not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

oh Christ, if you people were alive for thousands of years you would realize that Mother Nature is cyclical. There's periods of hot, periods of cold, periods of hot, periods of cold.

If anyone thinks there is a god damn thing you can do to change it, they are freaking idiots. It's like the Simpson's episode where Mr. Burns blocks the sun (i.e. it's not gonna happen). Stop spending billions of dollars of my tax money researching whether or not it is occuring and how to prevent it, just fucking deal with it. Nothing's gonna happen, society will exist 100 years from now. There are much greater and more urgent things threatening society besides the temperature rising 1 degree. Get your priorities straight.

bottom line: wake the fuck up and realize that there are things that occured before you were born and will occur after your dead.

Member Awards ()

#22 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Thrash it is indeed cyclical but you must understand that the cycles have become more extreme. The hot part of the cycle is hotter than it used to be for say. Best indicator that global warming is present and affecting the environment comes from hurricanes. Especially in areas like Honduras who are experiencing the worst storms ever. 

http://stephenleahy....ng-experts-say/

Member Awards ()

#23 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thrash it is indeed cyclical but you must understand that the cycles have become more extreme. The hot part of the cycle is hotter than it used to be for say.

How do you know? Did you live in 50AD or 1000BC? Or for that matter, did any of these "experts" live then? No.

It's a way to make money and you all are fools for playing into it.

The left is into making money just as much as right is. The left just cover it up as "science".

Herp derp, let's take a sample of 100 years and apply it to a billion years.

Member Awards ()

#24 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thrash it is indeed cyclical but you must understand that the cycles have become more extreme. The hot part of the cycle is hotter than it used to be for say. Best indicator that global warming is present and affecting the environment comes from hurricanes. Especially in areas like Honduras who are experiencing the worst storms ever. 

http://stephenleahy....ng-experts-say/

Except that with increased temperatures should find more stabilized weather phenomena.

In fact, we're seeing more cold hurricanes, like the low pressure storm in New York, which is indicative of a cooling mid troposphere, which is actually an opposite effect of global warming.

Mind you the mid troposphere could drop a whole degree at random, and the earth still be warming up, but it wouldn't be from carbon dioxide, or if it was, it would be one random weather event.

Considering that minor changes in temperature in the mid troposphere typically reflect massive shifts in weather on the surface of the earth, and the mid troposphere's temperatures and environment are typically incredibly stable, which is partially how it's much easier for them to predict hurricanes and whatnot (a small micro storm, more like a flutter, indicates a huge storm will erupt)...  probably indicates that this massive drop in temperature is likely not completely random.

I mean the earth may be warming but from a carbon dioxide driven greenhouse effect, you've got to be kidding me, there's no evidence for that at all.

In fact, more carbon dioxide does not mean hotter. The mid troposphere has a thin layer of carbon dioxide that reflects the majority of infrared radiation back down. At the surface, carbon dioxide is largely irrelevant due to the abundance of water vapor and other greenhouse gases, which absorb the infrared much more readily than carbon dioxide. But at higher levels, where water turns to ice, carbon dioxide plays a more important role; this thin band, albeit spread relatively evenly across the mid troposphere, is what's predominately responsible for the carbon dioxide greenhouse effect. If the carbon dioxide never reaches this level, which this is very little mixing between the surface and mid troposphere, it can't cause the greenhouse effect to any considerable degree. It is more realistic to think of the predominate carbon dioxide driven greenhouse effect as occurring on a surface in the mid troposphere.

But let's focus on it's role; it reflects virtually all the infrared reflected back up, back down. The argument of the increasing thickness of this layer reflecting more infrared back down?

That's like suggesting stacking two mirrors on top of each other will reflect twice the light back down. The problem is not much infrared actually escapes this layer, so more doesn't necessarily equal hotter. It plays an incredibly important role, but an indirect one, since the carbon dioxide merely reflects the infrared, and does not actually absorb it, increasing the earth's temperature. The important thing to take into account is that more does mean hotter; in fact, when the oceans warm, more carbon dioxide is released. Thus, if the earth is getting hotter, it can easily explain the increase in carbon dioxide. And that also suggests that if the earth gets hotter, it will be exponentially hotter. In fact, the earth has had 16 times the carbon dioxide it does now, and it did nothing but cool down for millions of years; in fact, more carbon dioxide typically leads to a state of less, which should be the opposite if warmth leads to more carbon dioxide. In fact, it's how they're able to measure temperatures millions of years ago, largely by using the after effects of carbon dioxide, which is a widely known phenomena. Your soft drink does not lie to you and stay fizzy whenever it's warm.

