• Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

http://forums.cybern...ons-grand-give/

AYGjFoL.png

Hello everyone, it is wartime in Cyber Nations and we are all focused on the fun of war, but we should time some time out of nuking and launching ground attacks against other nations and bickering with each other on IRC or the forums to look at the real world for a minute - What about the less fortunate people in this world?

The charity that won the vote was charity:water, so it will be the charity that is the subject of the donation drive..

If you are unfamiliar with charity: water, please read the bottom of the post for info.

A variety of alliances have been contacted regarding this drive and all alliances contacted support this drive overwhelmingly.

Starting today and ending approximately two months from today, on Saturday, April 20th the donation drive will be going on, with stats being updated weekly. I will also post totals of how each alliance is doing.

This is not a competition and the real winners are the people who get the assistance they need. The goal is to raise money for an outstanding charity that helps people around the world. So please donate what you can to support this charity and give yourself that warm and gooey feeling you get when you do something nice for someone else.

To donate, click here

Amount Raised: $0
Current Goal: $2500

Donation Information:
Note #1: You will be donating the money directly to the charity
Note #2: Methods of donation include:

• PayPal
  • Credit Card

Note #3: Remember, charitable donations are tax deductible in most countries.

In order for people to know who you are, put your username and alliance name in the comments. I think that should work.

Here are what the different tiers of donations do:

27ZZ0pk.png
If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this topic

Description

Spoiler

Edited by Алйстьер, 17 February 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#2 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Also best reply on OWF "Which alliance forum did you hack this time, Bros?"

#3 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Man, I hate charities.

#4 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm normally very suspicious of charities that claim to be acting to benefit people in the third world; frequently there is a scam going on or some kind of ulterior motive. Charity: water does not appear to be a religious organization, which is a good first step; it means that they aren't just, say, giving away free Bibles to starving Africans. However I was not able to find any information about their activities in the third world except via their own website, which raises alarm bells. To their credit, on their website they say they are doing things like drilling wells, which is commendable if that's what they're really doing, but I haven't been able to find any independent verification of that.

They are a genuine charity in the legal sense; they are based in New York City, and their board of directors includes mostly bigshots from the American financial industry. They're not a front for MK.

Member Awards ()

#5 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

lol, why do you think people thought it was a front for MK?

choose the one I nominated.

Member Awards ()

#6 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

lol, why do you think people thought it was a front for MK?

choose the one I nominated.

Remember the first one? Doctors With Out Borders. It was called MK scam on so many levels.

#7 Princess xR1

Princess xR1

Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Ruler Name:xR1 Fatal Instinct
  • Nation Name:Brotherhood of Steel
  • IRC Nick:xR1_Fatal_Instinct
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

[conspiracy]THEY USE THE MONEY FOR DONATIONS TO CN TO REBUILD THEIR NATIONS FOR BASICALLY FREE.[/conspiracy]

Member Awards ()

#8 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

heh, I have to admit I wondered if that's what they were doing when I noticed there was a dedicated donation page. However I was able to verify that this was not the case. Please continue on about your day. B)

Member Awards ()

#9 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Not to be the negative guy on all of this, but I've never thought giving to a charity really did any good. There are so many charities out there, some have been around for years and years, and yet Africa is still pretty much a hell on Earth for those people, save for the more developed areas like South Africa. If you really wanna help them, you'd need a modernized country, such as the US, to go over and one by one, modernize those countries. Work with their governments (If there aren't any, establish a temporary government and facilities) and help them build themselves up and maybe after a decade or two, considering Africa is a big place, you could get that whole continent on its feet. And it would be a good investment. Africa holds a lot of precious metals. Start tapping into them and mining them could give a nice boost to your economy while piling in all of this stuff to help them.

Or if it's too big of a job for one country, just ask around the UN. Doing all that would really help them more than just asking a few civilians to donate a little chunk of money to solve only one problem in one country...or even just a small sector in that country. =/

But, we all know that is impossible as of right now. None of the higher ups really give a shit about Africa anyway, they'll just let the charities keep struggling to make a difference. It disgusts me. Charities aren't bad if they're legit, but they're not enough, and they know it too, but if they all gave up then NOTHING would be done to help them. 

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users