• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but this theory as to the plane's fate by an experienced Canadian pilot seems to me to be the most credible one yet.

↑ This is the most reasonable explanation I have heard as well.  The entire article is reprinted in its entirety below.  Read it.  Makes perfect sense.

There has been a lot of speculation about Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. Terrorism, hijacking, meteors. I cannot believe the analysis on CNN; it’s almost disturbing. I tend to look for a simpler explanation, and I find it with the 13,000-foot runway at Pulau Langkawi.

We know the story of MH370: A loaded Boeing 777 departs at midnight from Kuala Lampur, headed to Beijing. A hot night. A heavy aircraft. About an hour out, across the gulf toward Vietnam, the plane goes dark, meaning the transponder and secondary radar tracking go off. Two days later we hear reports that Malaysian military radar (which is a primary radar, meaning the plane is tracked by reflection rather than by transponder interrogation response) has tracked the plane on a southwesterly course back across the Malay Peninsula into the Strait of Malacca.

The left turn is the key here. Zaharie Ahmad Shah1 was a very experienced senior captain with 18,000 hours of flight time. We old pilots were drilled to know what is the closest airport of safe harbor while in cruise. Airports behind us, airports abeam us, and airports ahead of us. They’re always in our head. Always. If something happens, you don’t want to be thinking about what are you going to do–you already know what you are going to do. When I saw that left turn with a direct heading, I instinctively knew he was heading for an airport. He was taking a direct route to Palau Langkawi, a 13,000-foot airstrip with an approach over water and no obstacles. The captain did not turn back to Kuala Lampur because he knew he had 8,000-foot ridges to cross. He knew the terrain was friendlier toward Langkawi, which also was closer.

Take a look at this airport on Google Earth. The pilot did all the right things. He was confronted by some major event onboard that made him make an immediate turn to the closest, safest airport.

When I heard this I immediately brought up Google Earth and searched for airports in proximity to the track toward the southwest.

For me, the loss of transponders and communications makes perfect sense in a fire. And there most likely was an electrical fire. In the case of a fire, the first response is to pull the main busses and restore circuits one by one until you have isolated the bad one. If they pulled the busses, the plane would go silent. It probably was a serious event and the flight crew was occupied with controlling the plane and trying to fight the fire. Aviate, navigate, and lastly, communicate is the mantra in such situations.

There are two types of fires. An electrical fire might not be as fast and furious, and there may or may not be incapacitating smoke. However there is the possibility, given the timeline, that there was an overheat on one of the front landing gear tires, it blew on takeoff and started slowly burning. Yes, this happens with underinflated tires. Remember: Heavy plane, hot night, sea level, long-run takeoff. There was a well known accident in Nigeria of a DC8 that had a landing gear fire on takeoff. Once going, a tire fire would produce horrific, incapacitating smoke. Yes, pilots have access to oxygen masks, but this is a no-no with fire. Most have access to a smoke hood with a filter, but this will last only a few minutes depending on the smoke level. (I used to carry one in my flight bag, and I still carry one in my briefcase when I fly.)

What I think happened is the flight crew was overcome by smoke and the plane continued on the heading, probably on George (autopilot), until it ran out of fuel or the fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed. You will find it along that route–looking elsewhere is pointless.

lang-660.jpg

Ongoing speculation of a hijacking and/or murder-suicide and that there was a flight engineer on board does not sway me in favor of foul play until I am presented with evidence of foul play.

We know there was a last voice transmission that, from a pilot’s point of view, was entirely normal. “Good night” is customary on a hand-off to a new air traffic control. The “good night” also strongly indicates to me that all was OK on the flight deck. Remember, there are many ways a pilot can communicate distress. A hijack code or even transponder code off by one digit would alert ATC that something was wrong. Every good pilot knows keying an SOS over the mike always is an option. Even three short clicks would raise an alert. So I conclude that at the point of voice transmission all was perceived as well on the flight deck by the pilots.

But things could have been in the process of going wrong, unknown to the pilots.

