Photo

So Who's Seen Star Wars VII? (Warning, potential spoilerz)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

No seriously, cause I want to know who I can geek out with. Also who I can post the Emo Kylo Ren twitter account at.

#2 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

Han Solo is killed by Kylo Ren, who is his son. Also, the movie is more or less a point-for-point retread of A New Hope made to cash in on hype and nostalgia.

UkdSNCR.jpg

#3 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

Still better than the prequels. Muuuuuch better than the prequels.

And if I'm honest, it was a fantastically well made film.

Still, if you've seen it, take a loooook at thiiiis: https://twitter.com/KyloR3n

Edited by Redezra, 22 December 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#4 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:06 PM

That's like dropping the bar down into the Challenger Deep, Redezra.

In any case, Va-JJ Abrams and his Disney overlords won't be getting their hands on my shekels.

lel that account though

#5 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

No, really, it's actually good. God Santa only knows how.

#6 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

Saw it.

Twas good.

Member Awards ()

#7 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:06 AM

worst star wars film ever made. before anyone gets pissy lets think about what we saw.

an orphan living on a desert planet, like we havent seen that before
a droid with a very important mission dealing with plans or a map, like we havent seen that before
a lightsaber stuck in snow only to be force commanded to the hand by a hero to attempt to save their own skin, like we havent seen that before
discount tattooine 
discount hoth
discount endor/dagobah/naboo
discount vader
dicount palpatine
discount admiral tarkin
discount boba fett
discount luke
discount yoda
discount love story
discount this.....

the main character witnesses the death of a mentor about 2-3 days after she met him
discount death star rescue
death star......starkiller base...... we have the bad guy base named with the word "star" and a connotation for death in its name. jj abrams must have read the pirates of the carribean's pirate's manual for naming things(i did think the weapon was cool. even if it blew up every planet in the vicinity of the heroes except the planet the heroes are on because.....plot)
han to the little discount yoda referring to lukes light saber: "where did you get that?" she replies "thats a story for another time" really im pretty sure its more interesting than what im watching right now.
"there has been an awakening, have you felt it?" roll credits please
no one lost an arm, but c-3po lost an arm off-screen apparently before the movie began. that i wouldve liked to see
On his days off c-3po helps arthur ford and zaphod find the answer to the ultimate question.....were doomed
over a period of damn near 90 years, chewy hasnt aged a day
apparently the midochlorians were nixed and its just some energy field again
stormtroopers still cant find the droid theyre looking for, or shoot....did you see how long it took them to kill that small group of civilians?

the millenium falcon was called garbage
james bond was tricked into letting the prisoner escape by someone who barely even realized shes force sensitive...yes that was daniel craig
mark hamills "dammit, i really dont want to do this face"
once they have the map completed they send rey....why? im sure theres someone else whos prescence would have been far more convincing to luke...you know to tell him without words "we need you"
sith temper tantrums
no jar jar death scene/expanation
where's lando? is he not even worth a mention?

and lots more wrong with the film

the only things i liked:
the scene where we first encounter han and chewy and it turned to a really creepy alien/predator-esque monster chase.
the weapon on starkiller base
the effects

i mean i felt like i was watching a condensed version of the original trilogy

#8 Killman4

Killman4

Formerly known as Junior Senior Gov

• Peer
  • 1433 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:killman4
  • Nation Name:Suomessa on vahva
  • IRC Nick:killlman4
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

Just saw it last night, personally I didn't think it was that good. Tried too hard to mirror OT instead of trying to be its own movie

Member Awards ()

#9 vanoeffelen

vanoeffelen
  • Former Member
  • 77 posts
  • Ruler Name:vanoeffelen
  • Nation Name:Dutch Empire
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

Okay, hate me all you want, but I actually that it was not that bad. Yes it has several flaws but I think that the good outweighed the bad. I would give it a 7.8 / 10.

Now I liked this movie because it gave the older generation of people who saw the OT in theaters that nostalgic feeling of seeing them one final time. However, it still had a slightly new story that JJ Abrams can do something with for Episode VIII and IX.

HordeLorde:

In regards to some of the things you said, I have this to say:

"death star......starkiller base...... we have the bad guy base named with the word "star" and a connotation for death in its name. jj abrams must have read the pirates of the carribean's pirate's manual for naming things(i did think the weapon was cool. even if it blew up every planet in the vicinity of the heroes except the planet the heroes are on because.....plot)"

The name of Starkiller base is named after the last name that George Lucas originally wanted to give Luke Skywalker. It is an easter egg, if you will.

