• 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

Love it

Edited by Alyster, 30 September 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#2 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

He should have just killed the kid. Would have saved himself and the universe a lot of tragedy.

Member Awards ()

#3 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

He should have just killed the kid. Would have saved himself and the universe a lot of tragedy.

It's a loop of time logic: If he kills the boy the world will not know Daleks and Doctor in alternative timeline will not know why he has to kill the boy.

Anyway very strong opening for a season. 

Also very nice shot of when Doctor says "Tell me the name of the boy who isn't going to die today"

Edited by Alyster, 30 September 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#4 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

I thought the first half was better than the second. The story kind of unraveled, like they didn't know where to go with it. And the rock star bit was stupid.

I like Missy a lot. Have they ever explained how the Master came to be female? If so I must have missed it.

Member Awards ()

#5 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

Nah, should have been super nice to the kid. Wouldn't have gone completely batshit insane if he was bros with the Doctor

But alas, yet more evidence for my belief that the doctor is literally the reason any of this happens, and he's doing it to pick up chicks. Ergo, the Unlikeable Asshole Doctor Theory. I actually have followers now :D

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

He also wouldn't go batshit insane if he was reduced to ashes. Just sayin'.

Member Awards ()

#7 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:03 AM

AFAIK Master just regenerated into a female form. Missy has hinted in text that Doctor has done the same in his early years back in Gallifrey. 

#8 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

AFAIK Master just regenerated into a female form. Missy has hinted in text that Doctor has done the same in his early years back in Gallifrey. 

Yeah, I don't like that. It makes no sense. It would throw the entire Gallifreyan civilization into chaos. Plus why would the Doctor have been male all this time? 12 regenerations and he never once came out female? If it's random he should have been a woman at least a few times. And if it's controlled, well, we already know that the Doctor cannot control his regenerations as some Time Lords can. Besides, he can't have been a female at any point in his history because they have explicitly stated, on numerous occasions, that the first Doctor was the first Doctor; there is no place for another incarnation to fit in. And Matt Smith's incarnation was the last of his original 13, there is no room for another "mystery" incarnation like the War Doctor.

No. Unacceptable. They need to come up with a better explanation.

I'm really starting to dislike Steven Moffat.

Member Awards ()

#9 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Yeah a lot of mistakes slipped in already:

1) Master's sex change

2) When Clara controlled the Dalek she started talking "OKay this is a bit wierd". Later the metal case censored OKay to usual Dalek "affermitive" like it censored everything

3) Clara was unable to say "I am a human" instead the suit changed it into "I am a Dalek". While it was hilarious on so many levels, Clara Oswald in her first appearance in the "Asylum of Daleks" was converted into a proper Dalek yet she was able to say "I am a human. [...] Run you clever boy and remember" while Dalek Clara saved the Doctor. 

4) Asylum of Daleks and Dalek sweres don't mix and match very well.

5) In Asylum of Daleks there was a Dalek parliament with a Prime Minister or whatever. That's absurd. Daleks have Dalek Supreme. 

6) Dalek Prime minister stated that exterminating such beautiful hatred is offensive to Daleks. In S5E3 Resurection of Daleks the new appropriate Daleks after being reborn exterminated old flawed Daleks immidietly. 

7) In S8E4 "Listen" Clara traveled back in time to Doctor's childhood and grabbed his foot under the bed. Yet Gallifrey is missing from space-time O.o

8) Missy channeling Dalek weapon energy into teleport just made all energy based weapons useless in all time and space. Good luck to Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans on building bows and arrows.

9) In S9E2 when Missy and Clara start heading back to the city on Skaro, they state they have only a pointy stick as a weapon. What on earth did they carve it with and where did they get the wood?

10) In Season 8 Dalek voculbulary was controlled by supressing the Dalek's emotions. When the emotion supressing was turned off one Dalek turned "good". In Season 9 the suit controls whatever you say. 

11) In Evolution of Daleks the Cult of Skaro (the most open minded Daleks by design) exterminated the hybrid Dalek. In Season 9 all Daleks seemed to like the upgrade and becoming the hybrid. Basically Daleks went against their main principle - they stoped seeing themselves as pure and only worthy life form and wanted to change themselves. Big no no, for a proper Dalek.

That's why it's called fiction. 

Edited by Alyster, 01 October 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#10 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

In my opinion, the Doctor is just really stupid. Seriously, half these problems could been solved by having body armor or a gun, but he decides not to. Or heck, a few hundred pounds of explosives, which he could easily store in side of his mini pocket dimension he keeps in his jackets. Even a timespace distortion force field.

Everyone thinks the Doctor is super smart, but he's really just like 900 years old (or 1100) and is exposed to huge swaths of highly advanced alien races. Imagine the youth educated 400 years ago to the youth now that learns calculus in highschool. They didn't know what the stars were, what the sun was, what gravity was, any of it, that bacterium existed, how their bodies worked etc. Now almost everyone does, we know about things that was being invented at the time, by Newton, even certain forms of math. Imagine if you were educated for 100 years on future knowledge, how smart you would appear, then. 

But his processing skills are shit. He's only smart, relative to other species or humans, deep down he's kind of an imbecile. 

He wants to run around timespace having fun but instead gets caught up in moral scenarios and doesn't have any preparation. After all these years you think he would have said "maybe a gun or some body armor is a good thing to invest in to", but nooo... If anything just to fight off animals or something in case they come around. Hey, this gun can also be used to assassinate Space Hitler, what a great idea! But, nope. Can't use guns. Or logic. Outside of his repertoire. 

