• 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

Spain wants Gibraltar(sp) back now too.

They've wanted Gibraltar back from the moment they lost it. They're still not going to get it. Gibraltarians, unlike Scots, actually like being British, and if the Brits'll travel halfway around the goddamned globe to defend some sheep-fuckers in the Malvinas, a little economic setback from leaving the EU ain't gonna stop 'em from defending their own backyard.

> Malvinas

Only one person voted no there when asked to stay or go, that person was very wooly and walking on all fours while chewing grass.

#22 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

Spain wants Gibraltar(sp) back now too.

They've wanted Gibraltar back from the moment they lost it. They're still not going to get it. Gibraltarians, unlike Scots, actually like being British, and if the Brits'll travel halfway around the goddamned globe to defend some sheep-fuckers in the Malvinas, a little economic setback from leaving the EU ain't gonna stop 'em from defending their own backyard.

> Malvinas

Only one person voted no there when asked to stay or go, that person was very wooly and walking on all fours while chewing grass.

Excuse yourself, there were three no votes.

Member Awards ()

#23 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

You mean meeeeeeehhhh.

#24 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

6HHg1dw.jpg

Member Awards ()

#25 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

The fact of the matter is that just as the decision in Britain was motivated by a growing sense that the leadership of the EU was out of touch with the voices of its people, there is and has been a growing sense that the federal government in the US is out of touch with the majority of Americans. Would I like to see a state like Texas be the Britain of the US, kicking off a domino effect that'd send this bloated system crashing down? Absolutely. Do I think it's likely in the near future? Probably not, but not for any reason so blunt as threats of military force. Nowadays, it would look horrible for the President to even suggest that such action could be forthcoming in retaliation if a state voted democratically to secede. No, what I think truly separates the US from the EU in this case is plain old scale and momentum. The US has been its own independent, unified country for over 200 years. Compare that to the European Union, which has existed for less than a quarter of that. Also, as KiWi mentioned, the US is more homogenized. For those 200+ years we've been around, we've grown up with a shared language and shared core principles. While each state may have its own cultural identities (Texans are cowboys y'all, New Yahkas always defend the pizza place they grew up with to the death, Californians are gay, etc), the prevailing mentality has always been that they are an addition to our national identity. With Europe, they have hundreds of years of national identity and their own cultural distinctness that comes with it. You simply cannot, as I've said before, cannot lump an entire continent with that kind of cultural diversity together and expect to be able to avoid disenfranchising absolutely everyone. Now with that being said I don't think this makes it impossible that states may decide to secede from the US, just that it would take a lot longer to gain traction than the idea of Britain leaving the EU. A couple of decades down the line? Who knows.

Edited by Shokkou, 25 June 2016 - 07:43 AM.

#26 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

I mean, those are all good points, but I feel the idea Britain left the EU over a feeling the leadership is out-of-touch is overthinking things a tad.

ukip-billboard-nazi-imagery-768x768.jpg

;)

Member Awards ()

#27 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:49 AM

However you want to slice it, it was a factor. Was immigration a facet of that? Undoubtedly, but rather than looking at it as immigration being the parent issue I think it was simply a weighty subset of the overarching distrust for EU leadership. It played a part in making British voters feel like their voices weren't being heard and that the machine was grinding along without paying them any heed.

EDIT: Also Godwin's Law and see my remarks in the thread about American politics regarding flinging about names like "far-right" "racist" and "Nazi."

FURTHER EDIT: Good heavens, Jorost. I feel like I'm watching a human being melt down in real time with how desperate and grasping you get on the matter of Trump with each passing week. Every time you open your mouth, you and your condescending hand wringing serve only to embody the inflexible and out-of-touch nature of today's left which both caused and inflamed the ire which has led us to where we are.

Edited by Shokkou, 25 June 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#28 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

Okay, look. I know you guys didn't know what the EU was when you voted, but you don't get a second referendum just because you're ignorant.

Also, good luck with that, Texas.

Member Awards ()

#29 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

Okay, look. I know you guys didn't know what the EU was when you voted, but you don't get a second referendum just because you're ignorant.

Would be a greater problem if they didn't. It shows the smallest attempt to be somewhat informed 

#30 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:50 PM

http://www.texaspoli...-on-federal-aid

Yes please leave Texas. It will cut our tax dollars down significantly. Secondly, build the fence to keep Texans out. We wouldn't want any illegal immigrants from Texas in our borders.

