Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

Any argument against my country's policy is irrelevant. It worked. It continues to work. Saying it won't for any reason is like putting your hands over your eyes and arguing why the sky can't be blue. Accept that such control methods reduce death, because they do.

Also, now I'm imagining Cowboys having knife fights.

Define "work".

In Japan guns are completely banned, but the Yakuza are at large. We can try to argue that their homicide rates are really low, but it's but known that they manipulate this data, since it doesn't synch up with hospital records; in other words, the low level of violent crime has been fabricated. In their country, they usually consider homicides suicides unless proven otherwise. They have the highest suicide rate in the world, about double the the U.S., and yet the murder rate is mysteriously low. Despite the reports of jumping being one of the most prevelant reasons, adding suicide nets to buildings doesn't seem to have done much at all. Limiting poisons also doesn't seem to have made a signifigant impact.

As well, crime generally steadily goes down; crime and homicide rates are lower after the assualt weapons ban ran out in 2004, but they also fell at about the same rate in 1994 when it was first established. As police technological capabilities, such as DNA tracing, which only came about in 1996, become more common and prevelant, and their effectiveness increases while the continously crack down on large sources of crime, and the population stabilizes, crime will start to go down down. Law enforcement effectiveness is expected to increase over time, with better techniques and technology, outpacing criminals, while at the same time poverty and other social ills are expected to go down, while the population remains the same; it's nearly double the population than in 1960, but yet crime is nearly at this level, meaning that crime is actually half of that, per capita than it was then.

In 1993, homicide was at the highest in the United State's, at about 24,530. It steadily declined from 1993 to today where it's at about 14,000 or so. In Australia, in 1993, the homicide rate was about 300. It spiked to 385 in 1999, and dropped back down to around 300 in 2007, where it's levels have remained (data is not included for 2007 onwards). The issue here is that while crime has been steadily decreasing in the U.S., it's been steadily increasing in Australia until just recently. While supposedly, firearm homicides have gone down, the way they gather statistics has changed.

They claim there are no recorded mass attacks, but being recorded doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are at least 3 well known incidents that would qualify as a mass shooting have happened, but since they're recorded differently, they aren't counted. This includes the Hectorville Seige and Monash University, where as the Victorian bush fires killed over 173 people. You should have expected to see 2009 homicide levels double, but they remained constant.

The reality is that statistics are recorded differently. Intentional homicide is different from murder, where if you can't prove intent, instead of circumstances like with murder, it's counted differently. Also, cold cases are handled differently, not being counted unless it's definitivley proven, for the same thing. We can determine a homicide even if there's no perp, but it's not the case in Australia. So there's a lot more to go into.

If gun control really worked every time, then we'd expect to See Switzerland and Norway to have enermous crime rates, when they don't, while Mexico has some of the highest violent crime in the world and they have some of the strictest gun control measures, including banning rounds too similiar to other military rounds, like the .223 or 9mm, and instead require .222.

It doesnt' seem to have helped much. Far more prevelant and pressing factors remain. The availability of something does not neccesarily hinge on it's legality, and it's prevelance does not neccesarily directly influence crime. Since both factors are completely arbitriary, drawing a consensus that banning them would work is simply ignoring the fact that it's impossible to determine it's effectiveness since it's minor at best to far more pressing issues including culture, police effectiveness, economic factors, technological capabilities, and the presence of organized crime. In the UK during the time of the IRA, violent crime was obscenely high, but without them it dropped; in germany, since the fall of the Berlin wall, it's supposedly been really low. But in the U.S., cartels still smuggle goods every day. If we became an Island, it might be easier to stow the smuggling, but it hasn't happened.

Edited by Manoka, 22 October 2013 - 06:41 PM.

Member Awards ()

#22 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ellis
  • Nation Name:Straccia
  • IRC Nick:Ellis
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Alright, I'm not quoting the post because it was getting huge, but it's the last one where Manoka replied to me, alright? :P

Firstly, you can't give me crap about being a bit glib with my opening post, when yours was suggesting we equip ourselves with forcefields :nyancat:

Again, this was not a thread about 'all violence', it's about a school shooting, so whereas my post was relevant and on topic, yours seemed like another one to exhibit in the 'stupid $#@& Manoka says' gallery, but you're right, what does it even matter?

