• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:05 PM

Or perhaps it's because it's amusing to finally see leftists confronted with someone better at smarmy self-congratulation than they are.

NN5whhT.jpg

Excuse me, I'm pretty sure I'm more offended that Trump is winning, and we (Redezra/Shokkou 2016, cause chaos in the senate ain't the least of your problems) aren't.

#23 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

Or perhaps it's because it's amusing to finally see leftists confronted with someone better at smarmy self-congratulation than they are.

NN5whhT.jpg

Excuse me, I'm pretty sure I'm more offended that Trump is winning, and we (Redezra/Shokkou 2016, cause chaos in the senate ain't the least of your problems) aren't.

1) You can't win if you aren't running.

2) You can't win if you aren't old enough to hold the office. (Sorry Deez Nutz)

3) Chaos in the Senate would be a great name for a band.

#24 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

NN5whhT.jpg

1) You can't win if you aren't running.

2) You can't win if you aren't old enough to hold the office. (Sorry Deez Nutz)

3) Chaos in the Senate would be a great name for a band.

HI Shokkou....

1. I'd like to submit "Charlie Sheen's tiger blood rant" as evidence for the defense
2. I'd like to submit the fact that Paris Hilton almost won California due to a write-in vote during the 2008 election
3. The defense has no quarrel with the prosecutors third statement

#25 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

2. I'd like to submit the fact that Paris Hilton almost won California due to a write-in vote during the 2008 election.

Was it or was it not due to the leak of her sex tapes? I can't remember the year, but it would be funny if it was the case...on second thoughts it may not be as Cruz and Sanders may "leak' one....

Member Awards ()

#26 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

2. I'd like to submit the fact that Paris Hilton almost won California due to a write-in vote during the 2008 election.

Was it or was it not due to the leak of her sex tapes? I can't remember the year, but it would be funny if it was the case...on second thoughts it may not be as Cruz and Sanders may "leak' one....
Ewwwww but lol but ewwwwwwwww.

Member Awards ()

#27 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

Love Paris

Member Awards ()

#28 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

Meanwhile as Bernie Sanders watches his attempt at the white house careen into the Hudson

#29 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

I blame the corrupted closed primaries

Member Awards ()

#30 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:44 AM

actually it ghad to do with 3 videos that came out at the time....2 were put out by funny or die...one was a music video by paris herself

#31 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

Are closed primaries corrupt? I don't think so. Remember, the political parties are private organizations. Think of them as clubs. Most clubs don't let outsiders vote in their elections. To my thinking, if you're going to vote in a Democratic primary you should be a registered Democrat, if you're going to vote in a Republican primary you should be a registered Republican.

As for Democratic superdelegates, they exist for a good reason. Or rather, they exist for three good reasons: George McGovern, Walter Mondale, and Michael Dukakis. See, for years the Democrats nominated their most hippy-dippy, left-wing, and generally unelectable candidates they could find, and they lost big. Hell, even Jimmy Carter barely won in 1976 — and that was against the guy who pardoned Nixon. The superdelegate system was put in place to help balance out the party's tendency to pick losers.

But times have changed. The country in general is a lot more liberal than it used to be. None of the guys I listed above could have imagined legalized marijuana or same-sex marriage, for example. So maybe it's time for the system to change again. My guess is that after this year it will. Especially if Hillary loses.

Member Awards ()

#32 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

Are closed primaries corrupt? I don't think so. Remember, the political parties are private organizations. Think of them as clubs. Most clubs don't let outsiders vote in their elections. To my thinking, if you're going to vote in a Democratic primary you should be a registered Democrat, if you're going to vote in a Republican primary you should be a registered Republican.

As for Democratic superdelegates, they exist for a good reason. Or rather, they exist for three good reasons: George McGovern, Walter Mondale, and Michael Dukakis. See, for years the Democrats nominated their most hippy-dippy, left-wing, and generally unelectable candidates they could find, and they lost big. Hell, even Jimmy Carter barely won in 1976 — and that was against the guy who pardoned Nixon. The superdelegate system was put in place to help balance out the party's tendency to pick losers.