Edited by Manoka, 07 July 2013 - 10:37 AM.

Member Awards ()

#25 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Manoka, you've made me not want to declare on you anymore.

Member Awards ()

#26 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Manoka, you've made me not want to declare on you anymore.

Hehe. :P

Member Awards ()

#27 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Look, whoever so much as questions global warming now is being an idiot. That's not me saying it, that's freaking science.

Now to be honest, I don't expect many, if any of you to understand how the scientific process works, or how we actually manage to find this stuff out, because very many of you simply do not have the mental equiptment to actually understand proper science. I'm not kidding, did you really think anyone could become a proper scientist? People who do proper scientific, quantitative research and manage to draw conclusions from it are really special people. I have a nice vague fuzzy idea, but at least I understand the process is functionally infalliable given enough time.

That out of the way, almost all studies on climate change overwhelmingly support a drastic, un-natural climactic shift. Many more have linked human activities with climate change data in almost perfect correlation. The studies that stand apart from this are not peer reviewed, that is, nobody, not even the teams that came out with the research themselves, have been able to replicate the results. It's simply not true, just like the old tales of cold fusion.

As the weight of the data stands, it is an empirical fact that human activities on this planet have caused, and are very likely the primary causitive agent behind a very sharp rise in global temperature. End of story. If you don't believe that, it's either because you don't like the idea because it conflicts with your own, or because you don't understand science, or both. Either way, not your fault, you probably aren't cut out for it. However, this does not mean you are right. You're still wrong.

tl;dr: You're wrong, cause you can't science.

Also, it should get hotter. :)

Ahh, Red, so you don't value inquisitiveness and want me to blindly follow something because it would simply be dumb to ask questions.

I understand completely.

But science is about more than accepting something is fact or not fact, it's about legitimately understanding scientific data.

Maybe I am dumb, but my curiosity gets the best of me, which is why I do research on things to figure them out; it is possible I am not born with infinite knowledge, after all.

To proclaim that just believing in something is "science" kind of ignores the actual science aspect of it.

I can say "nanana, I'm just smarter than you, that's why I'm right!" but that's really not an explanation.

In fact, climate change information is usually pretty simple.

The difficulty lies in measuring it, you need satellites, total earth coverage (as of now, our temperature gauges say, measure one area in the city, at the surface of the earth, and not the atmosphere itself etc.), and incredibly accurate readings, which takes expensive and sophisticated equipment. But the basis of how this all works is pretty simple. You measure weather over long periods of time, try to find patterns, etc. As long as your instruments are accurate measuring a 78.4 degrees today in X building is pretty easy. Although figuring out how to get an accurate reading of a whole city, not in the shade, not directly in sunlight etc. is pretty hard.

Your only argument is that I should blindly believe it and if I ask questions I'm dumb; and should you explain, it would be too hard for me to understand.

Maybe you're right Red, maybe I wouldn't understand the reasons behind this crazyness, it just seems silly to me, but I do have a general understanding of how it works.

But, sure, which source do you have where the polling was done that proved 98% of scientists believe this?

Even if I can't understand it, according to you, I believe I can understand the results of a poll with a simple yes or no answer.

Edited by Manoka, 07 July 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Member Awards ()

#28 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Whether you like to believe it or not we are cutting down more and more trees every day, throwing up more and more harmful chemicals and CO2 into the air everyday and more and more species are coming to the brink of extinction due to human damage to their environments as well as weather related damage. The polar ice caps are beginning to melt at a faster rate than before and the sea level has risen significantly because of it. This is the beginning and there is much worse to come. 

Enough of this nonsense about it's been hot in the past. Yes there are hotter days in the past but you need to look at the marginal change in the average global temperature. Last time that happened an ice age occurred. 

Believe what you want but I'm not listening to politicians I'm listening to scientists that study storms and wildlife. The signs are showing themselves I don't need to make up evidence to scare you.

