Photo

Afterlife?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Afterlife? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Is there an afterlife?

1. Yes (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Don't know, but I hope so (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. Don't know, but I hope not (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

It's been a while since we've had a serious, philosophical discussion. I'll wait while everyone puts their pants on...

It's a simple question. Is there an afterlife? By "afterlife" I don't necessarily mean Heaven or Hell, although if that is your belief system those would qualify. All I mean by "afterlife" is a continued existence for our consciousness after our physical bodies die. Is there something more, or is this all there is? What do you think?

Member Awards ()

#2 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

I honestly could see there being some kind of existence after "death". To say exactly what it is, would be foolish, however I think their would be. However if not, no need for me to care for I have no control over that. Best to just except what happens at that point.

I've also lately have been doing some studies on a thing called "Astral Projection". It's quite interesting however I don't really know for sure, if the testimonials are real, or made up. You apparently are able to, project your consciousness into what is called the "Astral Plain" or I suppose the afterlife since people have supposedly spoken to those whom have died. Their is the process as well, in which one can go through in order to "Astral Project" but I have yet to try it for myself to see whatever these other people have said they saw. However it is an interesting thing to look into. It could either be real, or just a manifestation of your own imagination. Dunno.

Edited by PrinceVegeta, 30 September 2014 - 04:25 PM.

Member Awards ()

#3 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Lol. Dude, I'm a comic book, sci-fi, and fantasy geek. You don't have to explain astral projection to me. Nor probably to anyone here, I would imagine! Heh.

Astral Plane would be a great name for a band.

Member Awards ()

#4 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

I could play the keyboard.

uh... I could learn something else if you don't want that.

You lead guitar, singer, or both Jorost?

Member Awards ()

#5 TheDogMan

TheDogMan

Human-Dog Hybrid

• Banned
  • 218 posts
  • Ruler Name:TheDogMan
  • Nation Name:Nugget Nation
  • IRC Nick:Thedogman
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

I believe there's something far too complex for the mind to even begin to understand regarding life after death. There's definitely some kind of...thing? There's no way to come up with a describing word because it'd be like if I were blind and trying to explain color to another blind person.

The way that atoms hold together and interact so perfectly is amazing; it's crazy how there are particles that combine with other particles to make other particles that make molecules that make cells that make tissues that make organs that work together so perfectly that they create what we know as life. And life itself is a god damn wonder man. Like, really really think about it. It's so mind boggling that we, a collection of inanimate quarks and electrons and protons and neutrons and gluons and so on, can have this thing inside our skulls that creates the perception of life; we can actually experience and interact with the universe according to our own free will. It makes me wish I could say with words how I view life so that yall could know the amazement I feel when I think about this subject, and not just about the existence of life but of the universe itself!

The universe is so beautiful. Math governs it's every movement; we can predict almost everything that will happen to anything in this universe with enough information (with the exception of the quantum world): we know how space and time function as a system, we can predict with near accuracy the paths of planetary orbits, we can even tell you the angular momentum of a damn particle the size of an electron. Math is not just something humans came up with, but something that the universe is based upon. For these reasons, whether life existed or not, it's absolutely impossible that there's not something incomprehensiblly amazing beyond this beautiful universe. God I wish I could live to see the day that we explore these questions.

I could go on and on and on with other things to say but for the sake of TL;dr, I'll save it for another time.

Edited by TheDogMan, 30 September 2014 - 08:00 PM.

Member Awards ()

#6 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

I've thought about the afterlife quite a bit and I must first start by saying that I am not scared of it and I am not scared of dying, I believe that's fates decision on when to take me. What I believe will happen is that my soul will leave my body and I will be able to go around and do whatever I want, just observing the universe and everything in it. I also believe I will be able to talk other people that are dead, just like the supposed astro projection. But, if for whatever reason my soul is not ready for it then no afterlife, I must live another life on earth to learn another lesson for my soul, and when my soul is ready, it will join the ranks of people who are already dead and choose to stay dead because they live in their own world. 

Member Awards ()

#7 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

I've thought about the afterlife quite a bit and I must first start by saying that I am not scared of it and I am not scared of dying, I believe that's fates decision on when to take me. What I believe will happen is that my soul will leave my body and I will be able to go around and do whatever I want, just observing the universe and everything in it. I also believe I will be able to talk other people that are dead, just like the supposed astro projection. But, if for whatever reason my soul is not ready for it then no afterlife, I must live another life on earth to learn another lesson for my soul, and when my soul is ready, it will join the ranks of people who are already dead and choose to stay dead because they live in their own world. 

That wouldn't be too bad in my opinion. I'd probably spend most of my time learning from the "dead", if that were the case. Talk to all the people who changed the world, and maybe get first hand truthful information about Humanities past. Although, from what you said about living another life on Earth, I might not be able to talk to them all. lol

If anything though I really would not want to come back here. Honestly. This place sucks.

Edited by PrinceVegeta, 01 October 2014 - 12:04 PM.

Member Awards ()

#8 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

I could play the keyboard.

uh... I could learn something else if you don't want that.

