations aren't connected to Side Bets anyway; you just have to wander around to find stuff like Vault 19 or Return to Sender.

Still, one of the things I find irritating about Lonesome Road is that there's no Yes Man duster. (After completing the DLC you get various items, one of which is a duster coat with your faction's icon on its back. Except that there are only three dusters, House, NCR or Legion. Bah.)

Member Awards ()

#16 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:42 AM

Have you tried playing Hardcore mode?

#17 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

I've only ever played in Hardcore actually. B-)

Member Awards ()

#18 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:09 AM

nN6RBGS.jpg

This is what I hate, I would love a very in depth RPG where you can almost do anything and rarely do the same. But instead all games to making things simple.

#19 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

Well... no CRPG will ever have the level of complexity in character creation that you get in (some) tabletop games. Everything in a CRPG has to be defined from the start, you can't modularize it, so you'll never see a CRPG which has all the options that a game like Shadowrun had, for example.

The flip side is that CRPGs, because they automate task-resolution, can have far more complex task resolution systems without bogging down the game. Implementing something like the combat system in DAO/DA2 on tabletop would just be incredibly cumbersome, with all the calculations. This is one of the reasons why I liked Neverwinter Nights actually; playing D&D v3 on tabletop is pretty cumbersome, but when playing NWN the computer handles all those silly formulas for you and makes it much more fun.

The other thing is that CRPGs can have transparent task-resolution, which is really useful in stealth situations to make things tense and exciting, because you the player don't know if anyone has spotted you yet, and also in social situations.

Alas, transparent task-resolution used to be common in stealth games, but it's going out of fashion. One of my big beefs with Skyrim is the open eye for stealth. It takes all the tension out! Sneaking into the bandit camp is now just a matter of going into stealth mode, maybe going invisible, and then bumping around the camp knocking off fools until the eye opens. Then you run away, rinse, repeat. Back in the days of games like Deus Ex (which was tragically flawed in many ways but not this one), when you were sneaking, the only warning you had of being caught was getting attacked. Wouldn't it be better if the bandits, instead of giving you the Open Eye - Danger Will Robinson mode, instead started trying to stealthily signal to each other to catch you? That would bring back the old excitement that has been lost from so many of these games.

And transparent task-resolution has pretty much never been used in social situations (except in some downloadable modules for NWN, maybe some other games). Social situations in most RPGs now are just selecting from menus; if you want outcome X you have to select Menu Options A, G and J. Occasionally some skill or other is involved in conversations, but the games always tell you which skill it is and usually tell you what you need to have to get the "successful" response. Wouldn't it be better if the games actually responded to you based on your character? The DA games have some limited variation based on your character background choices, but I think it would be better if characters responded based on something else other than character history. I mean, say you're playing a beautiful character, maybe some NPCs might hit on you, others could be jealous. Fable managed the hitting on you part at least, albeit in a stupendously ridiculous way. B-) But other games which feature romance options, generally speaking the romance triggers regardless of what your character looks like. I mean, you can use Dragon's Dogma to make a character that looks like this...

maxresdefault.jpg

And you'll still have a true love picked for you, who might well be this girl:

250px-Madeleine-1.jpg

It's sorta ridiculous. B-) (I still love Dragon's Dogma anyway. It may be the most flawed CRPG in history but the avatar creation is amazingly powerful and it has something which sets it apart from its competition, which is to say it's exciting. Still, the English voice acting is possibly the worst in videogame history and the world is far too small. But the things it does well, it does incredibly well.)

Member Awards ()

#20 Molagbal

Molagbal

AWESOME

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 217 posts
  • Ruler Name:XxHouseArrestXx
  • Nation Name:Poland
  • IRC Nick:Molagbal
  • Alliance Name:North Atlantic Defense Coalition
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

nN6RBGS.jpg

Okay?  They simplified aspects of the game, but that automatically doesn't mean the game is bad.

Edited by Molagbal, 18 November 2015 - 12:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users