• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

It's a Playbuzz quiz, so take it with a grain of salt. But it's actually not bad, and probably more accurate than just asking someone if they're politically correct. People are not always good judges of their own behavior.

My results:

You're a little politically incorrect. We know, you're not racist and you actually do think some things are off limits. However, you think people are too sensitive and you're not on a PC crusade to censor everything that may be over the line. You're balanced and laid back, but sometimes you slip and just can't resist the inappropriate joke or phrase. You've probably offended more than one person in life, but you most likely don't care because you know when to stop. You're in right in the middle!

Member Awards ()

#2 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:52 AM

I got the same as Jor.

Test fails an essential point, though: at no point does it ask the question "Do you like South Park?" :D

Member Awards ()

#3 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:09 AM

You're Politically Incorrect!

Wow, you're totally politically incorrect! You don't understand why people seem to have so many feelings all of a sudden. You love a good joke, no matter at whose expense, and you're an equal opportunity offender. You don't take things too seriously, and you're likely to think that life is too short to get worked up over every joke that could possibly be interpreted as offensive. You think being PC has gotten out of control and that free speech is under attack. You've got thick skin and a mischievous streak, which are a dangerous combination because you don't always realize when you're offending people. We recommend some much needed sensitivity training! What do you think? Come on, tell us exactly what you think!

I had to adjust some things, but I was honest, and I'm glad one or two questions didn't lower my grade. I was actually giving this topic a bit of thought after I made a post in the other thread (since my post was a stupid post. I wanted to come back and bring up the difference between "politically correct" and sensitivity. As well I wanted to ask questions to gauge our actual opinions. Such as the Redskins logo. By the time I got back to the thread, there were a bunch of replies though, that I didn't care to read/wade through, so I never did. I was thinking someone would've called me out for that dead children quip. Which was childish/dumb of me to say, but I was trying to evoke a response with an exaggerated {wrong} statement. *shrugs*).

Point is, everyone is a big cunt. There I said it.

P.S. I love that I got the cool-kid answer to the quiz, but it's still so lame. "You don't care about offending people". While my honest opinion may be one thing, I don't pretend things, like that beer commerical are innocent and completely fine. I'm fine with it. It was fucking funny (more so than the jello commercial, which was just dumb), but I don't have that sort of addititude towards/about women, where I'd agree with the implications behind it. I totally get it. And I don't have an issue with the ad itself. But I also understand what it's trying to imply (women belong in the kitchen, etc).

It's dumb because it's more nuanced. Just because I don't believe nigger is racist (or rather, that it's the worst thing ever), doesn't mean I think it's okay in casual conversation, or isn't used with racist undertones/implies {is historically} very (very) racist. To the point of being disgusting, and casual in how it treats another group of people as unworthy. Why not talk about those damn gooks? Or big nosed kikes. Or, to expand it, and talk about some whities for a change, WOPs or Dago. (Not that Italians are really white. Heyo!) (The joke here, being, that if you're really 'politically incorrect' (read nazis) you wouldn't view them as white. But whatever, I digress).

I think a lot of issues are more complicated, and embedded into anyone's culture than we care to think about, admit, or talk about. And even if you grow up thinking something is innocent, doesn't mean it does not offend people. I don't think you should necessarily change anything to appease someone else, but taking steps to address core problems, and not offend others, I think is something we have to do (and that you should just do, if you're not a in-sensitive, inbred hick, who can't understand complicated ideas).

I'd go off with more examples, but it's all a people problem. It's happened for forever. It's not new. It's not whatever. Whites. Blacks. Poles. Kikes. Chinks. Faggots. Retards. etc.

Member Awards ()

#4 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

First of all, I want to make it clear that free speech is not threatened, whether we're PC or not. "Political correctness" is not a set of laws that dictate what you can and cannot say, it merely suggests that you shouldn't say certain things. Kind of like how your mother told you not to pick your nose in public — it's not illegal, it's just obnoxious.