Evidently the ACARS went inoperative some time before. Disabling the ACARS is not easy, as pointed out. This leads me to believe more in an electrical problem or an electrical fire than a manual shutdown. I suggest the pilots probably were not aware ACARS was not transmitting.

As for the reports of altitude fluctuations, given that this was not transponder-generated data but primary radar at maybe 200 miles, the azimuth readings can be affected by a lot of atmospherics and I would not have high confidence in this being totally reliable. But let’s accept for a minute that the pilot may have ascended to 45,000 feet in a last-ditch effort to quell a fire by seeking the lowest level of oxygen. That is an acceptable scenario. At 45,000 feet, it would be tough to keep this aircraft stable, as the flight envelope is very narrow and loss of control in a stall is entirely possible. The aircraft is at the top of its operational ceiling. The reported rapid rates of descent could have been generated by a stall, followed by a recovery at 25,000 feet. The pilot may even have been diving to extinguish flames.

But going to 45,000 feet in a hijack scenario doesn’t make any good sense to me.

Regarding the additional flying time: On departing Kuala Lampur, Flight 370 would have had fuel for Beijing and an alternate destination, probably Shanghai, plus 45 minutes–say, 8 hours. Maybe more. He burned 20-25 percent in the first hour with takeoff and the climb to cruise. So when the turn was made toward Langkawi, he would have had six hours or more hours worth of fuel. This correlates nicely with the Inmarsat data pings being received until fuel exhaustion.

The now known continued flight until time to fuel exhaustion only confirms to me that the crew was incapacitated and the flight continued on deep into the south Indian ocean.

There is no point speculating further until more evidence surfaces, but in the meantime it serves no purpose to malign pilots who well may have been in a struggle to save this aircraft from a fire or other serious mechanical issue. Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah was a hero struggling with an impossible situation trying to get that plane to Langkawi. There is no doubt in my mind. That’s the reason for the turn and direct route. A hijacking would not have made that deliberate left turn with a direct heading for Langkawi. It probably would have weaved around a bit until the hijackers decided where they were taking it.

Surprisingly, none of the reporters, officials, or other pilots interviewed have looked at this from the pilot’s viewpoint: If something went wrong, where would he go? Thanks to Google Earth I spotted Langkawi in about 30 seconds, zoomed in and saw how long the runway was and I just instinctively knew this pilot knew this airport. He had probably flown there many times.

Fire in an aircraft demands one thing: Get the machine on the ground as soon as possible. There are two well-remembered experiences in my memory. The AirCanada DC9 which landed, I believe, in Columbus, Ohio in the 1980s. That pilot delayed descent and bypassed several airports. He didn’t instinctively know the closest airports. He got it on the ground eventually, but lost 30-odd souls. The 1998 crash of Swissair DC-10 off Nova Scotia was another example of heroic pilots. They were 15 minutes out of Halifax but the fire overcame them and they had to ditch in the ocean. They simply ran out of time. That fire incidentally started when the aircraft was about an hour out of Kennedy. Guess what? The transponders and communications were shut off as they pulled the busses.

Get on Google Earth and type in Pulau Langkawi and then look at it in relation to the radar track heading. Two plus two equals four. For me, that is the simple explanation why it turned and headed in that direction. Smart pilot. He just didn’t have the time.

Chris Goodfellow has 20 years experience as a Canadian Class-1 instrumented-rated pilot for multi-engine planes. His theory on what happened to MH370 first appeared on Google+. We’ve copyedited it with his permission.

1CORRECTION 9:40 a.m. Eastern 03/18/14: An editing error introduced a typo in Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah’s name.

For more on Malaysia Airlines flight MH370:

Member Awards ()

#42 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Mysterysolved2.gif

#43 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

Whatever the answer, they were not kidnapped by aliens.

This was my opinion when the story first broke, but recently I've started to wonder. Still I think the most likely explanation is a hijacking by humans.