But times have changed. The country in general is a lot more liberal than it used to be. None of the guys I listed above could have imagined legalized marijuana or same-sex marriage, for example. So maybe it's time for the system to change again. My guess is that after this year it will. Especially if Hillary loses.

Here's the thing. Are they corrupt? No. As you said, the parties are private organizations. Their primaries aren't actual elections in the sense of them being an official US government political process. It's a way for them to find out who would have the best chance of winning. Are they corrupt though? Well kind of. Not for being closed - where that's a thing - but because they're a very cleverly constructed ruse that allows the establishment to put on an air of democratic process to the rubber stamping of their candidate of choice. It's just accepted as fact by most people that one of the winners of the two big primaries will win the presidency. This is made palatable by the fact that the people (for the most part) "chose" that person. Supposedly. The system was rigged all well and dandy in their favor until they got a little too complacent and now that someone who's able to beat them by their rules has a chance to win it's all on display for everyone to see. Just watch the clip of the unbound delegate explaining that, well no. The person who the people choose isn't necessarily who will wind up winning. Is that the way it's always worked? Yeah, but people were blissfully unaware or just didn't feel the effects of this for the most part and that's exactly what the establishment needed. The machine is breaking down, and the more it breaks the more pieces are colliding with each other causing ruptures in the once near-pristine facade. Is it over for the establishment? It's not over until the fat lady sings, and I don't hear any of your mothers breaking out their Celine Dion impressions. They can still fix it, but now they know more and more people are becoming wise to their game and they'll have to do some overtime to get things back under control. That's the real win right there.

Edited by Shokkou, 04 May 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#33 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:45 AM

Primaries are an inherently flawed system. If we really wanted to do it right, we would have a series of nationwide primaries that would start with a large crop of candidates and eventually whittle it down to one. I'm not sure I'd call the current system a rubber stamp — too many outsiders have been nominated for that to be the case. But they certainly select for a more "palatable" field of candidates, at least most of the time.

Thomas Jefferson warned against political parties. He was probably right.

Member Awards ()

#34 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

Problem is not everyone wants to be a politician

#35 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

Problem is not everyone wants to be a politician

Right. The United States was founded with the idea of "citizen politicians," but the truth is that the world has become too complicated for that. This is why Winston Churchill called democracy the worst form of government except for all the others.

Member Awards ()

#36 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

I don't believe so Jorost. To put it simply I just think it's too hard to do so properly. It's simpler to just go with the flow. Not think about it, and run your own personal rat race.

To what Shokkou was saying, you're very much correct. Call it bread &circus' call it a white lie. It's a farce. As long as people think they can't do anything, or things are "legitimate" they'll stay quiet. We need more anger, more energy in public discourse. We need people to want to overturn the system.

Member Awards ()

#37 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

I don't believe so Jorost. To put it simply I just think it's too hard to do so properly. It's simpler to just go with the flow. Not think about it, and run your own personal rat race.

To what Shokkou was saying, you're very much correct. Call it bread &circus' call it a white lie. It's a farce. As long as people think they can't do anything, or things are "legitimate" they'll stay quiet. We need more anger, more energy in public discourse. We need people to want to overturn the system.

And that's the thing. Trump stirs up anger. Trump energizes. Whether he actually wants to overturn the system or not remains to be seen - as is whether or not he even could if he wanted, which is unlikely in itself. He may not be the hero we need, but if we've let things get this fucked up he sure as hell is the hero we deserve. If nothing else, he will be a monument to the growing frustration the people have with the current establishment for four years. If we, the people, can't get a candidate who's good for us into office then we may as well scorch the earth this election cycle and make sure the establishment doesn't get one of theirs in either.

#38 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

And that's the thing. Trump stirs up anger. Trump energizes. Whether he actually wants to overturn the system or not remains to be seen - as is whether or not he even could if he wanted, which is unlikely in itself. He may not be the hero we need, but if we've let things get this fucked up he sure as hell is the hero we deserve. If nothing else, he will be a monument to the growing frustration the people have with the current establishment for four years. If we, the people, can't get a candidate who's good for us into office then we may as well scorch the earth this election cycle and make sure the establishment doesn't get one of theirs in either.

That moment you agree with Shokkou...

Member Awards ()

#39 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts