• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Ruler Name:Learz
  • Nation Name:Eridani Empire
  • IRC Nick:Learz
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Discuss it here.

Keep the other thread for news and updates.

Member Awards ()

#2 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'll say it again.  Tax Day.  Patriots Day.  Boston, the birthplace of the original Boston Tea Party.  Boston, the de facto capital of the American Left.  Boston, where gay marriage first became law.  I dunno, man.  This has right-wing crazies written all over it.

Member Awards ()

#3 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

You're about as left and conspiracy filled as my former high school bus driver who is super right and conspiracy filled. You two could make a good party.

Member Awards ()

#4 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Maybe you're right.  Maybe it will just turn out to be some lone nut whose motivations are unfathomable.  But I'll bet you it turns out that the bomber was motivated by some ideology, and I bet that ideology will prove to be conservative.

Member Awards ()

#5 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'll say it again.  Tax Day.  Patriots Day.  Boston, the birthplace of the original Boston Tea Party.  Boston, the de facto capital of the American Left.  Boston, where gay marriage first became law.  I dunno, man.  This has right-wing crazies written all over it.

This doesn't fit their MO.

When was the last right wing terrorists attack, exactly?

When there are some, it's like, abortion clinics and stuff.

Member Awards ()

#6 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

This doesn't fit their MO.

When there are some, it's like, abortion clinics and stuff.

This got me thinking. Maybe it was a terror attacks from fat 'muricans towards skinny sporting yanks?

Them with their evil sports and healthy foods evil I say evil

#7 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

July 27, 1996.

Remember the militia movement?  Ruby Ridge?  Waco?  Oklahoma City?  Those people haven't gone anywhere.  They've been quiet for a while, but things have been brewing.  Maybe they think the Turner Diaries are finally at hand.

Member Awards ()

#8 Imperial Sparta

Imperial Sparta

God of War

• President Emeritus
  • 910 posts
  • Ruler Name:Psych21
  • Nation Name:Imperial Sparta
  • IRC Nick:Imperial_Sparta
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

This is what I'll never understand. Terrorists pull this type of shit on not only the US, but other countries all the time, particularly other western countries. Point is, I don't see how they think they can destroy an entire nation by setting off a few bombs in a city. Same thing with 9/11. They did it with the intention to scare the rest of the nation, but in reality, all it ever did was unite them and piss them off in the process. Seems kind of counter-productive to try and instill fear in a nation and instead you make them more of a dangerous enemy.

Imperial Sparta

#9 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

This is what I'll never understand. Terrorists pull this type of shit on not only the US, but other countries all the time, particularly other western countries. Point is, I don't see how they think they can destroy an entire nation by setting off a few bombs in a city. Same thing with 9/11. They did it with the intention to scare the rest of the nation, but in reality, all it ever did was unite them and piss them off in the process. Seems kind of counter-productive to try and instill fear in a nation and instead you make them more of a dangerous enemy.

Imperial Sparta

It's becuase they're stupid.

I've been saying this for years.

Member Awards ()

#10 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

July 27, 1996.

Remember the militia movement?  Ruby Ridge?  Waco?  Oklahoma City?  Those people haven't gone anywhere.  They've been quiet for a while, but things have been brewing.  Maybe they think the Turner Diaries are finally at hand.

They have in fact, they went to jail.

And they were more libertarian than anything.

Member Awards ()

#11 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Imperial Sparta

Terrorism is not about destruction, it's about scaring you, terrorizing you, so that you'd fold your position and back down.

#12 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ellis
  • Nation Name:Straccia
  • IRC Nick:Ellis
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Imperial Sparta

Terrorism is not about destruction, it's about scaring you, terrorizing you, so that you'd fold your position and back down.

Terrorism is asymmetrical war, when for whatever reason a (comparatively) small group is fundamentally opposed to the actions or existence of a nation-state, terrorism is their only way to attack.

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with you, it's also what you said, too.

