• 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

http://www.nydailyne...n=NYDN Facebook

TL;DR: The first ever Video game hall of fame was established in Rochester NY and the first six inductees are: Doom, Super Mario Brothers, Pac Man, Pong, Tetris, and World of Warcraft.

Personally, the Legend of Zelda should have gone in as it has been a staple of gaming for over 30 years but that is just me.

Discuss

Member Awards ()

#2 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:02 AM

Fuck World of Warcraft.

#3 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

Fuck World of Warcraft.

Member Awards ()

#4 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

Zelda for sure.  :)

Member Awards ()

#5 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:30 AM

Yeah, zelda and metroid should have gone in before doom and wow.

Member Awards ()

#6 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

I understand why WoW was put in. I don't care for the game either but without it MMO's would have never really taken off. Same goes with Doom and FPS.

Member Awards ()

#7 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

I understand why WoW was put in [...] without it MMO's would have never really taken off.

I don't follow. I thought this was a hall of fame, not infamy.

#8 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:59 PM

I understand why WoW was put in [...] without it MMO's would have never really taken off.

I don't follow. I thought this was a hall of fame, not infamy.

It is one of the top selling games of all time, set the standard for pay for play games and almost single handedly created a genre of gaming. I am not saying i like the game or that I personally feel it should have been first ballet (I don't) but I understand why it is where it is. Call of Duty also doesn't exist without Doom. Despite what people think, I would have voted Doom in. 22 years later, the game is still relevant and playable.

My list would have been:
Super Mario Bros
The Legend of Zelda
Doom
PacMan
Pong
Street Fighter 2

Member Awards ()

#9 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

Doom's an interesting choice, because of course it was the Game In The Middle for id software. Their first really popular game was Wolfenstein, and the game that changed gaming forever was Quake.

Wolfenstein introduced the concept of the modern shooter, Doom gave us multiplayer, but Quake gave us true 3D and online multiplayer. Between the three of them it's pretty tough to argue that they're not staggeringly influential, but Doom isn't the one I'd have picked.

WoW belongs in there, how many millions of people have played it? Augh, I don't like it either but it's also incredibly influential. Still it's the only RPG on the list, which is weird. How about Fallout, guys? The game that introduced the idea of using voice actors to gaming.

No RTS at all, as WoW - which came from the RTS world - doesn't count. That's also strange. I don't know the RTS world well enough to say what should go in there.

Minecraft might be too new to go in yet.

Final Fantasy surely goes in. I don't know which Elder Scrolls game to put in, probably Oblivion.

GTA III must also go in. That should be a No Duh by now.

Member Awards ()

#10 Lordship

Lordship
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 8 posts
  • Ruler Name:His Lordship
  • Nation Name:Dragonstone
  • IRC Nick:Lordship
  • Alliance Name:Viridian Entente
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:18 PM

Starcraft for sure

#11 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

I don't know the RTS world well enough to say what should go in there.

I don't know which Elder Scrolls game to put in, probably Oblivion.

For RTS, it has to be Starcraft. It's one of the defining games of the pro-scene, and even ignoring that it's the iconic RTS example.

For Elder Scrolls, I'd actually go Morrowind or Skyrim. Oblivion was the most "meh" of the last 3. It was too typical and traditional with nothing special about it. Morrowind had a unique world, art, and interesting story (not that Oblivion didn't have a decent story), and Skyrim is a very enjoyable game that's achieved massive popularity.

Member Awards ()

#12 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:47 PM

Doom's an interesting choice, because of course it was the Game In The Middle for id software. Their first really popular game was Wolfenstein, and the game that changed gaming forever was Quake.

Wolfenstein introduced the concept of the modern shooter, Doom gave us multiplayer, but Quake gave us true 3D and online multiplayer. Between the three of them it's pretty tough to argue that they're not staggeringly influential, but Doom isn't the one I'd have picked.

WoW belongs in there, how many millions of people have played it? Augh, I don't like it either but it's also incredibly influential. Still it's the only RPG on the list, which is weird. How about Fallout, guys? The game that introduced the idea of using voice actors to gaming.

No RTS at all, as WoW - which came from the RTS world - doesn't count. That's also strange. I don't know the RTS world well enough to say what should go in there.

Minecraft might be too new to go in yet.

Final Fantasy surely goes in. I don't know which Elder Scrolls game to put in, probably Oblivion.

GTA III must also go in. That should be a No Duh by now.

Doom was one of the first FPS's to get a lot of publicity and make the genre popular. Yes Wolfenstein came first but it was a niche genre at that point. How many Wolfenstein games were ever sold? Was it really the game that pushed the genre? I would say no. Quake while popular does not have the pop culture identification that Doom enjoys. 

Fallout, Minecraft, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Starcraft and any GTA game fall in at best 2nd tier and at worst Hall of Very Good. I love the FF series and GTA series as much or more than anyone here but none of those games hold up to what I would set the bar as what I would think the cream of the crop goes gaming wise. The only reason I included Street Fighter 2 into the discussion was because of the impact it had on gaming. You couldn't walk into an arcade from 1991 to 1996 and expect to be able to walk up to whatever fighting game that was new and expect to play immediately or for very long unless you were incredibly good not to mention that the game launched the genre that dominated the 16 bit consule gaming era.