Member Awards ()

#29 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Well, the increase in hurricanes since the 1980's has more or less been an increase in recorded hurricanes. We didn't exactly know about most hurricanes, and since most ended harmlessly out over the open ocean, they weren't typically recorded even if they were identified.

As a result the number of recorded hurricanes has increased, particularly with the advent of satellite technology and total global measuring, but whether there is a statistically significant measurable trend is largely unknown. It will take at least another 30 more years of study to see what happens.

As well, the biggest carbon dioxide sink source is in the ocean, with plankton and algae. In fact, trees only make up a minor carbon sink source; in fact, out of all the carbon sink sources, the ocean, the water itself, absorbs about half the carbon dioxide we produce. So, if trees form about 10%, maximum of all the organic carbon sink sources, over 70% being from algae alone, and then there's bacteria in the oceans, as well, then out of the total carbon sink sources, trees would only form less than 5% of the total carbon dioxide sink sources, since more is absorbed by non-organic sources etc. Which are largely unchanged, since over 90% of the world's forests still persist. It's generally believed that trees only make up about 3% of the world's carbon sink sources, which is relatively insignificant.

As well, there is actually little evidence that the ocean is rising or the polar ice caps are melting. The polar ice caps formed over millions of years, with the earth's tilt being just enough, in the direction away from the sun, to provide a 15 longer day in the winter, and a 15 shorter summer, creating more cold than heat, thus forming ice, which over time formed into large chunks of ice. The stored energy in this far exceeds that of the entire atmosphere; even if we condensed the entire atmosphere into it, it would take thousands of years for the polar ice caps to melt. The thermal energy is significantly higher than the atmosphere. Even though it's colder, think of trying to melt an ice sculpture with a single match. It's not really possible. To give you a rough idea, the ice caps are each over a mile thick. The entire atmosphere, the entire atmosphere, over 10 miles up, 320 miles into the air, provides 1 atmospheric pressure. Just 1. 7.5 feet down in the water, you typically get about 1 atmospheric pressure; at the bottom of the ocean, it's enormous, with many tons of pressure present.  7.5 feet of water is equal to the entire weight of the atmosphere on top of your head all the way into space. So, imagine the amount of raw mass in an ice sheet several miles thick; the fact remains that the density is so huge it would take at minimum thousands of years to melt it even if the atmosphere had double the energy, becuase the thermal energy of the ice, and that which is required to change it's temperature, far exceeds what the atmosphere can provide. More importantly, the poles of the earth don't seem to be experiencing the same warming effect of the rest of the earth, so it's largely irrelevant. There is however, a natural trend of ozone depletion over the Artic, but this is known to be natural, and it's not known if this is exacerbated by man kinds ozone depletion.

In fact, even if the polar ice caps melted, the oceans would not rise much. The tip of an iceberg typically is only about 9% of the total ice berg, since the density of ice is much lower than liquid water. This causes about 9% of it to stick up out of the water, since it is around 9% less dense than water. However, much of the ice is submerged below seal level; in fact, the artic ice sheets have pushed parts of greenland and Antartica more than 2.6 km below sea level, the sheer weight of the ice stacking up on top of itself and lowering the land mass. Thus, the majority of the ice, well over 90%, is already under water. In fact, it is about 10% bigger than water. Should it melt, you should actually see the ocean levels go down. Imagine you removed a giant mountain from the ocean, that was raising the ocean level slightly due to it displacing the water; since the ice is already under water, removing it would lower the levels; since ice is less dense than water, when it melts, it should actually go down.

Additionally, it's true the difference was only about 9 degrees between the ice age and our current age. But the ice age largely effected the most northern and southern parts of the planet, and places like Africa, which are largely desert now, once contained lush forests, which they still do (although there is increased desertification). This is a process which has been occurring over thousands of years, regardless of human intervention. However, changing atmospheric temperatures did not cause this. In fact, the environment determines the temperature of the atmosphere. Let's take a look at the desert; we would think that, at the equator, all things equal, it should be an equal temperature around, but it's not. In the amazon jungle, temperatures are more stable due to the vegetation, which release and retain enormous amounts of water (known as rain forests, since this abundance of water causes lots of rain). The vegetation there largely influences the climate, which solidifies an abundance of water. In the amazon jungle, the amazon river is the widest river in the world, very close in length to the nile; in Africa, the nile river forms the longest river in the world, suggesting an abundance of water in both climates; since all water heads towards the equator, it makes sense you would have the largest rivers in the world at the equator (which is why Australian water flows "up"). However, the flora largely absorbs the water in the Amazon Jungle, stabilizing the temperatures, and ensuring an abundance of life.