"the millenium falcon was called garbage"

It was called garbage the first time it ever appeared in the original movie. Honestly, without any of the modifications that Han and Chewie made, it really would be garbage. YT-1300 freighters are really old and outdated ships. They are hundreds of years older then when The phantom menace takes place. But you cannot tell that modifications were made to the ship unless you fly it.

"apparently the midochlorians were nixed and its just some energy field again"

Midochlorians are a prequel thing. After Order 66, that information most likely was lost. Unless Kylo Ren, Snoke or Luke found some holocrons, it makes sense that that was disregarded.

"over a period of damn near 90 years, chewy hasnt aged a day"

Wookies actually live to be several hundred years old. Chewbacca was nearly a hundred years old when he met Han Solo.

#10 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

"the millenium falcon was called garbage"

It was called garbage the first time it ever appeared in the original movie.

That was actually the point Horde was making there, if I'm not mistaken. The movie heavily borrows from A New Hope to the point of being derivative.

#11 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:37 PM

I'm waiting for the crowds to die down so I can go see it, later.

Member Awards ()

#12 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

From what I've heard, a Christian Darth Vader (with his brand new red cross sword) gets beaten twice, first by a black man who knows nothing about a Jedi duel, then by a woman whose Force has suddenly awakened. The message being that in the end the woman is better than both the bad red cross activist and the good black man. Which is Hollywood's way of paving our way into matriarchy, while making sure to keep breaking one box office record after another.

The Force may have awakened, but the film is long dead.

#13 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

Wow you guys suck don't you?

You win the award for being the first people I've talked to that have actually called the movie bad. Kinda impressive, well done.

And now for a rebuttal.

Ignoring all of the in universe stuff, which is cool and all, that fills in all the derivative crap, I'd like to address your "nurr it's repeating the OT again"

Star Wars is never, and has never been original. Ever. It's not supposed to be, and it's never supposed to be. It's not an art film, it doesn't require a sophisticated pallet, it's about good guys and badguys and space wizards and action. The story is melodramatic to a fault, and it's predictable, reused stuff from every other film you can imagine. Episode IV wasn't original either, it was heavily influenced by Hidden Fortress. The only thing that could be reasonably original was Episode V, because nobody had done a middle-of-the-series film before and expected it to just work.

Star Wars is not a sophisticated series. It is a bowl of ice cream with M&Ms and Flake and Kit Kat chopped up and mixed about. It's the same flavour every time, and it's not even that cleverly made, but it tastes good and makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Star Wars should not be rated on originality, or cleverness, realism, and so on. It should be rated as the throwback melodrama that it is, which it wrecks at.

In short: Brains off guys, it's fun time.

That point made, can I please have the Star Wars fans, so that we can talk about the cool plot stuff. Like ermagerd Kylo Ren for hottest darkside guy ever? I fucking loved Darth Caedus, and now they've made him a real thing! :D

Edited by Redezra, 23 December 2015 - 09:34 PM.

#14 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

I watched it at a 12:30pm showing with about 20 others. lol

The movie was entertaining. Ill prolly go again to see it in 3D.

I probably would have walked out if Kylo did in deed leave the Dark SIde and not kill his father lol

Member Awards ()

#15 vanoeffelen

vanoeffelen
  • Former Member
  • 77 posts
  • Ruler Name:vanoeffelen
  • Nation Name:Dutch Empire
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:20 PM

I watched it at a 12:30pm showing with about 20 others. lol

The movie was entertaining. Ill prolly go again to see it in 3D.

I probably would have walked out if Kylo did in deed leave the Dark SIde and not kill his father lol

Same!!! That part was necessary.

#16 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:04 AM

I'm torn since there were parts I really liked and parts that felt forced and corny. Kylo Ren seemed like a huge dweeb and although his force abilities were OP he was such a sissy and blew at swordfighting. Rey was awesome though but I didn't like how she could just use the force without being taught since that seemed a little strange. Finn needed to die, he was obviously a comic relief-esque character but his uselessness pissed me off. Overall I liked it but it lacked a certain seriousness which I expected from it.

Also Rey reminded me of Obi Wan more than Luke.

Redezra makes an interesting point about how it is not supposed to be original and it makes sense. JJ Abrams knows what he is doing and everything was done for a purpose. However it would be interesting to see if the formula is changed up a bit for the upcoming movies. If Episode 9 ends with another Death star like weapon being blown up I will be disappointed. 