Member Awards ()

#31 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

Yes please leave Texas. It will cut our tax dollars down significantly. Secondly, build the fence to keep Texans out. We wouldn't want any illegal immigrants from Texas in our borders.

Armed checkpoints along teh border too.

PaaaaaayerzzzzzPlzzzzz

Member Awards ()

#32 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:18 PM

PaaaaaayerzzzzzPlzzzzz

Can we make Texas pay for the checkpoints too?

Member Awards ()

#33 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

It's not possible those searches are from panicked Remain voters, nor is it possible that the petition for the second referendum is predominantly being pushed by sore losers in that camp. Surely this must be a sign that Leave voters are ignorant and just don't know what they're doing.

Also, 2018 might be a bit ambitious but a lot can happen between now and then. I think the rest of 2016 and 2017 will give us a good picture as to whether or not something like that is in the cards for 2018 or not.

Edited by Shokkou, 25 June 2016 - 10:28 PM.

#34 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

It's not possible those searches are from panicked Remain voters, nor is it possible that the petition for the second referendum is predominantly being pushed by sore losers in that camp. Surely this must be a sign that Leave voters are ignorant and just don't know what they're doing.

Also, 2018 might be a bit ambitious but a lot can happen between now and then. I think the rest of 2016 and 2017 will give us a good picture as to whether or not something like that is in the cards for 2018 or not.

Personally, I don't believe anyone knew enough about anything to vote properly. As is the case with most democratic elections.

PaaaaaayerzzzzzPlzzzzz

Step 1: Name newly created Texas state Arstotzka....

#35 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

Personally, I don't believe anyone knew enough about anything to vote properly. As is the case with most democratic elections.

I'm going to leave out of my post the more in-depth commentary on my lack of surprise at your beliefs on this and simply say that no one, be they in favor of Remaining or Leaving, can know with absolute certainty what their choice will bring. Those who voted for Remaining, while they have the status-quo defense of not rocking the boat and playing it safe in the immediate future, have no more idea of what they voted for and the ramifications of this decision than those who voted to Leave. If anything, I find it more likely that those in the Remain camp gave less thought to their decision since complacency and dedication to bucking the status quo do not easily go hand in hand. Yet in spite of the lack of credible psychics on the Remain side, we're expected to accept it as fact when they speak in absolutes about the economic collapse of Britain - a nation which has thrived for centuries outside of an entity which was either powerless to stop or complicit through its incompetence in the economic crises of Greece and Ireland and Portugal. It also strains credulity that talk by prominent EU figures about the hard stance they intend to take against Britain is somehow viewed as a negative to departure, as if using iron-fisted economic blackmail to discourage other member nations from pursuing their own independence is not perfectly representative of the reasons why people might want their independence in the first place. If you have to threaten people to keep them in your union, then your union must not be as beneficial for them as you might like them to believe.

PaaaaaayerzzzzzPlzzzzz

Step 1: Name newly created Texas state Arstotzka....

While this is a great Papers Please reference I think that, even in light of the "anything can happen" tone brought on by recent events, the idea of Texas choosing to be called anything but Texas is still beyond the realm of possibility.

Edited by Shokkou, 26 June 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#36 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:38 AM

yRditsH.png

#37 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

This just in: It seems we were all wrong about the traction the petition for the second referendum was gaining and the truth behind it was even more delicious than I think most of us could have predicted. It was Internet shitposters.

While I stand by my earlier assertion that any legitimate signatures could just as easily have come from sore losers in the Remain camp, it brings me great mirth to see the media hoist by their own feverish agenda pushing. Truly, you simply cannot barrage the Farage. There are no brakes on the Brexit train.

#38 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:50 AM

Shares in Barclays and RBS dropped sharpley this morning (~8%+), triggering auto-circuit breakers, suspending trade for roughly 10 minutes.
BRP is still down against the Euro as well.

This week is gonna be fuuuuuuun!

Member Awards ()

#39 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

This week is going to be fun, what with the pro-EU people's shrill cries of "we told you so" as if the market was ever going to react to a destabilization of the status quo with anything but apprehension.

#40 Molagbal

Molagbal

AWESOME

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 217 posts
  • Ruler Name:XxHouseArrestXx
  • Nation Name:Poland
  • IRC Nick:Molagbal
  • Alliance Name:North Atlantic Defense Coalition
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

PaaaaaayerzzzzzPlzzzzz

Can we make Texas pay for the checkpoints too?

Yes, but why not build a wall? 

Edited by Molagbal, 27 June 2016 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users