You lead guitar, singer, or both Jorost?

Lead singer. Duh.

Where my leopard skin leather pants at?

Member Awards ()

#9 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

Lacking a "don't know, don't care" choice.

Member Awards ()

#10 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

Nooooo, don't be silly~ Your death is as final as your life is meaningless~

#11 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

Where is the "Stripper Factory and Beer Volcano" option?

Member Awards ()

#12 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

Nooooo, don't be silly~ Your death is as final as your life is meaningless~

i cri erry tyme

Member Awards ()

#13 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

Triple Agent for the Queen

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Ruler Name:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Name:Dal Riata
  • IRC Nick:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

For me, it's a matter of hedging bets. If you believe in afterlife (and live like it) and you're right... Yay, Heaven (or whatever)! If you're wrong... Nothing, other than maybe missing out on some experiences in life.

If you don't believe in afterlife (and supernatural judgement) and your right... Nothing, worm food. If you're wrong... Well, eternally fucked (and not in good way).

So, for me, believe there is something after life. If I'm wrong, no bad consequences. If I'm right, woohoo my seat in Valhalla!

Edited by CeltSoldierKev, 02 October 2014 - 10:44 PM.

Member Awards ()

#14 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

For me, it's a matter of hedging bets. If you believe in afterlife (and live like it) and you're right... Yay, Heaven (or whatever)! If you're wrong... Nothing, other than maybe missing out on some experiences in life.

If you don't believe in afterlife (and supernatural judgement) and your right... Nothing, worm food. If you're wrong... Well, eternally fucked (and not in good way).

So, for me, believe there is something after life. If I'm wrong, no bad consequences. If I'm right, woohoo my seat in Valhalla!

If that's how it works, and God is so fickle;

FUCK HIM.

And yea he's gotta be a male. Biggest Dick there is ,,l,,

Member Awards ()

#15 Phate

Phate
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:54 AM

You've previously read about Pascal's Wager I assume.

http://rationalwiki..../Pascal's_wager OR http://en.wikipedia..../Pascal's_wager

Member Awards ()

#16 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

For me, it's a matter of hedging bets. If you believe in afterlife (and live like it) and you're right... Yay, Heaven (or whatever)! If you're wrong... Nothing, other than maybe missing out on some experiences in life.If you don't believe in afterlife (and supernatural judgement) and your right... Nothing, worm food. If you're wrong... Well, eternally fucked (and not in good way).So, for me, believe there is something after life. If I'm wrong, no bad consequences. If I'm right, woohoo my seat in Valhalla!

You've previously read about Pascal's Wager I assume.http://rationalwiki..../Pascal's_wager OR http://en.wikipedia..../Pascal's_wager

Actually, I had not. He's a smart dude. And definitely able to explain it more thoroughly than I can. All that, and he has a great nose too!

Member Awards ()

#17 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

For me, it's a matter of hedging bets. If you believe in afterlife (and live like it) and you're right... Yay, Heaven (or whatever)! If you're wrong... Nothing, other than maybe missing out on some experiences in life.If you don't believe in afterlife (and supernatural judgement) and your right... Nothing, worm food. If you're wrong... Well, eternally fucked (and not in good way).So, for me, believe there is something after life. If I'm wrong, no bad consequences. If I'm right, woohoo my seat in Valhalla!

If that's how it works, and God is so fickle;FUCK HIM.And yea he's gotta be a male. Biggest Dick there is ,,l,,

Not exactly how that makes God fickle.

Also, there's worse things that being a Dick. Because, as everyone knows, there are 3 kinds of people in this world. Dicks, Pussies, and Assholes...

Member Awards ()

#18 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

I don't buy the "just in case" argument. In other words, "I follow such-and-such a religion just in case it's correct." In that case there's no way to win. What if you pick the wrong one? Some religions are mutually exclusive. I think of the comedian Rowan Atkinson as the Devil welcoming Christians to Hell because, as he says, "It turns out the Jews were right."

Member Awards ()

#19 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

My only mention of a specific religion was Valhalla. I was simply referring to the concept of an afterlife. Almost all religions believe in that. So, which one someone follows/ practices/ identifies with is personal choice. Look at the major tenets, rules, dogma, teachings, and rituals and figure out which one works best for you. In my mind, all religions are right. And all are wrong. They share so much in common- those are the important parts. But when one religion states that they are the "one true" religion, that's where problems start.

Edited by CeltSoldierKev, 03 October 2014 - 08:36 AM.

Member Awards ()

#20 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

I don't think you can do the just in case type of deal for any religion to be honest. I mean, it's as said, the matter whether another was right, but then, there's the sense that, well, for example in Christianity one doesn't simply believe in God and gets into Heaven. 

You have to live it and actually be sincere, not just to get out of being damned. Else it's just carnal. Funny though, majority of religious people today are carnal in their beliefs, they're just scared of damnation that much, but they're basically damned anyway. lol

Edited by PrinceVegeta, 03 October 2014 - 11:53 AM.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users