• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:56 AM

Since the end of WW2 American policy has always been to foment chaos around the world to prevent any regional powers from getting too big and powerful. That's nothing new.

As far as dividing the region up into more homogeneous ethno-religious units, I've been arguing for this since the first Iraq war in 2003.

Member Awards ()

#42 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

You two are giving the US far more credit than it deserves. I still feel that the second invasion of Iraq happened because George W. wanted to prove that he could do something his father couldn't, which was kill Saddam.

The new government in Canada is making noises that sound like we're supporting the Kurds. I would love to be a fly on the wall in a NATO discussion room right now.

Member Awards ()

#43 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

The West should be supporting the Kurds. They're the only ones in the region that could even loosely be described as "the goodguys."

Member Awards ()

#44 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

The West should be supporting the Kurds. They're the only ones in the region that could even loosely be described as "the goodguys."

True. Except for the PKK of course... But that's something that can be negotiated.

#45 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

The PKK is a complicated thing; honestly they remind me a lot of the IRA, which committed atrocities but did have some good people who were just desperate in their leadership.

I would take them over the likes of IS and the Taliban every single day of the week.

Member Awards ()

#46 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

I would take them over the likes of IS and the Taliban every single day of the week.

Turkey would rather commit genocide than accept them...too soon?

Member Awards ()

#47 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

Turkey is in for a hard dose of reality, I think. It is already becoming apparent that the Kurds are more valuable allies.

Member Awards ()

#48 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

Since the end of WW2 American policy has always been to foment chaos around the world to prevent any regional powers from getting too big and powerful. That's nothing new.

As far as dividing the region up into more homogeneous ethno-religious units, I've been arguing for this since the first Iraq war in 2003.

That sounds kind of insane.

Member Awards ()

#49 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

Turkey is in for a hard dose of reality, I think. It is already becoming apparent that the Kurds are more valuable allies.

With the recent flare in Kurdish terrorist attacks in Turkey, I don't think they give two shits.

Member Awards ()

#50 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

With the recent flare in Kurdish terrorist attacks in Turkey, I don't think they give two shits.

But that's what I mean. There could come a time when, if push came to shove, the West (read: the United States) chooses the Kurds over the Turks. If I were John Kerry I would order that every diplomatic email to Turkey include a link to Janet Jackson's "What Have You Done For Me Lately?"

Seriously, they're named after a bird. And a lame bird at that. If Turkey had wanted to be taken seriously as a country they should have called themselves Falcon. Now that's a name people can respect.

Member Awards ()

#51 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:11 PM

Turkey is a NATO member, and strategically a very important one. Unless the Black Sea moves, there is never going to be a day when the Kurds are more valuable than they are.

Still, I don't see the Syria situation getting resolved unless the Kurds can be brought on side. Which means the Americans are probably leaning on Turkey, because their generals can see the obvious.

Rebel, it's really obvious that the "terrorist" attacks in Turkey are mainly Kurdish self-defense. There's too much documented evidence: it's quite clear at this point that Turkey was hoping that IS would genocide the Kurds away for them.

Member Awards ()

#52 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:20 AM

Rebel, it's really obvious that the "terrorist" attacks in Turkey are mainly Kurdish self-defense. There's too much documented evidence: it's quite clear at this point that Turkey was hoping that IS would genocide the Kurds away for them.

I'm just using the definition of a terrorist most of the world uses. Where regardless of if its "self defence" it is irrelevant.
Kurdish terrorist are no different from Irish terrorists or Spanish terrorists or Muslim terrorists.

Member Awards ()

#53 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

You two are giving the US far more credit than it deserves. I still feel that the second invasion of Iraq happened because George W. wanted to prove that he could do something his father couldn't, which was kill Saddam.

One does not exclude the other. Politics is always a combination of strategic goals, tactical constraints, and random idiosyncrasies of the leaders. And war is just another facet of politics.

Never. America, with all its might, cannot afford to lose Turkey's support, it's a far too important ally in the global equation. What the US can do is convince the Turks to accept a Kurdish state at its border, maybe by offering them another kind of strategic advantage as a compensation (besides the guarantee of its own territorial integrity, which is already provided by the NATO treaty). That's not uncommon in international politics.

Why so? If you think that politics is a flower-power festival where people hang around having a good time, think again.

Kurdish terrorist are no different from Irish terrorists or Spanish terrorists or Muslim terrorists.

Oh, but they are different. By the generic definition of the term, you're of course right, but there are always nuances that make all the difference. There could never be imagined a negotiation with the ISIS, no matter what, which was not the case with e.g. the Irish.

#54 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:39 AM

Why so? If you think that politics is a flower-power festival where people hang around having a good time, think again.

More so the complete lack of evidence, complete lack of incentive, and the fact we haven't done so in many situations where we could have. 

Member Awards ()

#55 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

On a different note, and coming back to the tragedy in the "Colectiv" club in Bucharest. The heavy-metal band on the scene that night was launching a new album. Three members of the band are now gone, while the 4th is still fighting for his life. Here's the main piece of that album. Very symbolic...

#56 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

Oh, but they are different. By the generic definition of the term, you're of course right, but there are always nuances that make all the difference. There could never be imagined a negotiation with the ISIS, no matter what, which was not the case with e.g. the Irish.

To world governments the generic one is used :P

Member Awards ()

#57 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

Still, the nuances make all the difference. The political discourse is specialized and targeted to different segments of the public. For a politician, it's one thing to say what his voters want to hear, and quite another to send the right signals to the recipients that matter, when it comes to more sensitive issues. And you can't blame them for that, it's just the way it works, and has always worked, since the dawn of humanity. But I'm sure you already knew that. :)

Even the Turks have negotiated with PKK, and with good results, until the recent new burst of the crisis.

#58 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

Maybe it's time to start over from scratch. Everyone who wants a country has to submit an application — including a flag design that is not lame — to a Council of Learned Citizens that will be chaired by Cpl. Chaxflapps, or whatever he calls himself now.

Member Awards ()

#59 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

Then you would not have countries, but a collection of flags.

#60 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:16 PM

The Council will make a determination on who is worthy. For example, maybe Wallachia and Transylvania should be independent countries again. :)

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users