• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

I think it will be good. As I've said, my quibbles are really just that — quibbles. Abrams has a good track record, and he is well aware of the nerdrage over some of the dumber aspects of the modern SW franchise (coughcoughjarjarbinkscoughcough). I'm excited about it, and it's been a long time since I could say that about a movie. If it's anything like I expect/hope, we are about to enter a golden age of geek filmdom, what with Star Wars and the stellar Marvel cinematic franchise.

Member Awards ()

#42 DaFuzzy

DaFuzzy
  • Former Member
  • 476 posts
  • Ruler Name:DaFuzzy
  • Nation Name:Fuzztopia
  • IRC Nick:Da_Fuzzy
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

Darth Maul's double saber was just two single sabers joined end to end. Each presumably contained its own separate crystal and power source.

The crossguard thing is dumb. The wielder would slash his own forearm to ribbons. It's just a gimmicky ooh-look-what-we-can-do moment. But whatever. It's just a movie. Whether it's good or bad won't be because of the crossguard.

Actually that light saber has a background its not something they pulled out of their ass. http://starwars.wiki...uard_lightsaber . Also you would swing more like claymore so no your forearm wouldn't be ribbons. 

don't know why people making such a big deal about this. 

If it's anything like I expect/hope, we are about to enter a golden age of geek filmdom, what with Star Wars and the stellar Marvel cinematic franchise.

Fuck Marvel!
Signed, DC Fanboy

#43 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Whether it has a history or not, it's still dumb.

The DC movies, other than the Batman franchise, have uniformly sucked. Hopefully they can pull their act together. I'd love to see a well done Justice League.

Member Awards ()

#44 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

What's good from DC again?

Member Awards ()

#45 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

I seriously doubt any golden age of geek anything. It's all mainstream bullshit, just like the usual. Except now it's cool to pretend to be geeks, meanwhile us real outsiders get more and more annoyed at our stuff being subverted by the shitty, shitty culture change.

I don't like the new Star Trek, it's not Star Trek. I doubt I'll like the new Star Wars, because from that trailer, it's not Star Wars. I don't like BBC sci fi, it's practically all tripe dressed up as caviar. And I certainly don't like Marvel... cause comics suck >.>;

Well, actually, that might be a golden age of geek stuff. It's just not the Age of Redezra. I am the Empress of Hipsterdom after all.

#46 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

Justice league, Batman, that type of thing. xP

Member Awards ()

#47 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

Red, all the stuff that is now mainstream was outsider stuff once. I am in my glory.

Member Awards ()

#48 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

"That type of thing".

Add Superman, which everyone knows, and make note that Batman & Superman are the two big forces in the Justice league, and (DC) has what else?

I know of Green, Scared of Yellow, Lantern, and Wonder, I'm a role model, Women. But nothing else as far as being popular and successful, or in my opinion, anywhere close to getting there.

Member Awards ()

#49 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

I seriously doubt any golden age of geek anything. It's all mainstream bullshit, just like the usual. Except now it's cool to pretend to be geeks, meanwhile us real outsiders get more and more annoyed at our stuff being subverted by the shitty, shitty culture change.

I don't like the new Star Trek, it's not Star Trek. I doubt I'll like the new Star Wars, because from that trailer, it's not Star Wars. I don't like BBC sci fi, it's practically all tripe dressed up as caviar. And I certainly don't like Marvel... cause comics suck >.>;

Well, actually, that might be a golden age of geek stuff. It's just not the Age of Redezra. I am the Empress of Hipsterdom after all.

I don't really into this stuff. I feel I'm not as expereienced, or cultured, or educated to make such opinions, but I find a lot of it to be trash too.

However, if you think everything is trash; is there any room for love?

What is the hipster Redezra consuming media wise? What type of content?

