• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

By now everyone knows that Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died yesterday. Before the body was cold Republicans were publicly saying that Obama should not nominate a successor, and that any such nomination should be blocked. The justification, of course, is that it is so close to the election that we should let the next president (and "the American people") decide. A couple of thoughts on this:

First, it is definitely not up to the American people to choose the next Supreme Court justice. That is a job the Constitution clearly and explicitly gives to the president, with the "advice and consent" of the Senate, said advice and consent consisting of the confirmation process. We don't vote for Supreme Court justices. Nor should we. Voting for judges is generally a bad idea. 

The real reason Republicans don't want Obama to name a new justice, of course, is because they are afraid he will nominate a "liberal" justice who will tip the balance of power in the high court for years to come (although maybe not; Ruth Bader Ginsberg is 82, after all). That's a shame, but elections have consequences. As much as they hate it, Obama is still president. It is not only his right to name a successor, it his his constitutional duty.

Interestingly, all of this has happened before. Almost exactly 100 years ago, in fact. On January 2nd, 1916, Supreme Court Justice Joseph Rucker Lamar died. On January 28th President Woodrow Wilson nominated Louis Brandeis to replace him. Just like today, the opposition objected on the grounds that it was an election year. But they objected even more loudly on the grounds that Brandeis was a Jew. After an ugly fight that dragged on for months, Brandeis was finally confirmed on June 1, 1916.

Supreme Court justices have an annoying habit of not vacating their seats in election years. In the 20th century it has happened only four times: the incident described above, another vacancy in 1916 (a resignation this time), a resignation in 1932, and Chief Justice Earl Warren's retirement, originally planned for June 1968.

This last incident has been brought up in regard to the Scalia vacancy, with Ted Cruz and others rightly stating that Lyndon Johnson's nomination to fill the seat was not upheld. But that year was a bit different, in that it was political from the beginning. Earl Warren, fearing that Nixon would be elected, tried to cut a "retirement deal" with LBJ. Johnson nominated Justice Abe Fortas to replace Warren as Chief Justice, and Homer Thornberry to fill Fortas' thus vacated seat. The Senate, which was in Democratic hands but not particularly happy with the Johnson administration at that point (Johnson was also a Democrat), sat on the nomination and let it expire. Earl warren delayed his retirement, and the vacancy ended up being filled by Nixon. This scenario is essentially what Republicans would like to see happen this time. They could get their wish.

Member Awards ()

#2 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

They serve for life? That's a good screw.

Member Awards ()

#3 Allant

Allant
  • Former Member
  • 207 posts
  • Ruler Name:Allant I
  • Nation Name:Paxico
  • Alliance Name:The Legion
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

We the people elect our representatives so "we" are selecting our justices. Obama still has a year left, seems like we make our president a lame duck earlier and earlier. Elect another Kennedy justice, I hate that the court has also fallen to the liberal vs conservative brawl. 

Edited by Allant, 14 February 2016 - 05:53 PM.

#4 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

Yeah, I think Obama should nominate someone. The name that I keep seeing is Sri Srinivasan, a DC Circuit court judge who was approved 97-0 by the Senate, including Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and Mitch McConnell. The DC Circuit is widely considered to be the waiting area for the SCOTUS, and the confirmation process is just as rigorous as for the high court itself. Having already been scrutinized and given their stamp of approval, Republicans can hardly object to Srinivasan now. Also he'd be the first Asian justice.

Another name I see is Merrick Garland, also from the DC Circuit (Chief Judge, in fact).

Both are on this short list compiled by Politico. But if I had to bet cash money I'd go with Srinivasan. He's 48 years old — he could conceivably be on the court for four decades. Presidents like that shit. You heard it here first. Unless you didn't.

Member Awards ()

#5 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

lol @ the debate last night. The President should and will make a nomination soon I think.

Kasich is the only sane one in the group. Please vote for Kasich America. Make me a happy camper. :D

Member Awards ()

#6 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

lol @ the debate last night. The President should and will make a nomination soon I think.
Kasich is the only sane one in the group. Please vote for Kasich America. Make me a happy camper. :D

<3

Member Awards ()

#7 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:15 AM

I've long said Kasich and Sanders were the only human beings in the race.

