• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:26 AM

To be honest, I was being a bit contrarion, but, my main point is if the state started to recognize gay marriage, it wouldn't really qualify as a revolution. The LGBT community was helped by the civil rights movements, since discrimination on a large amount of criteria effectively became illegal, and those who practiced it could be sent to court for it. It's no longer where you can't walk on the same side of the street as the other people, it's just to where something fairly arbitrary isn't recognized. What is marriage, exactly, and what does it do? Technically, the government isn't supposed to be involved, as they don't get into such affairs of the people, so all they're really supposed to do is record marriages, not determine them, although it's often seen that way. While I support gay marriage, and don't want to trivialize it as an issue, I just mean to express the magnitude of the other pressing issues which had far more profound effects (like being able ot vote, not be property, have your votes matter etc.), and what gay marriage is, which is largely symbolic. Saying that you can have what he has, even if it's largely unimportant, to show equality and non-preferential treatment.

Marriage, recognized by the state, was never intended to be a right, since the government does not, or is supposed to not, grant you the right of marriage (separation of church and state and all that). In fact, it's poorly defined all together; it's why many liberal leaning countries, like Australia, still don't have gay marriage, it's mostly due to logistics. It's important to also note that you can't legalize gay marriage, since it technically isn't illegal. We don't normal expect titles to be given to people in modern society, like Knight, or Bishop, but much like Doctor, that's all it really is, so it becomes weird to mess with. Today, the only possible purpose of it, legally, is via the tax implications, which more or less count you as a single person. It helps to explain how a stay at home spouse suddenly got 40,000 dollars to spend, and how it wasn't from a robbery or anything, they got it from their partner. Marriage is already so illy defined, by the state, that, changing the marriage to reflect something new begs the question, what is it really here for? The only obvious legal ramifications of it are more or less for tax purposes. In fact, that's all it's for. The government never intended to recognize all marriage, as with people marrying their golf clubs or baseball gloves, or like with polygamy. We could recognize polygamy, but what that means is now that ultrarich people could spread out their money over potentially millions in religious cults where everyone is married, and get out of paying taxes as if they were in a higher income bracket, after it washes out over everyone (marriage, right now, is as such taht if you make say, 100,000 a year, and your wife stays at home, you only get taxed if you were making 50,000 a year, or half that money; so, with 1 million people, each making an average of 50,000 a year, or say half at 20,000 and half at 80,000, they'd be taxed as if they made 50,000 a year, or were in a middle class income tax bracket). You also have to remember that corporations legally count as people, too. Saying a man and a woman differentiates the idea of people, who legally count as a whole lot of things, from trusts to corporations, and thus also have lots of money which can be spread out. For tax benefits, now corporations could go out and get married in the thousands. The ideas of what can happen next are pretty startling. So, what then, we ban polygamy for the rich? 

The only fair thing to do, at this point, is to define two forms of marriages, one for tax purposes, and one for symbolic names, since people are only looking for legitimacy by the government in their marriages anyways, since a person determines if they are married or not, not the government. Legally, love doesn't even need to be a part of marriage. Domestic partnerships between roomates could be platonic, as well. 

It's a far more complex issue when we consider that marriage by the state's only real purpose is for tax issues. And changing it would be like taking 1 step forward and 3 steps back, since it's really not supposed to exist in the first place. It was never intended to recognize all marriages or unions between people, just make it easier on the government and the people who were in typical relationships. On and on, it becomes a tad crazy to deal with.

Anyways, despite all this, my main point is, civil rights did help the LGBT communiy, with the only thing being left the matter of marriage which both sides support about equally (with the liberal side leaning more towards it), that isn't resolved yet primarily due to logistical issues. The civil rights acts may have technically been ratified in 1964, but it took much longer for the effects to actually take place, and people would only stop being discriminatory if the cases were brought to court. Today, even if we had some minor change in regards to civil rights, it wouldn't really qualify as some new upheaval of an old system, just some minor changes, so it wouldn't really be a revolution. Let alone directed at the rich, as Jorost suggests. 