That said, I think the biggest thing people miss with these kinds of discussions is the "meta" aspect of it. The ads in that quiz are funny not because we agree with them, but because we know they're stupid and outdated. When Daniel Tosh makes a black joke in front of a black audience it's not offensive. Why? Because it's being done ironically. He's making fun of the people who believe such nonsense, not espousing the belief himself. I think there are a lot of people don't get that irony.

Member Awards ()

#5 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

First of all, I want to make it clear that free speech is not threatened, whether we're PC or not. "Political correctness" is not a set of laws that dictate what you can and cannot say, it merely suggests that you shouldn't say certain things. Kind of like how your mother told you not to pick your nose in public — it's not illegal, it's just obnoxious.

That said, I think the biggest thing people miss with these kinds of discussions is the "meta" aspect of it. The ads in that quiz are funny not because we agree with them, but because we know they're stupid and outdated. When Daniel Tosh makes a black joke in front of a black audience it's not offensive. Why? Because it's being done ironically. He's making fun of the people who believe such nonsense, not espousing the belief himself. I think there's a lot of people don't get that irony.

I actually have to disagree. I believe free speech is threatened (and if it isn't, we should always be fighting to preserve, or expand it. Of course my opinion). I do not mean to say, that the random people on facebook saying Walmart distancing themselves from Redskins or blackface or anti-gays is "attacking free speech". That is free speech. In the same way Walmart doesn't sell giant dildos because they do not wish to offend, they may not sell {whatever the recent controversy}. That doesn't mean free speech is being attacked, but rather the bloc of people who agree with that position are big enough for Walmart to consider.

(Now, this goes along with the theory that businesses are entities {not people} that solely function to maximize profit, and minimize risk {to themselves}. If it's right or wrong, doesn't play into it so much as money. And image, public perception, etc, feed into that. The risk of backlash can be a big motivator.)

People (hicks) just get upset when they can't bully businesses into being good christian, faggot haters, and when they instead are dick loving hippies they get upset. Businesses are businesses. People project onto them. I digress.

I love your point about missing the "meta" discussion. If we can, I'd rather stray this conversation (and honestly most) that direction. Yes, the ads are funny. Not because I agree that women are made to cook, and I want my beer unburnt, but because it's funny. Why is it funny? Because of that model life (way of thinking) we know of (if we agree or not, in part or whole). The exaggeration is a part of it too. But it's not just funny because of "irony" (only). I do think things are funny because of irony, but there's more to it. Sometimes we do agree, even in a small way, with the things the images present. Mexicans are poor and hang sheets in their yard. ROFL. Are all mexicans dirty smelly poor white-trash bringing down my property values with their kids in my neighborhood? I don't need to answer that. Perhaps I do though.

I've done this plenty (and so far I've not gotten into too much trouble). But I'll say exaggerated things. Such as "girls are dumb" to invoke a response. Or to make people think. (Yes I will say it to girls. It can get dicey). I do not actually believe those things. Sometimes I'm being entirely ironic, because of whatever reason. Sometimes I'm exaggerating someone (a girl) being dumb. The point may be, I'm trying to contrast that something dumb a girl did is *not* because they are a girl. So if a women does something in the news, and someone says something causally to imply it's because they're a women, I then come out and explicity state what they were implying "all girls are dumb and stupid". Being confronted with an explicit statement like that makes people think. They may very well have said it innocently. I doubt they believe all women are dumb and worthless creatures, but they might still be okay with the idea that girls are generally dumber-not-smart-smart-fucktardsd compared to smart-smart-intelligent boys.

