• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:42 AM

Oh cool. Well in that case disregard my view.

#62 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

I do not believe that humanity is in more hot water now than it has been at any time in the past.

I cannot agree with this strongly enough. For all the naysaying and running around like Chicken Little declaring that the sky is falling, the reality is that we as a species have never had it so good. Are things perfect? No, of course not. Far from it. But there are more people living longer, happier, and healthier lives than at any time before in the history of this planet. We focus way too much on the negative (and by "we": I mean Homo sapiens in general, not just us here on these forums!). Guess what? Every generation thinks the world has gone to shit, that things used to be better, that kids these days have no respect, etc., etc. It wasn't true then and it's not true now.

Member Awards ()

#63 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

Every generation thinks the world has gone to shit, that things used to be better, that kids these days have no respect, etc., etc. It wasn't true then and it's not true now.

But when I was their age, we adhered to social rules based on the specific context of the times! Clearly these kids should adhere to all the same rules regardless of any social or technological changes. Why, I called someone's cellular phone the other day and they didn't even tell me who I was speaking to! Can you believe such a callous lack of courtesy?

#64 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Do you have something better than "if it works" for me? I'm afraid that's not a very convincing argument.

I see a very clear dichotomy. In futures where the current people remain ill educated, ill informed, and apathetic, mankind dies. I would like to get back to the niceties of a democracy. This is the only way I see that both can possibly occur.

It's not that it's foolproof, or watertight, it's that no better idea exists.

WEll, in our current state, science and society continues to advance; we've made great strides all around the world in just the last 100 years alone, and things are growing exponentially. 

In another 100 years, imagine what life will be like. It can be fairly incredible even given it's current point. 

Member Awards ()

#65 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

I expect that in 100-150 years, we won't have western nations, seawater deoxygenation and global warming will see to that.

I'm not afraid of human society, that's been fine forever, and given an infinitely supporting earth, we'd be ok forever and I would not have a problem. What I'm afraid about is that if we don't do something now, we'll be in a lot of trouble come 2200.

#66 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

I expect that in 100-150 years, we won't have western nations, seawater deoxygenation and global warming will see to that.

I'm not afraid of human society, that's been fine forever, and given an infinitely supporting earth, we'd be ok forever and I would not have a problem. What I'm afraid about is that if we don't do something now, we'll be in a lot of trouble come 2200.

Seawater deoxygentation? I'll bite, what do you think will cause that? Algae dying off?

As for global warming, it's not really possible. They say in 200 years at our current  rate of consumption, carbon dioxide might result in the earth increasing up to 2.5 degrees Celsius, which after that might start causing problems, but... 

We don't have 50 more years worth of fossil fuels at our current rate of consumption, let alone for the next 200 years. And by then our population will be so large and presumably industrialized that consumption will have increased exponentially with that. We'd need 10+ times as many fossil fuels than exist to get to that point. So, regardless of whether or not carbon dioxide's impact is negligible or not, the reality is, we're never going to get to that point. 

I'm more worried about energy replacement than anything. 

Member Awards ()

#67 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:16 AM

I trust NASA's predictions.

#68 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

I trust NASA's predictions.

NASA's satellites contradict a lot about the current global warming craze, but, I was hoping you'd have evidence or an explanation or something. 

Member Awards ()

#69 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

Once I would have said that 100-150 years is not enough time to witness the end of nation-states as we know them. But now I know that history can move fast, and dramatic change often comes in short bursts. As I have said many times on these forums and elsewhere, I think we are on the verge of tremendous change. Cultural, political, economic, and scientific trends are going to come together to create... Well, I don't know exactly. But I think it will ultimately be for the good. I think we will see amazing things.

Member Awards ()

#70 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:44 AM

I think that our current civilisation is rapidly driving itself toward a cliff edge. Humanity will survive, but our society won't. Many, many people will die.

http://globalwarming...obalwarming.htm

#71 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:57 AM

I mean, I will say, that article is a tad extreme, but the idea of continent wide famines, increasingly deadly heatwaves, and wars triggered by the inability of nations to provide food to their citizens will be on the table.

In other words, the introduction to Civ BE.

Edited by Redezra, 03 November 2014 - 01:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users