not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:57 AM

If I wanna put a bigger SD Card in my phone, what do I need to do? Is the OS on the SD card? If so, how can I just transfer everything to a new SD Card?

Member Awards ()

#2 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

If I wanna put a bigger SD Card in my phone, what do I need to do? Is the OS on the SD card? If so, how can I just transfer everything to a new SD Card?

Photo programs need to be told to save to sd if they don't detect it automatically. Programs at times can be partly moved over or not at all depending on how shit the programmer is. It's a bit like placing a new drive in your pc but more limited.

If you got a full internal sd card with no junk and it's still full your just fucked.

#3 Staccs

Staccs
  • Former Member
  • 726 posts
  • Ruler Name:Staccs
  • Nation Name:RaccNation
  • IRC Nick:Staccs
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

No, your OS is not on your SD card.

Transfer all the folders/files in your SD card onto a folder on your computer. Insert new SD card. Now transfer all your old files into the new card. Simple as that.

#4 Staccs

Staccs
  • Former Member
  • 726 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

Photo programs need to be told to save to sd if they don't detect it automatically. Programs at times can be partly moved over or not at all depending on how shit the programmer is. It's a bit like placing a new drive in your pc but more limited.

If you got a full internal sd card with no junk and it's still full your just fucked.

lol dude wtf are you even saying

#5 Shotgun Willy

Shotgun Willy

Rat Bastard

• Advisor
  • 2333 posts
  • Ruler Name:ShotgunWilly
  • Nation Name:Klein Republic
  • IRC Nick:ShotgunWilly
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

It makes sense to me. :P 

If your phone has a place to put another SD card, just slip one in and you're good to go. Moving programs and making it so that new photos save onto it can be a challenge though. But if your phone only has the internal card, then you're pretty much stuck. And if that's the case and you've already gotten rid of all the junk and you're still out of room, then you're fucked. :P

Member Awards ()

#6 killer04

killer04

Diplomat of Purple

• Invicta: Legion People
  • 323 posts
  • Ruler Name:killer04
  • Nation Name:Iwait
  • IRC Nick:killer04|Legion
  • Alliance Name:The Legion
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

Depending on the version of android and the app you may not be able to move the app to the SD card. Some apps want/need to stay with the OS. There may be work arounds but I imagine many involve rooting. You can likely migrate some apps to SD card but probably not all. I just got an SD card for my phone and moved all photos and videos, and music to the SD card and changed the default save location for photos and videos. On my LG G3 I've used about 13 gigs on my 32 gig internal chip, and I loaded about 12 onto my 32 gig SD card. I about 4.2 gig of apps on my phone and about 8.5 of misc which include OS.

Member Awards ()

#7 Ordo

Ordo

Minister of Awesome

• Former Member
  • 3648 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ordoeq
  • Nation Name:Conviction
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:20 PM

your new SD card should come with one of these

SD_insert1.png

which can be plugged into your computer, and allow you to move any files on it to your computer via one of these :

1-piece-3-5-all-in-1-internal-memory-car

If your computer does not have one, you can always connect your phone to your computer in via USB charger, and copy the SD card contents that way.  then, turn your phone off, take out the old card, put in the new card, (with larger capacity) and reconnect it to your computer, and put your files on the new SD card.

Member Awards ()

#8 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:43 PM

Why is this thread not about Lt. Commander Data?!

datas-reaction.jpg

#9 Staccs

Staccs
  • Former Member
  • 726 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:42 AM

If your phone has a place to put another SD card, just slip one in and you're good to go. Moving programs and making it so that new photos save onto it can be a challenge though. But if your phone only has the internal card, then you're pretty much stuck. And if that's the case and you've already gotten rid of all the junk and you're still out of room, then you're fucked. :P

I'm not saying it didn't make sense. It just didn't answer Thrashs question.

#10 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:56 AM

I'm not saying it didn't make sense. It just didn't answer Thrashs question.

Wait shit I have to be on topic. Get Kiwi here to explain me how it works.

#11 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

i dont give a crap about apps, i just wanna know if i take out the sd card and put in a new one will my phone still work..  even if it's just the OS i have no probs with reinstalling apps cuz i have like 5 apps installed.

Member Awards ()

#12 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

Yes.

It has a internal one which has the OS, you can't fuck that one up unless you really try. It might see stuff is missing as the external one is gone but everything mission critical will still be there on the internal one.

Like it would work exactly like if you popup out the card right now, hell you can just take it out and put it in while its on.

Edited by xoindotnler, 31 August 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#13 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:59 PM

ok then

Member Awards ()