• P. Emeritus
  • 1202 posts
  • Ruler Name:Dan2680
  • Nation Name:Red Army
  • IRC Nick:Dan2680
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

I agree with Redezra, really there is no reason for average people to be carrying firearms meant for anything other than sport or hunting. A huge majority of the people owning guns (and definitely the ones with potential to own one) are not capable of owning one responsibly.

I don't think there have been many shootings where I live at all. Mind you, you have a few stabbings from time to time and the like... but shootings are very rare (city of 75,000). I doubt most cities of similar size in the states can say the same. The only thing I can remember in the near past was a bunch of druggies held themselves up in their town house (no one got shot though, they ended up surrendering).

Being able to own military grade weapons is simply ridiculous... why does anyone need an AK-47 with armour piercing rounds? Or a .50 cal sniper rifle? Or an automatic shotgun? Hell I have heard stories of a couple people with automatics holding off a dozen police officers (killing/wounding several). We have gang violence, especially in a few cities, but nothing compared to the states.

Member Awards ()

#22 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

You're gonna hate me for this, but:

Freedom is the enemy of Safety.

Now I'm not about to go nanny state on you, but seriously, some freedoms can be reasonably lost.

Those who would give up freedom for safety deserve neither and will lose both.

You have been taught a lie, quite simply. And if you believe it you are simply deluded.

I have less freedoms, and yet I am safer. And I am happier, and my country is doing better. And yet... I am still free, and I am still safe. Same for the European countries (less so on the economic front, but that's what happens when you don't pay taxes).

You have more freedoms. And you are unsafe.

#23 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

PV I love throwing knives too. I spend hours in my yard practicing so I can stick it in a tree every time. It is a really hard skill to master but it is well worth it.

Member Awards ()

#24 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

PV I love throwing knives too. I spend hours in my yard practicing so I can stick it in a tree every time. It is a really hard skill to master but it is well worth it.

Very hard, and then the wind is the real thing you gotta look out for. Like throwing a football. I ended up hitting a friend of mine just because of the wind. But luckily, he was hit with the handle. I was thinking I killed him. :omg:

Member Awards ()

#25 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Lol Nice one PV

#26 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Ruler Name:Edward Reed
  • Nation Name:Plutonia
  • IRC Nick:Edward{RnR}
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

You have been taught a lie, quite simply. And if you believe it you are simply deluded.

I have less freedoms, and yet I am safer. And I am happier, and my country is doing better. And yet... I am still free, and I am still safe. Same for the European countries (less so on the economic front, but that's what happens when you don't pay taxes).

I don't care about safety that comes and goes but having freedoms is the best. Thats my opinion and you can call it whatever you want but its correct.

Member Awards ()

#27 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Well, how does it feel to have the deaths of every person killed by a gun that could have been stopped by this but wasn't due to your selfishness weigh solely on your conscience?

#28 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well, how does it feel to have the deaths of every person killed by a gun that could have been stopped by this but wasn't due to your selfishness weigh solely on your conscience?

I don't feel that at all gotta live life to the fullest and when your number is called you go to the grave with no regrets. Also I have never pulled the trigger on someone so no I have in no way contributed to any deaths

Edited by Edward Reed, 26 July 2012 - 08:09 PM.

Member Awards ()

#29 Dan2680

Dan2680
  • P. Emeritus
  • 1202 posts
  • Ruler Name:Dan2680
  • Nation Name:Red Army
  • IRC Nick:Dan2680
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

I don't care about safety that comes and goes but having freedoms is the best. Thats my opinion and you can call it whatever you want but its correct.

So with that thinking... living in Somalia would be better, because you literally have the freedom to do anything you wish? Own any gun or anything you can get your hands on that kills people? A tank if you could find one...

Honestly, for what the 2nd amendment is today... its wrong. It made sense when the British could attack at any time but... you guys have a military now.

Just saying :)

PS, I love shooting guns, but I don't think I should be able to own AK-47s and the like.

Member Awards ()

#30 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

So with that thinking... living in Somalia would be better, because you literally have the freedom to do anything you wish? Own any gun or anything you can get your hands on that kills people? A tank if you could find one...

Honestly, for what the 2nd amendment is today... its wrong. It made sense when the British could attack at any time but... you guys have a military now.

