• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

Every time I see him open his mouth and say something it's like he aims to insults everyone's intelligence by talking like the room is filled with toddlers that get scared of big words, even at times stopping mid-sentence to prevent usage of hard words.

#2 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

Could just be me, an ESL that's complete shit at writing that just gets pissed at this shit.

#3 Panginoon

Panginoon

Needs an Avatar

• Invicta: Knight
  • 69 posts
  • Ruler Name:Panginoon
  • Nation Name:Swamphead
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

It's just...sad.

http://www.techinsid...-english-2016-2

#4 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:58 PM

It's probably to do with the fact that he's aiming at the poorly educated low class in America. Which, by virtue of being big, ill educated, and disgruntled, would support a populist candidate.

Hillariously, this vast underclass that he's tapping into was created by republican policies. They've managed to create their own undoing, just like how the US created Al Qaeda and the IS through sheer lack of foresight. It's beautifully ironic.

#5 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

He is appealing because he speaks extemporaneously. He doesn't read a speech, he just gets up there and riffs. The result is a much more natural-sounding presentation. Even his use of crass language appeals to many people, because that's how "real" people talk. He doesn't sound canned or scripted. Compare to, say, Ted Cruz, who is extremely canned and scripted, and the difference is glaring.

I have been saying for years that this is what a candidate should do (the unscripted part, not the racism). Bernie does something similar, and it goes a long way toward explaining his appeal as well.

Member Awards ()

#6 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

the racism, lol

Trump has given me much renewed faith in this country.

Member Awards ()

#7 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:02 AM

Imho, Trump is not an ideologue (you said it yourself, Jor). Sanders is. Racism is an ideology, as well as anti-racism (you may say one is "bad" and the other "good", from a moral perspective, but that doesn't change the fact that they are both ideologies). I have a deep distrust in ideologues. So if I had to choose between Clinton and Trump, I'd go with the former (at least she knows what she's talking about), but between Sanders and Trump I'd pick the latter, as horrific as that may sound.

As for Trump's and Sanders' public appeal, that's due to the fact that they are both populists. We're entering a new era. The world seems to have lost its compass, and America is no exception.

#8 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

Everyone has an ideology.

Member Awards ()

#9 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

To be more specific, I deeply distrust ideologues AS LEADERS. They may be great counselors (sometimes), but usually they are lousy decision makers. They tend to behave by the principle "don't let the facts stand in the way of truth", ignoring that life (or the human nature) is so much deeper than any theory.

#10 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

I don't think Trump is an ideologue. He's just a self-promoter. (So I suppose you could call him an ideologue with an ideology of "TRUMP!", but that's not really what we mean when we talk about ideologues.) Cruz is an ideologue. Sanders is an ideologue. A couple of the people who have dropped out, such as Rand Paul and Ben Carson, are ideologues. Everyone has an ideology, but not everyone is an "ideologue," a word which generally (although sometimes unfairly) carries negative connotations. But the nature of American politics is such that you usually get either ideologues or opportunists.

Member Awards ()

#11 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:32 AM

Jorost, Draculea isn't saying Trump has an ideology,  he's saying Sanders has an ideology. Which is true. And I vaguely agree, while I disagree on the outcome (I think Sanders may just be smart enough to navigate the insane minefield that is the US econo-political system).

Sanders may (may) make terribly bad decisions for America, based on them being the best decisions according to his beliefs. You'd think they're right, common sense would suggest they're right... buuuut they may be objectively wrong. They might make the standard of living much, much worse, before it gets better. If it gets better.

And that'd happen cause Sanders believes in something above factual truth. Kinda like Cruz and his fundamentalist buddies, I suppose (atheist smack!).

Far fetched? Maybe. But it's a valid concern. A concern one doesn't need to worry about with people like Clinton or Trump.

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

Like I said, everyone has an ideology. Having an ideology and being an ideologue are not exactly the same thing. Ideology is just a set of values and beliefs; ideologue suggests a rigid or dogmatic adherence to those beliefs. Bernie may qualify as an ideologue, it would all depend on how rigidly he hews to his ideology in the face of challenge. If, for example, Bernie Sanders were president, and the evidence suggested that one of his ideologically-guided policies was failing, would he change course? I don't know. I suppose it's a moot point since he's very unlikely to be president! As I understand it, despite his ideology he was generally a pretty pragmatic mayor of Burlington.

Member Awards ()

#13 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

Trump's an ideologue alright, he's an Old-Fashion American Patriot. Whether he actually understands the stuff he's spouting is unclear, but it's clear that he believes it.

It's insane, though. Where's Monroe when you need him?

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users