So, School shooting, that I'll remind you is the topic of this thread, would the kid have been able to get a gun and carry this out? Guns, being illegal, would not be basically everywhere, you would have to make your own or specifically go looking for an illegal gun dealer, who isn't going to have a shop that plainly sells guns. By no means am I saying it would be impossible, but it would be harder.

Comparing trying to ban air or water is not comparable to trying to ban guns, and that was a stupid example, as was atomic bombs, and if you didn't know it writing that, you're an idiot. You used comparisons to drugs elsewhere in your argument, why not use that? It's certainly a much more appropriate comparison. And then you followed it up with more good examples, like prohibition, as well. I'm not sure why you didn't use those to start with, instead of setting up invalid examples that you then had to justify using good examples...

As for the smuggling, sure, you may be right, I'm a little dubious about your tank figures, but that's not precisely relevant, and you did back up your drug stats, so good job there. However, the thing is, this isn't about whether cartels and gangs would still be able to obtain guns, we're talking about another school shooting, committed with a legal weapon taken from the killer's house, not a Mexican drug cartel.

Member Awards ()

#23 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

If gun control really worked every time, then we'd expect to See Switzerland and Norway to have enermous crime rates, when they don't, while Mexico has some of the highest violent crime in the world and they have some of the strictest gun control measures, including banning rounds too similiar to other military rounds, like the .223 or 9mm, and instead require .222.

Fun fact a very high majority of weapons and ammunition come from across the border from a country called USA.

Member Awards ()

#24 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

In this thread: Manoka once again argues against reality.

Manoka, go home. You're drunk.

#25 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Fun fact a very high majority of weapons and ammunition come from across the border from a country called USA.

Sure, why do you think this?

Member Awards ()

#26 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Alright, I'm not quoting the post because it was getting huge, but it's the last one where Manoka replied to me, alright? :P

Firstly, you can't give me crap about being a bit glib with my opening post, when yours was suggesting we equip ourselves with forcefields :nyancat:

Again, this was not a thread about 'all violence', it's about a school shooting, so whereas my post was relevant and on topic, yours seemed like another one to exhibit in the 'stupid $#@& Manoka says' gallery, but you're right, what does it even matter?

So, School shooting, that I'll remind you is the topic of this thread, would the kid have been able to get a gun and carry this out? Guns, being illegal, would not be basically everywhere, you would have to make your own or specifically go looking for an illegal gun dealer, who isn't going to have a shop that plainly sells guns. By no means am I saying it would be impossible, but it would be harder.

Comparing trying to ban air or water is not comparable to trying to ban guns, and that was a stupid example, as was atomic bombs, and if you didn't know it writing that, you're an idiot. You used comparisons to drugs elsewhere in your argument, why not use that? It's certainly a much more appropriate comparison. And then you followed it up with more good examples, like prohibition, as well. I'm not sure why you didn't use those to start with, instead of setting up invalid examples that you then had to justify using good examples...

As for the smuggling, sure, you may be right, I'm a little dubious about your tank figures, but that's not precisely relevant, and you did back up your drug stats, so good job there. However, the thing is, this isn't about whether cartels and gangs would still be able to obtain guns, we're talking about another school shooting, committed with a legal weapon taken from the killer's house, not a Mexican drug cartel.

Well, the conversation wasn't very important, I was just pointing it out. xP

But who cares if it's a school shooting; any loss of life is terrible, and if we're going to suggest a method to over-all reduce violence, it should be aimed at areas where we can be effective. If it makes it harder, but doesn't stop it, what have you really accomplished?

You'll focus on the 98% of the population likely to never commit a crime, while at least 50% is committed by organized crime. You'll not only be throwing away 50 times the resources to do so, but you won't really help much.

It's unknown how much crime is perpetrated by organized crime, but considering that most jurisdictions don't even record if it is or not, it's harder to establish any kind of direct connection. And yet it's nearly 50%.

