• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

So you're saying big tobacco is lobbying for higher taxes? Don't think so.

Their lobbyists are trying to prevent the higher taxes, as it means less business for them. Never said tobacco was paying the tax increases, said the people who are addicted are. That's not fair. That's government rape. That's usury on behalf of the government.

You are not getting the point Thrash. Tabacco isn't fronting any sin tax. You, the consumer, are. Same with alcohol. The only thing tabacco is paying for more of in the last decade is anti-tabacco advertising because they lost a lawsuit and were ordered to do so. They are paying no extra tax. Every time your cigarette price increases is because city, state or feds increased taxes on the buyer.

So in essense again... tabacco doesn't care because you are buying the product. Hence why they lobby... so they don't pay any extra and pass the burden on to the consumer.

Edited by Justavictim82, 04 December 2016 - 10:29 AM.

Member Awards ()

#122 crv24

crv24
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 10 posts
  • Ruler Name:Masterchief777
  • Nation Name:The New Empire
  • IRC Nick:Crv24
  • Alliance Name:GATO
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

Heh. Good times.

This would be funnier if one of the most rabid anti-marijuana politicians in America hadn't just been named attorney-general. Considering how many states (including my own) have straight up legalized marijuana, it seems like a legal fight might be looming.

Federal law is superior to State law, so it's still illegal.

Although funnily enough you should mention smoking being legal when governments are trying their hardest to stop people smoking and seem to be winning, once majority stops I can see tobacco being banned.

Tobacco will NEVER be banned. I'll go on the record here. It's taxation is used to fund too many things.

It has nothing to do with taxation and everything to do with lobbying. Tabacco's product literally leads to tens of thousands of deaths annually and even has to pay for anti-tabacco ads yet its sales are still ridiculously strong.

Really? Then how come everytime there's a need for more tax money the first place that is looked at is tobacco and alcohol? It's taking advantage of addiction. The government needs this addiction. 5 years ago, I could buy 16 oz. of loose tobacco (not lobbyists) for $11, today it's over $50.

I've always believed this, everytime the government needs little bit more revenue they hike up takes on liquor and tobacco, instead of hiking the corporate taxes on the companies selling the products. They go after the most disenfranchised and vulnerable because they know the poorest will ultimately pay the prices if they're addicted.  However, I suppose if you taxed the company then they would just raise the price regardless but still a tad sickening having the government prey on its poorest citizens for revenue. 

I sell beer for a living so maybe I'm a tad biased but I'd love it if beer prices went down in Canada. Shitty brands like Budweiser should not be sold at a near premium or craft price, its mass manufactured piss water.

#123 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

The taxes they gain are minimal compared to the shit they would have to spend on citizens that keep trying to kill themselves.

#124 crv24

crv24
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 10 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

The answer is simple, let them kill themselves. We're overpopulated.

#125 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

Heh. Good times.

This would be funnier if one of the most rabid anti-marijuana politicians in America hadn't just been named attorney-general. Considering how many states (including my own) have straight up legalized marijuana, it seems like a legal fight might be looming.

Federal law is superior to State law, so it's still illegal.

Although funnily enough you should mention smoking being legal when governments are trying their hardest to stop people smoking and seem to be winning, once majority stops I can see tobacco being banned.

Tobacco will NEVER be banned. I'll go on the record here. It's taxation is used to fund too many things.

It has nothing to do with taxation and everything to do with lobbying. Tabacco's product literally leads to tens of thousands of deaths annually and even has to pay for anti-tabacco ads yet its sales are still ridiculously strong.

Really? Then how come everytime there's a need for more tax money the first place that is looked at is tobacco and alcohol? It's taking advantage of addiction. The government needs this addiction. 5 years ago, I could buy 16 oz. of loose tobacco (not lobbyists) for $11, today it's over $50.

I've always believed this, everytime the government needs little bit more revenue they hike up takes on liquor and tobacco, instead of hiking the corporate taxes on the companies selling the products. They go after the most disenfranchised and vulnerable because they know the poorest will ultimately pay the prices if they're addicted.  However, I suppose if you taxed the company then they would just raise the price regardless but still a tad sickening having the government prey on its poorest citizens for revenue. 

I sell beer for a living so maybe I'm a tad biased but I'd love it if beer prices went down in Canada. Shitty brands like Budweiser should not be sold at a near premium or craft price, its mass manufactured piss water.

That's an issue with your country if Bud costs that much. Craft beer here is 2x the cost of Bud, and even more telling 5x the cost of the bottom end like Natty Ice that alcoholics (like myself) are forced to drink to be able to afford their habit. With that said, I'd love to have a Budweiser.

Member Awards ()

#126 crv24

crv24
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 10 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

If I'm going for a lower end beer then I drink Rolling Rock or some shitty Labbat product. Could be my own prejudices, I feel like bud should just be bargain beer prices. I've never had a natty ice but stronger beers appeal to me. I used to drink a lot of Labbat Blue Dry in a 710ml king can and it's 8.1%. Does it taste as bad as everyone suggests?

#127 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

The answer is simple, let them kill themselves. We're overpopulated.

living people you can tax, and no we aren't

#128 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:04 AM

If I'm going for a lower end beer then I drink Rolling Rock or some shitty Labbat product. Could be my own prejudices, I feel like bud should just be bargain beer prices. I've never had a natty ice but stronger beers appeal to me. I used to drink a lot of Labbat Blue Dry in a 710ml king can and it's 8.1%. Does it taste as bad as everyone suggests?

See, that's the thing. Alcohol per vol. Natty Ice comes in at 5.9%. Pretty sure it's piss water, but it gets me drunk without puking and tastes good enough to me. They also have the Molson XXX around here with is like 8.7%. Piss water is when I'm REALLY broke (Genesee Ice), 5% alcohol, $1 for a 24oz can. Steel Reserve is good at 8.1% for $1.49 per 24oz, but that's worse then Natty Ice since it's a malt. Malt is when you've really drawn the line. :)

If I'm real desperate, I'll get a Four Loko, 10+%, but that shit is asking to puke.

Member Awards ()

#129 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:17 AM

its mass manufactured piss water.

It's all piss water, real men drink spirits.

Member Awards ()

#130 crv24

crv24
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 10 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

See, that's the thing. Alcohol per vol. Natty Ice comes in at 5.9%. Pretty sure it's piss water, but it gets me drunk without puking and tastes good enough to me. They also have the Molson XXX around here with is like 8.7%. Piss water is when I'm REALLY broke (Genesee Ice), 5% alcohol, $1 for a 24oz can. Steel Reserve is good at 8.1% for $1.49 per 24oz, but that's worse then Natty Ice since it's a malt. Malt is when you've really drawn the line. :)

If I'm real desperate, I'll get a Four Loko, 10+%, but that shit is asking to puke.

Now the four lokos I used to drink quite a bit, they're only 8% though up here in Canada but they get the job done. I've drank a lot of malt liquor coolers and don't really mind them, its more of a cloudy, heavy drunk compared to vodka or even just drinking beer. I've actually started selling Mojo Shots which is a 11.9% malt liquor cooler and its actually pretty damn good, they have more flavors in the USA that Id like to try.

its mass manufactured piss water.

It's all piss water, real men drink spirits.

its all about those ciders though brah. 

#131 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

Can't drink cider's these days as it makes me gag, its one of those things of overdrinking it over the years. Now a cider to me is too sweet like those flavoured vodkas women drink.

Member Awards ()

#132 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

ya Thrash turned me towards Natty Ice. So much cheaper to get a drunk on and it is the best tasting of all the low cost brews out there.  picked up a couple 30 packs for $31.98.  48 cans of Bud would cost me like $44.