As for the whole conservative thing, I challenge you to actually name a single piece of racist legislation proposed by the Republicans, in the last 40 years. Or ever. 

Too long, did not read.

Civil rights helped with the LGBT community, all that's left is gay marriage, which is more about tax implications than anything else, what with corporations and other entities qualifying as people and now making it so that if any two people can marry, taxes will be thrown out of whack. It's why even countries like Australia don't have gay marriage yet. On top of the fact that the government was never supposed to be involved with marriage in the first place. Kind of like how "In God we trust" is on our coins. 

Also, prove dah Republicans are racist; what's the last piece of legislation they've ever proposed?

Long enough to read, still didn't read.

I did not pretend to be in Vietnam in multiple bars across America, to be treated like this. emoticon8_zps85b3b04d.png

3859057-xpadsze.gif

Member Awards ()

#42 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

I have to admit I do like this line:

I did not pretend to be in Vietnam in multiple bars across America, to be treated like this.

Heh.

But back to the topic at hand:

When I originally posted this I think I went a little long, as I am sometimes wont to do :hello:. But really the main point I was trying to get across was that we in the West (e.g. North America, Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand) have really had it pretty easy for a long time. Of course there have been upheavals and historic changes, but nothing that has seriously shaken up the status quo. A visitor from 1945 would be wowed by our technology, of course, but fundamentally our society would still look familiar to him.

I think we are in for big changes. I believe the fundamental underpinnings of Western society — even global society — will be challenged. The vast accumulation of wealth in fewer and fewer hands, so much talked about in the last couple of years, cannot go on as it has. Taken to its ultimate conclusion, eventually we'd be left with one person with all the money and everyone else an indentured servant. Of course it will change long before it gets to that point, but you get the idea.

History is nothing more than a cycle of repeating patterns. One of those patterns is the accumulation of vast wealth and power by a small, elite ruling class. It will be accepted to a point, of course — after all ours is a hierarchical species. But when the disparity becomes too great a correction must be made. There is now widespread recognition of the fact that the disparity has become too great; we are due for a correction.

Or, to put it more poetically,

¡Viva la Revolución!

Member Awards ()

#43 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

A visitor from 1945 would be wowed by our technology, of course, but fundamentally our society would still look familiar to him.

I would totally disagree with you there a visitor from that era would think the world has gone down the shitter.

Blacks and all other ethnics with good jobs.
Blacks and all other ethnics with the same rights as whites.
Women out of the kitchen and family home working doing jobs men do.
Open gays in society.
Gay marriages.

Numerous other things too.

Western society these days would look alien to them.

Member Awards ()

#44 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

No, I mean the fundamentals, as in the way we organize ourselves, social institutions, family structures, even language and culture, etc. At a very basic level we have lived essentially the same way since the 1950s, we've just perfected it. I'm not saying the details wouldn't blow a time traveler away, because you're right, many realities of modern life would look alien, even dystopian, to someone from the past. Their attitudes toward race and gender would probably depend a lot upon their own; I imagine a black visitor from 1945 would be pretty impressed at the fact that there is a black president, for example. :D

But let's face it, despite all the changes, the United States is still overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly Christian, overwhelmingly traditional. Even "gay marriage" only mimics the norms of a previously-existing traditional structure.

70 years is a long stretch of prosperity and stability. In world history such peaceful stretches are rare, especially over large and diverse populations. In fact it's probably safe to say that never before have so many people had it so good for so long. It's unprecedented. And it cannot go on forever.

Do not misunderstand me. I do not mean to suggest that WW3 is coming. Maybe it is, I don't know. But change is coming, revolutionary change. In the past that kind of change has usually been accompanied by some amount of violence, whether through war, civil unrest, or both. There hasn't been a war fought on American soil in 150 years, and while I believe Americans are unhappy in general, I have seen nothing to make me think that our societal institutions, tattered though they may be, are on the brink of collapse. This is not to say that things are great, nor that everyone is doing well; far from it. But there aren't roving bands of marauders harassing the countryside, fires don't burn unchecked and consume entire cities, and most women can leave their homes with a reasonable expectation that they will not be raped and murdered. These things are not necessarily true in many parts of the world. We don't know how good we've got it here in the wild, wild West.