Still, why would you hijack a big commercial jet like that? Sure you could use it to smuggle drugs; probably most of Colombia's annual output would fit inside. But where would you keep the plane? You need a pretty big airstrip, this isn't a prop plane. So stealing seems unlikely, unless we are now living in the world of Saints Row.

You could use it to get yourself someplace other than your official destination. That's the most common reason for a hijacking, hijacker boards the plane, waves a gun and says "Take me to Tijuana" (or wherever). This probably didn't happen because the plane would have been found by now, even if the hijacker had said "Take me to this isolated location", unless the hijacker was also a psycho and murdered everyone on the plane.

The plane didn't have a midair collision or suddenly explode or anything. Besides the fact that the Boeing 777 series has an excellent safety record, the engine data indicates that the plane flew for at least 4 hours after the transponder was disabled. Which happened right as it was about to cross into Vietnamese airspace.

The latest report says that they're investigating the possibility that it was hijacked by the plane's personnel. That would certainly explain how it was the transponder got disabled at exactly the time it did.

Still, it's weird. If sea pirates had been planning on kidnapping the people on an airliner and ransoming them off, we'd have heard about it by now.

It's a pity Chris Carter has retired, this could have made a terrific episode of The X-Files. B-)

The biggest question is why were these location devices even possible to be turned off??

Most devices have an off switch, and failing that, all devices have a power cord.

Oh absolutely... it would have to have landed at a remote airstrip somewhere. Keeping it hidden would be a hard task, they'd need a hangar of some sorts.

Yep, and it would have to be a big airstrip too. This is a jumbo jet, one of the world's biggest airliners.

But the lack of physical evidence that there was a crash is making me wonder. It's been a week and nothing has turned up. You would think with the amount of ships, boats, planes etc that are transporting things around the world that one of them may have seen some debris by now. I guess there's always the possibility that it crashed on land, but it would have to be some extremely remote location with no population.

And of course they have found plenty of debris, it's just that none of it is from MH370.

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but this theory as to the plane's fate by an experienced Canadian pilot seems to me to be the most credible one yet.

It's an interesting theory, but it doesn't jibe with the 4 hours of engine data being received. According to that, the plane would have flown for six hours or more. Unless the electrical fire destroyed the engine transponder as well.

That theory also answers the question of "Why did the transponder switch off at the exact moment the plane was about to switch jurisdictions?" with "Coincidence." And it supposes an electrical fire in a Boeing 777, as well, a plane with a long history of use and an exceptionally good safety record. I don't know Chris Goodfellow, it's possible he's right, but it's just an interesting theory at this point.

Member Awards ()

#44 Unknown98

Unknown98

Knight & Director of Fun & Games

• 322 posts
  • Ruler Name:Unknown98
  • Nation Name:Ohaui
  • IRC Nick:Unknown98
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

That's certainly a convincing theory.. only thing that bothers me about it is that the plane couldn't fly for hours continually if it was on fire. If it caught on fire after departing malaysia, it would have burned up and crashed much sooner than 4 hours later. The fire would have had to been put out, and maybe the crew was incapacitated from the smoke in order for that to happen.

Also a group of fisherman in some village off of Malaysia said they saw a large jet aircraft fly over low the night of the disappearance. 

And although Malaysia might appear as a 'third world country', the airline itself isn't necessarily unsafe. Since 1995 there have only been two incidents, none of which resulted in injuries. Prior to that there were 3 crashes, two of which resulted in some fatalities. The aircraft they use are the same aircraft major US carriers use, it's not like they're running 30 year old planes. Only difference would be quality of training, etc, which is probably not as good in Malaysia versus the US or European countries. 

Member Awards ()

#45 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I don't understand the big deal here. Airplanes disappear sometimes. It happens.

http://en.wikipedia....ance_Flight_447

#46 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

The Chris Goodfellow theory has been debunked: http://www.bbc.com/n...ambers-26640114

Sorry 'bout that. B-)

Member Awards ()

#47 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

It is pinging, most likely.  But it only has enough battery life for a couple of weeks, and you have to be fairly close to to detect it.  They're currently searching an area of the Indian Ocean the size of Texas.  Those are pretty long odds.  It took two years to find the flight recorder from a French jetliner that crashed into the Atlantic in 2009, and that was a much smaller search area.

