Photo

Afterlife?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Afterlife? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Is there an afterlife?

1. Yes (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Don't know, but I hope so (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. Don't know, but I hope not (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, that's something that I remember asking as a kid, and no one really wanted to answer it for me. But if the only reason you're being a "good" Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/etc. is because you're afraid of punishment, then that's not really faith. And any god that would subscribe to a strict "my way or Hell" policy is not a god worthy of worship, in my opinion. But all of this begs the question of an afterlife. You don't need religion for there to be an afterlife. As Brian Griffin said, "I bet you that the real answer to the nature of our existence is gonna be more unimaginably amazing than we can possibly conceive."

Member Awards ()

#22 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

More importantly, Pascal's Wager is fallacious to begin with. It assumes that the "God exists" scenario can be simplified to "believing in god".

But which one? Jehovah? Zeus? Allah? Ra? Odin? Cthulhu? Each one says they don't look too kindly on those following other gods... so you need to choose correctly. Not just from all the manifold gods and pantheons that already exist, but from all the ones that have not existed, because it's not guaranteed that humanity has found the right god.

There are an infinite number of possible Gods. Therefore, there is a flat zero percent chance of getting it right. So the wager is ridiculous anyway. Why bother at all?

#23 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:17 AM

There are an infinite number of possible Gods. Therefore, there is a flat zero percent chance of getting it right.

I'm going to go into a corner, hug a math book, and cry. On the bright side, being in the corner will hopefully get me out of splooge range from this atheist circlejerk. :v

#24 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:14 AM

Any number divided by infinity == 0. Search your math book, you know it to be true! :P

This is not an atheist circlejerk. This is a trademarked, copyrighted, patent pending, Redezra's Opinion Via Rocket Launcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users