the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:06 AM

The situation in Libya isn't getting as much media attention because it's not nearly the horror show that the Syrian civil war is. That's the simple fact of the matter.

Sure there isn't a full on civil war raging on like in Syria, but Libya is still in a state of civil war with fighting between different factions being a daily occurrence. The western recognised government is in exile having lost the capital. Both sides categorically rejected a UN peace deal recently between the two ruling sides.

Libya is a human trafficking paradise because the shores and the country isn't policed properly.

It has its own chapter of ISIS operating in the country causing terrorist attacks and killing around the country.

Its neighbours are seriously starting to question what is going to happen very soon especially Egypt.

----------

It isn't getting media attention because the US and Russia aren't bombing the place, not because it isn't more of a horror show.

Member Awards ()

#62 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• Invicta: Knight
  • 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:22 AM

The situation in Libya isn't getting as much media attention because it's not nearly the horror show that the Syrian civil war is. That's the simple fact of the matter.

Sure there isn't a full on civil war raging on like in Syria, but Libya is still in a state of civil war with fighting between different factions being a daily occurrence. The western recognised government is in exile having lost the capital. Both sides categorically rejected a UN peace deal recently between the two ruling sides.

Libya is a human trafficking paradise because the shores and the country isn't policed properly.

It has its own chapter of ISIS operating in the country causing terrorist attacks and killing around the country.

Its neighbours are seriously starting to question what is going to happen very soon especially Egypt.

----------

It isn't getting media attention because the US and Russia aren't bombing the place, not because it isn't more of a horror show.

I think that's probably the biggest reason, yeah. The only reason people in the US really ever talked much about Libya (when they did) was the attack on Benghazi and the coalition against Gaddafi. The majority of the Arab Spring went severely under-reported in the US and much of the world, unfortunately. 

e: nvm

Edited by Cappin' Pissflapps, 12 November 2015 - 04:17 AM.

#63 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:06 AM

Last night around 11:00 PM my time (PST), Kurdish Peshmerga soldiers near Sinjar, Iraq launched a major offensive (https://w ww.youtube...h?v=n1FyVB6DoYE) to recapture the town from ISIS.

This operation is significant as Sinjar is situated along Highway 47, the only corridor between the ISIS capital city of Mosul and their holdings in Syria. The attack began with heavy shelling (https://twitter.com/...687545410809856) and coalition airstrikes, and has continued with the destruction of many land mines and IEDs of various kinds, vehicle-borne (https://twitter.com/...742351877881856) and building-based.

The fighting is going house-to-house, street by street. ISIS is losing a lot of ground and reports are coming in that the Pesh just took the highway itself, meaning ISIS is likely going to lose the city. First Kobane, now Sinjar. Daesh is learning that messing with the Kurds was a huge mistake.

It's a little early to call it a victory, but I'm feeling rather optimistic about the operation and with any hopes they'll be able to declare it before much longer. Here's to some good news from the war on ISIS for once!

As of this writing: Both the east and west approaches to Sinjar have been cleared, and the Kurds have declared a mop-up operation in Sinjar against the remainder of the daesh forces, the majority of which were seen retreating a few hours ago. The Peshmerga continue to be backed up by air support from several coalition countries, US special forces, and their own armor and heavy weaponry.

https://www.youtube....h?v=giWadfG8KvI

https://twitter.com/...766195334258688

g1uKGeY.png

Qx2YuNz.png

PZj3EZG.jpg

hrqWTiW.jpg

a0FDYKB.jpg

5UJ2aXn.jpg

**all information in this post has been cleared for release**

Edited by Cappin' Pissflapps, 12 November 2015 - 06:07 AM.

#64 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

Good, so no violation of OP-Sec?

...DAMN IT CAP'N, YOU JUST ATTRACTED ISIS TO THESE FORUMS!

Member Awards ()

#65 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:24 PM

This is a legitimately important thing to distinguish in some of my posts, though. I'm party to some rather sensitive information regarding the Peshmerga due to my contact with them. For instance, I knew about today's offensive about a week in advance, and knew that the offensive itself was kicking off about an hour before it did. Believe me, it was hard to hold news like that in. 

#66 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

This is a legitimately important thing to distinguish in some of my posts, though. I'm party to some rather sensitive information regarding the Peshmerga due to my contact with them. For instance, I knew about today's offensive about a week in advance, and knew that the offensive itself was kicking off about an hour before it did. Believe me, it was hard to hold news like that in. 

Luckily it's all retroactive. Thanks for not spilling the beans. 

And attracting ISIS. 

quiet.jpg

Member Awards ()

#67 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:56 PM

Loose lips sink ships, my vagina is the reason for the titanic. 

#68 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:06 AM

You have a vagina?!

Member Awards ()

#69 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:52 AM

You have a vagina?!

Sometimes, it depends on the weather honestly. 

#70 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:36 AM

You have a vagina?!

Sometimes, it depends on the weather honestly. 

Oh, i c.

I hear that's a lot like being agnostic. Only with a vagina.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users