As for the topic at hand, this is ridiculous. Why invest the Presidency with any given power if you're just going to arbitrarily curtail it whenever it suits you?

Still, the best part of all of this is how confident the Republicans seem to be that they'll win the White House. They can whine all they want about anyone Obama may care to appoint, but you can be damned sure they'd like anyone he'd put there a hell of a lot more than anyone Sanders would.

A couple other thoughts I saw floating about:

nJSajYR.png

h9LNSLG.jpg

Good on ya, Liz.

Member Awards ()

#8 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

Watch them block the nomination, then Bernie or Hilldog wins the election.

They get a Liberal Judge regardless.

Hilarity ensues.

Member Awards ()

#9 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

Lol, this is hillarious.

#10 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

The top contender is a guy who has already been vetted and approved unanimously by the Senate for the DC Circuit. The DC Circuit is only one step below SCOTUS, and the scrutiny is essentially the same. Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz all voted to confirm this dude in 2013. It's going to be really difficult for them to justify not doing so now. That doesn't mean they might not try, but it will be futile. I bet we get a new justice by summer.

If they do decide to delay, delay, delay, it could easily blow up in their faces. Hillary Clinton has said she thinks Obama would make an excellent Supreme Court justice...

Member Awards ()

#11 Allant

Allant
  • Former Member
  • 207 posts
  • Ruler Name:Allant I
  • Nation Name:Paxico
  • Alliance Name:The Legion
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:28 PM

That would be funny, I know we did it in the past but is that still allowed? 

#12 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

The top contender is a guy who has already been vetted and approved unanimously by the Senate for the DC Circuit. The DC Circuit is only one step below SCOTUS, and the scrutiny is essentially the same. Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz all voted to confirm this dude in 2013. It's going to be really difficult for them to justify not doing so now. That doesn't mean they might not try, but it will be futile. I bet we get a new justice by summer.

If they do decide to delay, delay, delay, it could easily blow up in their faces. Hillary Clinton has said she thinks Obama would make an excellent Supreme Court justice...

The only bad move Obama can make at this juncture is to cave to the demands he not appoint anyone. If he appoints anyone, anyone, even remotely competent for the job, the Republicans are just going to come off looking like whiny babies.

Member Awards ()

#13 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

Wait, Obama as chief justice?

Given all the shit he's done with FISA, how does anyone think that is a good idea?

#14 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

Sure. And yes, it's allowed. In fact it even happened once. Former president William Howard Taft became chief justice in 1921. Obama is a constitutional scholar and former law professor. He's certainly qualified to be on the Supreme Court. Plus it would make conservatives' heads explode.

Member Awards ()

#15 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

It would also make my head explode. It's hard not to notice I take a delightfully cynical approach to politics in general, but this is very very bad.

#16 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

Redezra's right.

I really don't want the man who has overseen the world's largest mass-surveillance system, who has spied on and interfered in the governance of many countries—including American allies, who has ordered the extrajudicial killing of American citizens and others, and who has dropped countless bombs on civilian populations across the world (among other intolerable acts) in a position to decide whether those actions and ones worse than them are legal for future administrations to continue. These are the sort of actions we'd expect from tinpot dictators, and as easy as it is to mindlessly excuse them because you happened to vote for Obama, he shouldn't be held to a different standard than anyone else: and he certainly shouldn't be given a position where he can absolve himself and his successors of his crimes.

Member Awards ()

#17 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:03 PM

Lol, I think it's unlikely. I don't think Obama likes Washington very much. But it is certainly plausible.

He's already in a position where he can absolve himself of any crimes. Presidential pardon powers are absolute and unlimited. Although it has never happened, a president could conceivably pardon themselves.

Member Awards ()

#18 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

I'm okay with him pardoning himself, I don't want him to be at the top of the judiciary, given how much he's done to basically screw that over. The man clearly does not believe in due process when the situation demands, imagine that kind of precident with someone who is really bad.

#19 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

Presidential pardon is also not quite absolute: the right of Congress to impeach the President overrules even the broadest self-absolution. It also certainly wouldn't help him before the Hague, where he truly belongs.

Member Awards ()

#20 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:57 AM

It also certainly wouldn't help him before the Hague, where he truly belongs.

Awwwwww that's cute, someone who thinks anything but crack pot dictators are accountable to international laws.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users