And I guess that's my point. We have it really good in the modern, developed world. Compared to the vast majority of human beings who have ever lived on this planet, 99.999999999%, even the most humble among us live like gods. Most of us have no idea the kind of hardship and suffering that exists in the rest of the world. Westerners have been isolated from that for a long time.

We talk about the 1% as being out of touch, living in a fantasy world and having no idea what life is like for real people. But in global terms we are the 1%. Consider: As measured by income, I am a solidly middle class American. I live in an 1100-square-foot (100 square meters) home with central heating and air conditioning, clean running hot and cold water, a full and well-provisioned kitchen, and proper sanitary facilities. Already I am well ahead of the game as far as my fellow man is concerned. Add into it the fact that I live in a peaceful, low-crime, high income region with an abundance of good schools, health care facilities, cultural attractions, infrastructure, shopping, etc. (the tony North Shore of Massachusetts, should you care). I have a car and a good job, I take vacations, and I can buy literally whatever I want at the push of a button. This is why I sometimes feel like an asshole complaining when the cable is out or something. Basically all my problems are white people problems. To some poor starving kid in Africa there's no difference between me and Mitt Romney. It's just a matter of degrees.

But this is true for most Americans. To the poverty-ridden majority of humanity, we are all the 1%. And to them we must seem just as cold, indifferent, and out of touch as billionaires and celebrities do to the rest of us.

I don't know where I'm going with this, and it is not my intent to punch anyone in the feels or make you feel guilty. None of us are responsible for our birth. But the fact remains: Just as the widening gap between rich and poor is beginning to cause unrest in the West (protest movements, anti-austerity gov'ts, etc.), so too the widening gap between the West and the developing world is fundamentally responsible for much geopolitical unrest, specifically in the Middle East. Resentment — resentment of those who have it better than you, especially if it is seen to be at your expense — is a powerful political motivator. One of the most powerful there is. If I believe that our (by which I mean the common people's) resentment of the 1% will eventually lead to their undoing, must I not also believe that we in the West will pay the price of our detachment? If comeuppance is coming, shouldn't it be coming for everyone?*

15:55 Eastern Time, 20 February 2015: Jorost gets meta

I don't know. All I know is that change is coming, on a scale far greater than anything we have seen so far. We think we live in an age of wonders, and from our point of view, today, we do. But we ain't seen nothing yet.

*Jorost strides boldly toward a bright and shining future

Member Awards ()

#45 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

*Redezra turns off the light switch, drops a bag over Jorost's head and bundles him into a van

There. Now nobody will ever know.

#46 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

This really isn't "politics" (this thread, I mean, which I see has been moved to the Politics subforum). More sociological, historical. It's got nothing to do with Democrats and Republicans.

Also, stop touching my stuff. :ninja:

Member Awards ()

#47 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

Member Awards ()

#48 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

No, I mean the fundamentals, as in the way we organize ourselves, social institutions, family structures, even language and culture, etc. At a very basic level we have lived essentially the same way since the 1950s, we've just perfected it. I'm not saying the details wouldn't blow a time traveler away, because you're right, many realities of modern life would look alien, even dystopian, to someone from the past. Their attitudes toward race and gender would probably depend a lot upon their own; I imagine a black visitor from 1945 would be pretty impressed at the fact that there is a black president, for example. :D

But let's face it, despite all the changes, the United States is still overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly Christian, overwhelmingly traditional. Even "gay marriage" only mimics the norms of a previously-existing traditional structure.

70 years is a long stretch of prosperity and stability. In world history such peaceful stretches are rare, especially over large and diverse populations. In fact it's probably safe to say that never before have so many people had it so good for so long. It's unprecedented. And it cannot go on forever.

