• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

In the UK a lot of the Middle East protests (the so called Arab Spring) was shown as a protest mainly due to food prices. My opinion is just that these people now feel empowered so there will be a lot more protests in the next few years.

Interesting that you mention the cause of the riots, just today on the BBC there was another explanation of the cause of revolutions - http://news.bbc.co.u...000/9757181.stm

So maybe the Americans here should be wary of 2020.

Of course, any outside observer can see that the current distribution of wealth and work in the USA is untenable. There will be a people's revolution. It will be hillarious.

#82 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Of course, any outside observer can see that the current distribution of wealth and work in the USA is untenable. There will be a people's revolution. It will be hillarious.

I don't think so. I think we're going to get there in stages, and without any widespread civil unrest. Maybe regionally, but no worse than, say, the Civil Rights movement, or the antiwar protests in the late 60s and early 70s. Which is not to say those times didn't get violent, because they absolutely did. But society didn't crumble, the government didn't fall. Just shaken up a bit. That's what I imagine the next decade or two might bring on the path to a more Euro-style social order.

This is why the right hates Obama so much. They can smell this in the air just as much as I can, and they know it spells their doom. It's not Obama, it's the path he represents. Even if he is re-elected, which stills seems likely despite his dismal debate performance, Obama will not turn the country into Norway in his second term. But Obamacare will have taken full effect, and if things go well and there is a Democratic Congress in 2014, maybe in his last couple of years they get a public option added to it. But it's hard to see it going much further than that.

But who knows what will happen under Hillary? :grin:

Member Awards ()

#83 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

WHEN IS THIS THREAD GONNA DIE!?

Posted Image

Member Awards ()

#84 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Stop worrying about it and just let it happen. Just like Cub Scout camp.

Member Awards ()

#85 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

I don't think so. I think we're going to get there in stages, and without any widespread civil unrest. Maybe regionally, but no worse than, say, the Civil Rights movement, or the antiwar protests in the late 60s and early 70s. Which is not to say those times didn't get violent, because they absolutely did. But society didn't crumble, the government didn't fall. Just shaken up a bit. That's what I imagine the next decade or two might bring on the path to a more Euro-style social order.

This is why the right hates Obama so much. They can smell this in the air just as much as I can, and they know it spells their doom. It's not Obama, it's the path he represents. Even if he is re-elected, which stills seems likely despite his dismal debate performance, Obama will not turn the country into Norway in his second term. But Obamacare will have taken full effect, and if things go well and there is a Democratic Congress in 2014, maybe in his last couple of years they get a public option added to it. But it's hard to see it going much further than that.

But who knows what will happen under Hillary? :grin:

Ruining all my hopes and dreams :<

#86 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts