Photo

Of Fractions and Fours

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you call fractions with a denominator of four? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Is ¾…

1. …three quarters? (11 votes [73.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

2. …three fourths? (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. …other (elaborate) (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

Growing up in Canada, everyone in my life referred to fractions with a denominator of 4 as, 'Quarters.' A recipe would call for a quarter cup of milk. 15 minutes was a quarter hour. I'd be three-quarters done my homework, or three-quarters of the way to my destination.

On the other hand, once my primary schooling reached the point of teaching us fractions, this usage was censured, and we were strongly encouraged to use the phrase, 'Fourths.' One-fourth and three-fourths. I imagine this is somehow tied to the tyranny of the Metric system which they tried to shove down our throats like a dirty priest's cock, but honestly, I can't be sure. It's always seemed like a foreign usage to me.

Perhaps the reason it seems foreign is that in common parlance, the word, 'Quarter,' has currency to refer to things divided four ways beyond literal fractions. Land parcels are divided into quarter sections, each ¼ sq mile. Businesses report earnings in fiscal quarters of three months each. And, perhaps most notably in daily life, there are four quarters—25¢ coins—to a dollar. Does the usage of, 'Fourths,' seem foreign to me not because of its relation to Metric, but because the more common, 'Quarter,' is simply used much more here and in the US than it is elsewhere in the world? Do Brits and Australians with their 20p and 20c coins use, 'Quarter?' I don't know!

So, poll time! Do you call them quarters? fourths? something else I've never heard of?

Member Awards ()

#2 Scipio Africanus

Scipio Africanus
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 317 posts
  • Ruler Name:Hi,
  • Nation Name:how
  • IRC Nick:are
  • Alliance Name:you?
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

Quarters is what I predominantly use but I've probably called them fourths as well. 

#3 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

Only because you have it in fraction form am I throwing my hat in with fourths.

I don't say it's a fourth till four. It's a quarter 'till four. But if I need a forth of a cup of oil for cake, then yea.

Depends on context. I suppose. I flipflop.

Member Awards ()

#4 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

I do both, usually. xP

Member Awards ()

#5 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:15 AM

Either is correct and I use either (or sometimes I just use percentages). Between this and the winking poll, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

It has nothing to do with the metric system. How do you read 1/11?

(Unlike the winking poll, this one was just barely above the threshold of being something I could be bothered to respond to. :v)

#6 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

I try to avoid all things fractions. And with time I don't use that quarter to nine or half past ten bullshit, I just say whatever time it is.Call me "barbaric"

Member Awards ()

#7 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

First November. :mellow:

Member Awards ()

#8 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

<numerator> on <denominator>

so in this case "Three on four"

Or in Shokkou's, "One on eleven"

#9 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

First November. :mellow:

I know you know what I meant, so I will take this to mean I am right and you are trying to avoid proving my point. :v

<numerator> on <denominator>

so in this case "Three on four"

Or in Shokkou's, "One on eleven"

Interesting. That's a new one for me.

#10 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:52 PM

I know you know what I meant, so I will take this to mean I am right and you are trying to avoid proving my point. :v

Well I obviously know you meant, 'How do you read the fraction?' but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I read it as, 'One-eleventh.' But that's not a reason to read ¼ as anything in particular, in my view. I don't read ½ as, 'One-twoth,' after all. :P

Member Awards ()

#11 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

Well I obviously know you meant, 'How do you read the fraction?' but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I read it as, 'One-eleventh.' But that's not a reason to read ¼ as anything in particular, in my view. I don't read ½ as, 'One-twoth,' after all. :P

Any reason to read anything in any way is an invented construct which only holds so long as society at large continues to agree on doing so. :v

#12 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

Any reason to read anything in any way is an invented construct which only holds so long as society at large continues to agree on doing so. :v

You sound like Tumblr.

Member Awards ()

#13 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:10 PM

You sound like Tumblr.

I called no one a shitlord, nor did I tell you to check your privilege or accuse you of oppression. Your argument is invalid. :v

(In any case, there is precedent for certain numbers to have different nomenclature in different contexts. You don't say you got oneth, twoth, or threeth place but fourth and fifth place are standard.)

#14 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:11 PM

You sound like Tumblr.

I called no one a shitlord, nor did I tell you to check your privilege or accuse you of oppression. Your argument is invalid. :v

(In any case, there is precedent for certain numbers to have different nomenclature in different contexts. You don't say you got oneth, twoth, or threeth place but fourth and fifth place are standard.)

And so are half, third, and quarter. :P

Member Awards ()

#15 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

You sound like Tumblr.

And so is fourth. Lucky number four, that it gets to have two different ways of referring to itself as a fraction of a whole. :v

#16 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

You sound like Tumblr.

And so is fourth. Lucky number four, that it gets to have two different ways of referring to itself as a fraction of a whole. :v

So lucky. It's like it has two dicks in its mouth at once.

Member Awards ()

#17 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

You sound like Tumblr.

So lucky. It's like it has two dicks in its mouth at once.

That sounds uncomfortable and inefficient. Diminishing returns and all that.

#18 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:31 AM

.... how did you get to dicks from that? 

#19 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

I think I say "three quarters" more than "three fourths," but I alternate. New Englanders tend to say "quarters."

Member Awards ()

#20 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

I think I say "three quarters" more than "three fourths," but I alternate. New Englanders tend to say "qWaters."

FTFY

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users