However, this does not mean it's colder on average; in fact, water is the biggest greenhouse gas on earth, representing about 98% of all greenhouse gases in terms of mass. Where there is more water, there will actually be higher temperatures. However, at night, in the desert, it's not uncommon for temperatures to drop below freezing. You can go from 105 degree days to below freezing nights, because there is nothing to hold the heat or water in. It all evaporates or disappears during the day. Thus, what determines the atmospheric temperature is the land, and what determines the climate is the land below, be it sandy, rocky, muddy, or filled with vegetation, and typically not the other way around. Thus a changing air temperature doesn't necessarily reflect a changing climate, per say.  It is more realistic to think of changing air temperatures being a result of the environment, and not vice versa. Thus, if the air is warming as a result of a greenhouse effect, it won't necessarily indicate that the climate is changing, or necessarily even change the climate, since it has a much more powerful role in determining temperature. Also, it explains why humidity increases the problems associated with heat.

Although your words do not fall on deaf ears, The Dark Empire. I am always open to civil discourse, particularly in fields of science, so some of my potentially harsher statements aren't exactly directed towards you. xP

Edited by Manoka, 07 July 2013 - 12:50 PM.

Member Awards ()

#30 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Well your main argument is that there is too little evidence and that the changes are insignificant and frankly I fundamentally disagree on that point because I believe that there is a lot of research and concrete evidence out there and the changes in our climate, the severity of hurricanes, and the rise in sea level are incredibly significant. The sea may absorb most of the carbon dioxide but trees are more important for their root systems and my comment on that was aimed to say that human destruction is paving way to flooding and mudslides as well as worse erosion.

I don't really have much else to say on this topic so I'm done.

Member Awards ()

#31 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

I believe that there is a lot of research and concrete evidence out there and the changes in our climate

Based on the past 100 years or so, only. So you have to see my point also..

It's pretty much like saying that since the east coast has been in a heat wave for the past few days that it's some new tragic occurance that's caused by the gas in our cars, get real. There's years where there's never a heat wave and then years where there's a lot of them. You need a much bigger sample to try to rationalize Climate change.

If you can go back to the beginning of time and point something out, then I'll buy into it.. otherwise, it's all bells and whistles used to make money.

Member Awards ()

#32 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

I believe that there is a lot of research and concrete evidence out there and the changes in our climate

Based on the past 100 years or so, only. So you have to see my point also..

It's pretty much like saying that since the east coast has been in a heat wave for the past few days that it's some new tragic occurance that's caused by the gas in our cars, get real. There's years where there's never a heat wave and then years where there's a lot of them. You need a much bigger sample to try to rationalize Climate change.

If you can go back to the beginning of time and point something out, then I'll buy into it.. otherwise, it's all bells and whistles used to make money.

That is just false scientists already know that this century is the hottest century within 1000-2000 years. You don't need a thermometer and a satellite to measure global temperature. You can use ice core analysis, tree rings, coral, stalagmites, and boreholes. Scientists have recently proved a theory they call the hockey stick which shows that global temperatures were gradually decreasing up until the 20th century where there was a sharp increase and a continued increase. 

Here's a graph 

MBH1999_Wahl_2007.gif

So there goes your whole argument about science only knowing the past 100 years. There are many different ways to find out what the earth was like more than 100 years ago. 

As for the sea level rise being insignificant that is also false. The rate our seas are rising has increased and it is starting to affect some land areas especially in Greenland and Antartica. Here's a handy article by National Geographic. http://ocean.nationa...sea-level-rise/ and a graph

Sea-Level-1.gif

Note how before the 20th century the slope of the graph was smaller and then it gets bigger towards the end of the 20th century. That means it is not constant but increased due to a global factor. 