Member Awards ()

#6 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

I told you guys I considered myself politically incorrect

Wow, you're totally politically incorrect! You don't understand why people seem to have so many feelings all of a sudden. You love a good joke, no matter at whose expense, and you're an equal opportunity offender. You don't take things too seriously, and you're likely to think that life is too short to get worked up over every joke that could possibly be interpreted as offensive. You think being PC has gotten out of control and that free speech is under attack. You've got thick skin and a mischievous streak, which are a dangerous combination because you don't always realize when you're offending people. We recommend some much needed sensitivity training! What do you think? Come on, tell us exactly what you think!

Edited by slimshadyinc, 08 October 2015 - 12:41 PM.

Member Awards ()

#7 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

I want to out PC slimshady.

Member Awards ()

#8 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

First of all, I want to make it clear that free speech is not threatened, whether we're PC or not.

No, Jor. Political correctness does affect free speech, whether you like it or not. Specifically, it affects what can be broadcast on the air.

When I first started watching South Park, it was on Canadian television in the 90s, before political correctness took hold at the CRTC (the Canadian equivalent of the FCC). I watched it on Global Television, which is an over-the-air national broadcaster, roughly equivalent in popularity to ABC in the states.

Now South Park can't be shown except on cable. Like how it is in your country. It's just too politically incorrect.

The internet has helped alleviate this problem of course. But you only have to look at China for an example of how political correctness run rampant can even affect the internet.

It also affects life in more subtle ways. I'm fundamentally against the movement by certain religions to prohibit people who aren't followers of their religions from wearing their religious clothing. Still, music festivals continue to kowtow to political correctness. Imagine if a festival banned people from wearing red galeros; we're heading that way right now I think.

Member Awards ()

#9 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

You're not politically incorrect! You get it. Racism and sexism are outdated, uncalled for and not funny. You love a good laugh, but you know that there's actually nothing funny about offensive tropes that dehumanize women and people of color. You're the last one to culturally appropriate something, and you can't stand it when people do. You're still wondering why white people in America think its OK to dress up like Native Americans. You're sensitive, intelligent and progressive. What's not to love?! Well, sometimes you may come across as a party pooper. Try to pick your battles, not EVERYTHING is offensive. What do you think?

#10 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

I blame it on America thinking its the center of the world and my going what the fuck is this shit.

#11 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

If its done in a comedic and tasteful way I think anything can be funny. I think making fun of anybody is perfectly okay. As long as it isn't intended to be offensive, which most of the time it isn't. Like if a Caucasian guy calls another Caucasian guy a honkie, that's funny. But it would never be okay for anybody to refer to African Americans as negros. Since that is outdated, just like you wouldn't refer to Caucasian as honkie. But a African American referring to another African American as a negro would be funny. Even a Caucasian referring to another Caucasian as negro would be funny. Just like an African American referring to another African American as honkie would also be funny.

Basically we all know which words would be offensive to certain races, that's why you don't use them at all. But taken out of that context anything can be funny. We all know women have the same rights as men, so saying women belong in the kitchen can be funny. It really all depends on how you use it and how you say it.

Really I don't believe in political correctness at all since most people have common sense, and as long as you don't say anything on purpose to offend somebody you'll be alright. I believe in freedom of speech, people have the right to say whatever they want. But if you want to make a distasteful joke or just a plain bad joke, or just an offensive slur then you have to be willing to live with the anger people may show towards you. But as far as politically correct gos, I don't believe in it.

Edited by slimshadyinc, 08 October 2015 - 06:24 PM.

Member Awards ()

#12 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

What I wonder is why some other culture thinks it's OK to ban me from sticking feathers in my hair. (I mean, I don't. I think it looks goofy. But I used to wear Hawaiian T-shirts when I was a teenager, and that was probably even more goofy.) The fact that something has religious significance in one culture does not give them the right to ban everyone else from wearing it.

Or Catholics would have an exclusive license to wear red hats, and guess what! They don't.

Member Awards ()

#13 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

They would have the right to ban you from sticking feathers in your hair if you lived in a place where that culture, the "feather-stickers," was the dominant one. It's like France banning face coverings such as Islamic burkhas. And, frankly, I think it is perfectly acceptable. No one else would be allowed to wear a face mask in bank, for example. Their country, their rules.