You're about 50 times more likely to be struck by lightning than be injured or killed in a random mass shootings. You're about about as 50 times as likely to kill someone in self defense than in a mass shooting.

More importantly, there are 10,000 firearm homicides a year. And there are at least 100,000 cases of self defense with a firearm, but only 400 self defense cases a year. The reality is that guns make it so you don't have to kill as often, since they're so effective the enemy is likely to surrender; just pulling one out can scare away individuals.

To give another example, cocaine is incredibly hard to synthesize.  It takes isolating the cocaine from the coca planet, crushing it into pulp, synthesizing the cocaine, concentrating it, and then preparing it so it's indigestible by humans in their proffered methods. Then, once you have this nearly pure cocaine, you have to find a way to store it, of which they usually use plastic coated in a particular kind of wax that won't dissolve in the human digestive track, or be picked up by drug sniffing dogs. After this, it's a matter of smuggling it several hundred miles across the rainforest and delivering across the border of the U.S. As of now, the Mexican military is outgunned by the cartels, and the cartels have the easy task of simply walking across an undefended border.

The Los Zetas are an organization that was formed after special forces troops deserted and joined a mercenary unit designed to protect and hual goods for the cartels. After a long enough period of time, and with enough military desertions, potentially more in their forces than the 200,000 some odd Mexican military currently actively fighting the cartels, they built up a force that uses violence to obtain it's goals. While recently 50% of their profits come from drugs, another 50% comes from guns, smuggling people, and general violent activities, including hits, robbery, kidnapping, and extortion; it used to be 70%. They are almost entirely ex-military, and have a significant amount of special forces, including from other country's. Over 1700 Mexican special forces have deserted the Mexican army. They get guns no problem. I guess my point is, these people are incredibly well trained, and extremely professional, and have no difficulty getting guns or drugs across the border. Your average criminal isn't buying guns from stores, they're buying it from the same sources that supply them with drugs, which are the cartels or their subsidiary groups operating in America, like MS13. Basically, any gang operating in America has to be getting cocaine from a few sources, since it's impossible to synthesize or even produce large quantities like this without being spotted. Due to their jurisdiction, we can't enter to stop it, so we face the forces going into the U.S. It's long been known that the Colombian military was directly involving in this kind of activity, and that now Guatemala is. Combined with the rampant Corruption of the Mexican military and even their government, as well as many others, and the high number of desertions as is, it's likely that there is a much bigger force coordination all this, with sophisticated laboratories, and large fields to grow goods in. These are coming outside of the country, and coming in. These same groups bring in sweatshop produced firearms that aren't traceable under U.S. standards. In fact, only about 8-12% of all firearms are traceable at all, and they can recover obliterated serial numbers and have chemical methods of retrieving traces on legally produced firearms, meaning they can at least find the manufacturer even if they can't find the store (and the manufacturer presumably has records to which store it sold certain guns to, and so on). Meaning that these individuals are getting guns and drugs from a sophisticated, likely government source, which breaks down on the small unit level once it gets to gangs, but it implies coordination in it's own right, which we already know exists.

These organizations are operating in a manner and producing goods that imply a level of sophistication beyond that of the U.S., regardless of the fact that we already have a pretty good knowledge on how organized crime operates. You can't have cocaine and ecstasy without an advanced scientific laboratory; we know there must be higher ups. And yet it's distributed like candy at party's; I highly doubt your average street thug is responsible for it's production, let alone smuggling it across the border, and yet these are the people distributing it to drug dealers. It takes coordination across many country's and borders and military's to get it here. And their effectiveness at fighting the police and terrorizing the population, and thus politicians into cooperating, is unparalleled. Even if they wanted to stop it they don't have the power to do so, so even good politicians find themselves wrapped up in this.

Basically, it goes beyond what a little gun store can provide. Or any law abiding gun store in the U.S. could provide.

There's really not a lot stopping guns from illegally getting into the U.S., and we basically already know their routes and origins. So banning wouldn't seem to do a lot of good in stopping the majority of violence, since we can't restrict access to illegal goods, which most criminals are arming themselves with. So at that point, you just leave civilians defenseless.

