• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

So, I was talking to IPB earlier.

I'm an avid supported of the 2nd Amendment, but I think what Obama said today said it best. We don't need these high capacity magazines, there's absolutely no reason for it.

Feel free to give me reasons why someone should be able to carry a magazine with 15+ rounds in it?

Member Awards ()

#2 Jon32492

Jon32492
  • Former Member
  • 4610 posts
  • Ruler Name:Jon32492
  • Nation Name:Acorendra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I agree with what you are saying but....

Posted Image

Sorry, I've been wanting to post this pic for a while now since the start of the batman stuff. :P

Member Awards ()

#3 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

The second amendment was added to the Bill of Rights for self-protection and hunting. You do not need an assault rifle or automatic weapon for home defense and an AK-47 defeats the purpose on the hunting aspect. I see no reason to have clips over 12 rounds TBH. And yes I am a second amendment supporter.

Member Awards ()

#4 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I agree with what you are saying but....

Posted Image

Sorry, I've been wanting to post this pic for a while now since the start of the batman stuff. :P

Member Awards ()

#5 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, basically this argument isn't going to work.

I'm pretty sure the only place my argument against freedom of arms does not work is at the "It's a sport level", however, the point is that an assault rifle is not necessary for sporting.

Nor is a high capacity drum of ammunition.

Nor are laser pointers, speciality ammunition, etc.... heck an argument could be made along these lines for large calibre weapons. It's just unsafe, immensely unsafe and unnecessary.

Now, as for Jon, cause you've gone and attracted my ire (:P), Well yes. I agree. We have crims with guns in Australia. You know what the difference is? The best they get are 9 mil pistols or the odd sawn-off hacked together job. And the police are *far* better armed. Also, because it is considered highly illegal, it gets special attention, and there are vast departments dedicated to hunting down gun smugglers and distributors.

Now I'm not about to turn around and tell you to get rid of all your guns in a country wide crackdown (which would work by the way, because assumably the only people holding onto their guns are necessarily people who intend to use them, and therefore are a threat to public safety *anyway*, but I digress...), but at least, for the love of all things good and cuddly, freaking ban anything that isn't a bolt action rifle or semi auto pistol. And keep everything at the "Not liable to punch a hole in a concrete wall" calibre.

Now this won't *solve* your problems. No for that your government would actually have to grow some balls and step in to your precious privacy and start bringing you to the present state of civilisation, but at least it will make such dangerous practically military grade weaponry tremendously hard to get, meaning two things:

1. Suddenly, you can crack down on this in a very simple binary manner. Either you have an assault rifle, and are a crim, or you don't, and you're not.

2. The only people capable of getting their hands on such weapons are gangs or other suitably funded and connected underworld organisations, meaning the only time people are at risk are in gangland scenarios. Psychotic kids/schizophrenic neuroscience students/the odd madman won't be able to get them!

Now I expect a lot of people to go "No but" and really, screw you. The only country in the world where the average schizophrenic can become a murderous SWAT lookalike from hell is yours. The only country in the world where such hardware is legal over the counter is also yours. This is not merely a correlation, this is causation. What you should be doing is acting to modernise the US for the 21st century and sparing your children, children's children and children's children's children the misery that the people in that town have had to go through.

#6 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Dammit Jon, you stole my post. :(

But yeah, 15 round magz does seem a lot for a civilian, since it's half the normal for any assault rifle or SMG.

I think 8 rounds is fine.

Member Awards ()

#7 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, basically this argument isn't going to work.

I'm pretty sure the only place my argument against freedom of arms does not work is at the "It's a sport level", however, the point is that an assault rifle is not necessary for sporting.

Nor is a high capacity drum of ammunition.

Nor are laser pointers, speciality ammunition, etc.... heck an argument could be made along these lines for large calibre weapons. It's just unsafe, immensely unsafe and unnecessary.

Now, as for Jon, cause you've gone and attracted my ire (:P), Well yes. I agree. We have crims with guns in Australia. You know what the difference is? The best they get are 9 mil pistols or the odd sawn-off hacked together job. And the police are *far* better armed. Also, because it is considered highly illegal, it gets special attention, and there are vast departments dedicated to hunting down gun smugglers and distributors.

Now I'm not about to turn around and tell you to get rid of all your guns in a country wide crackdown (which would work by the way, because assumably the only people holding onto their guns are necessarily people who intend to use them, and therefore are a threat to public safety *anyway*, but I digress...), but at least, for the love of all things good and cuddly, freaking ban anything that isn't a bolt action rifle or semi auto pistol. And keep everything at the "Not liable to punch a hole in a concrete wall" calibre.

Now this won't *solve* your problems. No for that your government would actually have to grow some balls and step in to your precious privacy and start bringing you to the present state of civilisation, but at least it will make such dangerous practically military grade weaponry tremendously hard to get, meaning two things:

1. Suddenly, you can crack down on this in a very simple binary manner. Either you have an assault rifle, and are a crim, or you don't, and you're not.

