Photo

Tolerance

potd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Tolerance (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be bothered if a conservative Muslim family moved in as your neighbours?

1. Yes (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Somewhat (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

3. No (11 votes [73.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

4. I'm not sure (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

5. Other (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Vote

#41 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

Some Taoist regemes may be oppressive. All Islamic regemes are oppressive. Bar none. That's a difference. I have no tolerance, and no time for this topic. Unless you want it to explode into a heated shouting match, I suggest you close this thread and back away slowly. This is your last chance.

#42 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

Buddhism can't really be opressive; it wouldn't be buddhism then anymore, it's something else. 

#43 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

There Is one school that tells that women can't reach enlightenment.

#44 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:35 AM

There Is one school that tells that women can't reach enlightenment.

Baltic German professors during 19th century in my university claimed that women were incapable of studying in the university, because their heads were too small to understand latin. However they noted that female students were a nice change in the class room, since they didn't smell of beer and hangover. :P

Edited by al-Yster, 22 March 2013 - 02:35 AM.

#45 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

:P That would be a nice change wouldn't it?

#46 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

You can't separate the shariah law from Islam. Someone, for whatever reason, has packaged the two together.

Of course you can't. The reason has already been explained here in this thread.

Sharia law is an attempt to give legal form to the Koran.

And it is without a doubt one of the most oppressive regimes in existence.

It's not. It's a legal system, with its own drawbacks and advantages, like other legal systems. Like the common law, which has been used to enforce slavery. You want to reread Sia-chan's post and reply to where he actually describes the problems with sharia.

There are oppressive Islamic regimes, there are even oppressive Buddhist/Toaist regimes; look at China.

China is neither Buddhist nor Taoist. Officially it is atheist. The regime uses a lot of Confucian ideas though.

Some Taoist regemes may be oppressive.

There are no Taoist regimes.

Member Awards ()

#47 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

You know sometimes I just wanna drop dead, you know? 

These threads....ugh...my faith in humanity. ;-;

Well the bickering over stupid shit ever end? 

Member Awards ()

#48 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Will people stop trying to defend this sick abomination please? Cause you're wrong. Evil, possibly.

#49 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

There're only two people posting in this thread who've actually lived in a place which used sharia law. I'm one of them, Jor's the other.

It's easy when you're a teenager to see the world in black and white: our people are good, the other people are bad. Part of growing up is realizing that the world doesn't work that way, this isn't a John Wayne movie.

Member Awards ()

#50 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

There're only two people posting in this thread who've actually lived in a place which used sharia law. I'm one of them, Jor's the other.

It's easy when you're a teenager to see the world in black and white: our people are good, the other people are bad. Part of growing up is realizing that the world doesn't work that way, this isn't a John Wayne movie.

So you assume, since I'm a teenager, that I'm thinking that way? Alright, well if we're gonna start looking at me at that way, I'll just leave this thread alone. Obviously since I'm a teenager I'm completely unaware of how the world turns even though it's 3/4 of what I think about on a daily basis, contrasting that of a regular teenager whom really never gives it a thought unless the subject is brought up. Regular teen as in, today's teen by the way. You already know how they are...and I am nothing close to that.

Member Awards ()

#51 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

So you assume, since I'm a teenager, that I'm thinking that way?

I was talking to Red B)

I was assuming that because she was thinking that way that she's a teenager. The logic is reversed.

Member Awards ()

#52 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Ahh, well I'm the only actual teenager here according to the calendar...so I assumed it was me....

Dammit where are my flames?! SHE GETS ALL THE FLAMES!!!

Member Awards ()

#53 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

There are non-oppressive Muslim nations:

Jordan - Freedom of religion is upheld in this small state of 5.8 million people; Christians and Jews are allowed to worship freely and they are officially recognized. Women are allowed to serve as cabinet ministers and the Jordanian government is working towards raising the percentage of women in public service. Women are not required to wear the veil, but in some places they wear it out of fear of being ostracized.