Do not misunderstand me. I do not mean to suggest that WW3 is coming. Maybe it is, I don't know. But change is coming, revolutionary change. In the past that kind of change has usually been accompanied by some amount of violence, whether through war, civil unrest, or both. There hasn't been a war fought on American soil in 150 years, and while I believe Americans are unhappy in general, I have seen nothing to make me think that our societal institutions, tattered though they may be, are on the brink of collapse. This is not to say that things are great, nor that everyone is doing well; far from it. But there aren't roving bands of marauders harassing the countryside, fires don't burn unchecked and consume entire cities, and most women can leave their homes with a reasonable expectation that they will not be raped and murdered. These things are not necessarily true in many parts of the world. We don't know how good we've got it here in the wild, wild West.

And I guess that's my point. We have it really good in the modern, developed world. Compared to the vast majority of human beings who have ever lived on this planet, 99.999999999%, even the most humble among us live like gods. Most of us have no idea the kind of hardship and suffering that exists in the rest of the world. Westerners have been isolated from that for a long time.

We talk about the 1% as being out of touch, living in a fantasy world and having no idea what life is like for real people. But in global terms we are the 1%. Consider: As measured by income, I am a solidly middle class American. I live in an 1100-square-foot (100 square meters) home with central heating and air conditioning, clean running hot and cold water, a full and well-provisioned kitchen, and proper sanitary facilities. Already I am well ahead of the game as far as my fellow man is concerned. Add into it the fact that I live in a peaceful, low-crime, high income region with an abundance of good schools, health care facilities, cultural attractions, infrastructure, shopping, etc. (the tony North Shore of Massachusetts, should you care). I have a car and a good job, I take vacations, and I can buy literally whatever I want at the push of a button. This is why I sometimes feel like an asshole complaining when the cable is out or something. Basically all my problems are white people problems. To some poor starving kid in Africa there's no difference between me and Mitt Romney. It's just a matter of degrees.

But this is true for most Americans. To the poverty-ridden majority of humanity, we are all the 1%. And to them we must seem just as cold, indifferent, and out of touch as billionaires and celebrities do to the rest of us.

I don't know where I'm going with this, and it is not my intent to punch anyone in the feels or make you feel guilty. None of us are responsible for our birth. But the fact remains: Just as the widening gap between rich and poor is beginning to cause unrest in the West (protest movements, anti-austerity gov'ts, etc.), so too the widening gap between the West and the developing world is fundamentally responsible for much geopolitical unrest, specifically in the Middle East. Resentment — resentment of those who have it better than you, especially if it is seen to be at your expense — is a powerful political motivator. One of the most powerful there is. If I believe that our (by which I mean the common people's) resentment of the 1% will eventually lead to their undoing, must I not also believe that we in the West will pay the price of our detachment? If comeuppance is coming, shouldn't it be coming for everyone?*

15:55 Eastern Time, 20 February 2015: Jorost gets meta

I don't know. All I know is that change is coming, on a scale far greater than anything we have seen so far. We think we live in an age of wonders, and from our point of view, today, we do. But we ain't seen nothing yet.

*Jorost strides boldly toward a bright and shining future

I think you are blowing the West vs the world argument way out of proportion. Someone in Uganda does not give zero fucks about what privileges we have in the West but more how to fucking survive and secure food and safe drinking water for the immediate future. The Middle East argument is only brought up and driven home by fundamentalists. Our problem there is our continued intervention into their politics and their everyday life.

Member Awards ()

#49 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

This might surprise you, but most people don't give a fuck about the rich. 

It's, am I poor, are the other people around me poor, not, does he have more than me?

Communism liked to say that most of the world's problems were caused by financial equality. 

But when you think about it, far before money existed, crime and hate and war all existed at the same time. Resentment of those who have better than you? It's an idea coined by someone who believed all the poor were jealous of the rich, and only did bad things because of it. 

