not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

Micheal brown was high on marijuana, and after robbing a store, was approached by a cop, and rather than playing it cool and pretending like he didn't know anything, freaked out and assaulted the cop, trying to steal his firearm, which automatically escalated the situation far beyond what simply admitting to stealing a 50 dollar cigarillo would do; hell, he could even apologize and offer to return it and maybe get off with a warning

Got rid of the irrelevant part for ya.

When people are on drugs, it often messes with their brain, and alters their sense of rationality. Same reason it makes it hard to drive and operate heavy machinery. 

dude being high is going to make you want to go away from the cops not at them, so as i said..  irrelevant.

Member Awards ()

#22 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:32 AM

Micheal brown was high on marijuana, and after robbing a store, was approached by a cop, and rather than playing it cool and pretending like he didn't know anything, freaked out and assaulted the cop, trying to steal his firearm, which automatically escalated the situation far beyond what simply admitting to stealing a 50 dollar cigarillo would do; hell, he could even apologize and offer to return it and maybe get off with a warning

When people are on drugs, it often messes with their brain, and alters their sense of rationality. Same reason it makes it hard to drive and operate heavy machinery. 

dude being high is going to make you want to go away from the cops not at them, so as i said..  irrelevant.

Usually, but I imagine this get freaked out quite a bit >.<

It can happen D:

Member Awards ()

#23 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

It can happen D:

Proof that Manoka has never smoked weed.

/thread

Member Awards ()

#24 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

It can happen D:

/thread

Member Awards ()

#25 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

It can happen D:

/thread

It doesn't really take more than common sense to know that drugs make people do crazy things they wouldn't otherwise. Putting him into an irrational state of mind likely contributed to the way he responded. Unless you're suggesting drugs don't make people more susceptible to doing stupid things? 

Edited by Manoka, 26 November 2014 - 05:38 PM.

Member Awards ()

#26 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

As a pothead I can 100% assure you drugs make people do stupid shit.
However.
I've never burned one then thought "hey lets steal some blunts and attack a cop."

Member Awards ()

#27 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

As a pothead I can 100% assure you drugs make people do stupid shit.
However.
I've never burned one then thought "hey lets steal some blunts and attack a cop."

However, you might be more inclined to, than normal. xP

Member Awards ()

#28 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:54 PM

just saw that the NYT published the cop's address. really? really?

Member Awards ()

#29 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:26 AM

Good job there.

#30 Dre4mwe4ver

Dre4mwe4ver

Screaming Red Ass

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 729 posts
  • BJ Points:2
  • Ruler Name:Dre4mwe4ver
  • Nation Name:Fidensgen
  • IRC Nick:Dre4mwe4ver
  • Alliance Name:GATO
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

tl;dr - Regardless what you think about the incident itself... wtf, mass media?

Member Awards ()

#31 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:06 AM

Meanwhile in Cleveland.....

Member Awards ()

#32 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

yes, justa, and also in that case, it was warranted.

Member Awards ()

#33 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

In the case of the Rice shooting it looks justified. A terrible tragedy, but justified. How would anyone know it wasn't a real gun? That kid was stupid.

In the Brown case I don't know what happened, because the eyewitness testimony is conflicting, and because the physical evidence can be made to fit any number of situations. What I will say is this: Whatever Officer Darren Wilson did, he acted according to his training. The system trains these guys to be killers — isn't it being a little disingenuous of us to punish individuals when they are?

The system is seriously fucked up. That's not Darren Wilson's fault. His police career is over regardless, so if there was any concern about him being out on the street, it is allayed. Justice, such as it is, has been served.

Funny how justice always ends with a white guy getting away with killing a black kid, though. And people are starting to notice, I think. That's what all those demonstrations in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, etc., were all about. This doesn't feel like justice. But it seems to have fizzled out. Maybe the Thanksgiving holiday interrupted it. Still, the interval between incident and outrage is shrinking. The next one will be upon us before we know it.

Member Awards ()

#34 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

yes, justa, and also in that case, it was warranted.

I am aware. Still the dispatcher even said it was likely a fake and no warning before the shot was fired.

Member Awards ()

#35 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

In the case of the Rice shooting it looks justified. A terrible tragedy, but justified. How would anyone know it wasn't a real gun? That kid was stupid.

In the Brown case I don't know what happened, because the eyewitness testimony is conflicting, and because the physical evidence can be made to fit any number of situations. What I will say is this: Whatever Officer Darren Wilson did, he acted according to his training. The system trains these guys to be killers — isn't it being a little disingenuous of us to punish individuals when they are?

The system is seriously fucked up. That's not Darren Wilson's fault. His police career is over regardless, so if there was any concern about him being out on the street, it is allayed. Justice, such as it is, has been served.

Funny how justice always ends with a white guy getting away with killing a black kid, though. And people are starting to notice, I think. That's what all those demonstrations in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, etc., were all about. This doesn't feel like justice. But it seems to have fizzled out. Maybe the Thanksgiving holiday interrupted it. Still, the interval between incident and outrage is shrinking. The next one will be upon us before we know it.

Yeah... they're not really trained to be "killers", per say; there's some 400 police homicides a year, which while tragic, means you're about as likely to be struck by lighting as you are to be killed by police (although you're an 1/8th as likely to be killed by lightning). They don't really kill people that often. 

As for the evidence, it conflicts with the idea that he was shot in the back or that he didn't attack the cop at all, so we kind of know that's not the case, and that the conflicting witness testimony is more or less false; in addition, his finger prints were found on the gun, and among other things, the story of the officer was corroborated with multiple witnesses at the scene, more or less meaning that the story the kids told was at least stretched or altered, and the story the other people told matches up with the evidence and the officer's statements. 

Member Awards ()

#36 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

Member Awards ()

#37 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

Reactions to pot are almost as varied as reactions to alcohol.

Member Awards ()

#38 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Ehh... Yeah, they're varied, but the vast majority of the time reactions to both pot and alcohol fall within a fairly narrow range.

Anyway the situation has moved far beyond Ferguson now. I can't believe we haven't been talking about what's been going on, what with all the protests happening across the country in the wake of the Eric Garner case in New York City. I am surprised it lasted so long, but I wonder if the weather and the end of the semester will bring an end to it all?

Member Awards ()

#39 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:57 AM

Sadly, the case of Eric Garner has been blown out even more, but it's even more flimsy. While shooting an unarmed man to death could be seen as pretty sketchy, Eric Garner died of a heart attack as police tried to arrest him using a hand-to-hand combat submission hold. Tragic, but blaming that on the police becomes even more difficult, yet it's had an even stronger response. 

It seems that the more there is a maybe, the more controversial it becomes, and thus the stronger the opposing response is. 

Edited by Manoka, 14 December 2014 - 09:58 AM.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users