Maybe he's just insane. 

Member Awards ()

#11 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, I don't like that. It makes no sense. It would throw the entire Gallifreyan civilization into chaos. Plus why would the Doctor have been male all this time? 12 regenerations and he never once came out female? If it's random he should have been a woman at least a few times. And if it's controlled, well, we already know that the Doctor cannot control his regenerations as some Time Lords can. Besides, he can't have been a female at any point in his history because they have explicitly stated, on numerous occasions, that the first Doctor was the first Doctor; there is no place for another incarnation to fit in. And Matt Smith's incarnation was the last of his original 13, there is no room for another "mystery" incarnation like the War Doctor.

I take offence to the highlighted. What's wrong with having multigendered Time Lords?

As for every other reason provided... yeaaaaaaaah, To be honest, I've been told by a couple of Doctor fans over here that these big discrepancies with regards to lore are terminal to the series. They're not sure how they can carry on from this

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:36 AM

It would throw their civilization into chaos because they have already established that Time Lords have "traditional" nuclear families like humans. So what happens when your mother turns into a man, or your husband into a woman? Plus we've met several Time Lords over the course of the series, some in more than one incarnation, and never once has it ever been said or suggested that they switch gender regularly.

On the other hand, there's nothing to say that they don't have some technology or other means by which they can alter their gender and otherwise "mess with" regenerations under special circumstances. In one of the original show's episodes, the Time Lady Romana experimented with several bodies (all female, including one non-human looking) before settling on a new incarnation. Since it seems unlikely that a Time Lord would waste a bunch of regenerations for vanity, it has always been assumed by fans that she was using some other means to "try on" forms before she settled on one.

I like the Master as a woman, and I even like the coy way they haven't really explained it. But I don't like the idea that it's just a random thing, and that with every regeneration there's a 50/50 chance of being male or female. It would fly in the face of too much established continuity. But I can accept the idea that in some cases it has been known to happen.

Bottom line, the show has always played fast and loose with continuity. And it's a time travel show, so they can always fall back on the expedient that the timeline has been altered and as a result what was formerly true has changed (e.g. all the stuff with the Daleks). It has also been strongly suggested that the Time War changed things and messed with history. Finally, remember that the show takes place over a period covering millions of years -- plenty of room for different, even contradictory, periods in a species' history.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff and all that. :)

(We need a TARDIS emoticon.)

Member Awards ()

#13 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

...and we haven't even mentioned the infamous "the Doctor is half human!" revelation from the Doctor Who TV movie (which is part of the established continuity)! That little gem has been completely ignored since then.

Member Awards ()

#14 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

Controlled regeneration is possible with the help of Sisterhood of Karn. 4thDoctor.gif CybermanDlt.gifWeepingAngela.gifTARDIS.gif

Edited by Alyster, 02 October 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#15 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

I wish I could live forever and regenerate. Emo_zpsoqzza1dt.gif

Member Awards ()

#16 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

I thought because the master ran out of regenerations, he was in essense body snatching so could be any gender he wants?

Probably wrong as not massively into Doctor Who accepted history.

Member Awards ()

#17 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

I thought because the master ran out of regenerations, he was in essense body snatching so could be any gender he wants?

Probably wrong as not massively into Doctor Who accepted history.

Actually not too far off. The Master ran through his original twelve regenerations when the Doctor was still on his 4th incarnation (Tom Baker). After that he used mental powers to possess a body and implant his consciousness in it. This was the Anthony Ainley Master of the 1980s:

85751515_133028020697.jpg

In the episode The Five Doctors the Master was promised a new slate of regenerations by the Time Lords in exchange for his help, and although it was never explicitly stated, the general assumption is that he got them, because he seemed to possess a Time Lord body again, years later, when the Daleks captured and "executed" him in the Doctor Who TV movie (starring Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor). He survived this through trickery once again, but did not possess a Time Lord body (he was back to body snatching). When next we see him it is many years later (the 10th Doctor's time), and he is living as Professor Yana, a human, his real identity hidden, even from himself, by a chameleon arch. Eventually the truth comes out and the Master regenerates into his Harold Saxon form. How he got a Time Lord body back has never been explained, but presumably it had something to do with the Time War. The Saxon incarnation seemingly died and took all his remaining regenerations with him, and I do not know the details of how he came to be in the Missy form, but from the dialog in the show it seems that this is, once again, a Time Lord (or Time Lady) body.

Member Awards ()

#18 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

Controlled regeneration is possible with the help of Sisterhood of Karn. 4thDoctor.gif CybermanDlt.gifWeepingAngela.gifTARDIS.gif

But that only happened once (8th Doctor to War Doctor). Anyway the Sisterhood are unlikely to help the Master.

Member Awards ()

#19 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

Actually not too far off.

I do not know the details of how he came to be in the Missy form, but from the dialog in the show it seems that this is, once again, a Time Lord (or Time Lady) body.

Ah I thought I was sort of right, when the family are talking about the different episodes when on, the information must sink in when I zone out from the geekness. :P

Going off what you told me and the first episode of the series, you would think the master is a time lord as s/he told the daleks that s/he could use the Tardis...

Don't you have to be a time lord to use a Tardis?

Member Awards ()

#20 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

Actually not too far off.

I do not know the details of how he came to be in the Missy form, but from the dialog in the show it seems that this is, once again, a Time Lord (or Time Lady) body.

Don't you have to be a time lord to use a Tardis?

Counter point: River Song.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users