Photo

American Exceptionalism

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: American Exceptionalism (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Americans Believe in a Unique American "Mission"?

1. Yes (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No (10 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

I'm not lower class, and I'm not even middle class, and I don't live or work anywhere near the less savory parts of my city. So I have literally no idea how they go about doing things, and although I like to believe they're like me

They're not.

Member Awards ()

#22 Imperator

Imperator
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 421 posts
  • Ruler Name:Imperator Honorius
  • Nation Name:Ishtaristan
  • IRC Nick:Imperator
  • Alliance Name:Green Protection Agency
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

They're not.

I've seen/heard some of the attitudes people have, especially towards non-white personnel in the service industry. It can get pretty bad. When I was working as a cashier as one of my first jobs fresh out of high school, I even had one old lady confide to me: "The Asians are following me. They've been following me since the train station." Right behind her were an Asian couple. It was arguably one of the most awkward moments in my life. I mean, just what the fuck do you say to that sort of shit? Especially when people of the same race she's talking about are right behind her within earshot... It's not like you can disabuse a complete nutjob of a customer of their silly notions when you're in the service industry either. <_<

As for my background, I'd say middle class, although I did go to a private school, which the Premier's son attended and also the son of the CEO of Wesfarmers. :v Also, a current state govt. minister used to work there as a teacher (Peter Collier). So I've had a decently priveleged upbringing, Redezra. :P

That said, minorities, like indigenous Australians, can be equally racist back, even without cause, which I've personally experienced in the centre of Perth. So, yeah, it's not all sunshine and lollipops.

#23 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Oh, yeah, the Abos are a nightmare. We white folk certainly can be a bitch to them, but they are literally the number one scourge on our streets. You even look at them and they'll take that as an opportunity to royally fuck your life up.

Not all of them, mind you. Just like every people, there are plenty of nice, amicable humans that you can hang out with and are generally pretty awesome. What I'm saying is that the incidence of these malicious groups is higher (and that's a fact, our police constantly go on about it to the social services to try and get them to solve the problem), and that they're generally more violent, and with little to no cause. Rather scary late on a friday night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users