And Mr. Manoka you are right water vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere making up 95%.  And you are right to point out that water is very good at holding heat because it has such a high specific heat (4.186J). Water vapor in the atmosphere can create very large changes in temperature creating what is called a positive feedback loop. When additional CO2 is put into the atmosphere the temperature still increases but it is magnified by the fact that this temperature increase increases the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere increases the temperature even more. Studies show a 1 degree Celsius increase in temperature caused by C02 can actually magnify to a 3 degree Celsius change in temperature due to this positive water vapor feedback. So small increase in C02 in the atmosphere have large effects on temperature. DA DA DA Global Warming is aggravated by C02. It is not a cycle because no known force has ever cause this before unless it is anthropogenic greenhouse gas. Scientists agree that it is incredibly unlikely that the global warming we are experiencing is part of a cycle. 

The whole land determines global temperature is a load of nonsense because as you said different areas of the world are different temperatures which is why you take the average. And yes we do know that the average has increased and it doesn't matter whether you are in the tundra, the desert, or the rainforest the temperatures are rising there too because the atmosphere is holding more heat.

This isn't tips of the iceburgs melting this is entire glaciers melting. Scientists are predicting that summer/multi year Artic ice will be gone within a decade. So far the amount of Artic ice that has melted is about the size of western Australia. Entire ice shelves are collapsing. 

RAAARRRRAAAGHH

GlobalGlacierVolumeChange.jpg

GRACE_2010.gif

No Evidence my ass there is a shit ton of evidence if you open your eyes and stop ignoring it. Know stop posting shit about the ice caps not melting and it's just a cycle, or we only understand the climate within a 100 years.

I am very passionate about this by the way.

Member Awards ()

#33 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'd like to know who was tracking and/or had temperature tracking devices in 1400AD. Keep buying into it. They want your money. I'm glad you're giving it to them and I'm not.

Member Awards ()

#34 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

TDE, you are a man after my heart <3 :P

Anyways, the point is, gentlemen, that no matter what we say to you, your minds will not change, and no matter what you say to us, we won't change either.

The difference however, is that while you simply know you're right, TDE and I are right. And why? Because we have the magic ability to just know how the climate cycles work? Because we have magical powers that let us see a hundred million years into the past?

No. Our power is that we understand how ice coring works, and that we understand how it allows us to measure atmospheric content from many hundreds of thousands to millions of years ago. We know that chemistry allows us to figure out the chemicals present, and that physics allows us to figure out what concentrations of which chemicals imply which climates. We know from biology what gases are produced by plants and what temperatures cause which plant-gas concentrations, and we know from geology which gases are emitted from the earth, and when.

Via science, we can go back those hundreds of thousands to millions of years, and look at what the world was like. We don't need to be there, we are there.

We are gods.

And to be quite honest, it's people like you two who insist on trying to make decisions without having the slightest clue on how the system works and how it has flawlessly obliterated your argument that piss me right the fuck off. Not because of something personal to do with you specifically, but because it really burns my bridges to know that somehow this dumb as fuck species has managed to assume we're actually intelligent, where, en masse, we aren't capable of being intelligent.

#35 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

oh yea, and since you wanna bust out useless made up charts:

great-global-warming-blunder-pdo-2000-20

Member Awards ()

#36 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

TDE, you are a man after my heart <3 :P

No, that's me, but you won't let me know at least what I'm dealing with.

Member Awards ()

#37 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'd like to know who was tracking and/or had temperature tracking devices in 1400AD. Keep buying into it. They want your money. I'm glad you're giving it to them and I'm not.

What...pfff...giving them money....scientists are able to use nature as a global record system especially when it comes to rock and ice. Did you know that scientists have proven that the magnetism of the earth has flipped and may flip again within 1000 years. It's not foney baloney it's concrete science and testing and testing and more testing. As to your money nonsense I really don't understand what the hell you mean by that. Scientists aren't just blatantly guessing here so stop acting like they are.

Member Awards ()

#38 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Of course not. That would ruin the mystery :3

#39 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Oh yeah, that's true too. The EM field the earth produces flips every hundred thousand years and a bit. And it should have happened already, so it's just about to happen!!!!!!!!! (gasp)!

Buuuuuut in geological timescales this means it might happen in the next hundred to ten thousand years. Silly earth.

#40 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

http://www.scienceda...71011102631.htm

http://www.decodedsc...eruptions/30988

http://www.sciencepo...ding_of_climate

Here's who's saying that by the way and how they do it by the way.

Why don't you glance over them before you post again.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users