• Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

French%201_zpsrajksmxl.png

So, I remember seeing some photographs in the news of the French Police-soldiers, and it got me to thinking; dem are some bad-ass shoulder pads they got going on. While I tried to look for a better resolution photograph, I failed so, dem's what you get. But it reminded me of another French shoulder pad system, from the Felin Body armor system, and it got to me to thinking; those are some bad-ass shoulder pads. Now, at first glance you might say, eh, whatever, they're kind of cool, but it looks pretty mundane like, you should sort of look like that, right?

Wrong. The interceptor body armor, used by the Americans and to a limited extent our allies, does not look as cool. Yeah, it has a characteristic "war-fighter" look to it, but still, the shoulder pads are just... lacking. I mean for such a cool vest, the shoulder look silly and stupid, like, droopy, sad almost, like it was an afterthought they put on there. With the French, they went all-out, balls to the walls on this, and just blew them out. Plus the matching camo on them? Spot on. The interceptor just has a sort of, odd, bloated look, like it was cobbled together at the last second (becuase it was). 

Now, while we can argue about the effectiveness, the fact of the matter is, the French one's look cool. Granted, we don't want to steal their look. But something very similiar could not hurt. Some of you might even argue that the shoulder is not as important from a tactical perspective, but I disagree. On top of a shockwave passing through the shoulder in to the lungs being a good chance of a collapsed lung, or the radiating energy breaking a rib and doing the same, the clavicle vein runs through there, which is connected to the heart. Like slitting the jugular, blood will come rushing out of there, and will squirt out like a fountain, basically meaning, you'll die a very fast death if you are hit in your clavicle. Not as fast as a direct hit to the heart but, it's pretty close. Thus, the shoulders are an important, but often overlooked part of body armor. Most police vests don't cover the shoulders at all. 

Granted, covering up the clavicle can eliminate most of this risk, however again energy radiating out from a wound to the shoulder could damage surrounding blood vessels, and thus cause the damage. 

Henceforth, I declare, we need better, bad-ass looking shoulder pads to be able to compete with the French. Also, good job French police-soldiers. 

KEEP IT UP! :big:

What do you think, ED?

Should we get, more specifically America, similiar shoulder pads, or what do you think?

Member Awards ()

#2 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

French%203_zpswjscfgdp.png

French%204_zpsh2cmpyfg.png

Member Awards ()

#3 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

Also, does anyone know what those submachine guns are?

I get the one in the middle is using a grenade launcher, but those other two guys got some WWII-era submachine guns up in dere. I've also seen those all over the french news.

Are they actually from WWII, did they dust them off and hand them out to police, or like wat?

Member Awards ()

#4 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

Beretta M12, but more specifically its the M12SD version.

Member Awards ()

#5 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

Beretta M12, but more specifically its the M12SD version.

Zomg, more profs the Frenchies use them! 

But strangely only the police. O.o

Neat though! 

I'd do it. It's bad-ass. 

150108085248-01-paris-shooting-0108-supe

Member Awards ()

#6 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Army can't really use the Bretta M12, it has 9mm ammo and we all know how deadly and accurate at long range that is!

I imagine they are similar to Kpist m/45 we have here. Really only close quarter weapon. 

I got wondering about:

a) where's their spare mags?

b) what do they have in the shoulder pads? Is it armour or just "protection". 

#7 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

Army can't really use the Bretta M12, it has 9mm ammo and we all know how deadly and accurate at long range that is!

I imagine they are similar to Kpist m/45 we have here. Really only close quarter weapon. 

I got wondering about:

a) where's their spare mags?

b) what do they have in the shoulder pads? Is it armour or just "protection". 

It's probably body armor. The French love them shoulder pads. But it's likely only useful against pistol rounds and shrapnel, like most soft body armor. 

The submachine gun isn't that great, which is what surprised me that they had such big metal-wire frame ones. Like the Thommy gun in WWII was good, but a 10 pound gun that only has a 100 yard range isn't that spectacular for modern combat, even though it was well built and high quality for it's specific purpose. It's rare to see submachine guns like that still in use. But it would be great for a police officer, I guess. Even so, most typically use rifles. It could be the high price of the FAMAS, which in Euroes, is like 3,000 dollars in American moneys, compared to the M16 at like 1000. 

Maybe they're worried about over penetration.

Member Awards ()

#8 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

Good question about the ammunition, though. I think they keep them in those oddly shaped pouches on their chest, which are clearly not mag specific. Maybe they're more like this, in that say, they're hidden in there? They have like, one giant duffle bag on their chest. I've seen it done, but with submachine gun magazines it's often easier to pull off since they're so skinny. So, very specific gear here, too.

266284_02_5_ak_47_mags_and_mag_pouch_640

Member Awards ()

#9 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

They probably aim for a submachine gun on purpose. Since it's the police it focuses more on stoping power than killing power when it comes to cartridges. Furthermore due to short barrels they excel in moving around with your eye on the sight in urban area. Stock M16 is too long for that.

MP5 or a P90 would be more logical choices for upgrade. But also we must take into consideration it's the Police in full arms. These could be some reserves stacked away 20 years ago. Just look at the sights - no holos! Police special forces have something better probably. 

Furthermore on bad equipment: the second picture you posted - the dude doesn't even have a radio pouch. None of them have helmets and you hope they have decent armour on shoulders. I'm thinking more and more we're seeing a lot of reserve equipment being handed out in emergency time. 

Edited by Alyster, 25 November 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#10 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, they probably mobilized the police forces just for this. Those are probs regular police dudes with back up gear. 

Still pretty bad ass, though. I mean all their gear is specifically suited for this one purpose. It's pretty cool. 

Member Awards ()

#11 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

Yeah the fact that they have so many police tactical vests for reserve pruposes is actually impressive. 

Edited by Alyster, 25 November 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#12 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

Yeah the fact that they have so many police tactical vests for reserve pruposes is actually impressive. 

I know right?!

I have to give them a round of applause. These guys are doing pretty awesome. I know France is kind of in a panic/scared right now, but it's cool to see them mobilized like this, handling the situation. 

Cops everywhere have some pretty solid equipment. 

And it's not just military surplus, it's like, military surplus where everything fits but has a police vibe to it, like they were planning for this, like they saved it for a special occasion. It's impressive. I could lob out some political commentary or something but what comes to mind is "damn, good job, France! Keep it up!". Plus, dem shoulder pads are bad-ass...

Member Awards ()

#13 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:43 PM

Also, he has an Eotech on a grenade launcher. 

That's like a 500 dollar scope. That's pretty tricked out. 

Member Awards ()

#14 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

National Police Intervention Groups (GIPN) is France's special forces that are under the police command and they have access to military grade firearms as they deal with counter terrorism among other things.

So what those pictures show is normal police.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users