I guess another point is that there's no methodology to random violence. Those who want to kill people have the internet, and if they can't get a gun, it won't take much to realize they can just put gasoline in a beer bottle and throw it at someone to light them on fire. They could be drunk and do this.

If we take a look at one violent crime and then say, this guy did one thing, a violent crime rarer than being struck by lightning, and try to base legislation on that, it's not only completely arbitrary, but could set us up for failure. These people could one day, in theory, decide to blow up a building, of which every major explosive uses nitric acid as a sub component, which is relatively easy to get a hold of or make. And way more people could be injured by it. I guess trying to control completely random violence, which is rare in it's own right, is essentially futile. The reality is that any human being, anywhere, could decide to kill a bunch of people, and nothing stands in their way, since humans are so fragile it only takes a light nick to end decades of life. In fact, we're so fragile that living itself kills us, with aging. If 50% of people decided to strangle the person next to them, our population would be cut in half tomorrow. The only thing that prevents killing each other if we felt like it is our minds and our empathy. And with the number of stupid and evil people in the world, the whole planet is just one giant ticking time bomb. The Americans and the Russians have their fingers on the button and could wipe each other out, and the whole world tomorrow. It's only because we're so reluctant to act that we're all alive, and yet there are people out there who will kill, sometimes for no reason. No matter what you do, you're at the person next to you's mercy every moment of every day. And that's not really going away. Not until we have force fields. Attempts to control random violence, it's just, it's just not going to happen. And even if we made every perfect law in America that everyone followed, it doesn't mean the rest of the world would.

Edited by Manoka, 22 October 2013 - 10:28 PM.

Member Awards ()

#27 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

See, this is how I read most of what is above this:

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah derp blah derp. Blah blah blah derp derp blah, unverifyable crap blah derpa herpa sherpa blah. Blah blah blah, turqouise, blah blah. Blah blah, blah blah blah! Strawmans and slippery slope fallacies blah blah, terrible logic and flawed one dimentional arguments blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Look at all the evidence I don't have but assume exists blah blah blah. Demagoguery blah, bullshit blah blah. Blah blah, blah blah blah. Blah.

Soooo.... Either the arguments get good, or I'll provide the interest in this topic by revealing how I read Manoka's arguments :3

I'm sure everyone will love that.

#28 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:42 AM

I don't even see how anyone can read the arguments, Manoka. They're too damn long. Like the one Ellis replied to..it was okay, I read it. But then holy fucking shit the next one. Like I'm reading an essay. 

tl fucking dr.

Member Awards ()

#29 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

In other news... 

http://usnews.nbcnew...itters-gun?lite

Member Awards ()

#30 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

So your only argument is ignorance.

Tell me something I don't know. xP

You have too much information proving your point D:

Edited by Manoka, 23 October 2013 - 10:49 AM.

Member Awards ()

#31 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Piss poor gun laws maybe?

But that in itself disputes the claim that if guns were banned in the US if wouldn't stop illegal imports from neighbouring countries falling into the hands of criminals since Mexican criminals get there weapons from the states so that leaves Canada.... So the US may as well in essence be an island since the illegal weapons would be coming from the sea and if that was a problem then gun laws wouldn't be effective in the UK.

But I know the powerful gun lobbyists there have been banging the drum of scaremongering propaganda for decades of no guns = hell on earth :P

Member Awards ()

#32 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Piss poor gun laws maybe?

But that in itself disputes the claim that if guns were banned in the US if wouldn't stop illegal imports from neighbouring countries falling into the hands of criminals since Mexican criminals get there weapons from the states so that leaves Canada.... So the US may as well in essence be an island since the illegal weapons would be coming from the sea and if that was a problem then gun laws wouldn't be effective in the UK.

But I know the powerful gun lobbyists there have been banging the drum of scaremongering propaganda for decades of no guns = hell on earth :P

So you don't have any sources proving that the U.S. is arming these country's?

And that no or very little guns would be smuggled in?