United Arab Emirates - Its GDP per capita is the 5th highest in the world and it has the fastest growing economy in the world. It is not a surprise than neighboring Saudis drive into Dubai and other parts of the UAE for the weekend. The clubs, bars, movie theatres, and world class shopping are abundant and control over print media is lax. Christians, Jews, and Hindi can practice their religions freely in this oasis of liberty in the desert of Islamic conservativeness we call the Middle East.

Turkey - This very secular and democratic Islamic nation has ties with the West through organizations such as NATO and is currently seeking entrance into the European Union. Its constitution protects all religions from discrimination; In particular, the Turkish strive for secularism can be viewed in their law that prohibits religious head garments being worn in government buildings, schools, and universities. The Turkish government invests a good portion of its funds into the promotion of fine arts, theatre, and architecture, moving its popular culture closer to that of Europe's.

Kuwait - It seems like a juxtaposition to have such a liberal Islam state be situated right next to troubled Iraq just to the north and the totalitarian kingdom of Saudi Arabia to the west, though its geography does not let it hinder its liberties. Kuwait has one of the most vocal media in the Middle East, allowing the flexibility to Kuwaiti journalists to even criticize the government. Human rights in Kuwait have improved with the country's recent abiding to UN standards.

Bahrain - Its wealth is distributed amongst its middle class, making Bahrain more liberal than its mainland cousins. Religious tolerance is widespread with synagogues peacefully residing next to mosques. It is a Mecca for shopping and vacationing as is Dubai and is lax about alcohol sales and consumption. Bahrain can be said to be the most Western-friendly Muslim nation with the splash of "Arabness" that travels look for when they come. Though Bahrain is the most liberal Muslim nation in the world, people have been arrested for kissing on the lips in public.

Still, ten of the sixteen most oppressive countries are Muslim:

U5krhOM.jpg

Source: Freedom House.

Member Awards ()

#54 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Nope.

If you say so. I have nothing more to say in this thread to proponents of the White Man's Burden.

I honestly think you've cocked up somewhere if you somehow think oppression of women is somehow cultured.

I'm not even going to go into this. The Qur'an takes a much more liberating stance towards women than any other Abrahamic text. If you think the freedom for women to wear modest clothing makes them 'oppressed', you're a fucking idiot.

If somehow anti scientific viewpoints are somehow forward.

For most of the past two centuries, Muslim nations were at the forefront of scientific development. Muslim nations developed algebra and improved astronomical instruments. They developed mathematical formulas allowing for the construction of buildings in a scale not seen before in history. Today, the scientific output of Muslim nations, while diminished compared to the West, is still significant. Iranian scientific output alone ranks far above any other developing nation, and is expected to rank fourth worldwide by 2018. Again, you're a fucking idiot.

If a solely patriarchal theocratic religion of violence and death that worships a god damn asteroid is somehow progressive.

Wat. Muslims worship the same god as Jews and Christians. An atheist complaining about the use of an asteroid in the construction of a religious temple is also somehow really laughable. You're a fucking idiot.

You can't separate the shariah law from Islam. Someone, for whatever reason, has packaged the two together. And it is without a doubt one of the most oppressive regimes in existence.

Haf covered this. You're still a fucking idiot.

I love how all of you are quite happily arguing that somehow it's good and enlightened and that "oh that's just teachings nobody reads" when I can easily point to its source in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Afghanistan, to point out how oppressive it is, and how I can point to unrest by Muslims trying to override our centuries of progressive, enlightened culture with their own, in countries including Britain, France, Germany, and Australia.

And right back to the xenophobic, ethnocentric views Jorost was just espousing. You're a fucking idiot.

The culture is not compatible, it is aggressively expansionist, is manipulative, and violent. It must be opposed.

This deluded view has been debunked over and over again in this thread and elsewhere. You're a fucking idiot.

Some Taoist regemes may be oppressive.All Islamic regemes are oppressive. Bar none.That's a difference. I have no tolerance, and no time for this topic. Unless you want it to explode into a heated shouting match, I suggest you close this thread and back away slowly. This is your last chance.