2. The only people capable of getting their hands on such weapons are gangs or other suitably funded and connected underworld organisations, meaning the only time people are at risk are in gangland scenarios. Psychotic kids/schizophrenic neuroscience students/the odd madman won't be able to get them!

Now I expect a lot of people to go "No but" and really, screw you. The only country in the world where the average schizophrenic can become a murderous SWAT lookalike from hell is yours. The only country in the world where such hardware is legal over the counter is also yours. This is not merely a correlation, this is causation. What you should be doing is acting to modernise the US for the 21st century and sparing your children, children's children and children's children's children the misery that the people in that town have had to go through.

I'm not against this at all. You all know I favor Melee combat to anything dealing with a firearm. And I like that you noted the gangs and stuff. Some folks over look that.

But I don't really care what happens about the guns. People are gonna have guns and stuff until we can settle all the different conflicts going around. Folks are scared, and don't have the want or the discipline to learn to defend themselves in a more less primitive manner. And yes I just said fighting with your hands is more primitive then a gun. Come at me bro. :nyancat:

Member Awards ()

#8 Infopowerbroker

Infopowerbroker

Rambo of the Flowers

• [Redacted]
  • 8461 posts
  • Ruler Name:Infopowerbroker
  • Nation Name:Maggie Walkerville
  • IRC Nick:Infopowerbroker
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Redezra, I respectfully disagree on many of your points, but, to avoid turning this into a flame thread, will politely leave it at that.

Member Awards ()

#9 nicktheww2fanatic

nicktheww2fanatic
  • Former Member
  • 280 posts
  • Ruler Name:Nicktheww2fanatic
  • Nation Name:AK Users
  • IRC Nick:Nick|Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

uhhh....what do you gain by limiting magazine capacity? Nothing...

Member Awards ()

#10 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Ruler Name:Edward Reed
  • Nation Name:Plutonia
  • IRC Nick:Edward{RnR}
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I don't own any guns with more than a 10 clip because in competition you can only fire 10 into a target but if someone wanted to I don't see a reason to stop them from getting one.

Edit: As for the "why" its a freedom I and many others enjoy: first it starts with 15+ rounds then it goes to 10 and it keeps going till we lose that freedom. I expect that line to be called NRA/GOP bs but I feel the same way about freedom of speech, you make a small limitation and you get on a slippery slop. I have no problems defending my freedoms and have the arsenal to do so. If people want to put their faith blindly with a corrupt system then good luck to you but if someone goes at me I intend to empty my entire 10 round mag into them and I wouldn't care, you come at me with a violent intent and you have lost the right to live in my book.

Edited by Edward Reed, 26 July 2012 - 07:12 PM.

Member Awards ()

#11 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

uhhh....what do you gain by limiting magazine capacity? Nothing...

you prevent massacres. for the love of God, yea guns are good. But allowing people to unload like that is insane.

Member Awards ()

#12 nicktheww2fanatic

nicktheww2fanatic
  • Former Member
  • 280 posts
  • Ruler Name:Nicktheww2fanatic
  • Nation Name:AK Users
  • IRC Nick:Nick|Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

I own 1 with a 17rd magazine, and a few with 10.

Member Awards ()

#13 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Real men use bolt action. And PV why fight with your fists when you can throw epic kicks.

Member Awards ()

#14 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Real men use bolt action. And PV why fight with your fists when you can throw epic kicks.

Bolt Action is fine for target practice, learning how to shoot or if you are fighting in the early 20th :awesome:

Member Awards ()

#15 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Fist, Kicks, anything melee to me is the right way to go. Knife throwing I'll also go for. It takes skill to throw a knife. Especially if you don't want to hit the person with the handle...which would only do anything if hit in the eye.

But yeah Melee. WOOO!!!

Member Awards ()

#16 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

You're gonna hate me for this, but:

Freedom is the enemy of Safety.

Now I'm not about to go nanny state on you, but seriously, some freedoms can be reasonably lost.

#17 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Fist, Kicks, anything melee to me is the right way to go. Knife throwing I'll also go for. It takes skill to throw a knife. Especially if you don't want to hit the person with the handle...which would only do anything if hit in the eye.

But yeah Melee. WOOO!!!

I tried to explain that to someone in my self defense class but they thought I was crazy

Member Awards ()

#18 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

But yeah Melee. WOOO!!!

I tried to explain that to someone in my self defense class but they thought I was crazy

Yeah...many would say that...it's sad. :(

Member Awards ()

#19 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Now I'm not about to go nanny state on you, but seriously, some freedoms can be reasonably lost.

Those who would give up freedom for safety deserve neither and will lose both.

Member Awards ()

#20 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

I agree 100%.

Give someone too much freedom, they will abuse it. Some may keep it where it should, but there will always be the dumbass who wants to abuse his freedoms. This is exactly why, communist countries do not have a lot of criminals. They keep you on a tight leash. Which, I wouldn't mind, since I used to live that way, since my father was a very strict man, and made sure there was order. He's no longer like that now, but the point is...the leash is good once in a while...or everyday. :awesome:

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users