Member Awards ()

#33 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

1) So you don't have any sources proving that the U.S. is arming these country's?

2) And that no or very little guns would be smuggled in?

1) Where did I say the U.S was arming countries? Its a known fact guns and ammo is crossing the border to Mexican cartels.

2) Maybe look at stable countries with gun control for that answer.

Anyways arguing with diehard gunmen is like arguing with fanatic followers of religion... pointless.

Member Awards ()

#34 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

1) So you don't have any sources proving that the U.S. is arming these country's?

2) And that no or very little guns would be smuggled in?

1) Where did I say the U.S was arming countries? Its a known fact guns and ammo is crossing the border to Mexican cartels.

2) Maybe look at stable countries with gun control for that answer.

Anyways arguing with diehard gunmen is like arguing with fanatic followers of religion... pointless.

1.) Okay, sure, how many?

2.) This is completely useless. The U.S. does have gun control, such as not allowing military assault rifles, rocket launchers, hand grenades, machine guns, and lots of other things. Like a howitzer or tank and such. Switzerland and Norway and New Guinea have a lot of guns, and low crime, so that seems to be irrelevant. And reporting and recording differences means that differences between intentional homicide and murder, and "violence against persons" and "violent crimes" relatively hard to directly compare, so it can seem misleading; only investigated or proven crimes are reported by some country's, where as all reported crime, even lied or double counts (such as 3 people calling in a robbery) are all counted in others. Comparing it is very difficult; Mexico only investigates about 5% of their murders, and less than that are solved.

3.) This is just a cop out. I believe in gun control, just not in so far as banning arbitrary features of firearms, like an "assault weapons ban", or all firearms. As compared to banning weapons not used for assault?

Edited by Manoka, 23 October 2013 - 06:14 PM.

Member Awards ()

#35 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ellis
  • Nation Name:Straccia
  • IRC Nick:Ellis
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

How about 250,000? 

http://www.csmonitor...xico-every-year

http://latino.foxnew...co-study-finds/

http://www.google.co...NOJzZkAJV2R93mg

Also, the US does sell military assault rifles, just configured for semi-automatic, and easily convertible to full auto guns.

Member Awards ()

#36 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

How about 250,000? 

http://www.csmonitor...xico-every-year

http://latino.foxnew...co-study-finds/

http://www.google.co...NOJzZkAJV2R93mg

Also, the US does sell military assault rifles, just configured for semi-automatic, and easily convertible to full auto guns.

They don't count as assault rifles or military unless they actually are. They're not only semi-automatic, but have a number of other things that make it difficult for them to fire fully automatic.

Also those don't actually show any U.S. rifles into the hands of Mexican cartels, it claims because the prices are so low they must be selling them illegally. Which makes no sense, since A- you'd expect illegal guns would be going for higher prices, so why would they lower prices B- The demand in Texas is enormously high, which is a border state and C- Is based off of the assumption that a profitable business must be doing something illegal, which is disgusting and insane.

"“The Mexican demand explains that abundance and the successful nature of the business,” Muggah said."- Or, it could be that New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas buy guns A LOT.

The number is completely arbitrary in any case.

Other issues in the article are very clear to see.

"The traffic is reflected in the disproportionately high number of federally licensed firearms dealers along the US side of the border, said Robert Muggah, another of the four scholars. Of the 51,300 retail gun shops in the United States that hold federal licenses, some 6,700 of them are concentrated in the four US states that border Mexico, Muggah said." If we want to take what this article has to say seriously, the population of California is 38 million, the population of Texas is 26 million, the population of Arizona is 6 million, and the population of New Mexico is 2 million. All together, this is 72 million. 6700 out of 51,300 retail stores is 1 out of 7.65, or 13% of firearm stores. There are about 314 million people in the U.S., or 314/72, or 23% of the population resides in border states. This is a disproportionate amount, in that there are less gun stores per person in border states. The guy didn't even bother to do math right on that one.

As for your last bit, I'll copy and past something I must have copy pasted a dozen times.