They found wrekage of the plane within 5 days, it took 2 years to find the flight recorder from the bottom of the ocean.

Regardless of how big the ocean is, parts are bound to float, and we do have technology there in the bottom of the ocean that could detect something hitting the bottom for the parts that did sink.

We do?  It took 70 years to find the Titanic, and that's a hell of a lot bigger than a plane.  AND we knew where to look.

Oceans are deep and dark places, so took time for technology advances  :P

Member Awards ()

#48 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

They were kidnapped by aliens. 

Member Awards ()

#49 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Fear will keep the local systems people in line. Fear of this battlestation terrorists.

#50 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

I guess I tend to agree with Chax here — I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.  The ocean is huge; planes are small by comparison.  Things a lot bigger than a Boeing 777 disappear into the ocean all the time.

Without being an expert, I still tend to think we are looking at some sort of catastrophic failure here, whether caused by human intervention (i.e. a hijacking that went bad) or some less nefarious disaster.  The Goodfellow theory could still be largely correct if a fire or other cascade failure knocked out major systems.  Perhaps they were flying blind, trying to find someplace to land using landmarks, etc.  The point is that the press has blown this way out of proportion, and is feeding right in to governments' anti-terrorism hysteria.  Replace "terrorist" with "communist" and it could be the Red Scare all over again.

The aircraft in question is twelve years old and has over 53,000 hours of flight time according to Wikipedia.  That's about the same age as the average American airliner.  A quick Google search has been unable to find anything about Malaysia Airlines' maintenance protocols vs. Western nations' airlines, but let's assume that they are comparable.  An aircraft is still a machine, and even the best-maintained machines break sometimes.  If it breaks at 560 mph, six miles above the Indian Ocean, bad stuff is going to happen.

Member Awards ()

#51 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

I don't know which media outlet you are referring to. I've been following this story on the BBC, and they ruled out terrorism in the early going for the simple reason that nobody's claimed responsibility. (Well, except for an obscure Chinese group, but nobody takes them seriously.)

Hijacking is by far the most likely cause now.

Member Awards ()

#52 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

An error in the course correction on a ridiculously long flight using sick/drunk/new/tired pilots who flew too far out, possibly on cruise control, ran out of fuel, and crashed. 

Thing is, when planes crash in the ocean their fuel, which floats on the surface, is present for miles; and as with any oil spill, it's incredibly sticky and nearly impossible to clean up; it also gives off particular UV and infrared signatures that are easy to track. 

With that gone it could mean that they ran out of fuel.

If they accidentally took the wrong flight path it would explain why there was no fuel and why they were so far off target and haven't been found yet. 

Compounded by this are the additional weeks that debris would become saturated with water and stop floating as well as disperse. 

The plane may have broken on impact, but since it two weeks to even get to lower Australia it might mean it's washed away; given the bad weather, they haven't been able to really search much, and it also would mean that it would get spread out more. 

Pilot error or transitioning to a new flight control system could explain it. 

If you're going from say, U.S. systems to Malaysian or Chinese, it's possible for difficulties to develop, even purely as a result of bureaucracy. 

Things are rarely blamed on pilot error. They're extremely well trained, and with most being ex military they're very good at following standard protocol, even tedious stuff, and also tend to be very gung ho and good in general; most airforce pilots are in the top 4%, since only 4% of people in the airforce fly planes, so, typically they're top notch, and airliners pay them ridiculous amounts of money. Most of them take their job very seriously, since a lot can go wrong and hundreds, if not thousands of lives are on the line. Who would want to be the pilot responsible for another terrorist attack; better go down with a fight, right?

That being said, pilot error is not impossible. Especially if there was a really new or old one, mistakes are possible. 

Edited by Manoka, 21 March 2014 - 06:53 PM.