Member Awards ()

#17 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:14 AM

You win the award for being the first people I've talked to that have actually called the movie bad. Kinda impressive, well done.

And now for a rebuttal.

Ignoring all of the in universe stuff, which is cool and all, that fills in all the derivative crap, I'd like to address your "nurr it's repeating the OT again"

Star Wars is never, and has never been original. Ever. It's not supposed to be, and it's never supposed to be. It's not an art film, it doesn't require a sophisticated pallet, it's about good guys and badguys and space wizards and action. The story is melodramatic to a fault, and it's predictable, reused stuff from every other film you can imagine. Episode IV wasn't original either, it was heavily influenced by Hidden Fortress. The only thing that could be reasonably original was Episode V, because nobody had done a middle-of-the-series film before and expected it to just work.

Star Wars is not a sophisticated series. It is a bowl of ice cream with M&Ms and Flake and Kit Kat chopped up and mixed about. It's the same flavour every time, and it's not even that cleverly made, but it tastes good and makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Star Wars should not be rated on originality, or cleverness, realism, and so on. It should be rated as the throwback melodrama that it is, which it wrecks at.

That point made, can I please have the Star Wars fans, so that we can talk about the cool plot stuff. Like ermagerd Kylo Ren for hottest darkside guy ever? I fucking loved Darth Caedus, and now they've made him a real thing!  :D

Boo hoo. There's a difference between borrowing from other works and borrowing from what is ostensibly itself. The former can lead to new twists and interesting takes. The latter is just masturbation, plain and simple. It might feel good, but you're not creating anything new. You can try making excuses all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the original series and even the prequels were to some extent their own movies in the same sense that the original Indiana Jones movies were inspired by but not directly derivative of the sources from which they drew inspiration.

I find it amusing how you can talk the big talk, but prove time and again that you are far too easily swayed by your mindless brand loyalty.

You have Star Wars fans, just not all ones who are fans of this Star Wars. Deal with it and stuff your No True Scotsman up your ass where it belongs.

P.S. "omg Kylo Ren so hawt" is to Star Wars fandom as Big Bang Theory fans are to actual nerds, which is to say a trendy bastardization... much like the movie.

Edited by Shokkou, 24 December 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#18 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:57 AM

In other news the clone wars TV show is actually a good watch so far

Member Awards ()

#19 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:13 AM

i have the same problem with this movie that i did with jurrassic world. way to be nostalgic....

some good points were made about some of the things i said...well put.....

i do know about the star killer easter egg...but seriously its basically still named the death star....symantics exists ya know

i feel like if they tried alot harder this movie wouldve been at least ok..... but its like they only asked the question " how do we wanna bring back fond memories of the old movies during this film?" and the writer said "welll heres the plot" and they said back "no no screw the plot we want a jedi to force pull a lightsaber outta the snow!" i mean for real an x wing fighter even said "stay on target" are kidding me?

i streamed the damn thing illegally online and the quality was deent enough that i could both see and hear what was going on pretty well, on the other hand i wasnt blinded by special effects in to thinking it was a good film.....just wait til this thing hits dvd.....then after watching it afew times in a row, everyone will see why this movie sucks more than a gay mans vaccum in deep space

#20 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:21 AM

And now for a rebuttal.

That point made, can I please have the Star Wars fans, so that we can talk about the cool plot stuff. Like ermagerd Kylo Ren for hottest darkside guy ever? I fucking loved Darth Caedus, and now they've made him a real thing!  :D

ok ok so star wars isnt original..... heres my problem.... i didnt have fun. except during the monster chase....that was cool. all this film did was piss me off from one minute to the next. and then i realized i have at least 2 more shitty movies on the way. help me rogue squadron, youre my only hope

edit: basiclly this film was: the anticipation for episode one(and for me and apparently many others....the subsequent dissapointment, the pace of episode 2, the lack of detail in backstory  from episode 3(by this i mean things that appear or are said to have happened that wouldve been alot of fun to see...but we dont get to see it) , the basic plot of episode 4, what probably shouldve happened to han in episode 5(but thankfully didnt), and alot of missing information about what happend between episodes 6 & 7...... it makes that little voice in the back of your head go "wait....what the fuck went down in that 30 year span that lead to this? how and why? everything they do mention i wouldve rather seen on screen than what i actually saw. 

Edited by HordeLorde, 24 December 2015 - 03:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users