The GAO report was based on traceable firearms, not total firearms, so those articles can be misleading or even do math wrong themselves.

Although some discrepancy exists which suggests "87% of guns recovered in Mexico are of U.S. origin"[1][2], According to the Department of Homeland security, this can be misleading. According to the GAO report, some 30,000 firearms were seized from criminals by Mexican authorities in 2008. Of these 30,000 firearms, information pertaining to 7,200 of them (24 percent) was submitted to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) for tracing. Of these 7,200 guns, only about 4,000 could be traced by the ATF, and of these 4,000, some 3,480 (87 percent) were shown to have come from the United States. Therefore the 3,480 figure only represents a total of 11.5% of the total 30,000 guns recovered, indicating that the other 90% or so weren't even traceable. These weapons were not likely to be of legal U.S., European, or other nation's origins that comply to the serial tracking laws, which include chemically retrievable serial coding nearly impossible to remove without destroying the gun. [1][2][3]

Further more, In 2009, Mexico reported that they held 305,424 confiscated firearms [1][2], but submitted data of only 69,808 recovered firearms to the ATF for tracing between 2007 and 2009. This is roughly a 23% sample of total gun population. The ATF requests "to only submit weapons for tracing that have a likelihood of tracing back to the U.S .... instead of simply wasting resources on tracing firearms that will not trigger a U.S. source." As a result, it's likely that the vast majority of the 305,424 firearms weren't even of American origin. Considering this, then only roughly 1.1% of total firearms recovered in Mexico were traceable to the U.S. It is also notable that there have been 150,000 desertions from the Mexican army during 2003 to 2009[1], or about one-eighth of the Mexican army deserts annually; the Mexican military has a force of approximately 192,000. Many of these deserters are known to take weapons with them, some of which have been provided to Mexico by the U.S. military. It's not that difficult to see how it's unlikely that only a small portion of firearms come from civilian legal U.S. origins.

Put another way, while the 87% figure is almost true, it is 87% of 55% of 24% of 10% of all weapons, or roughly 1.1% of all weapons, and given that 1/8th of the Mexican army deserts annually [1] and usually brings their illegally obtained weapons with them, the vast majority of illegal weapons of U.S origin likely are not coming from civilian stores. The statistics show that getting legal civilian firearms from stores and re purposing them for crime is fairly low.

Believe it or not I anticipated this.

But thanks for using the same source! :D

More to add is that nearly 15 million guns are unregistered in Mexico, mostly Ak-47's, the most commonly used weapon around the entire world, are not of U.S. origin.

Edited by Manoka, 23 October 2013 - 08:07 PM.

Member Awards ()

#37 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

2.) This is completely useless. The U.S. does have gun control, such as not allowing military assault rifles, rocket launchers, hand grenades, machine guns, and lots of other things. Like a howitzer or tank and such. Switzerland and Norway and New Guinea have a lot of guns, and low crime, so that seems to be irrelevant. And reporting and recording differences means that differences between intentional homicide and murder, and "violence against persons" and "violent crimes" relatively hard to directly compare, so it can seem misleading; only investigated or proven crimes are reported by some country's, where as all reported crime, even lied or double counts (such as 3 people calling in a robbery) are all counted in others. Comparing it is very difficult; Mexico only investigates about 5% of their murders, and less than that are solved.

3.) This is just a cop out. I believe in gun control, just not in so far as banning arbitrary features of firearms, like an "assault weapons ban", or all firearms. As compared to banning weapons not used for assault?

1) When the US government can only estimate how many guns are owned by its own people, then who knows.

2) Ah so gun control to you is not being able to have weapons the military uses :crazy:

Switzerland doesn't have a gun culture of self-defense, every male goes through conscription and considered part of a militia for national security and until recently was able to keep their weapon. But now have to buy and provide reason for owning the gun of which self-defense isn't one of them. There is strict gun control too since you can't carry them in public so they must remain at home, same with collectors apart from those who are hunters which make up a small percentage.

Norway doesn't have a gun culture of self-defense, they're avid hunters and partake outdoor sports and have strict gun control.