Member Awards ()

#14 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

"You're a little politically incorrect. We know, you're not racist and you actually do think some things are off limits. However, you think people are too sensitive and you're not on a PC crusade to censor everything that may be over the line. You're balanced and laid back, but sometimes you slip and just can't resist the inappropriate joke or phrase. You've probably offended more than one person in life, but you most likely don't care because you know when to stop. You're in right in the middle! What do you think? Let us know!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I finished the quiz and was waiting for the result, I was sure that it was going to picture me as the biggest extremist on the face of the earth! Imagine my surprise... I strongly object about being deprived of my right to consider myself politically incorrect!  :D

#15 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

They would have the right to ban you from sticking feathers in your hair if you lived in a place where that culture, the "feather-stickers," was the dominant one. It's like France banning face coverings such as Islamic burkhas. And, frankly, I think it is perfectly acceptable. No one else would be allowed to wear a face mask in bank, for example. Their country, their rules.

I disagree (on the ban about feathers in hair) but agree on masks in banks. My reasoning right now (and I could change my mind) is the justification for each.

But at the same time... it is my opinion that if France is Frances, they have the right to say "no one can enter". Arabs, Americans, Swiss. Whatever. They might be dicks about it. They could round up millions of a group of people they don't like. What do we do about that? I don't know. Everyone has their own selves, their own concious to answer to if they allow things to happen in faraway lands. Internally, they'd have to deal with the issue. I hope for peaceful solutions. But, meh.

Member Awards ()

#16 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:07 PM

There are countries where certain people are not allowed to wear certain things, or go certain places, etc. When I was in Saudi Arabia I was generally made to feel welcome, but there were places where I, as a non-Muslim, was simply not allowed to go. The entire city of Mecca, for example. If the dominant culture of the country was that only certain people got to wear a feather, so be it. We can say it's unfair, and maybe it is. But we have nothing to say about it, since it's not our culture. We can say only that some cultures are shitty. Generally speaking, the more restrictive and oppressive cultures tend to be pretty shitty. I can say that because I have freedom of speech. Meanwhile, I was ejected from Saudi Arabia for making dick jokes. So, yeah. Other countries get to make their own rules, and there's not a diddly-damn thing we can say about it, because we insist upon the right to make our own rules. One of the (many) things Americans don't understand about freedom is that sometimes it means things will happen that they don't like.

The United States is different from most other nation-states in that it is not the homeland of a specific national ethnic group; the dominant ethno-cultural group (white people) are transplants (or invaders, depending on your point of view) historically speaking, and this relatively recently (250 years or so) in the grand scheme of things. France, on the other hand, and "the French" as a peoples, are concepts that stretch back 1000 years or more. Having a shared language helps a lot. I see nothing wrong with these nation-states taking steps to preserve their heritage. Requiring language proficiency for citizenship, for example. The problem is that this kind of thinking can easily descend into racism.

Member Awards ()

#17 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

Member Awards ()

#18 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

Interesting. Nobody here has gotten "politically correct" so far. We're all either middle of the road or not PC at all. I don't think that should come as a surprise, given some of the stuff we have produced over the years...

Member Awards ()

#19 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

You're definitely NOT politically incorrect!

You're not politically incorrect! You get it. Racism and sexism are outdated, uncalled for and not funny. You love a good laugh, but you know that there's actually nothing funny about offensive tropes that dehumanize women and people of color. You're the last one to culturally appropriate something, and you can't stand it when people do. You're still wondering why white people in America think its OK to dress up like Native Americans. You're sensitive, intelligent and progressive. What's not to love?! Well, sometimes you may come across as a party pooper. Try to pick your battles, not EVERYTHING is offensive. What do you think?

Hah, take that "Australians are racist" stereotype!

#20 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:04 AM