Member Awards ()

#13 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Terrorism destabilizes a society.  If there's a chance you're going to get blown up every tome you go to the mall, a lot of economic activity will come to a stop.  The cost of additional security imposes greater financial burdens.  And civil liberties are slowly whittled away.  All of these goals could easily be furthered by this attack, no matter who is behind it.  It all depends on how we respond.

Member Awards ()

#14 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Imperial Sparta

Terrorism is asymmetrical war, when for whatever reason a (comparatively) small group is fundamentally opposed to the actions or existence of a nation-state, terrorism is their only way to attack.

Yes, but asymmetrical war is so much more than just terrorism. 

#15 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Not everyone sympathetic to such views went to jail.  But that's interesting.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some of the lower-level guys in that world who went to jail are probably getting out about now.

Member Awards ()

#16 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Not everyone sympathetic to such views went to jail.  But that's interesting.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some of the lower-level guys in that world who went to jail are probably getting out about now.

Lower level what? who?

#17 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ellis
  • Nation Name:Straccia
  • IRC Nick:Ellis
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Imperial Sparta

Yes, but asymmetrical war is so much more than just terrorism. 

Oh, yeah, definitely, I meant that terrorism was just one form of asymmetrical warfare, not the whole of it.

Member Awards ()

#18 lissa

lissa
  • Invicta: Knight
  • 175 posts
  • Ruler Name:Fantasia
  • Nation Name:Fantasia
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Too many haters in this world

Member Awards ()

#19 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Ruler Name:Learz
  • Nation Name:Eridani Empire
  • IRC Nick:Learz
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

April 15th is a coincidence.

This being Tax day, Boston, whatever, is irrelevant.

The reason today was picked was due to the marathon. It was the crowds. Bombs need to be set off in a crowd of people for maximum effect.

Boston is also a coincidence. It's a major city. The group that set this up is America based, east cost. I'd bet they are located somewhere between New England and Virginia. They picked Boston as it was close (they needed to drive, can't fly with a bomb). They picked today due to the large crowds.

There's also much less security at a marathon, compared to parades, speakers, etc.

Best potential, least risk. Coordinated attacks. No statements or demands. Note that these weren't fertilizer bombs, these were actual bombs. Smart, trained people pulled this off. This is professional.

That being said, it probably is a right wing group. Tax day just happened to line up with it, which is a bonus. But yeah, the level of professionalism here implies an ex-military group of at least 2 people. Right wing militias would fit this description.

The bombs were planted several hours earlier, the agents then left the scene. They were probably all home when they went off.

They aren't going to have contact with each other for at least 6 months after this. They probably haven't had contact with each other for at least 6 months before this. This was planned at least a year in advance (I would assume). Given their level of proficiency and planning, it could have been planned much faster.

If I was a betting man, I would say a right wing group pissed at Obama's reelection. Just my opinion.

Member Awards ()

#20 King Hobbs

King Hobbs

5th Member of Invicta

• Peer
  • 1215 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Hobbs
  • Nation Name:Pflugerville
  • IRC Nick:KingHobbs
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Terrorism destabilizes a society.  If there's a chance you're going to get blown up every tome you go to the mall, a lot of economic activity will come to a stop.  The cost of additional security imposes greater financial burdens.  And civil liberties are slowly whittled away.  All of these goals could easily be furthered by this attack, no matter who is behind it.  It all depends on how we respond.

This. Just look at how much the stock market drops anytime something happens. It bounces back but the economic impact of these attacks can be quite large. I don't remember the name but I think there is a movie with John Travolta who initiates a terrorist attack on a train to profit from the stock market crash. Something like that

Edit: The Taking of Pelham 123

Also, they chose the marathon because its a very public event. Lots of people, and LOTS of cameras and media already there. The idea for a terrorist attack is to make it seen and known. Great way to do it and the risk of doing it at this kind of event is probably lower than others

Edited by King Hobbs, 15 April 2013 - 07:09 PM.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users