Strict gun control with low gun crime does work when you drop the idea everyone-is-out-to-kill-you-so-must-own-a-gun culture that the NRA propaganda scaremongering tactics inbeds in the populations minds, which ironically makes gun homicides a common place.

Mexico is technically a lawless country since the cartels have the arms and the membership numbers. Some relatives of mine were in Mexico and the simple process of moving money between locations and businesses requires the army to cordon off the area for protection of potential robbery during the transaction.

3) So you are for strict gun control like in Norway and Switzerland?

Member Awards ()

#38 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

1) When the US government can only estimate how many guns are owned by its own people, then who knows.

2) Ah so gun control to you is not being able to have weapons the military uses :crazy:

Switzerland doesn't have a gun culture of self-defense, every male goes through conscription and considered part of a militia for national security and until recently was able to keep their weapon. But now have to buy and provide reason for owning the gun of which self-defense isn't one of them. There is strict gun control too since you can't carry them in public so they must remain at home, same with collectors apart from those who are hunters which make up a small percentage.

Norway doesn't have a gun culture of self-defense, they're avid hunters and partake outdoor sports and have strict gun control.

Strict gun control with low gun crime does work when you drop the idea everyone-is-out-to-kill-you-so-must-own-a-gun culture that the NRA propaganda scaremongering tactics inbeds in the populations minds, which ironically makes gun homicides a common place.

Mexico is technically a lawless country since the cartels have the arms and the membership numbers. Some relatives of mine were in Mexico and the simple process of moving money between locations and businesses requires the army to cordon off the area for protection of potential robbery during the transaction.

3) So you are for strict gun control like in Norway and Switzerland?

In Switzerland open carry is common all the time. In fact, it's handguns and concealed carry that are highly regulated; and in both country's, fully automatic military weapons are more common than semi-automatic civilian ones and are a common sight among people.

Would I mind transitioning towards a situation like there's; not really. But there would be resistance among the American people.

There is a heavy emphasis on military participation, in norway it's required, and in Switzerland incredibly encouraged, to the point where you're pretty much obligated to join. 

If everyone joined the military and served in a societal beneficial roll in some capacity, say providing food aid and whatnot, and the program allowing the poor or other people to participate, and eventually enlist for life, even if it was simply in humanitarian roles, like cleaning up litter or simply standing guard at places, I would like it, yes. A militia or military style society where everyone at 18 goes through psychiatric evaluation and does some kind of community service seems okay to me. But given the current and previous political stand points there is a large objection to the military in general and any obligations regarding required public service. The likelihood of a system like this developing is probably pretty low. Therefore a private system of ownership seems the only logical option.

Edited by Manoka, 24 October 2013 - 04:01 PM.

Member Awards ()

#39 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

I think you're getting Switzerland and Sweden mixed up.

Member Awards ()

#40 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

"Oh gee, more topics on the Chat Room, how interesting~ Lets see how this one's coming along"

Blah blah herpa derp I have no brains blah blah Switzerland is the best nation on earth because they carry guns hurr durr not cause they're more educated than us durr clearly more educated than me derp blah herp durr.

Durr durr derp blah blah blah Europe is totally a state in latin america blah blah blah spanish swedish swiss blah blah guns blah derp blah blah blah.

Freedom blah Murica blah From my cold dead hands blah fully automagic death machine is good for kids blah blah blah.

Durr derp blah blah blah.

Oh that Manoka :3

However there is a point to be made there, the reason other countries with guns don't shoot eachother up like swiss cheese is because they're all far more educated. They sorta... you know... know better. Sorta like how the shooters are never from the wealthy families in the USA. Cause they're educated too. The not so well off families aren't. =/ And that sucks.

But if you're not ready for the responsibility, why are you doing it anyway? That's my problem with all of this. You're all unaware of the level of difference between you and the European states. They're really, really, really different. And you can't use them as pointers for your own nation, unless you also want to go full socialist and pay for *everyone*'s education. And healthcare. And 60-70% tax. But that'd be robbery... right?

So, do what we did. "Want to shoot eachother? NO GUNS FOR YOU!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users