Member Awards ()

#50 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

DC: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (he's not "afraid" of yellow, but due to a flaw in the green power ring's crystal its energy cannot directly affect items in certain shades of yellow; this would not prevent GL from indirectly affecting something yellow, however, such as lifting a giant rock and squashing it), the Flash, Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Teen Titans, Plastic Man, Lobo, Hawkman (and Hawkgirl), Aquaman, Blue Beetle, Martian Manhunter, Deathstroke, Captain Marvel, and many, many others.

Member Awards ()

#51 DaFuzzy

DaFuzzy
  • Former Member
  • 476 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:22 PM

DC also has Dial H, and some other less popular but good comics. So yes DC has a lot to offer so. DC is a whole lot darker than Marvel and more realistic and is less on overpowered super heroes (which are nice not my cup of tea). DC just can't get movies made right. The material is there its just hard to take it and make it into a movie without making it bubble gum pop.

#52 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

DC also has Dial H, and some other less popular but good comics. So yes DC has a lot to offer so. DC is a whole lot darker than Marvel and more realistic and is less on overpowered super heroes (which are nice not my cup of tea). DC just can't get movies made right. The material is there its just hard to take it and make it into a movie without making it bubble gum pop.

What's "bubble gum pop"?

I'm curious as to how you define it/what you think it is.

Member Awards ()

#53 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

DC: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (he's not "afraid" of yellow, but due to a flaw in the green power ring's crystal its energy cannot directly affect items in certain shades of yellow; this would not prevent GL from indirectly affecting something yellow, however, such as lifting a giant rock and squashing it), the Flash, Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Teen Titans, Plastic Man, Lobo, Hawkman (and Hawkgirl), Aquaman, Blue Beetle, Martian Manhunter, Deathstroke, Captain Marvel, and many, many others.

I actually knew of quite a number of those (and that thing with the yellow, I was of course joking).

But which of those are actually culturally relevant? Now, no one gave two shits about Iron Man before the movie, so it doesn't have to stay that way forever, but I was jesting at how little DC has developed their characters/utilized them, other than the big two (who, to be fair, really are huge).

EDIT: I edited this post a few times.

Edited by KiWi, 03 December 2014 - 10:39 PM.

Member Awards ()

#54 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

"That type of thing".

Add Superman, which everyone knows, and make note that Batman & Superman are the two big forces in the Justice league, and (DC) has what else?

I know of Green, Scared of Yellow, Lantern, and Wonder, I'm a role model, Women. But nothing else as far as being popular and successful, or in my opinion, anywhere close to getting there.

Considering Batman and Superman are internationally recognized symbols while say wolverine is not, it is kind of a big deal, but! 

Justice league has been pretty popular. DC did Teen Titans and slade and whatnot, there's the watchmen. In the Batman and Superman stuff, there was the Joker, Lex Luthor, other popular characters like that, pssft idk. 

I mean, I personally like both, but with marvel it's X-men, the avengers, and a few others that are popular. 

Edited by Manoka, 03 December 2014 - 10:46 PM.

Member Awards ()

#55 DaFuzzy

DaFuzzy
  • Former Member
  • 476 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:54 PM

What's "bubble gum pop"?

I'm curious as to how you define it/what you think it is.

I actually knew of quite a number of those (and that thing with the yellow, I was of course joking).

But which of those are actually culturally relevant? Now, no one gave two shits about Iron Man before the movie, so it doesn't have to stay that way forever, but I was jesting at how little DC has developed their characters/utilized them, other than the big two (who, to be fair, really are huge).

EDIT: I edited this post a few times.

Bubble gum pop is in reference to comics is when they take things that should be dark and meaningful and turn it into mindless kiddy dribble to the masses. Like they did with the X-Men movies (not the newer ones, like First Class), and also Batman and Robin Returns.....fuck nipple Batman. 

Second super heroes have always been culturally relevant, and have been part of society for some time now. Even Aquaman is relevant even though for negative reason ( because some people can't pick up and read the New 52 Aquaman). The only reason it seems that they are now becoming relevant is because people can share more information and opinions via the internet. Comics and Super Heroes have been relevant since WWII using Anti-Nazi propaganda.

