• Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Easy googling gave me my last posts content

http://www.usadojo.c...nife-vs-gun.htm

Also lol at knife training. That seriously got me laughing. "knife training" is something we refereed to as going to prison aka going to "school". Those boys cut you before you understand they have a knife.  

#22 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

I didn't start this thread to debate the wisdom of gun control.  I believe gun control is coming, like it or not.  It will vary from state to state, but at the most basic level there will be universal background checks and the gun-show loophole will be closed.  In more gun-friendly states there won't be much more than that; people in Texas and Idaho have nothing to worry about.  States like California, New York, and my own Massachusetts, on the other hand, will ban assault weapons and high-capacity cartridges, and likely impose all sorts of restrictions on carrying firearms in public.

But again, I do not believe private ownership of firearms will ever be banned.  Indeed, it cannot be.  The Supreme Court has made recent rulings upholding the right to bear arms in the home; it would take an act of God to change that.  But if they uphold states' rights to restrict and regulate firearms in public, you will see exactly what you'd expect: blue states will adopt tighter gun laws, red states will not.

Member Awards ()

#23 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Easy googling gave me my last posts content

http://www.usadojo.c...nife-vs-gun.htm

Also lol at knife training. That seriously got me laughing. "knife training" is something we refereed to as going to prison aka going to "school". Those boys cut you before you understand they have a knife.  

A famous quote from an inmate I know is "The first mistake was choosing to fight me. The second mistakes was pulling a knife on me. The third mistake was not knowing how to use it."

Also Adam is bad with guns and kind of slow and stupid (he stuck his mouth in a fucking vacuum cleaner lol), while a guy like jamie would probably be pretty good.

I'm sorry to say but most ninjas couldn't fight people with guns. O_o

Let alone your average person.

Edited by Manoka, 14 April 2013 - 07:58 PM.

Member Awards ()

#24 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

In Texas to get a gun at a gunshow just recently I had to give my personal information and it took like 30 minutes (which was freaking annoying cause it was so friggin packed there, and there was hardly anywhere to stand still for 30 minutes, so I moved around a lot) and do a background check. Almost all gunshows you do.

I know of a few situations where people have done otherwise and I know that most gunshows have started having cops who sell their weapons (most cops buy civilian weapons, so you can buy their used guns) at gunshows to make it easier to catch illegal dealers; a lot of them invite police there, but that would basically be like free bodyguards, which the police can't always do. Most gun dealers don't want guns disappearing from their record without a trace, let alone contribute to the crime epidemic.

So that's not so much of a problem.

Maybe we reduce a small amount with gun shows, sounds cool.

I guess I'm worried about people in New York and stuff.

I only hope it will work out for them and crime will decrease for banning "dangerous" weapons with adjustable stocks reasonable grips, weapons with over 10 rounds (used in the minority of crimes), and anything that looks scary and is therefore considered a "tactical" weapon, and 40 oz sodas.

I really do.

I wished something worked, but the sad reality is that society as a whole will have to progress before crime starts going down, and even then it's not guaranteed. The greediest people in the world are billionaires. I have a feeling that even if we eliminated poverty and social problems we wouldn't eliminate crime. Coming from a good rich background only seems to enable a lot of these people.

Edited by Manoka, 14 April 2013 - 08:00 PM.

Member Awards ()

#25 Arikus

Arikus

xR1's Sex Slave

• Internal Affairs: Recruiter
  • 422 posts
  • Ruler Name:Arikus
  • Nation Name:Arikaan
  • IRC Nick:Arikus
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

What do you guys even do to know so much about guns >.>

Member Awards ()

#26 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

I used to be in the army (conscript and then worked); Manoka seems to be from Texas. 

#27 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

You can use wikipedia n stuff, it's chocked full of info.

I reccomend knowing the basics and then going into it. xD

Physics is also good to keap in mind; E= 1/2(mass)(velocity)^2, thus you can calculate energysz, momentum etc. of bullets, which is important.

Member Awards ()

#28 Arikus

Arikus

xR1's Sex Slave

• Internal Affairs: Recruiter
  • 422 posts
  • Ruler Name:Arikus
  • Nation Name:Arikaan
  • IRC Nick:Arikus
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

I know, you guys just seemed to be pretty knowledgable on the subject so i was curious.

Member Awards ()

#29 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Eh, if people were just generally satisfied with how life was going then they wouldn't need to resort to crime, or even do stupid stuff. Guns could be around and no one would have the need to kill anyone. Crime arises from either mental problems or just discontent.

Make people happy. ;-;

Member Awards ()

#30 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Arikus, we're all pretty well-read, intelligent people.  In other words, we sound a lot smarter than we really are.  :)

Member Awards ()

#31 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Eh, if people were just generally satisfied with how life was going then they wouldn't need to resort to crime, or even do stupid stuff. Guns could be around and no one would have the need to kill anyone. Crime arises from either mental problems or just discontent.

Make people happy. ;-;

Like all the rich billionare who don't commit crimes.

They're perfectly content.

Member Awards ()

#32 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Arikus, we're all pretty well-read, intelligent people.  In other words, we sound a lot smarter than we really are.  :)

I was smart once.

But then I took an arrow to the... temple. o_o

Member Awards ()

#33 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

If science could find a way to harness the power of my brain, they could toast bread.  Lightly.

Member Awards ()

#34 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

You should get a doctor to check that out. O_O;!

Member Awards ()

#35 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ellis
  • Nation Name:Straccia
  • IRC Nick:Ellis
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

They'll find another way, and in the mean time we'll be left without the capacity to defend ourselves from ever more powerful criminal organizations. The cartels aren't going away any time soon; and if they did, the Russian Mafia or some other group would come in.

And they have access to military weapons from the cold war in Russia, from the fall out of country's, that they make in illegal arms manufacturing plants. You do more bad than good.

... The Russians are coming? Also, you, no matter how guns you have, will not stop organised crime, only organised law enforcement can do that.

Member Awards ()

#36 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

They'll find another way, and in the mean time we'll be left without the capacity to defend ourselves from ever more powerful criminal organizations. The cartels aren't going away any time soon; and if they did, the Russian Mafia or some other group would come in.

And they have access to military weapons from the cold war in Russia, from the fall out of country's, that they make in illegal arms manufacturing plants. You do more bad than good.

... The Russians are coming? Also, you, no matter how guns you have, will not stop organised crime, only organised law enforcement can do that.

Well I'll be damned.

Edited by Manoka, 15 April 2013 - 05:28 AM.

Member Awards ()

#37 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

We can ban guns and all we'd be doing is banning it from civilian hands.

That itself can become a problem.

No, this is not true.

In countries which have gun control, like mine, some criminals do have guns. (Mostly they're imported from your country, but I digress.) They have to hide them. They can't just walk around with their guns and blend in on the street. So normally they go out unarmed.

Were your country to enact a strict gun control ban, not only would you be removing the single biggest source of illegal handguns in the world, which is guns stolen from law-abiding American houses, you would immediately see the benefit of forcing criminals to engage in criminal activity in secret, instead of the current status quo where drug dealers can just drive around being fully armed.

Member Awards ()

#38 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ellis
  • Nation Name:Straccia
  • IRC Nick:Ellis
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

No, this is not true.

In countries which have gun control, like mine, some criminals do have guns. (Mostly they're imported from your country, but I digress.) They have to hide them. They can't just walk around with their guns and blend in on the street. So normally they go out unarmed.

Were your country to enact a strict gun control ban, not only would you be removing the single biggest source of illegal handguns in the world, which is guns stolen from law-abiding American houses, you would immediately see the benefit of forcing criminals to engage in criminal activity in secret, instead of the current status quo where drug dealers can just drive around being fully armed.

Oh, very much this.

Member Awards ()

#39 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

No, this is not true.

Um... where did you get that the vest majority of hand guns in the world are stolen from American homes?

Also most states require concealed carry, and then concealed carry licenses, except under certain conditions.

Edited by Manoka, 15 April 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Member Awards ()

#40 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

That's not what he said.  He said the United States is the biggest source of illegal handguns in the world.  I don't know if statistics are kept on that particular figure.  It seems like it would be but a quick search could not find any.  But here's what Amnesty International has to say:

The United States is by far the world’s largest arms trader, accounting for around 30 per cent of conventional arms transfers in terms of value. Its position on the ATT is therefore key.

Countries supplied
The USA supplies arms to more than 170 countries and has a mixed record of suspending arms supplies on human rights grounds. For example, it has restricted arms transfers to Myanmar, China, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in addition to countries subject to UN arms embargoes. However, it has supplied arms to other countries, for example Sri Lanka, Bahrain, Egypt and Yemen, where there is a substantial risk that they could be used to commit of facilitate serious human rights violations.

Irresponsible transfers
As the main arms supplier to Egypt, the US authorized the sale of small arms, millions of rounds of ammunition and chemical agents for riot control, despite the security forces’ violent crackdown on protesters. Yemen was also supplied with small arms, chemical agents and armoured vehicles, and Bahrain with small arms. It provides Colombia’s security forces with arms, military aid and training, despite their persistent violations of human rights.

Stance on the ATT
Since October 2009, when the Obama administration reversed previous opposition to an ATT, US support has been crucial in getting to the current negotiation stage. The US has said it wants the treaty to raise the international standard for export control of armaments as close as possible to that of the US. However, the US position is weaker on human rights protection in the treaty than many of its allies. For example, US officials have not wanted to include obligations on states to prohibit transfers of arms even where there is credible evidence of their potential use for serious violations of human rights. US officials have also argued against including ammunition under the scope of the treaty, claiming it is too sensitive and would pose technical problems of implementation. Overall, US officials would prefer a short loose document that spells out general principles to “take into account” rather than strong binding measures.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users