Member Awards ()

#133 crv24

crv24
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 10 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:32 AM

Can't drink cider's these days as it makes me gag, its one of those things of overdrinking it over the years. Now a cider to me is too sweet like those flavoured vodkas women drink.

I like some of the flavored vodkas, like cake vodka :P or do mean like vodka coolers?however if I'm going into hard stuff then I'm a whiskey drinker. Jack Daniel's or crown royal would be my brand of choice. Aye and I get what you mean, I can't drink radler styler beer which is beer and grapefruit juice. The fucking acid burps and slightly throwing up citric acid and swallowing back down wasn't fun.

ya Thrash turned me towards Natty Ice. So much cheaper to get a drunk on and it is the best tasting of all the low cost brews out there. picked up a couple 30 packs for $31.98. 48 cans of Bud would cost me like $44.

Might have to try it sometime. Yeah a 30 of bud cans is gonna set you back $57.95 up here.

Edited by crv24, 08 December 2016 - 03:33 AM.

#134 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:20 AM

I like some of the flavored vodkas, like cake vodka :P or do mean like vodka coolers?however if I'm going into hard stuff then I'm a whiskey drinker. Jack Daniel's or crown royal would be my brand of choice. Aye and I get what you mean, I can't drink radler styler beer which is beer and grapefruit juice. The fucking acid burps and slightly throwing up citric acid and swallowing back down wasn't fun.
As for flavoured vodkas which taste like pop I'm on about stuff like this:

News-WKD-01.jpg

I prefer the hard stuff like whiskey and rum, for example I've got a bottle of this on my PC desk:

wray-nephew-overproof-rum-70cl-6000798-0

63% vol and the stuff puts hairs on your chest.

Not that I'm an alcoholic and drink the stuff like water, I just like the warming feeling of spirits when I drink on occasion.

Plus the added benefits that its cheaper to get drunk, you don't feel like a child drinking stuff flavoured like pop and you're not in the toilet numerous times pissing like a champ. :P

Edited by the rebel, 08 December 2016 - 06:24 AM.

Member Awards ()

#135 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

ya Thrash turned me towards Natty Ice. So much cheaper to get a drunk on and it is the best tasting of all the low cost brews out there.  picked up a couple 30 packs for $31.98.  48 cans of Bud would cost me like $44.

living frugal, gotta do it.

Member Awards ()

#136 crv24

crv24
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 10 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

As for flavoured vodkas which taste like pop I'm on about stuff like this:

News-WKD-01.jpg

I prefer the hard stuff like whiskey and rum, for example I've got a bottle of this on my PC desk:

wray-nephew-overproof-rum-70cl-6000798-0

63% vol and the stuff puts hairs on your chest.

Not that I'm an alcoholic and drink the stuff like water, I just like the warming feeling of spirits when I drink on occasion.

Plus the added benefits that its cheaper to get drunk, you don't feel like a child drinking stuff flavoured like pop and you're not in the toilet numerous times pissing like a champ. :P

All of that looks tasty! Usually when people around here are looking for a cheap drunk they end up getting this 6.2% abomination that is like a thick syrupy beer. I can't stand the stuff and I've had friends just pour it down the drain... but all the hardcore alcoholics drink it lol.  

861443_product_front.png?itok=jYOSphnY

#137 He who posts

He who posts

Intentialy offensive

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 1444 posts
  • Nation Name: 
  • IRC Nick: 
  • Alliance Name: 
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:55 AM

CVhEoiM.gif

#138 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

Bump

Member Awards ()

#139 Thomond

Thomond

Legions original Leprechaun

• Invicta: Legion People
  • 43 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Windmark
  • Nation Name:Regnum Saoirse
  • IRC Nick:Lord Windmark
  • Alliance Name:The Legion
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:19 AM

What will happen with Trump still instructing the FBI to prosecute in states that have legalized Marijuana for recreational use? It doesnt make any sense....

#140 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

Bump