• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

I reserved my copy.

Question: Will I be able to burn it to a DVD for if I have to format and do a complete re-install?

Member Awards ()

#2 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

Yes! There's an app free for download from Microsoft that gets your computer to build a reinstall CD (fresh, no backed up documents/apps). It's bound to your CD key, so just make that disk early and keep your CD key safe and you're set! :D

#3 Erwin Schrödinger

Erwin Schrödinger
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 95 posts
  • Ruler Name:Erwin Schrodinger
  • Nation Name:Burmuda Triangle
  • Alliance Name:NG
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

Has anyone heard of any beta user reviews or anything? I'm waiting to download until I hear whether it is compared to Windows XP or Windows 8.0.

#4 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:56 AM

Has anyone heard of any beta user reviews or anything? I'm waiting to download until I hear whether it is compared to Windows XP or Windows 8.0.

If you compare it in to XP you should try cryogenic sleep and join us in the present.

10 is where Microsoft started to get its sanity back and stopped pushing a OS meant for tablets down peoples throats that uses it for desktop (aka 99.99% of their users). Their modern ui gets more present and at times it now works. It's still a mess of legacy code. And it looks to me like it again boots faster. It now comes with a builtin virus-scanner you can't turn off and finally for home users updates are mandatory.

Written from Windows 10  because seven eight nine.

#5 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

Yes! There's an app free for download from Microsoft that gets your computer to build a reinstall CD (fresh, no backed up documents/apps). It's bound to your CD key, so just make that disk early and keep your CD key safe and you're set! :D

Can you do this with Windows 7 too? My wife's comp came with it pre-installed but no disc. 

Member Awards ()

#6 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:51 AM

Can you do this with Windows 7 too? My wife's comp came with it pre-installed but no disc. 

http://www.microsoft...ftware-recovery besides that contact vendor or find one of the rare clean iso's.

Edited by xoindotnler, 20 July 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#7 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

Yea can you? I fixed a laptop that was basically dead by formatting and installing the windows 7 (64bit) for my desktop on the laptop. I used the user key (for windows 7 64 bit) from the laptop, but it seems wonky. Of course I have to mess with drivers (wifi namely) but I still think it didn't take right.

I tried googling to see if what I was doing was kosher, but I spent 10-15 minutes and said screw it. Laptop went from being bricked to having windows 7 at the very least.

Member Awards ()

#8 lennybronx

lennybronx
  • Advisor
  • 260 posts
  • Ruler Name:lennybronx
  • Nation Name:Dominica Isle
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

Microsoft listened to you. More than anything else, that's why Windows 10 won't be another Windows 8 or Vista.

~ CNN MONEY

For once Microsoft is doing this right. They worked with companies like Dell, HP, and Toshiba to get as much valuable feedback as possible. Plus their "beta program" for lack of a better name has over a million people on board with largely good reviews. 

Member Awards ()

#9 Erwin Schrödinger

Erwin Schrödinger
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 95 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

Microsoft listened to you. More than anything else, that's why Windows 10 won't be another Windows 8 or Vista.

~ CNN MONEY

For once Microsoft is doing this right. They worked with companies like Dell, HP, and Toshiba to get as much valuable feedback as possible. Plus their "beta program" for lack of a better name has over a million people on board with largely good reviews. 

~ CNN MONEY

This is more of what I meant. I don't want to (practically) irreversibly download 10 if reviews are going to be akin to 8.0 or Vista. Reviews for XP were great. I'm not saying they should go back to that, I mean, no need to go backwards.

From the sounds of it they put some effort into finding out what users want. I'll see if they deliver and if so, I'll sign up for it. I think everyone gets almost a year or so to opt in after the release.

#10 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

Bill Gates got so mad at what was going on and how flagrantly Ballmer was ignoring customers that he pulled the eject lever on him and replaced him with Satya.

Satya made Xbox the enormously popular entity it is today...... sooooo basically that is now being applied to Windows.

I mean I liked what was done with 8, but apparently that places me in the minority. Oh well. Windows 10 looks amazing.

#11 Erwin Schrödinger

Erwin Schrödinger
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 95 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

I look forward to it then.

8.0 was trash, from what I hear. But I'm using 8.1 right now and love it.

#12 Colt1945

Colt1945

Boo

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 37 posts
  • Ruler Name:Colt1945
  • Nation Name:Rauco
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:35 AM

How large is Windows 10? I have it reserved for my laptop, I have shitty connection though, I hope it doesn't take days to download ;/

#13 Phate

Phate
  • 3108 posts
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

How large is Windows 10? I have it reserved for my laptop, I have shitty connection though, I hope it doesn't take days to download ;/

Their reservation screen says 3GB

Member Awards ()

#14 lennybronx

lennybronx
  • Advisor
  • 260 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

I know they said they were phasing out the release in an effort to patch up any potential bugs. But I have been looking forward to this and was kind of hoping i would get it yesterday. Anybody know how long before everybody who reserved their copy gets it?

Member Awards ()

#15 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

Already got it. If you don't want to wait cause you're awesome like me, go get the ISOs that are freely available on the Windows site.

#16 Phate

Phate
  • 3108 posts
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:36 AM

What Redezra said.

http://windows.micro...on-tool-install

Member Awards ()

#17 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:48 AM

So, who's installed it so far? pros/cons?

Member Awards ()

#18 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

I have it downloaded lol

Waiting for someone (me) to back up everything so I can install.

Member Awards ()

#19 lennybronx

lennybronx
  • Advisor
  • 260 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

I've installed it on my desktop that i dont use too often. Im going to wait for the official update for my laptop since that has a genuine version of windows 8.1. My desktop did not have a genuine version. But just like last time i was able to download windows and use an activator. So far i have to say it is a much better experience than windows 8.1. In fact, im even using Windows Edge(the replacement to Internet Explorer) instead of Chrome like I normally would. After I got windows 8 I lost all respect and support for Microsoft and became more of a Google fanatic. Microsoft seems to slowly be drawing me back. I even use OneDrive more often. So I have to give them props for the drastic improvement. 

I will still never get a Windows Phone though. That still needs a shit load of work lol 

Member Awards ()

#20 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

I think it's better than all other windows OSs in baaasically every way that it is possible to be better. Faster, smoother, sleeker, easier to navigate, has a bunch of cool new unobtrusive features...

It's awesome :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users