As if, the rich are that important. Really, most people just don't give a fuck. We aren't that jealous, or greedy. You take a doctor with an 8 year degree and training his whole life and put him at 100,000 a year compared to the CEO who makes 11 million, 100 times what he will make in a year, more in a year than a doctor will make in a life time, and the CEO barely graduated highschool and was promoted to the position by his dad, and the doctor is complacent. Most people, are complacent, just so long as we get ours at the end of the day.

If it comes down to spreading out the wealth to help others, we'll do that, but it's not as if there's some huge hate for people who have it better than us. No more than the athlete that can run faster than most of us; in fact, we cheer him on.

Edited by Manoka, 22 February 2015 - 12:15 PM.

Member Awards ()

#50 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

Of course survival is the primary concern in many poor parts of the world. But even in these places more and more people are connected to the internet. They see how we live. There's no way that doesn't breed resentment. Our meddling doesn't help either. And, let's face it, in at least some cases the US might simply be a convenient foil for the local leader. I mean, not everything is our fault.

Member Awards ()

#51 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:49 AM

Of course survival is the primary concern in many poor parts of the world. But even in these places more and more people are connected to the internet. They see how we live. There's no way that doesn't breed resentment. Our meddling doesn't help either. And, let's face it, in at least some cases the US might simply be a convenient foil for the local leader. I mean, not everything is our fault.

This isn't the Hunger Games Jor. A vast majority of the Third world does not have internet access and will not for a long long time. They have no clue how we live other than the free Seattle Seahawks "2015 Super Bowl Champion" shirts they just received and even then maybe asked a few questions.  

Member Awards ()

#52 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

More and more of the developing world has access to internet. Not to mention TV and radio. The world gets a little smaller every day.

Member Awards ()

#53 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

More and more of the developing world has access to internet. Not to mention TV and radio. The world gets a little smaller every day.

Yeah, not if Internet.Org has anything to do with anything.

#54 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

In 2014 the percentage of world population with internet was 40.4%

In 2014, nearly 75% (2.1 billion) of all internet users in the world (2.8 billion) live in the top 20 countries.
The remaining 25% (0.7 billion) is distributed among the other 178 countries, each representing less than 1% of total users.
http://www.internetl...internet-users/

The internet isn't as wide spread as you thought.

Member Awards ()

#55 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

The remaining 25% (0.7 billion) is distributed among the other 178 countries, each representing less than 1% of total users.

And a couple years ago it was 12% distributed among 178 countries, and before that 6%, etc., etc. Internet use is growing fast. The world is becoming more and more connected, and the speed with which this is happening is increasing.

UN: Internet access [in Africa] is no longer a luxury

Most Africans connect to the internet via mobile phones.

african_mobile_internet_map.jpg

Mostly, of course, this is a very good thing. The internet is an amazing tool which will I believe will ultimately improve lives and bring people closer. But we must be aware of the potential negatives as well, especially in the short term. We've seen in this country how easily the internet can become a breeding ground for anger and resentment. And we've seen its value as a recruitment and organizing tool for groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS. Why would we think things will be any different in Africa?

Member Awards ()

#56 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

I don't think people will just be angry because they see how we live. A lot of times, tribal people will say they prefer living their ways, with the strange dohickeys and whatchamacallits being all weird and whatnot. And those who want to live that way don't really resent us so much as look up to us. Not to mention, we give them tons of aids, so it's not like we don't do anything.

Member Awards ()

#57 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

I don't think

We know.

Member Awards ()

#58 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

I don't think

We know.

So rather than address my arguments, you'll just make a personal attack?

This is how I know you're all out of ideas at this point. :P

Member Awards ()

#59 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

I don't think

We know.

So rather than address my arguments, you'll just make a personal attack?

This is how I know you're all out of ideas at this point. :P

3859057-xpadsze.gif

Member Awards ()

#60 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

No, it just means we're all sick of you playing troll when it amuses you and then crying like a bitch when you want to say something "serious" and no one listens to you, Manoka.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users