WHAAA LET ME BE A RACIST BITCH AND STOP THROWING LOGIC IN MY FACE. You're a fucking idiot.

Buddhism can't really be opressive; it wouldn't be buddhism then anymore, it's something else. 

While as a Buddhist I'd tend to agree with that view of it as a philosophy, that certainly doesn't stop individual extremists from using it in the same way extremist Muslims do. Just yesterday, two mosques in Myanmar were burned down, and several people injured, in separate attacks by predominantly Buddhist mobs.

Will people stop trying to defend this sick abomination please? Cause you're wrong. Evil, possibly.

The only evil in this thread are those trying to make a case for bigoted hatred. You're a fucking idiot.

Member Awards ()

#55 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

ALRIGHT THIS HAS BECOME TOO MUCH OF A SHIT STORM.

As the MoIA, I hereby locking this topic. Alyster, never...ever...ever post another poll pertaining to religion here please. It's just not gonna work.

I may even nuke it if anyone decides they want to just keep the name calling going on. 

Member Awards ()

#56 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

ALRIGHT THIS HAS BECOME TOO MUCH OF A SHIT STORM.

As the MoIA, I hereby locking this topic. Alyster, never...ever...ever post another poll pertaining to religion here please. It's just not gonna work.

I may even nuke it if anyone decides they want to just keep the name calling going on. 

Come at me.

Alright, enough of this, both of you.

PriceVegeta, if you feel a thread is getting out of hand, post in it and say why, don't just delete every post someone makes because you feel they're unwarranted. As well, use the goddamned 'unapprove' button.

Killman4, while my last post may make it hard for me to hold any sort of moral high ground here, there's no call for that sort of language directed at another member.

To whoever unlocked this topic, don't do it again. PV is well within his purview as MoIA to lock it and keep it locked.

Member Awards ()

#57 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Okay, for one.

Your last post was a bit out of hand with the constant "Idiot". You took an oath mind you:

I, Michael von Prussia, of Grossgermania, swear to uphold the Charter of the Regnum Invictorum alliance at all times. I will obey all Regnum Invictorum's laws and regulations. I will conduct myself in an appropriate manner in all channels of communication used by the alliance. I will respect my fellow members at all times. I will never knowingly do anything to place Regnum Invictorum in danger. I will strive to advance the Invicta alliance for the good of the entire community. I understand that my membership in Invicta may be immediately terminated if I engage in war without sanction from the Government."

Killlman4, you also did the same. Therefore you must honor your oath.

Redezra you also did the same.

Also Killlmans just spamming. So deleting spam sounds like a much more better way of dealing with it. 

Plus the bickering, is somewhat bad considering this is the fucking CHAT ROOM. ALLIES CAN SEE THIS. Do we really want to look this bad? Hell most of us should be embarrassed. Not only by this thread, but all the other failed attempts at having a civilized conversation about religion that were in the public eye.

I'm pretty sure you all can see why I don't have really have to explain it. The thread speaks for itself. It's a mess.

Member Awards ()

#58 Killman4

Killman4

Formerly known as Junior Senior Gov

• Peer
  • 1433 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:killman4
  • Nation Name:Suomessa on vahva
  • IRC Nick:killlman4
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

*shrugs* Sue me then.

Member Awards ()

#59 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

I would like to remind people to remain respectful. I would also like to remind people to not abuse any mod or admin powers they have. Just because you don't like it means it should be deleted. If this was the case I would delete most of you on certain days. As regards to spam, we are not anywhere near our database limit so I will determine what should be done with. Why? I'm the Webmaster, thats why. If you think a post should be removed use the report post feature. All deleted post will be looked at and if possible restored.

Repeat offenders will have access removed if they keep doing it.

All of this was to EVERYONE in general, no one specific. However, if PV deems this topic it should remain so unless he is overruled. Any concerns can be sent to the Chief of Staff or Vice President.

Thanks.

Member Awards ()

#60 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Ruler Name:Learz
  • Nation Name:Eridani Empire
  • IRC Nick:Learz
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:12 AM