Just saying :)

PS, I love shooting guns, but I don't think I should be able to own AK-47s and the like.

Thats taking it to the extreme, I still believe that we need a code of laws, but my point was that safety is fleeting but its hard to get freedoms back once you lose them

Member Awards ()

#31 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Uh... safety isn't fleeting.

And you are *so* paranoid. Why? Nobody is out to get you. Seriously.

#32 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Uh... safety isn't fleeting.

And you are *so* paranoid. Why? Nobody is out to get you. Seriously.

I don't believe I came off as paranoid so please reread what I said and get back to me on that one.

Member Awards ()

#33 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

"Hard to get freedoms back"

The hell would you need them back for?

#34 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

"Hard to get freedoms back"

The hell would you need them back for?

many people committed their whole lives to getting those freedoms and many died along the way. Its would be such a disgrace to their legacies if we threw them away for a hope of safety.

Member Awards ()

#35 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hope? No.

Assurance? Yes.

They fought for your freedom from tyrrany. Not for your freedom from sanity.

#36 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

safety can never be guaranteed.

Member Awards ()

#37 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Can't really win on this one. I agree that guns are weapons of destruction and nothing more but I still like them. Call me sick but I get a thrill out of it. Man is a natural hunter (and I guess gatherer too) so probably somewhere in our genes we feel a natural tendency towards weapons. I'm not saying it's true for everyone but it is true for me. I would not consider myself a violent person but sometimes when I'm in an airsoft war or sparring for Tae Kwan Do I go crazy. I literally feel like I'm high on adrenaline and my friends look at me like I'm crazy. That's the only defense I have for guns and I know it's a lousy one. This actually furthers your argument against guns. But, that's what happens to me. If I had to and my life was in danger I would kill and I would actually become a raging monster (I have a hulk inside me) but I would never do it unless I was in danger. I'm sure this instinct exists inside many people (that's why they have guns). Something tells them they must have a weapon so they buy guns. But when a person goes crazy, this instinct causes them to kill irrationally. Maybe they feel like they are in danger so they kill those who they view as enemies even if it is just an innocent child.

This is all I've got and I know I'm probably wrong especially since I basically said guns are meant to kill but I feel it's a valid reason for owning a gun. Then again not everyone should be allowed to have a gun but the only way is guns for all or guns for none.

Member Awards ()

#38 Edward Reed

Edward Reed
  • Foreign Diplomat
  • 310 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Can't really win on this one. I agree that guns are weapons of destruction and nothing more but I still like them. Call me sick but I get a thrill out of it. Man is a natural hunter (and I guess gatherer too) so probably somewhere in our genes we feel a natural tendency towards weapons. I'm not saying it's true for everyone but it is true for me. I would not consider myself a violent person but sometimes when I'm in an airsoft war or sparring for Tae Kwan Do I go crazy. I literally feel like I'm high on adrenaline and my friends look at me like I'm crazy. That's the only defense I have for guns and I know it's a lousy one. This actually furthers your argument against guns. But, that's what happens to me. If I had to and my life was in danger I would kill and I would actually become a raging monster (I have a hulk inside me) but I would never do it unless I was in danger. I'm sure this instinct exists inside many people (that's why they have guns). Something tells them they must have a weapon so they buy guns. But when a person goes crazy, this instinct causes them to kill irrationally. Maybe they feel like they are in danger so they kill those who they view as enemies even if it is just an innocent child.

This is all I've got and I know I'm probably wrong especially since I basically said guns are meant to kill but I feel it's a valid reason for owning a gun. Then again not everyone should be allowed to have a gun but the only way is guns for all or guns for none.

I like this response. You make a good point and don't try to hide away from the truth of the matter +1

Member Awards ()

#39 KingTopherXXIII

KingTopherXXIII
  • 897 posts
  • Ruler Name:Sturm23
  • Nation Name:Sturm
  • IRC Nick:KingTopherXXIII
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Getting rids of guns in America would almost definetly start a riot(s)/revolution. There are so many guns and militias in America that it would not be a wise move. I am not saying I think that owning high-capacity guns is great, just that there are major emotions involved with this topic and would not create safety in no means.

Member Awards ()

#40 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

uhhh....what do you gain by limiting magazine capacity? Nothing...

You gain more money in magazine sales.
Extra mags = more bullets.

XD

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users