Member Awards ()

#13 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:50 AM

Dude, GTA III created a genre. All of the modern criminal games come from it, and its influence can be seen on many games outside the genre. Have you ever played a game with a minimap? That's GTA III.

No other GTA game should qualify. While they have all sold quite well, many of them setting sales records, GTA I and II do not have the same level of impact in gaming, and all GTA games since III are basically derived from it.

When Wolfenstein came out, first-person shooters weren't a niche genre. They did not exist. Doom was the second one, and Quake the third. It's true that Doom sold better than Wolfenstein, but I believe the biggest seller out of the bunch was Quake II, which was also the first game to do online multiplayer straight out of the box (Quake I required free downloadable software to do online multiplayer).

I mean, online multiplayer. That's kind of ... a big thing now, right? :)

The first non-id FPS was either Duke Nukem or Unreal. I think it was Nukem. Unreal of course had an impact because of the licensing of the engine to other publishers, but the reason it was popular was because of id.

I forgot about Street Fighter. You are correct. I hate Street Fighter with a deep-seated passion but it is also incredibly influential.

Neither Skyrim nor Morrowind sold like Oblivion. You should look at those numbers from 2006. The problem with including Elder Scrolls games - and the modern Fallout games - is that they are not influential outside their quite large fan base; the reason I suggested Oblivion is not because it's the "best" Elder Scroll game (I actually like Morrowind best) but rather because it sold so many units, and continues to sell units nearly a decade on. If Skyrim is still selling units in 2021 then maybe. The original Fallout I suggested mostly because of the use of voice actors. We now expect to hear voice actors in our games, but before Fallout there weren't any.

Member Awards ()

#14 Lordship

Lordship
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 8 posts
  • Ruler Name:His Lordship
  • Nation Name:Dragonstone
  • IRC Nick:Lordship
  • Alliance Name:Viridian Entente
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

I'd say you have to include the original DOTA in there because it brought about the giant MOBA scene that we know today. Personally I love LoL and HotS but you gotta give credit where credit is due and the OG takes it on this one

#15 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

I nominate:
The Asterix game series particularly Asterix and the Great Rescue(Sega Genesis)- For those of you who dont know or remember its a game with these guys....
asterix_and_obelix-150633.jpg

I nominate this game(series) for afew reasons.....
A. Its entertaining and rather comedic
B. Its difficult, sometimes unnessecarily difficult

C. It's based off of the French comic book series of the same name (Asterix) which illustrates the Roman invasion of Gaul through the eyes of 2 Gaulish heroes

only downside is i dont know exactly how popular these games were

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(Super Nintendo)- because i dont know anyone who has officially beaten this game

Sonic the Hedgehog Series-Not sure if anyone has nominated yet but some of these are classics and Sonic is a character that has been in the hearts of gamers for awhile now.

Im gonna roll Spyro, Croc, Banjo Kazooi, & Crash Bandicoot all together into one nomination mainly because they are all almost the same game but im sure many of us played these for HOURS. For a shoort time these were some of the best games we had.

Now many of you may yell at me or laugh because of this next nomination so here it goes.

MONKEY ISLAND and RETURN TO MONKEY ISLAND

Edited by HordeLorde, 26 June 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#16 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

Are these truly historic games?

No.

However, we're still missing things like Zork, Space Invaders (I mean, seriously, it's got a song), Marathon, Quake, Unreal Tournament & CounterStrike, Dune 2, Civilization II....

#17 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:02 AM

No.

However, we're still missing things like Zork, Space Invaders (I mean, seriously, it's got a song), Marathon, Quake, Unreal Tournament & CounterStrike, Dune 2, Civilization II....

Time. 

The OP specified the opening class of inductees. Out of the list you mentioned, I would hear an argument about Space Invaders. The rest have no business being discussed with Super Mario Bros, Pong, or PacMan.

Member Awards ()

#18 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:12 AM

No.

Nethack too

Member Awards ()

#19 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:02 AM

Yep, missed out nethack

#20 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

Nethack is interesting, because it was tremendously popular inside a small group in its day, but obviously the population of people playing videogames was way smaller then compared to the millions of people playing things like GTA III and WoW now. That's also why I didn't mention Ultima IV, which absolutely dominated the market back then but, well, much smaller numbers compared to something like Quake.

Space Invaders I think gets an argument though, as does Breakout. People still play those games on phones and such.

I already had the Quake discussion in this thread, Red, pay attention. (Long story short - they put Doom in; I would either have put Wolfenstein in because it was first or Quake in because of its huge impact on gaming.)

Zork is also interesting, because although Infocom is now long gone you can still see its influence on the logic of adventure gaming.

Asterix the comic belongs in the Comic Book Hall of Fame, good god how many millions of books have they sold; however I'm not buying putting the videogame there.

Sonic the Hedgehog and Monkey Island, although I may in fact despise both of them almost as much as I hate Street Fighter, are also extremely influential. Ugh. Can I stop talking about them now?

Unreal Tournament & CounterStrike were both progressive evolutionary games from Quake II. Which, you know, isn't a bad thing; that could be said about pretty much all of our modern shooters, but eh.

Dune 2? Huh?

Civilization... same problem as the Elder Scrolls games. It sold well, and had a dedicated fanbase: but - not influential outside that group, and what's more it's basically a type of game that has completely disappeared now, so not a long-lived game either.

That said, SMAC is still one of my ten favourite games ever.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users