Member Awards ()

#53 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

If it was a hijacking, it was amateur hour.  All the course changes, the sudden climbs and dives, that's not the mark of someone with a lot of training.  Maybe a Flight 93-type situation, where the passengers overwhelmed them, but the plane crashed?

For what it's worth, my gut still says catastrophic system failure with attempted corrections.  But maybe that's just because I kind of like the chilling idea of a plane full of dead people still flying on autopilot.

Member Awards ()

#54 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

Basically, here's the deal on planes disappearing:

Commercial airliners are routinely out of radar contact with airports when flying over oceans. This is because, to make this quick, the earth is round and radar waves cannot follow the curvature of the earth. During the cold war, NORAD and the USSR (among others) both developed Over The Horizon-Backscatter radar systems, one of which is located about 5 hours from me; it's Soviet counterpart, known as the Woodpecker (for the interference noise it created around the world) is actually located at Chernobyl. Thanks Obama.

Anyway, OTH-B radar system, while an extremely long-range system, isn't foolproof, and was augmented by a metric fuckton of other radars to paint a complete picture. Neither the Chernobyl radar nor the one near my house is active anymore, and there are really only a few left working in the world.

Anyway, one of the best ways to find a downed airliner is to follow its footprint; that is, the last report from the plane. Many newer planes, including the 777, have a feature that automatically sends data to the airline's headquarters via satellite in real-time when something goes wrong on the plane. This can be anything from "holy fuck the engine's on fire" to "Tire pressure in tire number 3A is a wee bit low, it should be checked". This enables ground crews to prepare to fix minor issues and minimize turnaround time. With flight 447 back in 2009, they were able to reconstruct approximately when the plane went down and compared that to the last reported location of the plane for a rough area of where the plane could have been. However, not all airlines use the system, and I'm not sure if the airline in question with this current disaster did or not. Regardless, it still leaves a lot of ocean for a plane to disappear in. If the plane broke up in flight, either because of an explosion or because it was simply torn to pieces like the Columbia was, the pieces scatter like high schoolers behind a Safeway when the police roll by and are very difficult to find. Also, metal sinks. While some parts of the aircraft will float, they'll be dispersed throughout the ocean. Even when ships go down, it is often difficult to find the survivors in the water. This is why modern cruise-liners have GPS trackers on every lifeboat, automatic GPS distress beacons that go off if the ship goes underwater, and huge magnets on the front/back of the lifeboats so they can chain together to be more visible. That's a side-note, though. Let me tell you about boats.

When you combine the lack of radar coverage with the vast area in which the plane could have been dispersed, the odds of it being found aren't exactly great. They'll find something eventually, but I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything stupid like that. I also am sort of appalled at media insinuations that it could have been a bomb because there were two Muslim men on board, but that's another story altogether.

#55 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

It's extremely unlikely to have been a bomb. The plane was recorded by military radar long after its transponders were turned off. If it had been blown up in midair, that wouldn't have happened.

There were probably a lot more than two Muslim men on board. This is Malaysia Airlines, after all. B-)

Member Awards ()

#56 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

I would guess that most of the passengers were probably Muslim.  Or at the very least a substantial portion.

Member Awards ()

#57 Nicholas Aydeyev

Nicholas Aydeyev
  • Former Member
  • 21 posts
  • Ruler Name:Nicholas Aydeyev
  • Nation Name:Deronia
  • IRC Nick:NickAyd
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. Forst, the fact the plane vanished from radar and is yet to be found. Then the "A:right, good night" message? That is just downright creepy.

#58 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

They said, "Alright, goodnight," and then signed off.  It was shortly afterward that they lost contact.

Member Awards ()

#59 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Seven leading theories on the disappearance.

I'd like to add another:  North Korean super weapon. 

Member Awards ()

#60 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Seven leading theories on the disappearance.

I'd like to add another:  North Korean super weapon. 

I'd like to add another: pilot was a vocal critic of the Malaysian government and supporter of the jailed opposition leader. Considering how terribly Malaysia's handled things, allow me to add, 'deliberate shootdown.'

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users