To DC you need to pick up the comic and not have it be spoon feed you via movies and other things. The reason Batman and Superman sales is because they are their poster boys, just like Marvel has Spiderman and the X-Mex. Only in the past decade has Marvel been exploring some of their other characters and letting people look into the Marvel Universe. DC is in some regard still more paper than big screen to be able to fully understand its universe.

#56 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:54 PM

Now, no one gave two shits about Iron Man before the movie

Iron Man was one of their most popular and important characters long before the movie.

"Bubble gum pop" is a term used by pretentious people to deride stuff they think is beneath them. :P

Member Awards ()

#57 DaFuzzy

DaFuzzy
  • Former Member
  • 476 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Iron Man was one of their most popular and important characters long before the movie.

"Bubble gum pop" is a term used by pretentious people to deride stuff they think is beneath them. :P

Look I'm sorry when it comes to comics I become an elitist. It comes with the territory, and many of arguments are had in good fun because of it. 

#58 KiWi

KiWi

• 6060 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

I understand I'm making wide, sweeping, bold claims;

but come on! I'm being dismissive, because that's the average person. You talk about how Super Hero movies are a new thing. How that part of geekery (geekdom) is becoming more mainstream. With the Iron Man movie, Iron Man became mainstream. You can talk about it openly. With anyone. It wasn't like that before. Comic books are for 7-12 year old boys. They're pulp fiction. Rot your mind!

And yea, that's my general understanding of the term. Cutesy, mass appeal stuff. For music, it originally referred to humourus (pop) songs, in the... 60s? Something like that. I had heard the term before having that (limited) understanding, and have used it myself to describe things beneath myself, or certain generic "it's popular" things. Sometimes in a good way like "I like to relax to bubble gum pop. It's catchy".

Member Awards ()

#59 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

Marvel sold millions of Iron Man comics, toys, and other products decades before the movie ever came out. In fact, one could argue that the movie was made specifically because the character was relevant. A lot of contemporary filmmakers grew up feasting on this stuff the same way I did. Something need not be universally recognized to be culturally relevant. But yeah, Superman and Batman are much more well-established characters, obviously. The fact that they're 30+ years older than the Marvel characters (except Captain America and a tiny handful of others who predate Marvel) probably has a lot to do with it. Still for all that they haven't been able to make a successful Superman movie since Christopher Reeve.

As for bubble gum pop, I would point out that the Beatles were once dismissed as such. Ditto Tin Pan Alley and everything ever written in the Brill Building at one time or another.

Member Awards ()

#60 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:13 AM

It's not really dragging people over to the geeky side, it's taking geeky stuff and de-geekifying it. That has it's own merits, but it drops most of it's appeal. You might be fine with it Jorost, but it makes me feel even more left out in the cold. People have come and taken all my things away.

Kiwi, I used to watch anime quite a bit, which is why I was in SOS-dan back when it was a thing. I also watched a lot of documentaries, back before the days of Storage Wars, Oddities, Miami Ink, Ice Road Truckers, and so on, when they actually were documentaries about things and not so much thinly veiled reality TV. Mythbusters was not the first documentary series, it was the last.

These days, I usually have AlJazeera or ABC News24 on in the background as white noise, while I surf the net, read books, or indulge my own creativity by writing programs, stories, or building things, or something like that. Sites I surf are mostly high density data stuff. Hacker News, software patch notes, space news, politics, scientific advancements, various forums and messageboards, that sort of thing. No clickbait or silly comedy stuff for me. I consume vaaaast quantities of information, I read insanely fast, and I don't understand how people can sit and watch what amounts to nothing for no gain. It takes too long, and rewards nearly nothing. I also read books :3 Mostly sci-fi with a bend toward cyberpunk and dystopian futures with deep socio-political commentary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users